All Things Gophers Basketball 2017 Recruiting Thread

A new offer out per Ryan James: Isaiah Livers a 6'8 forward who plays for Meanstreets(IL) in the EYBL. He's no.114 on Rivals, so he's a pretty highly regarded kid. His high school highlights look a lot better than his EYBL highlights.

Getting a weird feeling - based on nothing substantial - that we are going to miss out on just about all of the local talent in 2017.

I've heard rumors that a lot of the guys on that D1 MN team are down on the program and with the offer sheets a lot of them are raking in, it's not like MN should be considered a sure thing. That could be totally untrue and guys could commit tomorrow for all I know. I'm no insider, but the vibe I get from a lot of the local kids - Champlin duo, Sims, et all - is that they as much as they like the Hometown offer and the idea of playing for the hometown team, the idea itself is more appealing than actually doing it.

If it played out that way and John went to Oklahoma (or wherever), Wright went to Dayton (or wherever) and Sims went to Xavier (or wherever) I wouldn't really blame them. But man that'd be brutal for Pitino.

Hope they've got good backup options in this class. Keep on Washington, Lewis and this Livers kid.

Ryan James, essentially the #1 Gopher recruiting expert, has said repeatedly he sees the Gophers getting two of the local kids. So we'll see.

James should be plugged in more than any of us with the bad vibes feeling.

For sure, James is all over that stuff so hopefully he's right.

For what it's worth, 247 sports has us well-positioned for Wright, Mar, Sims, Washington and with an outside shot at John. So that's cool.

I would assume if we are getting two locals, Sims and Wright would be the best combo/most realistic combo. If not Wright, then I'd bet Mar or Sorenson would be the local guys up next.

Sounds like Pitino has been the only head coach at John's games lately. Kind of thing a kid really notices.

Johns has been a priority for Pitino for a long time. To miss on him to me would be a huge disappointment.

I'm no great basketball mind, just my 2 cents......Davison's abilities have been obvious since I first saw him play in 7th grade. I don't claim to have any inside info directly from Brad or his family, but my gut says we would have had an excellent chance for him if Pitino had offered and seriously pursued him starting a couple years ago, and been on him as a top priority. I think playing for the UofM would have been a dream school for him. He's obviously blown up in the last 9 months, and not having been seriously in the mix, the Gophers stood no chance late. Davison is a tough kid and leader. Brad is a top not student and mature kid. He has good size and can play either guard position. Obviously he's a different style player than Wright. Following the NWSC closely, I've seen both of them play many, many times, and each have their positives. Wright is an athlete, and incredible rebounder for his size. Davison is a much better shooter. I would be happy to see them get Wright now, but would definitely have preferred Brad. I think Wright would be happy to be a Gopher, but I have a feeling he will go elsewhere if he gets a much higher profile offer, with a good fit. I get the sense the U may be his backup choice for now. Due to his relatively short height, I'm not sure he is going to get offered by a bigger-time school. It may end up coming down to where he feels he can come in and play right away. I do think that is a priority for him. I think a few of these guard names that have come to light in the last 4-6 weeks are probably back up plans for Pitino (other than Washington, who I think they have been pursing for quite awhile). I don't have a feel on those guys. John is physical specimen and a handful on defensive end. His offensive game has improved a lot, but still has a ways to go. Gophers probably still have a shot at landing him in that final group of 6. Would probably be good to keep him in state, but I'm higher on landing Sims, and also Oturo in the coming years. Obviously we will have zero chance for Trent or Tre Jones. Kalscher is a talent we could land. Crossing my fingers that the Gophers have some successes these next couple years convincing Matthew Hurt to follow Micheal to the U, but my fear is that all his national choices, will find him going elsewhere. Too much post-college upside for him. Here's hoping Coffey, Hurt, Curry and company have a great season. That would be our best recruiting tool.

For sure, James is all over that stuff so hopefully he's right.

For what it's worth, 247 sports has us well-positioned for Wright, Mar, Sims, Washington and with an outside shot at John. So that's cool.

I would assume if we are getting two locals, Sims and Wright would be the best combo/most realistic combo. If not Wright, then I'd bet Mar or Sorenson would be the local guys up next.

****No offense, but I don't see Mar or Sorenson playing Big Ten ball. Both are very talented in their own ways, but I think they are probably a notch below the names being tossed around by Big Ten coaches. They will both be good scholarship players though.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That would be today at 3:00. Wright, Sims, Matthew Hurt.

That would be today at 3:00. Wright, Sims, Matthew Hurt.
Thank you for posting this!! Didn't see that tweet and I've never gotten to see D1 Minnesota play!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wright opens the second half by driving, getting fouled, hitting both FTs.

Gets a steal, goes coast to coast for a transition layup a couple possessions later.

Pretty sure he doesn't have a Gopher offer, but Goanar has 14 points on 5-7 shooting.

Wright's man loses the handle, steal and transition layup again.

Missed transition layup for Wright.

****No offense, but I don't see Mar or Sorenson playing Big Ten ball. Both are very talented in their own ways, but I think they are probably a notch below the names being tossed around by Big Ten coaches. They will both be good scholarship players though.

Not offended at all. I agree with you that they probably shouldn't be playing Big 10 ball. But the Gophers have had a lot of guys in recent years that shouldn't be playing Big 10 ball. I hope it doesn't come to that, but I guess it wouldn't shock me if we missed out on all the in-state kids and decided to offer up those guys.

Watched brief opening period in the second half. Wrights on ball pressure rattled a top 40 pg to a point of which he looked like a non college player.

Not offended at all. I agree with you that they probably shouldn't be playing Big 10 ball. But the Gophers have had a lot of guys in recent years that shouldn't be playing Big 10 ball. I hope it doesn't come to that, but I guess it wouldn't shock me if we missed out on all the in-state kids and decided to offer up those guys.

Even if we do somehow miss out on every single Minnesota kid we've offered so far, which I think is unlikely, there are still some 3 and 4 star guys from out of state to whom we and other high major schools have offered scholarships. I don't think we'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel for fall recruits.

Most of our more questionable recruits seem to either be raw, "project" big men, or someone leaves the team in April and we scramble to replace them in the next few weeks. I expect we'll end up with two guys in the top 150 or close to it, who were desired by other high major programs.

I watched the rest of my recording. Reuvers look like a son of a bitch that makes you say goddamnit he would have been nice to have. Gonna be a stud for Wisconsin. Not sure he would fit pitinos game of high ball screen and roll but he is going to be very nice back to the basket fundamental finesse style big for Wisconsin.

Sims is athletic. I see a bit of Rodney in him, just a better athlete than everyone else on the court.

Wright, defensively is what we wanted in Dorsey. Would be nice to have.

A little PG recruiting update: Isaiah Washington talked to Jerry Meyer (247) and called Syracuse his "dream school". Syracuse has started watching him this week, but is also in on two other guards. If you want Washington to be a Gopher, root for Trevon Duval or Quade Green to commit to Syracuse. Wabissa Bede is another guy who is blowing up, Jerry Meyer (again) said that no 2017 player raised their stock more in Vegas than Bede who will move up to a 4 star in the 247 rankings.

This is good news/bad news for Gopher fans as I think everyone should now be happy with any of the three point guards the staff is targeting, but it's entirely possible that both Washington and Bede could wind up out of touch for us considering the current state of the program.

In the front court, recently offered Michigan native Isaiah Livers received a Michigan State offer a day or two after the Gophers made their offer.

According to Direct TV, the Minnesota D1 game will be replayed on ESPNU Mon 7/25 5am, Tues 7/26 12am, Wed 7/27 12pm...all times (CDT).
Following that (all 3 time slots, start times 7am. 2am, 2pm) will be Wabissa Bede and Mass Rivals playing in the finals vs Garner Road.
Bede stats, in the final, were 17pts, 6 reb, 5 assists, 5-11(fg). 3-7 (3fg), 2-2 (ft)....stats provided by adidasuprising.com

A little PG recruiting update: Isaiah Washington talked to Jerry Meyer (247) and called Syracuse his "dream school". Syracuse has started watching him this week, but is also in on two other guards. If you want Washington to be a Gopher, root for Trevon Duval or Quade Green to commit to Syracuse. Wabissa Bede is another guy who is blowing up, Jerry Meyer (again) said that no 2017 player raised their stock more in Vegas than Bede who will move up to a 4 star in the 247 rankings. This is good news/bad news for Gopher fans as I think everyone should now be happy with any of the three point guards the staff is targeting, but it's entirely possible that both Washington and Bede could wind up out of touch for us considering the current state of the program. In the front court, recently offered Michigan native Isaiah Livers received a Michigan State offer a day or two after the Gophers made their offer.

Screw Syracuse, they should still be on probation.

According to Direct TV, the Minnesota D1 game will be replayed on ESPNU Mon 7/25 5am, Tues 7/26 12am, Wed 7/27 12pm...all times (CDT). Following that (all 3 time slots, start times 7am. 2am, 2pm) will be Wabissa Bede and Mass Rivals playing in the finals vs Garner Road. Bede stats, in the final, were 17pts, 6 reb, 5 assists, 5-11(fg). 3-7 (3fg), 2-2 (ft)....stats provided by adidasuprising.com

Finally got to watch D1 game and the thing that most impressed me was the unselfish play and how well all kids shared the basketball. It was a fun game to watch.

Gophers have offered 4-star guard Marcus Carr from Montverde, Florida.

Does this mean it is less and less likely that Wright commits here?

For what it's worth, 247 still has 100% McKinley Wright to Minnesota. We are also at 57% for Isaiah Washington, with the other 43% being Syracuse, whom he doesn't have an offer from yet.

Not necessarily. Could mean the coaching staff is getting impatient and are trying to put pressure on Wright to commit before someone else does. Could also double as a backup plan.

Not necessarily. Could mean the coaching staff is getting impatient and are trying to put pressure on Wright to commit before someone else does. Could also double as a backup plan.

You may very well be correct. But let me play devil's advocate. Are we so sure that Wright is the main PG target? I know that many fans think of him first because he is an in-state guy, but three of the PGs we have offered have better ratings than Wright, at least according to 247. If he were from a different state would we still see Wright as the main target? Maybe he is the backup plan. (I say this with no inside knowledge of his recruitment, just an observation.)

For what it's worth, 247 still has 100% McKinley Wright to Minnesota. We are also at 57% for Isaiah Washington, with the other 43% being Syracuse, whom he doesn't have an offer from yet.

For whatever it's worth, if one is trying to decipher value from the crystal ball, which I like as something that can tell us a little bit about leanings, it's all about the prediction dates. Syracuse hasn't offered (yet) but they have all the recent momentum.

Top Bottom