All Things Gophers Basketball 2017 Recruiting Thread

What? The original post says he's from Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know, I'm making fun of the people who lamented Nwankwo's recruitment even though he had lived in New York for many years.

Ahhhhh, he's a Shirley. Way ta go mate.

Australia and Africa are separate continents I hear. What do you know?

They both start with A.

They both end in "a" as well! This guy could be rom Austria, Alabama, Alahombra, or Alaska as well.

I guess we will never know......

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm wondering if anyone thinks we should have saved the Fitzgerald and Lynch scholarships for a couple of 2017 recruits. I think some good players, who want to be here, especially from MN won't be able to be Gophers because of a lack of scholarships.

I'm wondering if anyone thinks we should have saved the Fitzgerald and Lynch scholarships for a couple of 2017 recruits. I think some good players, who want to be here, especially from MN won't be able to be Gophers because of a lack of scholarships.

No, both of those guys will be immediate contributors and I'm willing to bet a scholarship or two will open up going into next summer.

Silly question...we only have one scholarship for 2017 and that has been earmarked for Theo John. With a ton of scholarships for 2018,, would Ruevers and Davison come as PWO's, redshirt their freshman year, and then be on full scholly the next 4 years?

Silly question...we only have one scholarship for 2017 and that has been earmarked for Theo John. With a ton of scholarships for 2018,, would Ruevers and Davison come as PWO's, redshirt their freshman year, and then be on full scholly the next 4 years?

Davison already has a Nebraska offer while Reuvers best offer is DePaul. I think it would have to be an unusual situation to get a kid to turn down a high major offer for the promise of a scholarship in a future year. Would be great news for the Gophers if they could work out such an arrangement though.

2017 has a lot of nice players too, so it kind of sucks with only 1 scholarship. Trent, Theo, Wright, Mar, Reuvers, Davison

Not a likely scenario but if the family has the financial means to cover the first year of education, it could be possible. Davison and Ruevers look like candidates to redshirt anyways. I know it's a stretch but if the kids really want to be Gophers, it remains an option. Gary Trent Jr would look damn good in a Gopher uniform, too!

Trent is out of the picture, not going to happen.

Theo John is probably the next best thing, but I think Wright, Mar, and Reuvers would all be good gets for the Gophers.

I'm not all that high on Davison or El-Amin but they both have high major offers also; really solid class.

Would you rather have Trent for 1 year or John for three or four?

I'd rather have John.

I'm not all that high on Davison or El-Amin but they both have high major offers also; really solid class.

I just don't think Davison fits the profile or style the Gophers play, in a structured offense that creates shots he could be successful, I don't see him in a run and gun environment. Is Wisconsin recruiting him, he'd be a better fit in that of type offense.

I'd rather have John.

Most likely, but with Trent we could potentially go on a huge run in March. Which could lead to more 5-star players considering us. If that happened, then I'd rather have Trent.

Most likely, but with Trent we could potentially go on a huge run in March. Which could lead to more 5-star players considering us. If that happened, then I'd rather have Trent.

Yeah, if having Trent for one year was enough to push us over the edge to a Sweet 16/Elite 8 and/or possible Big Ten championship, I'd probably take him.

On the other hand the 2017 Minnesota high school class seems to have the largest amount of high major quality players that we've had in quite some time, and it might be a good time to take a 4 year player or two, especially considering I don't know who else is good after 2017 outside of Tre Jones in 2018 and Matthew Hurt in 2019, who might both be tough guys to get.

But I also think there's no way we turn Trent down if he actually wants to come here. I don't think there's a great chance of that happening, but with Amir Coffey on the team, who seems to have some sort of friendship with Trent, and having gotten the top Minnesota guys in 2015 and 2016, I'd put our chances above 0.

I think we have at least two scholarships in 2017, with a pretty good chance at having three. So I don't think we have to worry about choosing between Trent and John.

I'd rather have John.

If I really had to choose it would be Gary. A lineup of:

Mason/Dorsey
Trent/Mcbrayer
Coffey/Fitz/Hurt/Gilbert
Murphy/Curry
Lynch/Konate/Diedhiou

That lineup would have the possibility of making a deep run in the tournament. Of course, if Trent and John both want to be golden gophers, Pitino would make room for them both if their wasn't already.

Yeah, if having Trent for one year was enough to push us over the edge to a Sweet 16/Elite 8 and/or possible Big Ten championship, I'd probably take him.

On the other hand the 2017 Minnesota high school class seems to have the largest amount of high major quality players that we've had in quite some time, and it might be a good time to take a 4 year player or two, especially considering I don't know who else is good after 2017 outside of Tre Jones in 2018 and Matthew Hurt in 2019, who might both be tough guys to get.

But I also think there's no way we turn Trent down if he actually wants to come here. I don't think there's a great chance of that happening, but with Amir Coffey on the team, who seems to have some sort of friendship with Trent, and having gotten the top Minnesota guys in 2015 and 2016, I'd put our chances above 0.

In 2018, Tre is probably out of range, but Race Thompson, Gabe Kalscheur, Daniel Oturu, Adam Trapp, and Shae Mitchell are all guys to keep an eye on.

Top Bottom