All Things 2016 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Please no Steffon Mitchell. He isn't a B1G basketball player. Our focus needs to be on Amir.

We've been on Ponds for a long time, glad to see we have a visit scheduled with him. It's very interesting to me how many guys we have offered/signed that are left handed and have a somewhat awkward looking offensive game (obviously being a lefty accentuates that).

+1 sometimes I feel the same way about Michael Hurt, but others who no more than me speak highly of him

He was ranked 59th on ESPN at one point and is still a 4 star. Would in theory be a top 100 if the top 100 were out for juniors.

got to like the way Ponds throws up a 35 footer with his team up by 42 points! Substitutes anyone?

I was going to say this looked like a younger faster Dre Hollins... Then i went back and watched this HS video of Andre again. It's so sad how injuries seemed to take that athleticism away from Hollins. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fds26owY29w

Anyway Ponds looks like he could be a really good player. If we have any transfers I hope we get him as well as Coffey.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gophers were his first high major offer.

Gophers were his first high major offer.

Time to swoop in and grab him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcus on new 6-6 Gophers QB commit:

Go Gophers!!

From Marcus

@GophersNow

Ponds on Minnesota's assistant coach: "I’ve known Kimani Young for my whole life basically."

Four-star PG Ponds on the #Gophers' style of play: "They got an up and down game. Their game is up and down. They let their guards play."

Really excited with Shamorie! I think we have a very nice shot at him and he's a heady player. Breaks up passing lanes, makes awesome passes, and clearly can score. Makes the Amir situation a lot easier to take.

Really excited with Shamorie! I think we have a very nice shot at him and he's a heady player. Breaks up passing lanes, makes awesome passes, and clearly can score. Makes the Amir situation a lot easier to take.

Did something new happen on the Amir front recently? I saw he got an offer from Florida about a week ago, so I guess we'll see where that goes, but I've gotten the feeling that his recruitment has died down because of his injury, and that Iowa State is our only real competition for him. I guess it's only based on a feeling, but I think that short of our class filling up before he commits, he's ours.

Did something new happen on the Amir front recently? I saw he got an offer from Florida about a week ago, so I guess we'll see where that goes, but I've gotten the feeling that his recruitment has died down because of his injury, and that Iowa State is our only real competition for him. I guess it's only based on a feeling, but I think that short of our class filling up before he commits, he's ours.

I noticed that Jarvis was talking to Amir briefly at the EYBL event yesterday, I hope Jarvis was telling Amir how it would be great for Amir to join him at MN.

It doesn't look like Amir wants to go to the U. I would be ok with Ponds, but we must get a 4star big man to come here for 2016! We can't compete with guards and small forwards. We will get eaten alive in the paint and with rebounding. Does anyone know of a 4 or 5 that the gophers are recruiting for 2016?

Since when do we not gave a shot at amir. We nay not get him but as dar as I can tell its us and Iowa state maybe Marquette

Since when do we not gave a shot at amir. We nay not get him but as dar as I can tell its us and Iowa state maybe Marquette

The interest Amir has with Iowa state is Fred as I'm sure we all figured, with that being said, According to someone I know who is VERY CLOSE to the Iowa State program, ISU fully expects Fred to receive and accept a head coaching offer from the Chicago Bulls in the coming weeks that they have already compiled a list of possible replacement. This ultimately will take them out of the running for Amir and many other recruits. Does this mean he comes to Minnesota? No, but are chances with him are much better than most think.

The interest Amir has with Iowa state is Fred as I'm sure we all figured, with that being said, According to someone I know who is VERY CLOSE to the Iowa State program, ISU fully expects Fred to receive and accept a head coaching offer from the Chicago Bulls in the coming weeks that they have already compiled a list of possible replacement. This ultimately will take them out of the running for Amir and many other recruits. Does this mean he comes to Minnesota? No, but are chances with him are much better than most think.

Will Reid Travis follow Fred to Chicago?

;)

Is Richard Pitino on that candidate list??

per Marcus: Gophers recruiting: Four-star PG Shamorie Ponds plans to visit Minnesota’s campus

“I’ve known (assistant coach) Kimani Young for my whole life basically,” Ponds said. “They got an up and down game. Their game is up and down. They let their guards play.”

A year ago, four-star prospect Kevin Dorsey came to the Twin Cities to play with Team Takeover. He became the first player to make a commitment in the 2015 class. The Gophers also landed Nate Mason in 2014. Mason, now a talented sophomore, played for CP3.

Ponds, who is being recruited the hardest by Minnesota, St. John’s, Temple and Xavier, is a combination of both Dorsey and Mason. He also helped the Lightning defeat Meanstreets with nine points and seven assists Saturday night.

“I could score off the ball. I don’t need to have the ball in my hands to score,” he said. “I get my teammates involved, rebound, defend and steals. The team really follows me and my intensity, so I try to bring it on both ends.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...morie-ponds-plans-to-visit-minnesotas-campus/

Go Gophers!!

From what I've read, Gentry is going to be the Bulls' first target, not Hoiberg.

Top Bottom