All Things 2016 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Jackson is a nice prospect, but his recruitment hasn't grown as much as I expected it to. UW offered him when he was in Madison for team camp this past June. UW, Penn St. and now Minnesota are his biggest offers to date. He's a proto-typical wing with good size and very good athleticism, but he is still working on developing his ball-handling and shooting. I believe Ohio St. has shown some interest, but no offer yet, and I think I read that the 2016 class in Ohio is very, very strong, so Willie might not be as much of a priority for Matta as he might be in other years.

Michael Hurt not even in the top 5 is kinda hilarious.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I'm skeptical because we are his best offer as a 3 star. If Hurt and Coffey accept we are out of tenders. Why would we "offer" Willie Jackson? He could be sleeper but...? If Hurt's brother is twice as good as Michael then I'm guessing Hurt is a priority in part for that reason? So, I doubt we want to poison that family relationship. Coffey is clearly our best interested recruit and we are not going to close him out. Gophers show "interest" in Willie Jackson I'd readily believe.
I would think any 2016 we actually offer has to be a coveted 4 or 5 star?

I'm skeptical because we are his best offer as a 3 star. If Hurt and Coffey accept we are out of tenders. Why would we "offer" Willie Jackson? He could be sleeper but...? If Hurt's brother is twice as good as Michael then I'm guessing Hurt is a priority in part for that reason? So, I doubt we want to poison that family relationship. Coffey is clearly our best interested recruit and we are not going to close him out. Gophers show "interest" in Willie Jackson I'd readily believe.
I would think any 2016 we actually offer has to be a coveted 4 or 5 star?

I suppose you could say that we are still his best offer, but according to 247 he has offers from Wisconson, Iowa, Penn State and Illinois.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Willie-Jackson-32858/RecruitInterests

Go Gophers!!

Nice of Amir to reach out:

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Wouldn't that be a special 2016 class... Amir Coffey & Quentin Goodin in the same backcourt... time to do work work Coach!!!

Go Gophers!!

Very nice! Glad to see that Amir is reaching out to other recruits; has to be a good sign.

For those keeping track, here's who we've offered according to 247.

PG
Quentin Goodin - 4*, 6'2, KY

SG
Rawle Alkins - 4*, 6'5, NY
Amir Coffey - 4*, 6'7, MN
Bruce Brown - 4*, 6'3, VT
Frankie Hughes - NR, 6'3, OH

SF
Michael Hurt - 4*, 6'6, MN
Willie Jackson, 3*, 6'6, OH

PF
Mamadou Diarra - NR, 6'8, CT

Looks like we're targeting wings/off-guards heavily so far in this class. A mix of midwest and east coast guys. Does anyone know anything about any of these guys?

For those keeping track, here's who we've offered according to 247.

PG
Quentin Goodin - 4*, 6'2, KY

SG
Rawle Alkins - 4*, 6'5, NY
Amir Coffey - 4*, 6'7, MN
Bruce Brown - 4*, 6'3, VT
Frankie Hughes - NR, 6'3, OH

SF
Michael Hurt - 4*, 6'6, MN
Willie Jackson, 3*, 6'6, OH

PF
Mamadou Diarra - NR, 6'8, CT

Looks like we're targeting wings/off-guards heavily so far in this class. A mix of midwest and east coast guys. Does anyone know anything about any of these guys?

Must be expecting Gaston to be with the team ;)

We will have three scholarships now with Gas on board or 4 without him if it goes that way. Will we somehow have a fourth opening? We have offered 8 guys according to the list. Be nice if Amir would grab the first one. I think we could add higher rated players if that happened?

We will have three scholarships now with Gas on board or 4 without him if it goes that way. Will we somehow have a fourth opening? We have offered 8 guys according to the list. Be nice if Amir would grab the first one. I think we could add higher rated players if that happened?

Landing Coffey would be incredible. I think Hurt is almost equally important though. Not only is he an excellent ballplayer who is only getting better, but he has a younger brother who will likely be a top recruit.

Coach Young was at the Shakopee/Hopkins game last night. He spoke with Shakopee's Steffon Mitchell after the game. Mitchell looked great in the first half. He was apparently sick and missed the first 5 minutes of second half. Still ended up with 20 for the night. It would have been nice to see Coffey and Mitchell match up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Speed, quickness and ball handling.

I understand, but we are pretty set at the PG position for the next 4 years. Not to mention Dupree looks to be a good ball handler as well. It's good that Richard is keeping his options open, as we've seen this year and in years past, you never know what can happen.

I understand, but we are pretty set at the PG position for the next 4 years. Not to mention Dupree looks to be a good ball handler as well. It's good that Richard is keeping his options open, as we've seen this year and in years past, you never know what can happen.

I get what you're saying. We are stocking up at the guard spots and leaving the cabinet pretty dry at PF and C. I would like to see a big transfer in, but as of now, I'd love to get a commitment from KJ, who's an excellent player.

Guards are going to always carry your team further into the playoffs

Amir Coffey and Quentin Goodin have had Twitter interactions about Minnesota in the past if I recall correctly

Top Bottom