All Things Gophers Basketball 2017 Recruiting Thread

Xavier not a regular powerhouse? Have played in 14 of the last 16 NCAA tournaments with a couple Elite 8's and 4 Sweet 16's.
Meh, they aren't a Kansas, MSU, or Wisconsin. Midwest programs that have prestige. And play on a big stage. I'm a Marquette fan, but I'll be the first to admit the Big East is not a power conference, especially in terms of national exposure. I'd rather he visit Xavier than most B1G programs.

Apparently he picked up a Texas A&M offer in the last day or two.

per Lawless:

Due to his high level of play recently, Washington’s recruitment has amped up.

“More schools have started to recruit me recently,” he said. “I got interest from Georgia Tech and Alabama. I also just picked up an offer from Texas A&M.”

Four programs have been after him the hardest lately.

“Minnesota, New Mexico, Seton Hall, Butler are the four schools that have been recruiting me the hardest lately,” he told MADEHoops.

He just came back from an unofficial visit to Minnesota, which he found to a great experience.

“I went on an unofficial visit to Minnesota a couple days ago,” said Washington. “It was a good visit and I like it out there. It was even better than I expected and it’s a good option for me.”

Washington isn’t looking to cut down his list of schools anytime soon.

“I’ll look to cut my list of schools sometime during my senior year of high school and move forward from there,” Washington said. “After I cut down my list I’ll then look for the best time to make a decision.”

There are a couple of main factors that will make up his decision.

“I just have to feel comfortable and at home with the school I choose,” he said. “I’d like for the ball to be in my hands and for them to have the same style of play that I have.”

http://www.madehoops.com/news_article/show/664323?referrer_id=

Go Gophers!!

per Lawless:

Due to his high level of play recently, Washington’s recruitment has amped up.

“More schools have started to recruit me recently,” he said. “I got interest from Georgia Tech and Alabama. I also just picked up an offer from Texas A&M.”

Four programs have been after him the hardest lately.

“Minnesota, New Mexico, Seton Hall, Butler are the four schools that have been recruiting me the hardest lately,” he told MADEHoops.

He just came back from an unofficial visit to Minnesota, which he found to a great experience.

“I went on an unofficial visit to Minnesota a couple days ago,” said Washington. “It was a good visit and I like it out there. It was even better than I expected and it’s a good option for me.”

Washington isn’t looking to cut down his list of schools anytime soon.

“I’ll look to cut my list of schools sometime during my senior year of high school and move forward from there,” Washington said. “After I cut down my list I’ll then look for the best time to make a decision.”

There are a couple of main factors that will make up his decision.

“I just have to feel comfortable and at home with the school I choose,” he said. “I’d like for the ball to be in my hands and for them to have the same style of play that I have.”

http://www.madehoops.com/news_article/show/664323?referrer_id=

Go Gophers!!

Not a lot of team in those responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question would be if Wright commits do we still recruit Washington?

I doubt it, maybe if he waited until the spring and there was another opening, but we need a guard and someone who can play the four

I think we need a 5 more than we need a 4, but I think we'd settle for anyone that can play in the post.

I think we need a 5 more than we need a 4, but I think we'd settle for anyone that can play in the post.

This is spot on. We have really been killed down low the past couple seasons even though I understand its hard to find good big men. Off topic but I wonder if we will offer Brad Davison? He has picked up quite the list lately and has been putting together a great AAU season from what I hear.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well considering the team isn't even trying to get Davison, and Trent/Reuvers are out of the mix, I'd say getting John, Sims and Wright would be a heck of a class. Amazing to think the Gophers could miss out on the three best prospects in the state and still come away with a nice all-MN class.

That said, it's a little unsettling to think that it doesnt really feel like any of those remaining guys are close to locks. Think if I were a betting man and had to pick one that we'll get, I'd say Sims is the most likely. But hopefully Wright and John want to stay home. I don't get the feeling that they do. That's not based on much other than random feeling though.

Well considering the team isn't even trying to get Davison, and Trent/Reuvers are out of the mix, I'd say getting John, Sims and Wright would be a heck of a class. Amazing to think the Gophers could miss out on the three best prospects in the state and still come away with a nice all-MN class.

That said, it's a little unsettling to think that it doesnt really feel like any of those remaining guys are close to locks. Think if I were a betting man and had to pick one that we'll get, I'd say Sims is the most likely. But hopefully Wright and John want to stay home. I don't get the feeling that they do. That's not based on much other than random feeling though.

I would think the staff probably feels pretty confident on landing two of the current players they have offered, especially one of the PG's Wright and Washington. We haven't heard any new names pop up for a long time, so there doesn't appear to be panic at this point. You'd think they would at least be in contact with a guy like Davison if they felt otherwise.

It is well known that Davison has had no interest in going to school at the U. This has been handled well by everyone as it allows all parties to move on. FYI , the next time he is ranked he will be top 75

It is well known that Davison has had no interest in going to school at the U. This has been handled well by everyone as it allows all parties to move on. FYI , the next time he is ranked he will be top 75

Are you joking? Davison and his family have (or had) Gopher season tickets and went to every game. He was a regular visitor on campus unofficials his fresh/soph years. He would've been a Gopher already if Pitino had offered. If there is "no interest" now it's due to no offer. Which unfortunately is a mistake on our part, I believe. Implication of recent posts in this thread, that we could still land him if we offered now, probably are moot anyway because this staff isn't going to do it.

Rivals new ratings came out yesterday and Davison is 119. Top 75 would be almost as high as Amir Coffey was, and while I love Davison's game he isn't close to Coffey as a prospect.

About as accurate as your Amir Coffey will go to Michigan prediction. But we all say dumb **** after midnight sometimes

It all changed when the work he did in the classroom opened up doors to more acclaimed schools. Also, i never predicted AC would go to Michigan. This past January the Davisons made it clear what direction they were going. Tom Konchalski and Eric Bossi both think of him as a top 75 kid who just keeps improving.

It all changed when the work he did in the classroom opened up doors to more acclaimed schools. Also, i never predicted AC would go to Michigan. This past January the Davisons made it clear what direction they were going. Tom Konchalski and Eric Bossi both think of him as a top 75 kid who just keeps improving.

It will be Michigan unless he improves enough to get a Duke offer.
From the Amir Coffey recruiting thread

That said, it's a little unsettling to think that it doesnt really feel like any of those remaining guys are close to locks. Think if I were a betting man and had to pick one that we'll get, I'd say Sims is the most likely. But hopefully Wright and John want to stay home. I don't get the feeling that they do. That's not based on much other than random feeling though.[/QI

How do you know they aren't in any contact with Davison? I would be surprised if there was no contact with him, but with the whole not contacting Reuvers thing maybe you are right. I imagine its tough to keep kids on the line like that when they start to pick up good offers and when they aren't that high up on the board. Is anybody else surpised that Davison is ranked higher than Wright though? (I know its just rankings)
The more I think about it, why wouldn't we offer Davison?

I'm not going to stoop to agreeing with builtbadgers but I will say I don't believe the line of, "if option 1 seems unlikely we'll just make a call to a top 100ish guy that seemingly has no interest and get him."

I realize Davison is in-state and there was initial interest/contact, but other than that, it's like saying we're going to call some top 100 kid in Georgia and just reel him in as a backup option.

What I'm saying is that I don't think the program is in a state where we can feel confident that "oh, we can't get this guy, I bet that other top ranked prospect would love to come in as a backup option." Unfortunately, if Washington and/or Wright go elsewhere, we're probably going for some diamond in the rough type guy or a lower ceiling guy. That's the state of the program right now in plain and honest terms.

Of course I can always be wrong on that because, yes, Davison is in-state and there is the fandom angle. He seems to be interested in a lot of other schools, though.

I'm not going to stoop to agreeing with builtbadgers but I will say I don't believe the line of, "if option 1 seems unlikely we'll just make a call to a top 100ish guy that seemingly has no interest and get him." I realize Davison is in-state and there was initial interest/contact, but other than that, it's like saying we're going to call some top 100 kid in Georgia and just reel him in as a backup option. What I'm saying is that I don't think the program is in a state where we can feel confident that "oh, we can't get this guy, I bet that other top ranked prospect would love to come in as a backup option." Unfortunately, if Washington and/or Wright go elsewhere, we're probably going for some diamond in the rough type guy or a lower ceiling guy. That's the state of the program right now in plain and honest terms. Of course I can always be wrong on that because, yes, Davison is in-state and there is the fandom angle. He seems to be interested in a lot of other schools, though.

I think the point is, a lot of Gopher fans wish we would've offered or at least kept recruiting him. Gopher staff made its decision and we're second guessing, which is what fans do.

You really have no idea what you're talking about so why don't you just stop. The offers Davison is deciding among all came within about the past month...Stanford, Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin, maybe one other I'm forgetting. Point is he'd be a Gopher already if the staff wanted him...this thread is about fans discussing/lamenting that.

Like I said, Bossi (Rivals) just ranked Davison 119 yesterday.

You really have no idea what you're talking about so why don't you just stop. The offers Davison is deciding among all came within about the past month...Stanford, Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin, maybe one other I'm forgetting. Point is he'd be a Gopher already if the staff wanted him...this thread is about fans discussing/lamenting that.

Like I said, Bossi (Rivals) just ranked Davison 119 yesterday.

Not trying to pick sides because I have no insight either way.....but, why do you assume he would be a Gopher already because he went to a bunch of games and had a couple of unofficial visits with the Gophers? Sounds like the Reid Travis recruitment from a few years back. We all just assume that Minnesota kids want to be Minnesota Gophers and it's the coaches fault when somebody doesn't sign here. What if a kid just wants to try something else? It's ok......

Not trying to pick sides because I have no insight either way.....but, why do you assume he would be a Gopher already because he went to a bunch of games and had a couple of unofficial visits with the Gophers? Sounds like the Reid Travis recruitment from a few years back. We all just assume that Minnesota kids want to be Minnesota Gophers and it's the coaches fault when somebody doesn't sign here. What if a kid just wants to try something else? It's ok......

+1 Yep, we have no idea what some of these kids are going though. Maybe a kid feels that they need to get out of the state for whatever reason. No harm in that as we have no idea what anyone else is really going through.

Top Bottom