All Things 2016 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Yep a line up we could see in 2016 (not starting): Coffey(Fr. 6'7"), McBrayer(So. 6'4"), Fitzgerald(Sr. 6'8"), Diedhiou(Jr. 6'9")(or Curry Fr. 6'8"), Konate(Jr. 6'11")

Murphy instead of Diedhiou is more attractive to me, he's allegedly 6'7" and is being projected more as a big than as a wing.

Your point stands, we are long, and athletic, all over.

Murphy instead of Diedhiou is more attractive to me, he's allegedly 6'7" and is being projected more as a big than as a wing.

Your point stands, we are long, and athletic, all over.

Yeah I would have a different starting line-up as well and murphy and Mason would be in that. I'd see starting as Mason, Coffey, Fitz(McBrayer if Fitz can't play the 3), Murphy(unless Fitz can't play the 3), Konate/Lynch (whoever wins)

Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN 16m16 minutes ago

2016 6'10 Big Man Reed Nikko from Maple Grove (Mn) is down to Iowa, Missouri (Visit Oct 3), & Kansas State (Visit Oct 10)

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Third Konate brother to play D1 ball. 2 others played at the D2 level as well. They have another brother, Mohammed Konate, who plays high school ball with Sagaba. I believe he is a SG.

Sounds like he can dribble, shoot and slash, so I don't know why you think he is more of a big...?

That was my point. But from I've read he is closer to a 3 at this point.

He's 6'6-6'7 and about 230lbs. He is bigger than Rodney Williams, who played the 4 for us. Jordan also has a wingspan of 7'1 according to his AAU coach. Jordan is more of a 4 than Buggs is that's for sure. Buggs is soft, Murphy is not. Eric Bossi, rivals recruiting expert, said he is a PF in the same mold of Troy Williams and Brandon Dawson. A little undersized but very athletic.

I would expect there to be some attrition before the 2016-17 season. With the (alleged) talent coming in next season, would expect a couple of the new guys this year not to be long for Minnesota, for one reason or another.

That was my point. But from I've read he is closer to a 3 at this point.

So we are debating whether he is more of a four or more of the three. God we need to season to start.

Based on what we've seen of Pitino system so far, which I will admit is not a whole lot and been very limited based on players, I think Murphy looks more like a four then us three because he is a little weaker ballhandling wise then Pitino would like bringing the ball up. Also Pitino has often said he is going to push Joey king who plays the four position for us.

That all said I'm basing this off of two highlight videos a couple glimpses in these golfer meet the new player videos and a couple articles with statistics the guy could be Mugsy Boques for all I know

edit:
Oh and Pitino just got done saying he was a 4 too. To your point, he sees him morphing into a 3 (hopefully because bigger, equally as athletic 4s come into the program).

Oh and Pitino just got done saying he was a 4 too. To your point, he sees him morphing into a 3 (hopefully because bigger, equally as athletic 4s come into the program).

Quote?

I don't care if he is a three or a four, just hoping him and Fitz take over the 3/4 next season.

Doesn't Pitino like versatility so they can switch on the fly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote?

I don't care if he is a three or a four, just hoping him and Fitz take over the 3/4 next season.

I basically agree with you, but feel Fitzgerald plays small. In other words, a 2/3 rather than a 3/4. I can certainly see Coffey at the 3, and Fitzgerald at the 2 in 2016/2017. Coffey reminds me of Scottie Pippen as far as his game goes. Very good passer.

Quote?

Pitino said:
"He's got phenomenal potential," he said. "He'll be a guy who will play the power forward spot, maybe down the road morph into a three. Joey will play a little bit less at that position, but he needs to a little bit. (Murphy's) a very, very good athlete, long arms. I don't know what he's listed weight-wise, but he's a big kid."

Story Link

I basically agree with you, but feel Fitzgerald plays small. In other words, a 2/3 rather than a 3/4. I can certainly see Coffey at the 3, and Fitzgerald at the 2 in 2016/2017. Coffey reminds me of Scottie Pippen as far as his game goes. Very good passer.

Fitz played the 3/4 for Texas A&M not the 2(Listed as F on stat sheets). I'm not sure how you project Coffey at the 3 and then Fitz at the 2 when Coffey can play the 1 and Fitz isn't even close to do that.

Fitz would be a 3 with Coffey at the 2. I'm excited to see the following lineup:

PG: Mason/Dorsey
SG: Coffey/McBrayer/Hurt
SF: Fitz/Gilbert/Hurt
PF: Murphy/Curry/Bakary
C: Gaston/Lynch

I think this a very good assembly of talent. My biggest worry going forward is how to keep them all happy with PT. I think Buggs will have to go.

Fitz would be a 3 with Coffey at the 2. I'm excited to see the following lineup:

PG: Mason/Dorsey
SG: Coffey/McBrayer/Hurt
SF: Fitz/Gilbert/Hurt
PF: Murphy/Curry/Bakary
C: Gaston/Lynch

I think this a very good assembly of talent. My biggest worry going forward is how to keep them all happy with PT. I think Buggs will have to go.

Did you accidentally mixup Bakary and Gaston, or are you predicting Bakary will become a PF and Gaston will ascend to our starting center?

Did you accidentally mixup Bakary and Gaston, or are you predicting Bakary will become a PF and Gaston will ascend to our starting center?

Whoops! I get those two confused all the time!

The day we have a talented player leave for more playing time and actually get it/deserve at a mid major or better will be the first of my memory. I would welcome that problem.

We are usually the one picking up mid major starters, not giving.

You said "or better" than mid major--we have tons of recent players who fit that description: White, Cobbs, Iverson, Joseph, and Carter. It's sad that they combine for far more All-Conference years than Gopher players do over the last who knows how many years.

The day we have a talented player leave for more playing time and actually get it/deserve at a mid major or better will be the first of my memory. I would welcome that problem.

We are usually the one picking up mid major starters, not giving.

You said "or better" than mid major--we have tons of recent players who fit that description: White, Cobbs, Iverson, Joseph, and Carter. It's sad that they combine for far more All-Conference years than Gopher players do over the last who knows how many years.

That's a good starting five.

I was thinking of guys leaving because they got beat out by better guys. Might apply to Iverson as I think he was upset about Sampson or EE can't remember his reasons.

I was thinking of guys leaving because they got beat out by better guys. Might apply to over son as I think he was upset about Sampson or EE can't remember his reasons.

Chip Armelin would be a recent example. He played 35 min a game last year for Southern Miss and averaged 15.8 pts and 4.1 boards: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/53012/chip-armelin

Cobbs left in part because he was behind Devoe and Al at the point.

The only mid major guys to transfer up to the "U" that I can remember are Joey King and Brent Lawson (who was a walk on for part/all of his Gopher career). Julian Welch, Vincent Grier, and DeAndre Mathieu all were at mid majors before going the JUCO route and ending up at Minnesota.

Ah, okay. I figured I must be missing something because I know you haven't suddenly forgotten about those players I mentioned.

I was thinking of guys leaving because they got beat out by better guys. Might apply to Iverson as I think he was upset about Sampson or EE can't remember his reasons.

Top Bottom