All Things Gophers Basketball 2017 Recruiting Thread

For my GH friends...

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

My hopes are up.

There wasn’t much Richard Pitino could do about being behind recruiting the state’s “Big Three” in the 2014 class — and the Gophers’ staff worked hard to make up for lost ground on the elite players in 2015 and 2016, which included Alex Illikainen, Jarvis Johnson and Amir Coffey.

Pitino took an important step in establishing himself with Minnesota’s top 2017 prospect in Apple Valley wing Gary Trent Jr., who received a scholarship offer from the University of Minnesota while attending Pitino’s team camp Saturday.

This year's very good recruiting class has increased the possibility slightly (from very low) that Trent could stay home IMO. He is a a one and done type player. Why not do it at Minnesota. You add a five star recruit in 2 years with the developing talent from last year and this year's recruiting class and the team has the potential to be a top 10 team w/ Trent - crazy as that sounds now given the rebuilding that is taking place. If the Gophers over-achieve a bit this next year with some of the freshman really stepping up, Trent could step in and be a rock star that puts this team near the top in 2018. How is that for getting your hopes up?

As it stands today, we will have one scholarship for this class correct? Buggs is the only Junior on the team this year.

This year's very good recruiting class has increased the possibility slightly (from very low) that Trent could stay home IMO. He is a a one and done type player. Why not do it at Minnesota. You add a five star recruit in 2 years with the developing talent from last year and this year's recruiting class and the team has the potential to be a top 10 team w/ Trent - crazy as that sounds now given the rebuilding that is taking place. If the Gophers over-achieve a bit this next year with some of the freshman really stepping up, Trent could step in and be a rock star that puts this team near the top in 2018. How is that for getting your hopes up?

I know it's a rhetorical question, but the reason you go elsewhere if you're Trent is the chance to do what Tyus Jones did - win a national title in your single year of competition. Not trying to give him ideas, but I'm sure it's an idea that's already crossed his mind.

I know it's a rhetorical question, but the reason you go elsewhere if you're Trent is the chance to do what Tyus Jones did - win a national title in your single year of competition. Not trying to give him ideas, but I'm sure it's an idea that's already crossed his mind.

I think Watertown's point is, why couldn't he do that at Minnesota? Tyus won it with a bunch of 5 star freshman. Why couldn't Trent do it with some 4 Star juniors and Sophomores? Plus if you potentially add Coffey into the mix. I mean, it is an "everything goes according to plan, Gophers are extremely lucky, and everything goes our way" scenario, but it is a scenario that exists now at least. Wisconsin (As much as I hate to do this) nearly won a title with one 5 star prospect (Dekker) and some 3 and 4 star players. Same thing could potentially happen here if guys develop well and Pitino can coach.

I think Watertown's point is, why couldn't he do that at Minnesota? Tyus won it with a bunch of 5 star freshman. Why couldn't Trent do it with some 4 Star juniors and Sophomores? Plus if you potentially add Coffey into the mix. I mean, it is an "everything goes according to plan, Gophers are extremely lucky, and everything goes our way" scenario, but it is a scenario that exists now at least. Wisconsin (As much as I hate to do this) nearly won a title with one 5 star prospect (Dekker) and some 3 and 4 star players. Same thing could potentially happen here if guys develop well and Pitino can coach.

No, you're absolutely right. It's easy for us fans to get into that way of thinking, too. True, why not here? But it remains that it's a much smaller leap of faith to go with a program and coach with a track record of having won it all.

But why didn't Tyus, Reid and Vaughn try to do that here?

No, you're absolutely right. It's easy for us fans to get into that way of thinking, too. True, why not here? But it remains that it's a much smaller leap of faith to go with a program and coach with a track record of having won it all.

Can't argue that, agreed.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

That looks like a 1 on 1 fest. Are the other 8 guys just out there to rebound and inbound the ball?

Gary Trent ...Gophs need to find a coach who can keep these type of players from leaving MN.http://t.co/wxWR4oiFS0

Of the top 25 on 247sports composite rankings last year(2015) only 8 of them stayed home.
2014 only 3 of the top 25 stayed home (i removed Vuaghn from the stayed home category even though he went to UNLV after being in NV his senior year)
2013 only 9 of the top 25 stayed in their state
2012 only 6 of the top 25 stayed home.

over the last 4 recruiting classed 26 of 100 players in the top 25 stayed in their home school. As you can see it's not a MN problem its an issue for just about everyone in terms of kids leaving to go somewhere else.

Staying home is defined by going to a school in the same state as the high school attended.

Of the top 25 on 247sports composite rankings last year(2015) only 8 of them stayed home.
2014 only 3 of the top 25 stayed home (i removed Vuaghn from the stayed home category even though he went to UNLV after being in NV his senior year)
2013 only 9 of the top 25 stayed in their state
2012 only 6 of the top 25 stayed home.

over the last 4 recruiting classed 26 of 100 players in the top 25 stayed in their home school. As you can see it's not a MN problem its an issue for just about everyone in terms of kids leaving to go somewhere else.

Staying home is defined by going to a school in the same state as the high school attended.

Very interesting thanks for the post

IOWA Gets verbal from 2018...espn 16th rated player.
Joe Wieskamp
Video | Scouts Report
ESPN 25
SF Muscatine, IA
Muscatine High School 6'4'' 90
IOWA
COMMITTED
06/09/2

Going to be really interesting to see how the 2017 class shakes out. Tons of talent, not many scholarships.

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New Rivals Top 100 for 2017 HS Hoops. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a> recruits include:
#10: Trent
#19 Diallo
<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/73Mar?src=hash">#73Mar</a>
#79 Wilson
#80 Washington
#87 John
#95 Lewis</p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/status/615986775681560576">June 30, 2015</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Damn. Lots of top 100 prospects. It we get just one of them I'll be satisfied.

Top Bottom