All Things 2016 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Villanova has been trotting out 4 guards and one F/C for years at a high rate of success. Of the eight players that have played every game for them this year, 5 are guards, 2 are forwards - listed at 6'6" and 6'7" and one F/C at 6'11". I have no problem if Pitino wants to stockpile guards.

Like them or not, Duke has also had a lot of success over the years with more than one point guard on the floor...including this season.

Villanova has been trotting out 4 guards and one F/C for years at a high rate of success. Of the eight players that have played every game for them this year, 5 are guards, 2 are forwards - listed at 6'6" and 6'7" and one F/C at 6'11". I have no problem if Pitino wants to stockpile guards.

They run a 4 out offense though, we do not. I love Jay's offense, and it is what I coached when I coached, albeit with a hi-lo twist.

The sprint out pick n roll that he's trying to implement is not done well with guards setting screens for guards. We should have a very mobile, but still rebound and defensive minded center with a long range shooting 4 that can also move. Guards need to be defensive minded with attacking personalities, cannot be afraid to pull the trigger on a jumper at any moment and extremely well conditioned.

Keep rolling guards in here because what I just described takes a lot of heart and determination. While you cannot teach those characteristics, they generally show up in high competition scenarios, which I think Pitino is generating via a log jam of guards.

Amir Coffey and Quentin Goodin have had Twitter interactions about Minnesota in the past if I recall correctly

They've spent plenty of time together (USA Basketball).

I understand, but we are pretty set at the PG position for the next 4 years. Not to mention Dupree looks to be a good ball handler as well. It's good that Richard is keeping his options open, as we've seen this year and in years past, you never know what can happen.

You've never set at anything for the next 4 years, but re: Goodin, he's a combo guard. Very capable of playing off the ball in college. I think he'll be a good 6'4" (listed) in college.

Nonetheless... Goodin to Minnesota would be impressive. Wouldn't bank on that one, but good that Minnesota continues to try and stay involved.

Nikko seems to panic in the post. Hopkins did a good job of double teaming at times and other times delaying the double. He made several good dishes out of the double team to cutters for baskets but I didn't see one attempted post move from Nikko.

Seemed to lack some aggressiveness and offensive assertiveness but this is the first time I've seen him with my own to eyes.

Davison - a sophomore point from Maple Grove was very impressive. 27 pts, high b-ball IQ, great passing, dribbling, and a great competitor. He's someone to keep an eye on.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Three small forwards from Minnesota may all be in top 100 nationally before long. Coffey, Hurt, and Mitchell from Shako. Would love to get them ALL, and if I'm not mistaken they're all leftys!

Papa P is trying to make recruiting a bit more difficult for us.

Go Gophers!!

St. John’s, Minnesota Recruiting 2016 Guard Shamorie Ponds Hard
http://zagsblog.com/articles/st-johns-minnesota-recruiting-2016-guard-shamorie-ponds-hard/

With St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin, as well as representatives from Minnesota, Seton Hall, Cincinnati, Providence and Hofstra in attendance, Ponds said his mindset didn’t change at all coming into the contest, but he knows he’s capable of much better games.

Pollard, who didn’t know Lavin was in attendance, said St. John’s and Minnesota, who have both offered Ponds, “are going after him really hard” with Oklahoma also offering the guard last week.

Pollard said Ponds does not have a list of preferred schools at this point, that he’s simply in the “analyzing” stage of his recruitment. “He doesn’t know where he might want to go,” he said, “or whether he wants to stay home or go somewhere.”

Love the name Shamorie Ponds. But for some reason, I also think it would be a great name for a retirement community.

Can I ask, does Pitino have a fetish for lefty's?

McBrayer
Coffee
Ponds
Wasn't Piper a Lefty as well?

I love when a hometown kid is the first to commit to a recruiting class.

Top Bottom