All Things 2016 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's worth noting that both Arkansas and Iowa State already have a PF commit in each of their recruiting classes. We really don't even have a true 4 man in the roster. I like our chances with Curry.

SMU about to go on probation. Probably wants to avoid that situation. I am worried most about Arkansas

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Richard; be a Gopher supporter...give us your kid.

Amir recruiting reminds me of carter coughlin recruitment. I feel pretty good about it.

Amir looks good in a Gopher uniform! Even if he can't fill up his dad's.

Time for Richard to get out the VHS tapes from the Final 8 run and have a movie night with the young lad.

Ive seen a lot of talent come out of minnesota.....amir has blu blood talent.... and honestly this is the first time since royce and rodney that i think we are far and beyond the favorites to land him

Amir looks good in a Gopher uniform! Even if he can't fill up his dad's.

Serious question. Is it normal for a recruit to don the full uniform like this? I know football recruits throw on a jersey... And yes, I'm trying to read into this as a good sign.

My how times have changed. The dad was a power forward, back in the day, and the son (who looks to be a smidge taller) is a guard. Does look nice in a Gopher uni. Hope we're not reading too much into it. Would be a fantastic commit.

What other officials does he have scheduled? Just Texas? Kind of worried about Shaka+UT facilities+Austin appeal.

I just listened to the Talk Gopher Buckets podcast with Ryan James, and it sounds like Amir will make his decision after the Texas visit. So unless some other team swoops in, it looks to be between us and Texas.

Regarding the visit, Ryan said it went extremely well. He talked to Richard Coffey and Richard talked about how big relationships are with Amir, and the fact that the Gopher staff has done a good job in that regard. Ryan also said that he and Stephon Sharp basically grew up playing basketball together and are very good friends.

James also talked to Eric Curry's mother, and she said the visit was awesome and she even named us the leader at this point. We are his only visit thus far, however. Ryan also talked to Eric regarding future visits, and Eric was unsure if they were even going to take the last visit to Arkansas.

per Marcus: Top 2016 target Amir Coffey bonds with Minnesota players on official visit

But Coffey’s father, Richard, said the most significant lasting impression came from how Coffey interacted with the Gophers’ players, especially fellow Minnesotans such as freshman walk-on guard Stephon Sharp, junior center Reggie Lynch and senior forward Joey King.

Sharp and Coffey were former teammates at Hopkins and grew up playing basketball together.

“The visit went extremely well,” Richard Coffey said. “The players really got along well with Amir. He’s been back over there twice since the visit hanging out with the players. I told (assistant coach Ben Johnson) they did a great job with Amir. You should be proud.”

The Texas visit Sept. 18 is still scheduled right now. The Longhorns are the biggest competition to the Gophers for Coffey in my opinion, but I think the chances of Pitino landing the top senior in Minnesota is very high. I wouldn’t be surprised if he made a decision this month.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...nds-with-minnesota-players-on-official-visit/

Go Gophers!!

James also talked to Eric Curry's mother, and she said the visit was awesome and she even named us the leader at this point. We are his only visit thus far, however. Ryan also talked to Eric regarding future visits, and Eric was unsure if they were even going to take the last visit to Arkansas.

So it sounds like Curry will go to Iowa State this weekend and then could be done with visits? I like the sound of that. Seems like mom loved the visit here, she's been re-tweeted a few pro MN things. Hopefully she and Eric are big city types and thus will be miserable in Ames :cool:

As I said in the Amir thread, pinch me. This could be an amazing recruiting class to go along with last year's nationally ranked class.

“The visit went extremely well,” Richard Coffey said. “The players really got along well with Amir. He’s been back over there twice since the visit hanging out with the players. I told (assistant coach Ben Johnson) they did a great job with Amir. You should be proud.”

JQB7k.gif

Nicholson would be a great recruiter! I'll teach you kids how to party like me!

I'm liking the way this is shaping up, pinch us indeed! if we could get thess two and Ponds,......:clap::clap::clap::cool02:

Michigan got a commit from 4-star point guard Xavier Simpson today. Apparently Illinois was after him for a long time, then Wisconsin swooped in a couple weeks ago and he was said to be a Badger lean, despite the fact Bo Ryan never watched him play, and then he committed to Michigan seemingly out of nowhere this afternoon.

It would be helpful to have some Texas player pull an "Archambault" to piss Coffee off and take them out of the running.

Hahaha, love that part. Also loved reading that line in the article. Let's hope Amir visits the players several times after his Texas visit and before he makes his decision. This is the best I've felt about our chances.

Top Bottom