All Things 2016 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Anyone wanna provide the ESPN Insider description of him? http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...player/evaluation/_/id/199879/jordy-tshimanga

Also, is he originally from Canada or some other country? Some of his tweets appear to be in French.

Strengths:
A true center and wide bodied big man, Tshimanga is an absolute load in the paint. Not only is he immovable in the post but he also has terrific hands and very good natural touch. He isn't a bad athlete for his size, has an instinctive understanding of how to use his wide lower body to clear out space inside, and will already seal and dunk in traffic. He sets massive screens on the perimeter and is a good pick and roll option because of his ability to come up with tough catches on the move. He can step out and shoot the ball to 12-15 feet and is an even more difficult match-up problem because he's left handed. He's a solid positional shot-blocker and rebounder but a constant space eater and physical deterrent for opposing dribble drivers.

Weaknesses:
Conditioning can be a factor at times as can his ability to keep up with the pace of a fast game. He needs to find a balance between improving his conditioning so that he's better able to change ends and defend pick and rolls but not necessarily shrink himself too much since his wide body is such a big part of his value and identity as a player. Right now, he's more of a seal and score guy inside but as time goes on he'll need to establish a go-to move with his back to the basket and also improve his ability to turn his left shoulder.

Bottom Line:
Tshimanga is a classic wide-bodied big man who changes the game on both ends of the floor. He creates space, catches everything that comes his way, and has a terrific touch anywhere inside of 12-15 feet.

He is originally from Montreal, this is why tweets appear in French

Looks like the big man is enjoying his visit:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

As I explained in a post that was deleted during the server crash, I think signing a freshman big man would be an odd decision when you take into account the fact that he would be filling a point guard's scholarship and the pressure that Pitino is likely feeling to have probably his best season yet with the Gophers next year. I would think if we are only taking one newcomer on for 2016-17, it would be a guard, but since we've brought him in for a visit, I'd think it's safe to assume the staff would take his commitment if he gave it, which lends me to believe someone else is leaving the team. Others noted Charles Buggs' absence from the team's photo with Tony Dungy today, and Pitino's quote in his blog saying that a 23-ish year old red shirt senior needs to "learn to love the game," makes me think it's possible that Buggs just decides he doesn't wanna play basketball anymore, and maybe starts taking grad classes at the U. I thought there was a thread after the season saying he got his degree, but wants to stay at the U, and that would be one way to do that. I don't know if you can just give up playing sports for non-injury-related reasons and remain on a scholarship of any sort though.

I think Buggs grad transfers (gut instinct based on him not being in the team photo with Dungy below). Then ideally we bring in both Springs and Jordy. Springs is done after next year and we still have two scholarships for 2017. If we need three scholarships in 2017 then Pitino can tell Diedhiou he won't play behind Lynch, Konate, Jordy, and one or two bigs in the 2017 class.

As I explained in a post that was deleted during the server crash, I think signing a freshman big man would be an odd decision when you take into account the fact that he would be filling a point guard's scholarship and the pressure that Pitino is likely feeling to have probably his best season yet with the Gophers next year. I would think if we are only taking one newcomer on for 2016-17, it would be a guard, but since we've brought him in for a visit, I'd think it's safe to assume the staff would take his commitment if he gave it, which lends me to believe someone else is leaving the team. Others noted Charles Buggs' absence from the team's photo with Tony Dungy today, and Pitino's quote in his blog saying that a 23-ish year old red shirt senior needs to "learn to love the game," makes me think it's possible that Buggs just decides he doesn't wanna play basketball anymore, and maybe starts taking grad classes at the U. I thought there was a thread after the season saying he got his degree, but wants to stay at the U, and that would be one way to do that. I don't know if you can just give up playing sports for non-injury-related reasons and remain on a scholarship of any sort though.

If there is a scholarship available, I don't think you turn down a top 100 type guy no matter what position he plays. We've been getting creamed on the boards for two years now, and adding a true wide body would help. That having been said, the likelihood of another departure seems pretty high right now. Doubtful Charles could stay on scholarship and not play, though.

A few thoughts on the current recruiting situation

I feel like you can look at the Jordy Tshimigana from a few different angles. The first is that we initially were going to bring in Jonathan Nwankwo this year and we didn't replace his scholarship with another C. The second is that Pitino's current situation makes it difficult to recruit Theo John and Nate Reuvers. Being local kids they are keenly aware of Pitino's tenuous job security and Theo has recently (or will soon) visit Oklahoma coming off a Final Four year and Nate could very well get that (rumored) coveted Notre Dame offer this Spring/Summer. If you just put yourself in their shoes and you could go to a program that was just in the Final Four/Elite Eight or sign in November with a coach who could theoretically be gone before you arrive on campus and you see where the Gophers could stand. Hopefully, Pitino is able to land one or both of these players but he won't be able to show an improved product on the court (and thus his job security) before they make commitments. We absolutely need someone capable of playing C in the 2016 or 2017 class given that both are C's will be Juniors this year. Finally, there is the real possibility that Tshimigana is a real player who just happened to blossom late. This article (http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basket...uiting-wildcats-offer-center-jordy-tshimigana) talks about his Arizona offer, multiple other offers, and his skill set. I think it's fair to be skeptical if Jordy actual could commit to Arizona now, but I think there's also reasons to believe he's a pretty serious prospect at center.

I think the Akeem Springs possibility as a grad transfer is interesting from the perspective that it could mean that the coaches are fine with going with Dupree McBrayer as the backup PG or that more than one more player is going to leave the program. I thought McBrayer really created for others well at times last year and he might actually be a better option at PG behind Mason than anyone we could find at this date. Obviously, an injury to either McBrayer or Mason would be devastating in that scenario.

I think the Akeem Springs possibility as a grad transfer is interesting from the perspective that it could mean that the coaches are fine with going with Dupree McBrayer as the backup PG or that more than one more player is going to leave the program. I thought McBrayer really created for others well at times last year and he might actually be a better option at PG behind Mason than anyone we could find at this date. Obviously, an injury to either McBrayer or Mason would be devastating in that scenario.

It seems that Pitino is comfortable with Sharp getting minutes as a backup PG along with McBrayer getting minutes there and doesn't feel the need to add another one. It will be interesting to see if he brings in a PG for a visit this spring.

It seems that Pitino is comfortable with Sharp getting minutes as a backup PG along with McBrayer getting minutes there and doesn't feel the need to add another one. It will be interesting to see if he brings in a PG for a visit this spring.

His style has been to operate with more combo type guards than with the traditional pure point guard. I think he is trying to get as much talent as he can get regardless of position and going from there.

Springs talked about his visit on periscope.

-Said he really liked the coaching staff. He said the biggest thing is that they were thorough and they pretty much answered all of his questions without him having to ask.

-He said he really liked talking to Shaun Brown.

-He ate at Fogo and said it was amazing.

- He spoke how he could really feel the optomism about next season from some of the people he talked to.

-No timetable for a decision. He was going to go back to Milwaukee and go over his notes and also talk to family. Seemed like he would give the new coaching staff at Milwaukee a chance but I got the impression it will probably be us or Ole Miss unless some other school jumps in. No more visits plans as of now.

Interesting Q&A session on Springs' twitter page via Periscope, answering Minnesota fan questions. No commitment today -- wants to take it all in. Enjoyed his visit but also enjoyed Ole Miss. Fogo seems to be the Gopher go-to place, good choice. Seems like a cool kid. @SpringsAkeem

DeathClutch beat me to it.

Wow, seems really hopeful for both Springs and Jordy. There's little question in my mind that we'll have at least one more transfer out, creating space on the roster.

Springs talked about his visit on periscope.

-Said he really liked the coaching staff. He said the biggest thing is that they were thorough and they pretty much answered all of his questions without him having to ask.

-He said he really liked talking to Shaun Brown.

-He ate at Fogo and said it was amazing.

- He spoke how he could really feel the optomism about next season from some of the people he talked to.

-No timetable for a decision. He was going to go back to Milwaukee and go over his notes and also talk to family. Seemed like he would give the new coaching staff at Milwaukee a chance but I got the impression it will probably be us or Ole Miss unless some other school jumps in. No more visits plans as of now.

I thought that there were a lot of interesting insights about recruiting and the attitude of the staff and players:

-Springs said that there is a ton of optimism among the players that the program is ready to break through and have a good year.
-There was not an attitude of fear toward the recruit among current players that Springs might steal their playing time.
-All of the players and staff were involved
-Like other recruits Springs came away with the feeling that the coaches are straight shooters- open about the program

I thought that there were a lot of interesting insights about recruiting and the attitude of the staff and players:

-Springs said that there is a ton of optimism among the players that the program is ready to break through and have a good year.
-There was not an attitude of fear toward the recruit among current players that Springs might steal their playing time.
-All of the players and staff were involved
-Like other recruits Springs came away with the feeling that the coaches are straight shooters- open about the program

One of my favorite characteristics about Pitino. He just says what's on his mind. No need to try and "read between the lines" as there is no second line. Straight forward, here's the deal type guy.

Wow, seems really hopeful for both Springs and Jordy. There's little question in my mind that we'll have at least one more transfer out, creating space on the roster.

We can use them both. Springs probably more immediate, but both would be solid additions to the roster.

Springs said he really like the fans asking questions and showing him love! Keep tweeting at him! He loves it!

Springs said he really like the fans asking questions and showing him love! Keep tweeting at him! He loves it!

No no no, a certain GHer won't approve of this at all. This constitutes a recruiting violation, and therefore any recruit we get by such means he will elect not to recognize as being on the roster.

I know this isn't related to recruiting, but I'm pretty impressed with Akeem Springs. I hope we get him. (sorry about the double posting tweets. not sure what happened there)

per Amelia:

When Jordy Tshimanga stepped off the plane on his official visit to Minnesota last weekend, he didn’t know what to expect.

What he found on his recruiting trip with the Gophers pleasantly surprised him, according to the 2016 big man’s high school coach, Jacque Rivera.

“I think people are often scared away when they hear ‘Minnesota,’” said Rivera, the head coach at the MacDuffie school in Massachusetts, chuckling that Tshimanga might have believed the area was completely rural. “I think when he got off it was like ‘OK wow, I can really do this.’ It was a sense of shock. He really enjoyed his time.”

Tshimanga, who is also being heavily recruited by Nebraska, Arizona and Oregon, is a 6-11, 240-pound physical force in the paint and on the boards -- where he averaged 19 rebounds a game according to Rivera – two areas in which the Gophers were sorely lacking last year.

“There is no one like him in the country.” Rivera said. “I think at this juncture of their careers, most guys want to be a face-up four-man, they want to step out to the three-point line, they want to show they can dribble. Jordy has really embraced often being the biggest guy on the court. …He wants to do his work inside. He does most of his damage around the basket.

http://www.startribune.com/recruit-...n-minnesota-high-school-coach-says/375549341/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Updated Rivals 2016 Team Recruiting Rankings:

27. MINNESOTA

Commits: SG Amir Coffey (No. 53), PF Eric Curry (No. 140), SG Michael Hurt (NR)

Overview: Richard Pitino has locked down the state's best player in Coffey and he has big upside as he returns from injury. Curry is an athletic and versatile four man while Hurt is a tough defender.

https://basketballrecruiting.n.rivals.com/news/2016-rivals-basketball-team-rankings

Go Gophers!!

A guy we were after a little while back.

per Amelia:

Shortly after reopening his recruitment this spring, Akeem narrowed his choices to Ole Miss -- where he visited earlier this month -- and Minnesota, whose campus he toured just over a week ago. That visit put the cap on what his father dubbed an impressive recruitment.

“Akeem was telling me ‘Man, I feel really good about my team, I feel good about the guys, I feel good about the coaches and playing in the Big Ten and all those things,’” said Dwayne, who also mentioned he has some family in the Minneapolis area. “We were weighing the pros and cons for about 24 hours and it just came down to how do we pass up the opportunity to play in the Big Ten? How do we pass up the chance to play against the teams you thought should have recruited you out of high school? All of those things were huge …to play on a huge stage, that’s what won out.”

Dwayne also said he and his son were told Akeem would have the chance to compete for a starting spot, a major factor in his commitment.

“He wouldn’t go anywhere just to be a role player, to be a complimentary guy,” Dwayne said. “But to come in and be a big part of it –definitely a team-oriented thing, but for him to be a big part of the team.”

http://www.startribune.com/transfer...109761/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Go Gophers!!

The official release from the U:

University of Minnesota head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Tuesday the addition of guard Akeem Springs, who will transfer from Milwaukee for the upcoming season.

Springs, a native of Waukegan, Ill., will earn his bachelor’s degree at Milwaukee and be eligible to play immediately for the Gophers as a graduate transfer.

“We are extremely excited about the addition of Akeem Springs,” Pitino said. “He provides depth and versatility to our back court. Akeem will also add great leadership to our locker room.”

Springs spent two seasons at Milwaukee, where he averaged double-figure scoring for the Panthers. This past season, he scored 13.2 points and 5.3 rebounds in 31.9 minutes per game on 49 percent field goal shooting, adding 54 assists (1.7 apg) and 27 steals per game.

Springs ranked 11th in the Horizon League in scoring and 17th in rebounding, in a year where he posted 21 double-figure scoring games and started 32 games. Among the highlights was a 33-point effort on January 7 in a win over Youngstown State, where Springs was 14-of-18 from the field including 4-of-6 from 3-point range.

In his first season with the Panthers, Springs averaged 10.3 points, 4.9 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game and was the second-leading rebounder and third-leading scorer on the team. He spent one season at Northern Illinois in 2012-13 after a high school career where he was selected to the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association 3A/4A All-State Third Team his senior season.

Springs, who will have one year of eligibility with the Gophers, will join freshman newcomers Amir Coffey (Hopkins, Minn./Hopkins HS), Michael Hurt (Rochester, Minn./John Marshall HS) and Eric Curry (Little Rock, Ark./Southwest Christian Academy) along with transfers Reggie Lynch (Edina, Minn./Edina HS/Illinois State) and Davonte Fitzgerald (Atlanta, Ga./Tucker HS/Texas A&M) on the court next fall.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041916aab.html

Go Gophers!!

The official release from the U:

University of Minnesota head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Tuesday the addition of guard Akeem Springs, who will transfer from Milwaukee for the upcoming season.

Springs, a native of Waukegan, Ill., will earn his bachelor’s degree at Milwaukee and be eligible to play immediately for the Gophers as a graduate transfer.

“We are extremely excited about the addition of Akeem Springs,” Pitino said. “He provides depth and versatility to our back court. Akeem will also add great leadership to our locker room.”

Springs spent two seasons at Milwaukee, where he averaged double-figure scoring for the Panthers. This past season, he scored 13.2 points and 5.3 rebounds in 31.9 minutes per game on 49 percent field goal shooting, adding 54 assists (1.7 apg) and 27 steals per game.

Springs ranked 11th in the Horizon League in scoring and 17th in rebounding, in a year where he posted 21 double-figure scoring games and started 32 games. Among the highlights was a 33-point effort on January 7 in a win over Youngstown State, where Springs was 14-of-18 from the field including 4-of-6 from 3-point range.

In his first season with the Panthers, Springs averaged 10.3 points, 4.9 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game and was the second-leading rebounder and third-leading scorer on the team. He spent one season at Northern Illinois in 2012-13 after a high school career where he was selected to the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association 3A/4A All-State Third Team his senior season.

Springs, who will have one year of eligibility with the Gophers, will join freshman newcomers Amir Coffey (Hopkins, Minn./Hopkins HS), Michael Hurt (Rochester, Minn./John Marshall HS) and Eric Curry (Little Rock, Ark./Southwest Christian Academy) along with transfers Reggie Lynch (Edina, Minn./Edina HS/Illinois State) and Davonte Fitzgerald (Atlanta, Ga./Tucker HS/Texas A&M) on the court next fall.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041916aab.html

Go Gophers!!

6 new faces will be huge next year. Much added depth particularly on the interior. The competition alone in practice will make a huge difference. I really am excited to watch Davonte Fitzgerald and Murphy on the floor together.

It seems this team could be a lot better defensively also. Because they were pretty bad last year.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom