All Things Gophers Basketball 2017 Recruiting Thread

Gilbert or Diedhiou imo. I doubt McBrayer will transfer. He is the shoe-in starter next year.

Regarding the Ondigo offer, we won't have a true Center on the roster ofter next season. It would be smart to grab a Center in both the 2017 & 2018 classes, otherwise we would have to rely on Freshmen or some sort of a transfer during the 2018-19 season.

This. We need two centers one in 17 one in 18.

I would assume Curry steps into that starting C role by his junior year. He's got the size to play there in spurts now and he'll get stronger over the next two years. You don't necessarily need a 6'10 270 pound guy starting at center. Curry is mobile enough - projecting here - to play C.

Assuming they DON't add a big man in the 2017 class when Lynch is gone the starters would look like Murphy and Curry (Sr and JR) with Oturu and whoever else they might add (Thompson???) as reserves.

Otherwise I'd rather look at adding a grad transfer wing player if a scholarship opens up this year. Get another Springs/Malik Smith type who can play 15 mpg next year and give you some shooting. Don't know what Fitz gives them after two knee surgeries and after that you've got two freshmen, Hurt and Gilbert. Would like another proven guy.

Yeah, getting a C is quietly an important thing to pick up before next year because like it's been said: you don't want to only have a true Frosh in there as a starter right away the next season.

To be honest, I'd almost rather see which transfers are on the market this spring than force someone right now. You probably won't get a grad transfer but see if any underclassmen around the country are willing to sit out for a year and then have the keys handed to them the year after.

I think we're gonna struggle getting a grad transfer this offseason. It's not so much that we couldn't use them, it's that from their perspective, Minnesota isn't exactly ripe for the picking in terms of PT (barring some unforseen departure). We aren't exactly loaded with NBA talent but if you're a grad transfer and you're looking for as much PT as you can get, I see Minnesota's depth chart and I don't exactly see a position where I'm gonna get 20+ min. per game.

I would assume Curry steps into that starting C role by his junior year. He's got the size to play there in spurts now and he'll get stronger over the next two years. You don't necessarily need a 6'10 270 pound guy starting at center. Curry is mobile enough - projecting here - to play C.

Assuming they DON't add a big man in the 2017 class when Lynch is gone the starters would look like Murphy and Curry (Sr and JR) with Oturu and whoever else they might add (Thompson???) as reserves.

Otherwise I'd rather look at adding a grad transfer wing player if a scholarship opens up this year. Get another Springs/Malik Smith type who can play 15 mpg next year and give you some shooting. Don't know what Fitz gives them after two knee surgeries and after that you've got two freshmen, Hurt and Gilbert. Would like another proven guy.

Totally agree with Curry assessment, the kid is going to fill out as he grows up. Although it certainly would be nice to have a true Center walk in for 2017.

I recorded Jamir Harris' game last week on ESPNU. His Patrick school team played Wendell Carters Pace Academy. I want to put a disclaimer on my thoughts that I don't watch high school basketball at all, so keep that in mind when putting stock in my notes.

The first thing to keep in mind is that a number of these kids (including Harris' teammate Nick Richards who is going to Kentucky) are either committed to division one schools or are being recruited by division one schools. It's not a typical high school game as there's a lot more talent on the floor.

The first thing that stood out to me was that the Pace school was not defending Harris with a player that had a college future nor was he one of Pace's more athletic player. Defensively, Harris was rarely matched up with one of Pace's better athletes/prospects, but when he was he held his own.

The best thing I can say about Harris is that, as a shooter, he is as advertised. I believe he was 5-14 for the game with four made 3's, 1-2 from the line (shooting technicals) and a nice floater in the lane. The deal is, everyone of his attempts from 3 was on line, including one or two that he took contested off the dribble. I am pretty confident that he will be a good shooter for the Gophers provided he can get looks.

If I was going to give a comparison as an upside for Harris it might be what JJ Redick is like on the Clippers. The Patrick School ran a lot of baseline screens for Harris in the times they actually went to a set offensive play and he either would get the ball in the corner or on the wing for a 3 attempt. On a couple of occasions when he had the ball on the wing, he used the threat of his jumper to get in to the paint and attempt to score or dish to a teammate. He was not a primary ball handler at any point in the game for his team, so the idea that he could play point in the manner Andre Hollins did with the Gophers seems like a stretch to me at this time. Don't confuse this with JJ Redick in college who was a more dynamic player against lesser athletes.

My concerns with Harris start with his size and athletic ability. He appears very small to play the two guard and at no point in this game did he really stand out as one of the better athletes on the court (his younger teammate Al-Amir Dawes who the Gophers have offered stood out more athletically). A guy like Hoffarber was significantly bigger in the role of a shooter and part of me worries about how we get Harris good looks that are not in transition...unless there's a hidden ability to be more of a playmaker than his role on his current team allows. Just from his appearance, he looks like a kid who has already physically matured and won't get much bigger.

The positives are his already mentioned shooting ability and his tendency to make the right play. This game was pretty sloppy, but Harris stood out as one of the few players who wasn't making many mistakes or getting careless. The announcers talked about his nickname at the school being "Mr. Perfect" because he excels in the classroom, and on the court (and I believe something else...maybe student government?). So in some ways the Andre Hollins comparison fits as he seems like an absolutely great kid whose biggest strength is shooting the ball.

Overall, I think we should be excited to be bringing a knock down shooter in to the fold, but maybe would caution people expecting him to be Hoffarber or "good" Andre Hollins to pump the breaks a bit.

Thanks EG, haven't watched any myself so this is great. This description meets my expectations. I think Pitino has paired his high ranking commitments with lower ranked players with strong shooting reputations (Amir-Hurt; Washington-Harris). I expect these types of players to begin to pan out mid-junior into senior year. Some of these guys might not, but I like that our recruiting seems to have a plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To go along with what EG9 said about his nickname Mr Perfect. It was talked in length about him being a model student at his school. Wears a dress shirt and tie every day. Sits in the front of the class, and is a great student. Faculty consider him a role model and many of the student body look up to him. That is the kind of story I like to here.
Pitino has seemed to bring in a lot of high character guys lately. Just off the top of my head.
- Mason graduated top of his HS class.
- McBrayer has been a great academic student in his time at the U.
- Gaston and Konate speak multiple languages. I think one of them speaks 7?
- Not sure of Gilbert, but he appears to be a smart kid.
- Hurt and Amir are good academic kids, and by all accounts it appears Curry has that kind of character as well.
- Isaiah Washington is adored by his community and appears to be a great leader.

These are the kind of guys that make it that much more fun to cheer for the Gophers.

Agreed...I think Curry will be fully capable of playing center by his junior year.

To go along with what EG9 said about his nickname Mr Perfect. It was talked in length about him being a model student at his school. Wears a dress shirt and tie every day. Sits in the front of the class, and is a great student. Faculty consider him a role model and many of the student body look up to him. That is the kind of story I like to here.
Pitino has seemed to bring in a lot of high character guys lately. Just off the top of my head.
- Mason graduated top of his HS class.
- McBrayer has been a great academic student in his time at the U.
- Gaston and Konate speak multiple languages. I think one of them speaks 7?
- Not sure of Gilbert, but he appears to be a smart kid.
- Hurt and Amir are good academic kids, and by all accounts it appears Curry has that kind of character as well.
- Isaiah Washington is adored by his community and appears to be a great leader.

These are the kind of guys that make it that much more fun to cheer for the Gophers.

With all of the bad press the Gopher BB program has gotten over the years, whether deserved or not, the positives mentioned above are almost enough reason to keep Pitino around for several more seasons and to be VERY patient with him. Combined with the increase in talent of each of these new recruiting classes, and I'm very pleased with Pitino being the coach.

Agreed...I think Curry will be fully capable of playing center by his junior year.

He's played the five a bunch this year - with Lynch's foul issues and konate still learning the game they've thrown him into the position earlier than they probably wanted.

Q&A: Gopher Commit Jamir Harris Excited to Bring His Shooting Ability to Minnesota Progarm
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/771590?referrer_id=

Jamir Harris, a 6-foot-2, 185-pound point guard from Elizabeth (NJ) Patrick School, signed with Minnesota last fall.

Harris has helped lead the Patrick School to a 28-4 mark and a No. 1 ranking in the NJ.com Top 20. They will face #16 ranked Teaneck Sunday night at the Pine Belt Arena in the NJSIAA Tournament of Champions semifinals.

The winner will play in the finals on Monday night at Sun National Bank Center in Trenton.

The Celtics have knocked off four straight ranked teams to earn the Non-Public B title. They defeated No. 6 Hudson Catholic, 65-48, to earn their first state title since 2009 in the Non-Public A final last Saturday as Harris made seven 3-pointers and scored 23 points.

Gopher Hole caught up with Harris Saturday night to learn more about his Minnesota decision and his senior year.

Gopher Hole: You signed with the Gophers last fall. What was it about Minnesota that made you think that was the place for you?

Jamir Harris: Just the atmosphere. The entire family. The Minnesota family. The campus and just the people there. It felt like the atmosphere was for me, was a friendly one. Everyone was pro Minnesota. That was something that I liked when I went down there and the coaching staff is very young. They have a young team as players and having a coach that can relate to me as a player was something that was important to me as well.

Gopher Hole: When you signed with Minnesota, they were coming off an 8-23 record. Did friends wonder about your choice after a disappointing season for them?

Jamir Harris: No. Not really. My mindset going into it was it was a Big Ten school. A great situation for me to go to and I knew that they were going to have a bounce back year like they did this year. They have a lot of talent on the team. Each and every player on the team works hard. They work at their craft, so I knew that the hard work was going to pay off, based on the player's work ethic and the coach's work. I didn't except us to another down year and we didn't. We had a great year this year. I am excited to get down there and be a part of it.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to watch many of the Gopher games this season?

Jamir Harris: I watched plenty of them. The majority of them. I probably missed about two or three, but other than that, I watched them all.

Gopher Hole: What were your impressions of the team?

Jamir Harris: The team was great, especially with me going down there and having the opportunity to meet the players and watching them on TV kind of gives me goose bumps knowing that I am going to have opportunity to play with those guys. The team was great. They had spurts when things weren't going too well, but one thing that I did notice about them through turmoil and stuff, they played off each other very well, so that was something that stuck out to me.

Gopher Hole: What do you think that you will add to the team next year?

Jamir Harris: Definitely my ability to shoot the ball. Both off the catch and off the bounce. I can also handle the ball as well. Whatever my role is with the team, whatever they need me to do, I'm going to do it and last, but not least, I think I can come in here and make an immediate impact.

Gopher Hole: Have you been in contact with many of your future teammates this season?

Jamir Harris: Yes. I actually just talked to Eric Curry not too long ago and we caught up and talked about the season and things of the nature. Also, Dupree (McBrayer), he was a senior when I was a freshman (at the Patrick School). I talk to him also, just talking about the season and keep working hard and we are excited to play with one another.

Gopher Hole: Who are you closest to?

Jamir Harris: As far as on the team right now, Dupree, based on the fact that me and him played together in high school, so we developed that relationship before he left.

Gopher Hole: What has he told you about Minnesota?

Jamir Harris: Just that this is a basketball family type of community, where everyone is pro-Minnesota. I could see that when I went up on my visits. The atmosphere is great. They know all the players and they show that they are all for Minnesota. Minnesota is the only one Division I school in the state, so that is just something that is the center of Minnesota and Minnesota basketball. Dupree has told me that and it is a good place to be at.

Gopher Hole: You signed with Minnesota in the fall along with another guard Isaiah Washington. What do you know about him?

Jamir Harris: I know him and we have played against each other since we were younger. I have known him for a long time. He is a great player. Great point guard. His IQ for the game is very, very high and he knows how to get his teammates involved. He is a great all-around player, so I am very excited to play with him. I think that we are going to be a good backcourt.

Gopher Hole: How was your senior season? Max Preps has you ranked as the eighth in the country. How pleased are you with how things have gone so far?

Jamir Harris: I am very pleased. We had a pretty decent season this year. We had some ups and downs early, but as of late, we have been playing our best basketball at the perfect time. We have our game tomorrow, semifinal game and after we win that game, we have the championship game on Monday and get the first TOC in Patrick School history. Overall, it has been a great season for us, especially having a senior-ladened team. Our last hurrah.

Gopher Hole: Your coach told me earlier this week that because of the weather the schedule was pushed back and you are playing the semifinals on Sunday. I know that New Jersey team will play on Sundays in events like the old Prime Time Shootout, something that Minnesota teams never do. Is that kind of a weird thing to play on a Sunday for you guys or is just another game?

Jamir Harris: Not really. It doesn't really matter which day it is. We are just so excited to play in the game. Having that feeling that this could possibly be our last game. We've only got two left, so we are trying to go into this game and put it all out there.

Gopher Hole: What do you know about Teaneck?

Jamir Harris: I know a few of their players who play on my AAU program, Leondre Washington and Ja'Quaye James, so me and (teammate) Marcus McClary, who also played on the Playaz, we are very familiar with those guys. We know that they can run a lot of things with them team-wise, so it should be a very interesting matchup.

Gopher Hole: To be honest, your team is loaded with talent. You have a Kentucky signee (Nicholas Richards, who is playing in the Nike All-American Game), two Tulane signee, a Monmouth signee and yourself. Do you think that will help you a little bit in college because you are not always having to be the main man and obviously, in college, you are going to have a lot of talent around you? Do you think that helps you playing around a lot of great talent on your high school team?

Jamir Harris: Oh, definitely. We have a lot of talent on our team and we are very, very deep. Having that amount of talent is a definitely an asset. On any given night, it can be anyone's night. We have so many ways of attacking as a team, a lot of teams can't match up, because of the talent that we have. Playing with great players is a very great thing. It gives you a great chance to win, which is what I ultimately want to do.

Gopher Hole: I know that your numbers are quite as big, because of the talent that you have on your team, but I know that you went over 1,000 points earlier this year. How pleased are you with your own individual play this season?

Jamir Harris: I am very pleased. I felt like I made strides on the floor, especially in the leadership ways. I came into the season trying to be more vocal and more of a leader and I felt that I accomplished that. My senior season has been a productive one.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to play in any postseason All-Star games?

Jamir Harris: I am playing in the Jordan Brand Regional game (held at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn April 14th) and as of now, that is the only one that I know about.

Gopher Hole: What will that experience be like?

Jamir Harris: That will be extremely, extremely exciting. To go there and play in that game is an honor. A great opportunity that I am excited for.

Gopher Hole: Once your season ends, what things are you going to be working on to get ready for your freshman year at Minnesota?

Jamir Harris: Just getting stronger, faster and more athletic. Toning all my skills, My ballhandling. Shooting, of course and working out. Preparing to get down there. I want to come down there ready to make an impact right away, so I am going to work right after the season is over.

Gopher Hole: Are you watching much of the NCAA Tournament?

Jamir Harris: Definitely. I am watching it right now.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to have the chance to play in the tournament next year?

Jamir Harris: That would be great. I am at a loss for words for that. Playing in the NCAA tournament would be a huge accomplishment.

Gopher Hole: Is there a college player or anyone who you compared yourself to or watch and try to copy some of their moves?

Jamir Harris: Maybe nobody in college, but as far as the NBA, I try to watch a lot of Steph Curry and Kyrie Irving (who played at St. Patrick's) as well. I try to combine their games and follow them in certain ways.

Can't wait for him and Washington to begin raining threes at Williams next year. If that happens, our offense will be hard to stop, as we have pretty good inside scoring already. If a spot opens up, and we get a grad transfer forward that can shoot the three-ball, watch out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Q&A: McKinley Wright Talks About His College Future After Archie Miller Left Dayton for Indiana
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/776624?referrer_id=

McKinley Wright IV, a 6-foot-1, 180-pound senior guard from Champlin Park (MN) High, was recently named Minnesota's Mr. Basketball. Wright averaged 22.8 points, 8.0 rebounds and 7.4 assists per game this season for the Rebels, who finished runner-up in last week's Class AAAA state tournament.

Wright made his official visit to Minnesota last fall and narrowed his college choice to Dayton and Minnesota. Four-star guard Isaiah Washington committed to the Gophers September 11th and Wright committed to the Flyers two days later.

Dayton assistant coach Tom Ostrom attended the Rebels' opening round game versus Chaska at the Target Center after finishing with 30 points and eight rebounds in a 53-50 win. Wright had 21 points, seven rebounds and five assists in their 70-62 win over Wayzata last Thursday to advance to the title game.

However, Saturday morning it was announced that Dayton head coach Archie Miller would leave to take a similar job at Indiana. Wright was held to just four of 15 shooting from the field and six of eleven from the charity stripe as the Rebels lost to Apple Valley in the title game 60-54, snapping their unbeaten streak.

Wright had offers from schools such as Minnesota, Dayton, Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Xavier, Sam Houston State, Illinois and Creighton. Wright attended the Minnesota games versus Nebraska-Omaha and Clemson last year.

Wright caught up with Gopher Hole Saturday at the Minnesota Basketball Coaches Association All-Star Series at Macalester College to talk about the latest on being named Mr. Basketball and his future college home.

Gopher Hole: You were named Minnesota Mr. Basketball. What does that mean to you?

McKinley Wright: It is a huge honor. Knowing that this award is national, it means so much to individual players. It is a big thing for me and my family. For me personally, knowing that all the hard work I have been putting in is starting to pay off, so that was big for me.

Gopher Hole: You played in the Minnesota Basketball Coaches Association All-Star Series in St. Cloud Friday and at Macalester College today. There was a lot of scoring, but it was also fun to see some of the players that you have grown up with and against. What was this experience like?

McKinley Wright: It was fun. The top players in the state. We all got together. Had a fun night last night. Had fun at the hotel and come back today and play some more games. It was a fun experience before everybody takes off for college to throw an event like this, so it was fun. .

Gopher Hole: You have grown up with some of these kids and played with them many times. Is it kind of fun to get everybody together one last time?

McKinley Wright: It was fun. Everybody knows each other's game. We played each other all throughout the high school season. This doesn't mean as much as high school records and stuff like that, so we didn't really care who came out with the W's tonight. We just try to come out and have fun.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you have been getting asked this a million times, but what is the latest on your recruitment right now?

McKinley Wright: I don't really have nothing going on. Archie Miller left Dayton and went to Indiana. Since then, I haven't really thought about anything. I am just taking this slow. Letting everything go by. Talked to Coach (Anthony) Grant at Dayton. He seems like a good guy. There is nothing really going on right now.

Gopher Hole: Do you know anything about him at all? He was the head coach at VCU and Alabama.

McKinley Wright: He coached at VCU and Alabama. He was an assistant coach for the Thunder with Westbrook and Durant. That is pretty much all I know.

Gopher Hole: Are you starting to hear from other schools?

McKinley Wright: I don't have a release, though. Schools can't hit me up, so I don't know if they are talking to my coaches or who they are talking to, but there is nobody hitting me up, individually.

Gopher Hole: Is this kind of tough because you knew where you were going for quite awhile and now it is up in the air. Does that make it a little tough for you?

McKinley Wright: I mean, it is a tough situation. Me and Miller had a good relationship. Me and Tom Ostrom had a good relationship. I don't know what is going on there. Right now, like I said I am just laying back and taking everything slow.

Gopher Hole: How many official visits did you end up taking in the fall? (A player gets five official visits)

McKinley Wright: I have taken two. Minnesota and Dayton.

Gopher Hole: Do you have a time frame for when you are hoping to know what you are doing?

McKinley Wright: I don't really have a time frame. Like I said, taking everything slow. Letting this all go over. Try to have fun. Like this weekend was big for me, to come out and have fun. I tried not to worry about that at all. These guys helped me. I am close with these guys and we just had fun.

Gopher Hole: Have you talked to any of the other Dayton signees. I think that I saw that one is going to go to Indiana?

McKinley Wright: I talked to both Jordans Jordan (Pierce, a 6-foot-10 power forward from New Jersey and Jordan Davis, a 6-foot-3 shooting guard from South Carolina. I talked to all of them. They don't really know what is going on. They are the same position as I am. They are taking it slow. Having fun. They had all-star games in their states, too. Like I said, we are not rushing into anything right now. We are just taking everything slow.

Gopher Hole: I know that it is a tough situation for all of you, but is it kind of nice that you at least have other kids that you can talk to and unfortunately are going through the same thing?

McKinley Wright: It's nice. To hear other people's opinion on what they may do or what they are going to do. Like I said, we're not really rushing into anything.

die hard gopher first posted in the transfer thread, figured I'd put here as well.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

From a Columbia Daily Tribune article talking about Hughes leaving -

He scored in double figures seven times in Missouri's first nine games, but his efficiency continued to diminish throughout the season. Hughes would only break double figures once after Dec. 17, but his 22 points at Mississippi on Feb. 25 nearly sparked an upset of the Rebels.

Hughes averaged 7.6 points over his freshman season. He led the team in 3-point attempts despite shooting 26.8 percent from beyond the arc and was third on the team in field goals attempted while shooting 29.6 from the field

Gophers Add Transfer Center Matz Stockman

Head coach Richard Pitino announced Wednesday the addition of forward/center Matz (pronounced MOTTS) Stockman, who will transfer to the Minnesota men’s basketball program.

Stockman, a native of Oslo, Norway who spent three seasons at the University of Louisville, will sit out the 2017-18 season before taking the court with one year of eligibility for the Gophers.

“I am very excited about the addition of Matz Stockman,” said Pitino. “I believe Matz will come in and contribute immediately. He’s got the size and skill to make an impact in the Big Ten. He will be a terrific addition on the court, in the locker room, on campus and in the classroom.”

In his three seasons with the Cardinals, the 7-foot, 240-pound Stockman appeared in 45 games in a reserve role. He connected on 56.5 percent of his field goal attempts (39-69) while scoring 97 points (2.2 ppg). Stockman also grabbed 71 rebounds (1.6 rpg), blocked 14 shots and recorded eight assists and five steals. Stockman averaged 5.3 minutes per game during his time in Louisville.

Several of his career-high performances came this past season, including a 10-point outing against Grand Canyon (Dec. 3) in which he was a perfect 3-for-3 from the field and 4-of-5 from the free throw line.

Stockman is a graduate of the Canarias Basketball Academy in the Canary Islands.

That determination can't be made until both guys step on a college campus, and actually play games vs. high-level competition. Very real chance it's going to work out great for both schools.

Sounds like you agree that people currently viewing it as a failure that we didn't get Davison is ridiculous.

Some will still view it as a failure that we got Washington instead of Davison.

That determination can't be made until both guys step on a college campus, and actually play games vs. high-level competition. Very real chance it's going to work out great for both schools.

Sounds like you agree that people currently viewing it as a failure that we didn't get Davison is ridiculous.

I've never seen Washington play. Saw Davison on one occasion, and that was enough to convince me I'd want him in a Gopher uniform. Guessing both will get regular rotation minutes as true freshmen.

Final ESPN Top 100. http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/order/true

Interesting notes: Trent Jr at #7, Jericho Sims at #64, Isaiah Washington right below at #65, Reuvers comes in at #83 and four spots below was gopher target Hasahn French at #87. No Davison

He moved up 23 spots from #88.

Final rankings for Isaiah

ESPN: 65
Rivals: 59
Scout: 64
247: 61

Average: 62.25

247 composite: 61

Thats about as consistent of a grouping as I've ever seen across the 4 sites outside of the top 15-20 players in the country. All within 6 spots of each other.

Top Bottom