All Things Gophers Basketball 2017 Recruiting Thread

Playing zone (which we do a lot of) could hide his lack of lateral quickness on defense. I think for short stretches we could see Mason, Gilbert, and someone like Fitzgerald, Coffey, or Hurt. I'm generally not a huge fan of Gilbert though, so I hope he isn't playing a lot of the 2 or the 3. I think we have better options this year and next.

But on offense, if the other team is pressing us and Gilbert is the second best ball handler on the floor, that's a scary thought. If we have another good ball handler on the floor, like Coffey, I don't think anyone is going to consider Gilbert the 2. Considering Gilbert the 2 implies he has more guard skills than the 3.

As for Gilbert, I could see them encouraging him to go elsewhere if this season doesn't pan out for him. He could find another team. If he hurts the development of Hurt then that affects Matthew's recruitment. So I am not in favor of stringing him along and giving him to much of a chance.

I have a feeling that Hurt will be just fine. Didn't Pitino say Hurt was the hardest worker on the team already? I suspect Hurt will force his way into minutes either this season or at the latest next no matter what other people are doing.

As for recruiting nice class.

Winasota, you're right about gilbert I doubt that we see a lineup next year without at least 2 of the following players on the court at once. Mason, McBrayer, Washington, Coffey(assuming he doesn't blow up and go pro). (Just like this year except insert Springs in place of Washington)

With this two guard class I have to wonder, would they have taken M. Wright or were they looking for a better shooter? Looks like the door was still open for Wright...and he said no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With this two guard class I have to wonder, would they have taken M. Wright or were they looking for a better shooter? Looks like the door was still open for Wright...and he said no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who knows, but I would guess they'd rather have Harris than Wright given that he's a shooter and more of a SG than Wright is.

Playing zone (which we do a lot of) could hide his lack of lateral quickness on defense. I think for short stretches we could see Mason, Gilbert, and someone like Fitzgerald, Coffey, or Hurt. I'm generally not a huge fan of Gilbert though, so I hope he isn't playing a lot of the 2 or the 3. I think we have better options this year and next.
Calling Gilbert the 2 would put him at the top of a 2-3, something he should never be. The idea there isn't a need for lateral quickness in a 2-3 is wildly innaccurate especially for the top 2 of the zone, at least if you want to have a successful zone defense.

Agree, Gilbert is near the bottom of the depth chart, which is absolutely why you should not list him as our 2nd option 2 guard.

I had just kind of talked myself in to French and then Harris commits. I do love the idea of landing a shooter though and would argue it's actually a bigger need in the short term than another big. The staff hasn't exactly earned trust with the few lower rated recruits they have brought in (Gilbert, Diedhiou), but hopefully this one is different.

I had just kind of talked myself in to French and then Harris commits. I do love the idea of landing a shooter though and would argue it's actually a bigger need in the short term than another big. The staff hasn't exactly earned trust with the few lower rated recruits they have brought in (Gilbert, Diedhiou), but hopefully this one is different.

Did Gilbert and Diedhiou have same offers as Jamir (quality)? Honest question.

Nate Mason was also ranked outside the top 150, granted he wasn't far outside of it as Harris is.

Did Gilbert and Diedhiou have same offers as Jamir (quality)? Honest question.

Team(previous to freshman year RPI), Offers based on 247sports list.

Gilbert: Pittsburgh(39), George Mason(166), Wichita st(4), U. Southern Florida(230)

Diediou: 247 sports lists us as the only offer.

Harris: Alabama(70), Crieghton(103), Princeton(39), Seaton Hall(22), Stanford(82), Wichita St(49) and a few I didn't list

RPI numbers just to give an idea of how good of a season the team had in the year before the player would attend (realistically 2 years prior to attendance makes a bigger impact on the kids). But just based on number of offers and quality of teams offering, Harris has by far a better offer list.

Talked to a guy who covers AAU who loves Harris and thinks he's better than Washington, FWIW.

per Marcus: In Jamir Harris and Isaiah Washington, Richard Pitino finds Gophers' future backcourt in NYC area

Gophers men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino might have secured his future backcourt Wednesday with a verbal commitment from New Jersey guard Jamir Harris.

Harris, a three-star prospect from The Patrick School in Elizabeth, N.J., joined four-star point guard Isaiah Washington out of New York City to close out Minnesota’s 2017 recruiting class.

“It just felt like the place for me,” Harris said. “I went on campus for an unofficial visit [this summer]. I felt so comfortable. Real family-oriented feeling there.”

The Gophers are done with their class of ’17 for now, according to a source close to the situation. Pitino used both of his available scholarships on the NYC-area guards. He can’t comment on specific players until they sign.

Harris planned to make official visits to Minnesota and Stanford this fall, but he received an in-home visit from Pitino and assistant Kimani Young on Tuesday night.

“I’ve had a really good relationship with them throughout the whole recruiting process,” Harris said.

Gophers’ two-player recruiting class is ranked No. 28 nationally, according to 247Sports.com. Last year’s class with Amir Coffey, Michael Hurt and Eric Curry was also in the top 30.

http://www.startribune.com/in-jamir...phers-future-backcourt-in-nyc-area/394368621/

Go Gophers!!

Harris's EYBL numbers are very similar to Davidson who I would make a comparison to. Looking like Washington's highlights he also looks like a good shooter. I seriously doubt Wright turned us down. I believe he got some bad info and took that Dayton visit for the free trip and it backfired. I'm excited about these guards. Finally got some shooters in the backcourt

Team(previous to freshman year RPI), Offers based on 247sports list.

Gilbert: Pittsburgh(39), George Mason(166), Wichita st(4), U. Southern Florida(230)

Diediou: 247 sports lists us as the only offer.

Harris: Alabama(70), Crieghton(103), Princeton(39), Seaton Hall(22), Stanford(82), Wichita St(49) and a few I didn't list

RPI numbers just to give an idea of how good of a season the team had in the year before the player would attend (realistically 2 years prior to attendance makes a bigger impact on the kids). But just based on number of offers and quality of teams offering, Harris has by far a better offer list.

Thanks, I am not sure how legit some of the offers attributed to Harris were given this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXkNSxnCquk). That was an interview from August where he mentions Minnesota, Stanford, and some smaller schools. It's also entirely possible that the academic side of things were a major factor with Harris which is why he didn't mention some of the other schools. I'd say he's similar in offers to Gilbert, but with the caveat that Gilbert's offers from bigger schools (Minnesota and Pitt) came in the Spring when teams are more desperate and Gilbert had decommitted from George Mason. Gilbert was 268 in the 247 composite, Harris is 236 this year. If Harris had commitable offers from all of the listed schools, it would tough for him to be rated so low especially given the fact that he played in the EYBL.

Thanks, I am not sure how legit some of the offers attributed to Harris were given this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXkNSxnCquk). That was an interview from August where he mentions Minnesota, Stanford, and some smaller schools. It's also entirely possible that the academic side of things were a major factor with Harris which is why he didn't mention some of the other schools. I'd say he's similar in offers to Gilbert, but with the caveat that Gilbert's offers from bigger schools (Minnesota and Pitt) came in the Spring when teams are more desperate and Gilbert had decommitted from George Mason. Gilbert was 268 in the 247 composite, Harris is 236 this year. If Harris had commitable offers from all of the listed schools, it would tough for him to be rated so low especially given the fact that he played in the EYBL.

FWIW- Gilbert's Scout grade was 72 versus 79 for Harris. Thats a big different in their grading... Theo John was 79, Washington 82 and Wright Not Rated.

We did just fine.

Not necessarily, all the schools listed would take a 3 star guard from time to time. We aren't talking blue bloods here. Once you get into the 3 star range the players are scouted what? one maybe 2 games? The 3 star range everyone is relatively close so the difference between 150 and 250 is probably just the difference between a player having an on night or an off night when they were scouted by the rating agency.

It also depends on the depth of the graduating class. Each class is different. Some are top heavy. Some are deeper than others. While I agree it can be used as a general point of reference, it's difficult to draw precise conclusions when when comparing apples to oranges.

Not necessarily, all the schools listed would take a 3 star guard from time to time. We aren't talking blue bloods here. Once you get into the 3 star range the players are scouted what? one maybe 2 games? The 3 star range everyone is relatively close so the difference between 150 and 250 is probably just the difference between a player having an on night or an off night when they were scouted by the rating agency.

huh?

I am not sure how many times players are scouted by scouting agencies. If you know please enlighten me. I just assumed that the agencies don't have armies of scouts and there are a lot of players to cover. Once again I might be completely wrong. (coaches who get players, I would hope, watch more games and film than the ratings agencies.)

I am not sure how many times players are scouted by scouting agencies. If you know please enlighten me. I just assumed that the agencies don't have armies of scouts and there are a lot of players to cover. Once again I might be completely wrong. (coaches who get players, I would hope, watch more games and film than the ratings agencies.)

Some players only get scouted a few times, but that's uncommon. Most high major players get seen by scouts numerous times. A few people from Rivals could collectively see almost the entire top 100 plus many, many 3 stars in one weekend at one of the Las Vegas AAU tournaments. There are tons of AAU tournaments with absurd amounts of high major prospects in one location at one time, so it's really easy for scouts to have large sample sizes to judge from for all types of players, including guys like Harris.

Some players only get scouted a few times, but that's uncommon. Most high major players get seen by scouts numerous times. A few people from Rivals could collectively see almost the entire top 100 plus many, many 3 stars in one weekend at one of the Las Vegas AAU tournaments. There are tons of AAU tournaments with absurd amounts of high major prospects in one location at one time, so it's really easy for scouts to have large sample sizes to judge from for all types of players, including guys like Harris.

Thank you. I don't really know much.

And then why do the coaches whose jobs are on the line not make their recriuting decisions based on amateur 'scouts' working for pay to see web sites?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Interesting, first I've heard this name. Rivals and Scout say we haven't offered. Consensus 3 star guard. Maybe this is a more recent picture of him. In his profile pics on rivals and 247 he has some sick dreads.

Looks like it is fake.

Obviously he has already eliminated Minnesota from consideration, but Gary Trent Jr will be announcing his college decision on ESPNU at 5pm today. Final three are Michigan State, Duke, and UCLA. Believe the Blue Devils are considered heavy favorites.

Might not be the best sign for Oturu...

Gilbert is my guess.
Mcbrayer as a really pessimistic Gopher fan.

Gilbert or Diedhiou imo. I doubt McBrayer will transfer. He is the shoe-in starter next year.

Regarding the Ondigo offer, we won't have a true Center on the roster ofter next season. It would be smart to grab a Center in both the 2017 & 2018 classes, otherwise we would have to rely on Freshmen or some sort of a transfer during the 2018-19 season.

Top Bottom