All Things Gophers Basketball 2017 Recruiting Thread

Your low post count might give the impression that you just came by to crap on us by post something negative, whether that was your intention or not. I'll give the benefit of the doubt that you're another fan just giving us an update. McKinley Wright is visiting for the football game on Thursday. Race Thompson and Matthew Hurt will also be visiting unofficially. I'd imagine that both of them are high priority targets for us in their respective classes.

Troll, not fan. It's all over Twitter this morning and yet newbie rushes on here to use post #2 to "inform us" of the most negative news all summer.

A miss, but the cupboard is far from bare. On to the next one!

IALTO. The gift of Pitino keeps on giving. What a F*ing disaster. How many more season tickets do we need to lose?

On the bright side, it looks like Wright is a near lock, and we still have a decent shot at John. They're good players, not chopped liver. But I stand by my sentiment that this recruiting season is a huge opportunity lost. There's no question that Pitino and staff work their butts off in recruiting, but just that and $4 will get you a latte at Caribou. This is a results oriented business.

The last time Pitino had a four-star athlete (Andre Hollins), they won an NIT championship. Maybe I'd just be happier if I accept that as the program's ceiling in the 21st century. Hopefully their newest four-star athlete (Coffey) can get them back in the postseason and out of the basement of the conference.

Don't care one lick where the recruits come from. Get good players that compliment each other and stay out of trouble. Mission accomplished.

Diedhou was probably a bust and wish we had one additional scholarship but thats life.

Troll, not fan. It's all over Twitter this morning and yet newbie rushes on here to use post #2 to "inform us" of the most negative news all summer.

Relax, just saw it on Twitter and noticed no one had said anything. Not trolling anyone. I wanted this kid to be a gopher.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

hmmm- set up visit one day following McKinley's D Day

FWIW Bede also tweeted at McKinley something like "hmm wonder who it's gonna be ;)" regarding his decision.

If we land Wright and Isaiah Washington does not get the offer from Syracuse, is there any other team recruiting Washington as hard as us? I would love to have both but I don't see anyway we take two guards.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Isaiah Washington visiting this weekend

Crystal ball says 62% Minnesota. Jerry Meyer flipped his prediction to the Gophers a couple days ago, and another guy flipped his just today. If Syracuse still isn't offering, I'd like to think we're one of the top options. If McKinley Wright is indeed leaning Gophers and is deciding in a week, maybe Pitino urges Washington to s*** or get off the pot this weekend? Would love to have him here.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitut...mond-For-Boys-133770/CurrentExpertPredictions

Hopefully we can seal the deal on Washington. I've seen both play and I, for one would rather have Isaiah Washington, simply because I think he's the better player and a better scorer.

Isaiah Washington visiting this weekend

I've said it before, and I'll say it once more...I don't understand all the attention being paid to Wright when Washington is rated so much higher. Sure, McKinley is a local guy, but do fans even bother to look at the rankings? In the most recent rankings Wright is outside the top 200. Washington is ranked #65 which is higher than every MN player (including Reuvers and Davison) not named Jericho Sims. If Syracuse doesn't offer Washington we are in really good shape to get him. (Cuse is the favorite to land a different PG who is rated a little higher so I could easily see a scenario where they don't offer Washington.) Washington is the one to pay attention to. He is by far the highest rated remaining player who we have a realistic chance of getting.

I've said it before, and I'll say it once more...I don't understand all the attention being paid to Wright when Washington is rated so much higher. Sure, McKinley is a local guy, but do fans even bother to look at the rankings? In the most recent rankings Wright is outside the top 200. Washington is ranked #65 which is higher than every MN player (including Reuvers and Davison) not named Jericho Sims. If Syracuse doesn't offer Washington we are in really good shape to get him. (Cuse is the favorite to land a different PG who is rated a little higher so I could easily see a scenario where they don't offer Washington.) Washington is the one to pay attention to. He is by far the highest rated remaining player who we have a realistic chance of getting.

Kevin Dorsey was the highest ranked recruit of the 2015 class. That didn't turn out all that well. Rankings don't always tell the whole story.

I think will take two guards. None of our bigs are seniors and we have plenty of targets in 2018 that are bigs. Bringing two more ball handlers would also allow Mason to split minutes at both guard spots

I think will take two guards. None of our bigs are seniors and we have plenty of targets in 2018 that are bigs. Bringing two more ball handlers would also allow Mason to split minutes at both guard spots

It sounds like Curry can play in the middle, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they take two guards.

I'd guess the more casual fan only ever hears about the local recruits. Couple that with the fact that 2017 is the deepest in-state class since what, 2009 or earlier? And it might be easy for some to forget that there are talented high school basketball players from other states. Washington was one of our earliest 2017 offers though as I recall. I think Theo John was a pretty early offer too, and coincidentally they're both visiting this weekend. There's probably also a belief that out of state recruits are much harder to get than in-state guys.

Kevin Dorsey was the highest ranked recruit of the 2015 class. That didn't turn out all that well. Rankings don't always tell the whole story.

And while Murphy, at least so far, appears to be the best player from that class, Kevin Dorsey wasn't bad by any means. Putting character aside and just going by basketball skill, I would have been perfectly comfortable having Dorsey as a regular contributor for the next few years, and I was disappointed when he left.

Crystal ball says 62% Minnesota. Jerry Meyer flipped his prediction to the Gophers a couple days ago, and another guy flipped his just today. If Syracuse still isn't offering, I'd like to think we're one of the top options. If McKinley Wright is indeed leaning Gophers and is deciding in a week, maybe Pitino urges Washington to s*** or get off the pot this weekend? Would love to have him here.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitut...mond-For-Boys-133770/CurrentExpertPredictions

Another prediction for Washington in the last hour. Now 75% Minnesota.

Another prediction for Washington in the last hour. Now 75% Minnesota.

I'd predict he signs here as well, but last prediction I made was Chris Webber to Minnesota (almost happened) and I've been gun shy ever since.

So lets play fantasy land here.

Washington feels the pressure and commits before leaving the great state of Minnesota. Wright wants to commit next week, does Pitino tell him no? Do we tell Theo to wait until Fall to commit? Would be an awesome problem to have.

55000822.jpg

Are you saying you'd prefer lower ranked players because one guy had some character issues?

Top Bottom