All Things 2016 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Good post until you decided to end it with "just sayin". I hope people stop ending with that statement because it takes away from everything they stated before it. And it makes them sound like a 13 year old girl.
+1. If you want to say it, say it. But the "just sayin" thing is kind of like saying I want to say something really strong, but I don't want anybody to think I'm a jerk. If you want to say something strong, say it. If you are afraid somebody won't like it, using "just sayin" makes it sound wimpy, and that is the most polite term I can use.

per Zags:

The New York Lightning finished a disappointing 1-4 in pool play at Peach Jam, but numerous coaches watched the team’s stable of young players, including 2016 Brooklyn (N.Y.) Thomas Jefferson guard Shamorie Ponds.

Ponds said St. John’s, Seton Hall, Temple, Xavier and DePaul were recruiting him the hardest, and all those schools watched him here.

“I don’t have a final list yet, I’m equal all my schools,” he told SNY.tv. “I show a lot of interest in all of them.”

St. John’s has made Ponds one of their priorities in the Class of 2016.

“Coach [Chris] Mullin, he’s a helluva coach, Hall of Famer and he’s going to bring NBA players there and that’s where I want to go,” Ponds said.”

Seton Hall also repeatedly watched Ponds, with head coach Kevin Willard and assistants Shaheen Holloway and Fred Hill in the mix.

“[Assistant coach] Tiny Morton coached against me in high school, so we have a connection,” Ponds said.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/recrui...e-tyus-battle-shamorie-ponds-dimencio-vaughn/

Go Gophers!!

per Zags:

The New York Lightning finished a disappointing 1-4 in pool play at Peach Jam, but numerous coaches watched the team’s stable of young players, including 2016 Brooklyn (N.Y.) Thomas Jefferson guard Shamorie Ponds.

Ponds said St. John’s, Seton Hall, Temple, Xavier and DePaul were recruiting him the hardest, and all those schools watched him here.

“I don’t have a final list yet, I’m equal all my schools,” he told SNY.tv. “I show a lot of interest in all of them.”

“Coach [Chris] Mullin, he’s a helluva coach, Hall of Famer and he’s going to bring NBA players there and that’s where I want to go,” Ponds said.”

Seton Hall also repeatedly watched Ponds, with head coach Kevin Willard and assistants Shaheen Holloway and Fred Hill in the mix.

“[Assistant coach] Tiny Morton coached against me in high school, so we have a connection,” Ponds said.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/recrui...e-tyus-battle-shamorie-ponds-dimencio-vaughn/

Go Gophers!!
Interesting, maybe we are cooling on him a bit?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

per Zags:

Go Gophers!!

Interesting response about mullin. He has no coaching experience (am I wrong here?). So how does a recruit comment on his coaching chops as he did? The other coaches in on this kid need to set him straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to agree. The kids who have made the NBA their top priority aren't coming here. If Pitino starts putting guys in the NBA, then we might start getting consideration from top 25-50 recruits.

This program just can't compete with the likes of Duke, Kansas....heck, even Ohio State and Michigan State, at this point. What do we sell them on?

Pitino to recruits:"It's freezing cold here during the season, we have no recent draft picks, no facilities, no sweet sixteens in a quarter century, I'm only 30 years old, have yet to prove I can develop talent, and I'll likely be gone before your senior season.......but trust me, you really want to come play here."

Coach K to recruits: "We have dozens of players in the NBA at this very second, world class facilities, we have to rent a storage locker for our excess banners, I can give you LeBron James' cell number, and Saudi Arabia doesn't have enough cash to pry me away from Duke, let alone Ala-freaking-bama.....Come to think of it, I don't really need you, because there is a line down the block. Commit now or your offer is gone."

Just sayin....

So should we pack it in. Save some money and terminate the program? Who are you? What, if any relationship, do you have to the University of Minnesota? Are you in reality a Badger or a Hawkeye? Do you really think there is no hope? Well I respectfully disagree. There are a number of Minnesota players who have made it to the NBA. We play on a big stage, and if you have the talent and show it, you can make it here as well as anywhere. I think coach Pitino can grow into a very successful coach. I think we will soon have state of the art facilities. I think that Minnesota is a quality school academically, and I think the Twin Cities offer a quality of life matched by few. So why do you choose to emphasize the negative?

So should we pack it in. Save some money and terminate the program? Who are you? What, if any relationship, do you have to the University of Minnesota? Are you in reality a Badger or a Hawkeye? Do you really think there is no hope? Well I respectfully disagree. There are a number of Minnesota players who have made it to the NBA. We play on a big stage, and if you have the talent and show it, you can make it here as well as anywhere. I think coach Pitino can grow into a very successful coach. I think we will soon have state of the art facilities. I think that Minnesota is a quality school academically, and I think the Twin Cities offer a quality of life matched by few. So why do you choose to emphasize the negative?

Because, sadly, this is what we do.

Go Gophers!!

Don't know if anyone ever listens to the 105 radio show on Saturday mornings but toward the end at 1:32 on the podcast they talk about some 2016 and 17 recruits and in the beginning at about 14:30 they talk about Dorsey, Dupree, and Murphy a little bit. Here's the link http://www.105theticket.com/one-and-done/

Ryan James was on KFAN Friday and talked quite a bit about recruiting. The Gophers have had a presence at almost all of Shamorie Ponds games and I got the impression from the interview that he's the Gophers top target overall. I also got the impression that Eric Curry is the Gophers priority at the "4" with them also watching Marfo and Nikko. As for Amir Coffey, Ryan says that Amir will take all his visits in the fall and that Minnesota and Marquette will get visits along with possibly Michigan and Florida. Ryan also talked briefly about the rumors of Michigan coming on strong in Coffey's recruitment. Ryan said he expects the Gophers to sign 3 in the Fall, but to recruit like they have 4 scholarships available.

I'd also like to second Gopherfan's recommendation of the One and Done podcast. Ryan James and "Hardwood Rob" are both really good on that show. The last show had interviews with both Trevor Mbakwe and Blake Hoffarber and there's always some Gopher recruiting talk. Trevor said that they called him "das Beast" in Germany last year which has to be one of the coolest nicknames in recent memory.

This years team has one player over 6'9" and Bakary Konate is an underweight 6'11" center. Seems to me that, either we're going to have to find a couple of Steph Currys to score big from the perimeter or this team is going to really struggle to score inside, defend the rim and rebound.

This years team has one player over 6'9" and Bakary Konate is an underweight 6'11" center. Seems to me that, either we're going to have to find a couple of Steph Currys to score big from the perimeter or this team is going to really struggle to score inside, defend the rim and rebound.

Defend the rim and rebound was a weakness with big guys last year. I'll take athletic over size everyday. Time will tell what we have in this team. We know nothing right now.

Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN Jul 25
Sagaba Konate has offers from West Virginia and Pitt amongst others. Strength wise he's college ready. Seals hard

_______

Konate is originally from the nation of Mali in Africa. He is one of fourteen siblings, and is set to be the third brother to go onto play division one college basketball. His older brother, Bakary Konate, is currently a 6'11" freshman at the University of Minnesota. Sagaba Konate's journey from a different continent somehow ended up in Hermitage, PA in Mercer County and he attends Kennedy Catholic High School.

Sagaba Konate has helped lead Kennedy Catholic to a 19-4 record and a playoff berth. The 6'8" forward is averaging 19 points, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocks per game for the Golden Eagles. The numbers are good, the size is there, the family pedigree seems legit. The main concern is the lack of offers and notoriety. There is not a lot of film to go off of about this kid, but check out this dunk....He can obviously get off the floor

________

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/video-h...e-throws-down-through-the-legs-dunk-with-ease

At 6-foot-8 and 220 pounds, Konate is already a physical specimen. He’s likely to gain both an inch or two and some more solid weight by the time he arrives on a college campus, all of which would make him even more dominant on the blocks.

As for where that will all take place, your guess is as good as anyone’s. If nothing else, Pitt putting a full court press on Konate early, apparently before others have found him, can only help the odds that Konate eventually becomes a Panther.

I'll definitely take a long athletic center over immobile guys who can't rebound, won't block out and are slow footed.

Go Gophers!!

Two-sport athlete Tyler Johnson is still deciding on which sport he'll play in college. While his high major offers are on the football side now, the hoops staff is still keeping an eye on him. Our Q&A with him:

Q&A: Tyler Johnson Hearing Regularly from In-State Recruits in Addition to Gophers Coaches

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/540071?referrer_id=

Frankie Hughes scheduled an official with the Gophers today for September 25 (I believe Ryan James was first with the news). That visit might be at least somewhat related to Gopher target Jagan Mosely committing to Georgetown today. Hughes has offers from Wisconsin, Florida State, and Penn State in addition to a number of mid majors.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/puWIRSf-PzM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frankie Hughes scheduled an official with the Gophers today for September 25 (I believe Ryan James was first with the news). That visit might be at least somewhat related to Gopher target Jagan Mosely committing to Georgetown today. Hughes has offers from Wisconsin, Florida State, and Penn State in addition to a number of mid majors.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/puWIRSf-PzM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Impressive looking kid. Big time athlete- that's for sure.

So this kid is still a little raw and gophers are recruiting him according to 247...but from one of his aau coaches...his parents want him to be more developed than giannis before nba (he's likely to go prep route) so their thinking blue bloods,,,but man this kid looks like the real deal
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vWPCyRNf6oQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/O5j7JoMjtfY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've heard Marquette will be the landing spot for Kostas. Their family is extremely tight.

Top Bottom