All Things 2016 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Minnesota has offered Bruce Brown, a 2016 wing from BABC (MA), per his coach.</p>— Alex Kline (@TheRecruitScoop) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/statuses/460892588480815105">April 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reminds of a more athletic and lankier Dre. He's 6'3 with a 6'7 wingspan.

Reminds of a more athletic and lankier Dre. He's 6'3 with a 6'7 wingspan.

Seems more like a taller and slower Mathieu to me. Or possibly a shorter, less athletic, and better-shooting Rodney.

Sorry, I just really don't see any comparison to Dre here.

Seems more like a taller and slower Mathieu to me. Or possibly a shorter, less athletic, and better-shooting Rodney.

Sorry, I just really don't see any comparison to Dre here.

I see a little bit of Jamal Crawford. Same size, similar goofiness while attacking the rim. Similar effectiveness per a highlight tape.

Brown goes to the high school McNeil went to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lA1yN5W1od8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2016 Minnetonka PG to keep an eye on, some high major interest already

Looks like he's got a little Mathieu in him. I love his aggressiveness going to the hoop.

Looks like he's got a little Mathieu in him. I love his aggressiveness going to the hoop.

Agreed, also looks rather young there... Wonder what year that is from, doesn't look like varsity talent on the court against him. End of the day, its his age group and he looks very comfortable moving around and gets wherever he wants to.

I'm not sold that just because Pitino recruited Deandre Mathieu that those are the types of PGs he wants and will continue to recruit. 5'9" PGs need to be good at a lot of things to be successful in high major Basketball.

Agreed, also looks rather young there... Wonder what year that is from, doesn't look like varsity talent on the court against him. End of the day, its his age group and he looks very comfortable moving around and gets wherever he wants to.

I'm not sold that just because Pitino recruited Deandre Mathieu that those are the types of PGs he wants and will continue to recruit. 5'9" PGs need to be good at a lot of things to be successful in high major Basketball.

Pretty sure that is extremely recent video, it was posted on 4/21/14. I agree about Pitino probably wan't bigger PGs than Mathieu and this kid though.

Pretty sure that is extremely recent video, it was posted on 4/21/14. I agree about Pitino probably wan't bigger PGs than Mathieu and this kid though.

Yeah, now that I've seen Richard's other videos he posted, I'm assuming this is from the other weekend Pully games. I don't know how those are formatted. My comment came from a couple kids that didn't quite look like they belonged chasing after him. Is it age divisions? If so, that could explain, he's likely playing with a bunch of sophomores.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I think about BIG10 basketball everyday yoo smh My Dudes From Minnesota keep me up though &#55357;&#56495;</p>— Anthony Piper (@Youngyoson3) <a href="https://twitter.com/Youngyoson3/statuses/476938791727661056">June 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

So I figured Piper is now a 2016 recruit correct? looks like he will most likely join us in a few years?

So it was DeJaun, DaJuan, Djuan, and now Anthony Piper? Hard to keep track of guy with 4 different names! FWIW, I'm glad that Piper is going JUCO. Pitino can watch him for two years to make sure he has what it takes to play!

It's good to see he doesn't have any bitterness towards Minnesota even after not getting admitted here. I could definitely see some high school kids holding a grudge in today's world in this type of situation even though they're at fault. Cool to see the staff is probably still in contact with him too and keeping the relationship in tact. Sounds like the Gophers are likely a lock for him in two years if they want him, unless he absolutely blows up and the big-time blue bloods come calling.

It's good to see he doesn't have any bitterness towards Minnesota even after not getting admitted here. I could definitely see some high school kids holding a grudge in today's world in this type of situation even though they're at fault. Cool to see the staff is probably still in contact with him too and keeping the relationship in tact. Sounds like the Gophers are likely a lock for him in two years if they want him, unless he absolutely blows up and the big-time blue bloods come calling.

I agree. I would expect most kids would hold a grudge and move on. This actually might work out best for the Gophers. He wasn't going to come in as a freshman and be an all Big-Ten caliber player right away. It was going to take him at least another full year to develop his body and an outside shot to be an effective rotation player. Hopefully he works hard on his game and books and makes it to the Gophers ready to start in a big way.

The fact that he ended up in JUCO and not some other D-1 program suggests that it wasn't just the U of M's admission standards that prevented him from getting in. Whatever the problems were likely extended beyond the U or the Big Ten.

Great to hear he's still on us, but two years is a long time in the life of a freshman in college.

The fact that he ended up in JUCO and not some other D-1 program suggests that it wasn't just the U of M's admission standards that prevented him from getting in. Whatever the problems were likely extended beyond the U or the Big Ten.

Great to hear he's still on us, but two years is a long time in the life of a freshman in college.

Yeah, you're probably right on the admissions to the D1 level. It seemed like he had really gotten his hopes up to come to the U after all of his tweets and interviews; I'm sure it still stung quite a bit when he found out he couldn't get in.

So it was DeJaun, DaJuan, Djuan, and now Anthony Piper? Hard to keep track of guy with 4 different names! FWIW, I'm glad that Piper is going JUCO. Pitino can watch him for two years to make sure he has what it takes to play!

Obviously needs a nickname. It's probably the reason he didn't get admitted - the other three had them.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Today was first day D1s could call 2016s. First call received by Amir Coffey? Minnesota coach Richard Pitino seconds after midnight.</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/478252205997187072">June 15, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Minnesota Coach Richard Pitino also called Brock Bertram, Reed Nikko, Jamil Jackson, Tyler Johnson, and Michael Hurt today. All MN 2016s</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/478254407851601920">June 15, 2014</a></blockquote>

If I see Pitino on the street I think I'm going to kiss him. Nobody outworks this guy.

Does that offer apply to other crimes or just this one?

This one plus any crime against a badger or hawkeye fan...especially if you stab one, because stabbing is only a minor crime in Mpls because it happens so often.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>6-ft-11 center Brock Bertram (Apple Valley/Howard Pulley) hearing from Northwestern, Minnesota, Tulsa, Vanderbilt, N Iowa, Texas Tech(offer)</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/479417697650753537">June 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

Top Bottom