All Things 2016 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

I don't know if transfers are factored into that, but either way, I will be shocked if that class ends up being outside the top 50 in production.

I wanna say jucos are factored into the rankings, but normal transfers aren't, so no Lynch or Fitzgerald, but it would count Jarvis, who may never play. I thought I also read a little while back that Fitzgerald was one of our better looking players early on.

Take it for what it's worth, but Curry's mom re-tweeted this and a couple other Gopher related tweets during their visit to Ames.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Looks like Curry will take his Arkansas visit this upcoming weekend.

As for where the 2015 class ranks, I think you'll find the Gophers class rated higher by Rivals and Scout than by 247. Rivals ended up with Dorsey at 108, Murphy at 113 and McBrayer at 135. They only ranked 30 classes here (https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1703221), but you can see that the Gophers class should come soon after the top 30.

On the topic of 2016 recruiting, I really want Ponds and hope he makes his visit. A name that nobody has mentioned yet that may be on the Gophers radar for 2016 is Australian guard Dejan Vasiljevic. I noticed awhile ago that Coach Pomeday is following a number of Canadian and Australian prospects so maybe he has some contacts that are unique to this staff. This could mean absolutely nothing, but Coach Pitino himself is following just a handful of 2016 prospects: Hurt, Ponds, Coffey, Marfo, and Vasiljevic.

the 2015 class is going to be about 7th in the conference. That is ok as it is more about what you do with them. 2016 is really a loaded year and many kids have decided early. Some schools are already full.

That's ok. Let's get Coffey and Curry to go with Hurt. That would be a solid recruiting class. Ponds would be nice, but we need size more than guards.

Any chance we ever see Jarvis play ball for gophers in another year? Hard to imagine being cleared to play after being told no this year. Pretty sad I was really looking forward to seeing him.

I don't know if transfers are factored into that, but either way, I will be shocked if that class ends up being outside the top 50 in production.

It was a consensus top 25 class around the time of fall signings -- all 4 players were top-150 on at least one major service and 3 were 4-stars. Then spring recruiting shuffled the rankings, Nwankwo didn't get admitted, and Jarvis couldn't play.

As you say, though, transfers don't count and that is becoming a pretty big omission in rankings (take our case - Lynch is probably an even better get than Nwankwo but that "exchange" dropped our 2015 class ranking, and Fitzgerald might be the best player of all of them that came in 2015).

Any chance we ever see Jarvis play ball for gophers in another year? Hard to imagine being cleared to play after being told no this year. Pretty sad I was really looking forward to seeing him.

It's not impossible, but it would take a lot of legal wrangling in order for the U to allow it.

I wish recruits would start committing, so we know where we stand. All these cancelled visits without a statement are annoying.

Landing Curry is more important now that Marfo eliminated us. The only backup plans at PF we know about are Konate's younger bro and Reed Nikko.

Chances just got better to land Curry. Juco PF, Emmanuel Malou, just committed to Iowa State. They have another PF, Solomon Young, already committed to their 2016 class as well. Hard to see Curry going there now.

Chances just got better to land Curry. Juco PF, Emmanuel Malou, just committed to Iowa State. They have another PF, Solomon Young, already committed to their 2016 class as well. Hard to see Curry going there now.

I'm guessing Arkansas is our biggest competition for Curry.

Malou and Young are both combo forwards. I think ISU sees Curry as a center. Not sure how Curry sees himself.

Malou and Young are both combo forwards. I think ISU sees Curry as a center. Not sure how Curry sees himself.

Curry is being recruited as a stretch 4. I remember reading an interview with him, and that is what he said.

You guys also have Simeon Carter and Brady Ernst as well, so you are getting pretty crowded at forward. I would be really surprised if Curry picked ISU.

Curry is being recruited as a stretch 4. I remember reading an interview with him, and that is what he said.

You guys also have Simeon Carter and Brady Ernst as well, so you are getting pretty crowded at forward. I would be really surprised if Curry picked ISU.
Young and Malou will spend time at the three as well as power forward. Ernst and Simeon will play as well up front, but that makes three three star prep recruits and a 4 star JUCO. Would not bet on ISU getting Curry, but not sure that three 3 star prep and one 4 star JC makes a froncourt crowded. Ernst has a long way to go to contribute at this level and there would be 100 minutes of game time to be split up (assuming Malou and Young both spend some time at a three along with Burton). Curry would have a good shot at 25 minutes per game as a freshman.

Not to get people reliving the whole Reid Travis situation but I think gopher fans are going to be pretty happy tomorrow night after a certain local recruit makes his decision, I'd also like to add that that I have been hearing that Curry will likely decide some time this week, all signs say the gophers are in the driver seat for him as well.

Not to get people reliving the whole Reid Travis situation but I think gopher fans are going to be pretty happy tomorrow night after a certain local recruit makes his decision, I'd also like to add that that I have been hearing that Curry will likely decide some time this week, all signs say the gophers are in the driver seat for him as well.

Hope so would be welcomed news on a nice distraction from the mayhem on the football board

It was a consensus top 25 class around the time of fall signings -- all 4 players were top-150 on at least one major service and 3 were 4-stars. Then spring recruiting shuffled the rankings, Nwankwo didn't get admitted, and Jarvis couldn't play.

As you say, though, transfers don't count and that is becoming a pretty big omission in rankings (take our case - Lynch is probably an even better get than Nwankwo but that "exchange" dropped our 2015 class ranking, and Fitzgerald might be the best player of all of them that came in 2015).

You are not the only person saying it....where does that come from? He averaged 7.3 ppg as a freshman in 24 games and then 3.5 ppg as a sophomore in 24 games. I'm hoping he is solid but I would think Dorsey, McBrayer, and Murphy are better players in 2016-17 than Fitzgerald will be? Is the Fitzgerald love just some Pitino comments how great he looks? He has said that about Martin, EE, MO etc etc I hope Fitzgerald is a stud for sure....just curious why we think he will be?

I'll never forgive you for doing this to my heart again, I'll forgive you for everything if you're right ;)

You are not the only person saying it....where does that come from? He averaged 7.3 ppg as a freshman in 24 games and then 3.5 ppg as a sophomore in 24 games. I'm hoping he is solid but I would think Dorsey, McBrayer, and Murphy are better players in 2016-17 than Fitzgerald will be? Is the Fitzgerald love just some Pitino comments how great he looks? He has said that about Martin, EE, MO etc etc I hope Fitzgerald is a stud for sure....just curious why we think he will be?

I believe he got his points in very small amounts of time, high points per minute, and I think he was hobbled during his sophomore year at Texas a&m, explaining the lack of production. I thought I saw that his freshman year points per minute would have ranked second on the Gophers last year behind only Mo Walker.

Of course only a great fool would say Coffey is a lock, but it's damn close. On Curry- did he take his Arkansas official? If so I didn't really hear a lot of reaction. What a week it would be, fingers crossed.

Of course only a great fool would say Coffey is a lock, but it's damn close. On Curry- did he take his Arkansas official? If so I didn't really hear a lot of reaction. What a week it would be, fingers crossed.

He did take his Arkansas official this weekend and is expected to make his decision this week. We are in good shape with Curry according to Ryan James.

I'm not checking this site for a week. If I come back to two highly recruited players going to Minnesota I'm going to have a hughmogongus smile on my face.

If it's minnesota for the two, it's the schwanns announcement that sealed it, right?

Just stocked up on some alesmith speedway. I'm prepared for failure, but hoping for success

Go Gophers!!

AND THE $52,000 QUESTION...... OPEN TO THE PUBLIC?!?!?

Followed up by the million dollar question...will the open to the public press conference be closed to the public minutes before the announcement?

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom