All Things Gophers Basketball 2017 Recruiting Thread

Both Washington and Wilson have been retweeting stuff about their offers from Minnesota, though Wilson seems to have done the same after his offer from St. John's a few days ago. It looks like St. John's hasn't offered Washington though, we might be his first offer, hard to tell because it seems these guys don't have Rivals profiles yet. Wilson also has a picture saying "road to McDonald's All American" at the top of his twitter, which might give some idea as to his talent level, other than the fact that we've offered him a scholarship. Well I think that's enough twitter over analysis for one post.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Wright is 2017

John is a nice player, really long and athletic shot blocker but his offensive game is still pretty raw. He went right at Henry Ellenson during the T Wolves shootout and held his own.

Evan Daniels: 2017 Intro: Goanar Mar

Mar has accumulated scholarship offers from Nebraska and Iowa State. Minnesota’s Richard Pitino and Marquette’s Steve Wojciechowski have been in to see him this season, as have assistants from Miami, Iowa, Michigan, Xavier and Oregon.

“He went to Nebraska, Iowa State and Iowa in the fall,” Carroll said when asked about unofficial visits. “He’s been to a couple Big Ten games to see the Gophers. He went to the Illinois game and Rutgers.”

Minnesota has a strong connection to Gar and his high school and have been actively recruiting the 2017 prospect.

“It’s been consistent,” Carroll said of Gar’s recruitment. “Ben Johnson is the point of contact. Ben played at De La Salle. I talk to Ben a couple of times a week. He’s been pretty consistent with it. The deal with them is to make sure it’s a no brainer.”

http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Go Gophers!!

If the Gophers can somehow manage to land their targets from the local talent in the 2016 and 2017 classes, they are going to be in very good shape for the future. Easier said than done, but I think they have a legit shot for each of them. The 2016's of Hurt and Coffey along with the 2017's of Trent Jr., Mar, and Theo John all would appear to be very good fits in Pitino's system. Brad Davison and McKinley Wright could be high-majors from 2017 as well when all is said and done.

Evan Daniels: 2017 Intro: Goanar Mar

Mar has accumulated scholarship offers from Nebraska and Iowa State. Minnesota’s Richard Pitino and Marquette’s Steve Wojciechowski have been in to see him this season, as have assistants from Miami, Iowa, Michigan, Xavier and Oregon.

“He went to Nebraska, Iowa State and Iowa in the fall,” Carroll said when asked about unofficial visits. “He’s been to a couple Big Ten games to see the Gophers. He went to the Illinois game and Rutgers.”

Minnesota has a strong connection to Gar and his high school and have been actively recruiting the 2017 prospect.

“It’s been consistent,” Carroll said of Gar’s recruitment. “Ben Johnson is the point of contact. Ben played at De La Salle. I talk to Ben a couple of times a week. He’s been pretty consistent with it. The deal with them is to make sure it’s a no brainer.”

http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Go Gophers!!

Channeling my inner Brain Trust and saying "Once they offer him a Scholarship then the pursuit becomes active" although I admit I feel dirty doing it.

Gophs waiting to see if Mar has another growth spurt before pulling the trigger... until that happens he is on the watch/maybe list. Has nice foot speed.

Gophs waiting to see if Mar has another growth spurt before pulling the trigger... until that happens he is on the watch/maybe list. Has nice foot speed.

I think you really have to see how he handles being "the guy" before offering. Next year DLS won't have Jarvis, Sacar, or Collins so we'll learn a lot more about how good Mar can be.

I think you really have to see how he handles being "the guy" before offering. Next year DLS won't have Jarvis, Sacar, or Collins so we'll learn a lot more about how good Mar can be.

He was "the guy" this summer for D1 Minnesota at his respective age. They've seen him be the go-to player before. Mar makes a ton of sense because he's long, active, and can play either forward position. He's a perfect fit and he's good enough for an offer. But the staff needs to wait and see how the scholarship situation will work out and determine needs. We're a long ways out from 2017 Signing Day.

I don't really think Mar deserves an offer right now. Give him this summer to gain some muscle (needs a lot of it). He's another one of those young guys that might have the potential, but Pitino is waiting for development

Goanar Mar, a 6-foot-7 combination forward out of Minneapolis (Minn.) De La Salle, drew the eye of college coaches this past summer playing with D1 Minnesota.
Mar has continued to reel in interest during his sophomore season. Even playing on a loaded high school team with players like Minnesota bound guard Jarvis Johnson and Sacar Anim, Mar has managed to stick out.
“Gonar is getting 13 or 14 points a game,” D1 Minnesota coach Nick Carroll told Scout. “He guards the best player on every team.”
“I’ve been around some good high-level guys but I’ve never seen a kid that has been as versatile defensively,” he added. “He blocks more jump shots than anybody I’ve seen. He deflects passes, runs the floor and his skill development [is going well].”

Folks should take into account that this is the first time Sacar has been asked to do anything more than be a #4 or #5 scorer and simply slash and score around the rim. A few years ago he couldn't dribble or shoot and was simply a really athletic kid who was a good defender and a nice slasher/finisher. He always had high major athleticism but not the all around game. It appears that this year, with the departure of 3 senior teammates now playing college ball, he's being asked to be much more of a scorer than ever. Jarvis is more of a distributer than a pure scoring PG, Collins is more of an inside, mid range guy and Mar is young so Sacar is De's perimeter scorer and he's responding well with a really improved game. If his jumper becomes consistent I'd love to see him here. That said we need to remember that Pitino doesn't care so much about distinctions between the 2 and 3 on offense. He really wants 3 guys on the perimeter that can handle the rock and shoot. That's why Coleman was a poor fit. Pitino isn't all that interested in a guy that can't create offense for himself and others on the wing and IMO that is the hold up with Sacar right now.

He was "the guy" this summer for D1 Minnesota at his respective age. They've seen him be the go-to player before. Mar makes a ton of sense because he's long, active, and can play either forward position. He's a perfect fit and he's good enough for an offer.

His teammate Michael Hurt was pretty good as well. ;)

Seriously, I think the beauty of that team was they had a lot of different weapons.. lots of good players who could and did step up in different scenarios.. I didn't see Mar as 'the guy'...

Top Bottom