All Things 2016 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

per Sid:

• A lot of local coaches believe that Tyler Johnson, the Minneapolis North all-around athlete who committed to Minnesota for football is a better basketball player than football. Maybe Johnson can play both like Tony Dungy did a long time ago.

http://www.startribune.com/moore-adjusts-fast-to-center-gophers-offensive-line/332978551/

Go Gophers!!

I asked this in the football forum, but does anyone know if he will try to walk on with bball as well? It is extremely difficult to do both these days, but his bball highlights are extremely impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was scheduled to visit here Sept. 25 but the visit was cacelled shortly after Amir committed.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

per Marcus: Gophers recruit Michael Hurt: “Kids should take pride in representing their state”

A sign your program is going in the right direction is when top high school players from your state want to stay home.

That happened with Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino’s 2016 class after signing the two best in-state seniors Amir Coffey from Hopkins and Michael Hurt from Rochester John Marshall to begin the early signing period Wednesday.

Coffey and Hurt had a number of high-major offers from around the country, but they wanted to make the home state team a contender in the Big Ten. Will others follow in their footsteps? Time will tell, but they’ll be trying to get more locals to join them for sure.

“I think it’s a really important step not only to keep great in state talent in Minnesota,” Hurt said, “as well as make young kids realize that they should take pride in representing their state, and hopefully we can build our program with the kids in our state!”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...hould-take-pride-in-representing-their-state/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus: Gophers recruit Michael Hurt: “Kids should take pride in representing their state”

A sign your program is going in the right direction is when top high school players from your state want to stay home.

That happened with Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino’s 2016 class after signing the two best in-state seniors Amir Coffey from Hopkins and Michael Hurt from Rochester John Marshall to begin the early signing period Wednesday.

Coffey and Hurt had a number of high-major offers from around the country, but they wanted to make the home state team a contender in the Big Ten. Will others follow in their footsteps? Time will tell, but they’ll be trying to get more locals to join them for sure.

“I think it’s a really important step not only to keep great in state talent in Minnesota,” Hurt said, “as well as make young kids realize that they should take pride in representing their state, and hopefully we can build our program with the kids in our state!”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...hould-take-pride-in-representing-their-state/

Go Gophers!!

From your mouth to your brother's ears, Michael!

Go Gophers!!

Can someone explain how this Stevenson thing would work? I thought we only had 3 open scholarships with Coffey. Curry and Hurt taking the 3? Is the coaching staff assuming someone is transferring next year?

Can someone explain how this Stevenson thing would work? I thought we only had 3 open scholarships with Coffey. Curry and Hurt taking the 3? Is the coaching staff assuming someone is transferring next year?

There was always going to be at least one more if not more than that leaving the team. Pitino needs to win next year. And kids transfer, every program, almost every year.

I think they are talking to a couple of JUCO guys probably just in case anyone does transfer. I've also seen Braian Angola-Rodas a 6'6 SG from North Idaho College mentioned and he is another guy who can shoot the ball pretty well. http://www.nicathletics.com/players.aspx?playerId=975 https://www.nic.edu/news/single.aspx?id=12073

There was always going to be at least one more if not more than that leaving the team. Pitino needs to win next year. And kids transfer, every program, almost every year.

You're not allowed to actually sign them until someone leaves though, right? I've never understood how Kentucky pulls it off with 4-5 guys leaving early ever year...

You're not allowed to actually sign them until someone leaves though, right? I've never understood how Kentucky pulls it off with 4-5 guys leaving early ever year...
You can over sign. Crean does it every year.

As of now, most basketball scholarships are like football scholarships where they are 1 year renewable for up to 4 years offers. Some schools in football are switching to 4 year guaranteed scholarships for some players to help give them an edge in recruiting.

As of now, most basketball scholarships are like football scholarships where they are 1 year renewable for up to 4 years offers. Some schools in football are switching to 4 year guaranteed scholarships for some players to help give them an edge in recruiting.

I thought the big 10 was making them give 4 year schollys?

What do you next do if you over sign? Cut someone, and switch them to an academic scholarship?

You can't switch them to an academic scholarship. If you could, I'm sure it'd be a loophole that would be exploited constantly to get around athletic scholarship limits. I think the rule is something like if you actively recruit a guy, you can't put him on academic scholarship.

You tell them they're cut and generally they'll transfer.

Seems harsh. I realize that there is a real world out there but... What if I rode the pines for two years and I am cut as a junior after blowing out my ACLU as a sophomore and even though my injury healed because of the injury suspicion no other school wants me? What if I come from a low income family and even though I am getting good grades and on time would graduate with a good degree, I am a junior and I get cut? It would seem to me if an athlete represents a school well some assistance should be available.

Yeah, that's just usually what happens. I don't like the idea of it at all, either.

Over-signing sucks. But why do we never do it if everyone else does? We didn't sign Alex Illikainen for lack of a scholarship when history told us there was a 95% chance we would have another scholarship (we ended up with 3.)

What do you mean everyone does it ? I only know of Crean and Buzz williams of all the known names. It is really unjust of you to throw everyone under the bus on something you know nothing about.

What do you mean everyone does it ? I only know of Crean and Buzz williams of all the known names. It is really unjust of you to throw everyone under the bus on something you know nothing about.

Calipari has done it at Kentucky a few times. Elder Pitino has done it a few times. But it is less common in Basketball than in football.

I guess there are two factors at work here. Transfers are a big enough part of the game that you can almost assume that one will occur and we really, really need some outside scoring punch.

I guess there are two factors at work here. Transfers are a big enough part of the game that you can almost assume that one will occur and we really, really need some outside scoring punch.

A reliable, veteran, outside scoring threat that is also good defensively......just what the doctor ordered.

I don't see why we need a SG I would've rather gone for a PF or C

A reliable, veteran, outside scoring threat that is also good defensively......just what the doctor ordered.

This is what worries me about Stevenson. From what I've been able to read about him online through various sites (South Florida was recruiting him out of prep school and found a thread on him on on of their sites and Rutgers is currently recruiting him and found some information there too) it seems like Stevenson is much more an athletic scorer than a shooter. His stats this year tell that story too 23.7 points per game, but just 31% from 3 and 66.3% from the free throw line. As a freshman at the same JUCO, he did shoot a more respectable 37.7% from 3, but the free throw line was an issue at just 66.8%.

On the plus side he can do this:

Stevenson went for 37 points and 10 boards Monday in a loss to Hutchinson. Coaches from Texas A&M and Oregon were at the game to watch Stevenson. Info from the twitter account of BradWinton (JucoRecruiting).

Top Bottom