All Things Gophers Basketball 2017 Recruiting Thread

we have 1 scholarship open right now. we need a big in that class. theo john is top target.

most hope we'll have more than 1 available though and the instate class is very strong. john's teammate mckinley wright a pg likely to get an offer.

we also need shooters badly.

bad thing is pitino needs to win next year so if we get more schollies open, they'll likely try to add more for 2016 class this spring.

Thanks Go4.

Objectively, are we that excited about John? It seems many people get pretty jazzed up about in-state guys. Would we be happy with a PF ranked 120ish (per 247) from say, Missouri, as our only recruit in a class? Just trying to get perspective...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Go4.

Objectively, are we that excited about John? It seems many people get pretty jazzed up about in-state guys. Would we be happy with a PF ranked 120ish (per 247) from say, Missouri, as our only recruit in a class? Just trying to get perspective...

We should be, John is fantastic. His game has come a long ways since last year and when he's in college he will be a rim protector and a dominate rebounder. We need to get more in state kids instead of guys that are more likely to be flight risks after a year or two. Right now we have enough talent in state to be a very good program if we can land them.

Is it wrong for me to think of John Thomas when I watch Theo John?

We should be, John is fantastic. His game has come a long ways since last year and when he's in college he will be a rim protector and a dominate rebounder. We need to get more in state kids instead of guys that are more likely to be flight risks after a year or two. Right now we have enough talent in state to be a very good program if we can land them.

Completely disagree. Find talent....regardless of where the kids are currently located. We get far too fixated on kids just because they live here, in my opinion. If the most talented kid lives in Minnesota, then go after him. But don't ignore better options because we are afraid they might be "flight risks".

Completely disagree. Find talent....regardless of where the kids are currently located. We get far too fixated on kids just because they live here, in my opinion. If the most talented kid lives in Minnesota, then go after him. But don't ignore better options because we are afraid they might be "flight risks".

I tend to agree more with this school of thought. There is obvious value in creating relationships with the high schools and AAU programs locally, and definitively value in creating a culture of passing the UMN torch within the top high school ranks, but why cast such a small net? These coaches have the resources and inroads to find the best kids that fit their system from any part of the country. Accepting the top kids in MN may not result in an effective roster. So while I'm glad these top in state kids are warm towards MN, I'm not necessarily going to be happy if a PF with a 120 overall ranking is our only recruit for 2017. I think Pitino has set a higher bar for himself with his past two classes.

As an aside, none of this has anything to do with John personally. He seems like he may have a high ceiling, and we'll see where his overall outlook lands with the scouting updates this summer.

One thing you shouldn't ignore when prefering in home recruits is the effect they would/do have on attendence. Coffey's impact on attendence is going to be a very nice addition to next years season. People will come out to see that Coffey kid, and if he's an impact player, it's going to be an even better impact.

One thing you shouldn't ignore when prefering in home recruits is the effect they would/do have on attendence. Coffey's impact on attendence is going to be a very nice addition to next years season. People will come out to see that Coffey kid, and if he's an impact player, it's going to be an even better impact.

If the Gophers win, they'll draw. If they don't win, they could start 5 MN kids and it won't make an appreciable difference in attendance.

If the Gophers win, they'll draw. If they don't win, they could start 5 MN kids and it won't make an appreciable difference in attendance.

+1
Jim Brewer, Chicago, Illinois
Clyde Turner, Champaign, Illinois
Ron Behagen, NY, New York
Bob Nix, Owenton, KY
Keith Young, Columbus, Ohio

Certainly some of the most rousing times ever at the arena.
(Sorry, off topic.)

I'm not sure my point was to recruit Minnesota over outside talent. My point was that if you've got talent instate that's worth bringing in there is an appreciable difference in the fanbase and their reception of those home grown stars. To suggest it's negligible is naive, imo.

Champlin Park got upset by Mounds View in the Section Semi's tonight. Was hoping to get a look at John and Wright in the State Tourney.

yup we disagree, i'd rather see our homegrown 3* over some 5* a$$hole from new york, florida, anywhere but here

had to fix it

yup we disagree, i'd rather see our homegrown 3* over some 5* a$$hole from new york, florida, anywhere but here had to fix it

Then when they don't win enough with the 3 star kids the coach will be on the hot seat anyway and this forum will bitch because the coach didn't recruit enough highly ranked players. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. But that's life.

This isn't hockey, you cannot be competitive with all Minnesota players. And Woog never won anything anyway.

I'm not sure my point was to recruit Minnesota over outside talent. My point was that if you've got talent instate that's worth bringing in there is an appreciable difference in the fanbase and their reception of those home grown stars. To suggest it's negligible is naive, imo.

That is the key for me.

I do agree there could be some difference because it does seem we have a number of people (like lakesgopher in this thread) that feel a greater connection to Minnesota kids. Well, as long as they perform to expectations....otherwise fans tend to turn on them regardless of where they previously resided....i.e. Joey King (pre-postgame video).

yup we disagree, i'd rather see our homegrown 3* over some 5* a$$hole from new york, florida, anywhere but here

had to fix it

We can grow 5* a$$holes too. (certain guy from the Tubby Smith era comes to mind)

You win with talent. You draws fans by winning. A winning culture leads to more winning. Pretty simple really.

Cause your not going to get them all. Where did Tyus, Reid, and the other guy go? Trent is not coming to Minny. And freaking Wisconsin is going to always poach a few.

Hockey used to be able to get the kids they wanted because they were the top team in the nation. But with division 1 schools at UMD, SCSU, Minnesota State, Bemidji, and UND, well, you see what that has done to the hockey team.

Sure, if you signed all the top Minnesota recruits you would be decent and competitive. But they all aren't coming here.

We can grow 5* a$$holes too. (certain guy from the Tubby Smith era comes to mind)

You win with talent. You draws fans by winning. A winning culture leads to more winning. Pretty simple really.

yes we can develop our own in-state a$$holes---royce white is an easy example

yes you win with talent but you also win with a good coach that can develop talent---not sure we have that?

a winning culture leads to more winning? we wouldnt know, we fire coaches for winning tourney games.

minnesota high school kids have very little allegiance to the U--maybe it's because we would rather take a 4* kid from the east coast than a solid 3* kid thats from minnesota. what if, we were able to have a roster with 75% minnesota kids and they had some success... would there be a bigger buzz about the gophers across the state? i think it would help. i dont think any program can be 100% in state recruitment, but too often, our fans think the grass is greener some where else.

had to fix it
I can think of at least four instate kids who signed in the last fifteen years that were not the great student athletes that all these wonderful Minnesota kids are all suppose to be. Get the best players you can and of course try to get the best in state kids but thinking you get away from all discipline problems just by taking home grown players is naive. I personal do think from having watching a lot of High School basketball in Minnesota and Wisconsin, Minnesota has better players year in and out.

I can think of at least four instate kids who signed in the last fifteen years that were not the great student athletes that all these wonderful Minnesota kids are all suppose to be. Get the best players you can and of course try to get the best in state kids but thinking you get away from all discipline problems just by taking home grown players is naive. I personal do think from having watching a lot of High School basketball in Minnesota and Wisconsin, Minnesota has better players year in and out.

were there other options or were those 4 the only kids we could take?
-btw, no one said once, that all discipline problems would go away if we only took homegrown kids--you chose to twist words for your benefit

were there other options or were those 4 the only kids we could take?
-btw, no one said once, that all discipline problems would go away if we only took homegrown kids--you chose to twist words for your benefit
A couple were NBA type guys but why recruit them?

Recruit everywhere. The top 40 teams from the power conferences have players from everywhere. Usually at least 7 states, some as many as 11 states.

White, Mbakwe, Pryzbilla and Smith? Can't think of the guys name, but someone from henry who went to Fresno state is doing time for Murder, I think he graduated in 02 or 03, not a gopher, but Fresno still a decent program

White, Mbakwe, Pryzbilla and Smith? Can't think of the guys name, but someone from henry who went to Fresno state is doing time for Murder, I think he graduated in 02 or 03, not a gopher, but Fresno still a decent program

Terry Pettis.

Go Gophers!!

Don't forget Schilling. He sure is a real treat of a human being

Don't forget Schilling. He sure is a real treat of a human being

Schilling had mental illness issues. There is a difference between being sick and being a bad human being. We've had our share of winners, but it's not fair to include Schilling on that list.

Don't forget about Humphries. He wouldn't have even came here if he wasn't such an ass.

Top Bottom