Official 2014 Spring Football Thread: Articles, Tweets, Analysis & More...

It's tough to temper enthusiasm when you see some of those clips from KSTP.
Leidner has got a really nice zip and spiral on his ball, I don't remember that last year.
Thomas at FB made a nice catch and turn, makes me think Henry might not be the huge loss I feared.
Guys look bigger to me all around.
Edwards has a nice jitterbug to himself on that middle screen clip. Wozniak runs really well for his size.
Nice to see Bobek in the green jersey in the background.

I'm encouraged by two potential offensive developments:
A speed threat from the running game in Edwards, Streveler and possibly Jones. We have lacked a home run threat from the running game for a long time.

A modest jump in passing efficiency and/or a threat in the passing game is going to make a big difference with this offense, just because there's such a nice ground game.
I felt Engel going down neutered the passing attack more than the tough D/bad QB play. Jones/Wolitarsky/Williams should take a step forward and if Leidner does as well we should have better balance and more opportunities for big plays off PA.

had Michael Conway always been a WR, or was he also a QB before who has switched?

Conway was a QB. Bob Loblaw called it when he said that Conway would make a good WR with his size and speed.

STrib blog:

Other quick first-day observations

* Mike Sherels, the soon-to-be-named linebackers coach, could be heard praising newcomer Cody Poock after the junior college transfer shed a block to get to running back Donnell Kirkwood in one drill. Poock lined up with the second-team defense behind Nick Rallis at strong-side linebacker.

* David Cobb looked completely refreshed, and the other running backs – Kirkwood, Rodrick Williams and Berkley Edwards – all had good burst after recovering from leg injuries.

Edwards showed off his quick moves and explosive speed on several eye-opening plays. He was used exclusively at tailback, but I think the Gophers will line him up in the slot, too, to get him on the field with Cobb.

“Berkley Edwards -- all I can tell you is he’ll move around, he’ll be playing,” Gophers coach Jerry Kill said. “He’ll be doing a lot of things. He’s lightning in a bottle. So we’ve got some flexibility, and I don’t want to give away what we’re going to do. But our job is to get the right people the football. We’ve got to do a better job of that.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/248563671.html

Go Gophers!!

http://kstp.com/sports/stories/S3349143.shtml?cat=7 Mix of interviews from KSTP. Streveler's throwing motion caught my eye.

Yeah I don't know if it's different than it was before the injury though. I know he had an unorthodox throwing motion coming out of h.s. Kind of has that Jeff George motion if you want to compare him to someone good, otherwise Taylor Martinez if it kind of makes you cringe.

Nice to see the balance in class.

Sr - 24
Jr - 30
So - 22
RFr - 23
Fr - 25

I'm guessing you're counting walk-ons in those numbers. Looking at scholarships, the Junior class is much bigger than the others. I would hope we take some jucos or award walk-ons in the next 2 classes to balance out the smaller FR and SO classes.

Man, I haven't been this pumped since the morning of the bowl game! Thank goodness for Spring football!!! I know you can't tell a ton about the team from these practices, but is there doubt in anyone's mind that this program is headed in the right direction?

Not sure where to post this, but last year the team ran a camp for kids up to around grade 6, and one of the perks was an on field pass for the spring game.

I have looked at the coach Kill camp site, but don't see that on the docket. Has anyone heard if this camp is/was being offered?

Not sure where to post this, but last year the team ran a camp for kids up to around grade 6, and one of the perks was an on field pass for the spring game.

I have looked at the coach Kill camp site, but don't see that on the docket. Has anyone heard if this camp is/was being offered?

I heard that it is going to be on cross county skiing this year.

GopherSports: Spring Central: Replacing Ra'Shede

GS: You have mentioned Botticelli a few times now. He is a senior who has played a lot of games, but never really seems to get the attention he deserves.

JP: That is really who Botticelli is. You look at his background and being a walk-on player who had to earn his scholarship. He kept fighting and crawling to do everything that he had to do to be successful both on the field and in the classroom. I think he just wants to come to work with his hard hat on and his lunch pail and get the job done. He also wants to help his teammates out. He is a player who will teach a younger guy his job, and teach him everything he knows, knowing that that guy could take his spot. But then his hard work and attitude will step in and he will continue to do what he is doing to make sure he stays in that starting position. That is where you feel confident with guys like Peppers, Timms, Legania and when we get Steven Richardson and Gary Moore here they will be able to gravitate toward him and learn from him. It depends if Andrew Stelter is inside as well, but he will be around Botticelli and Botticelli will be able to teach those guys the Minnesota way. You have to work hard all the time and you have to play with your pads and not with your mouth. A guy like that brings a lot of value to the table.

GS: Let's talk about your defensive ends. Guys like Amaefula and Cockran have been here for a few years now. What do they use the spring for?

JP: They are working to get better at their skill set. They know the defense. It is what they have been doing the last three years they have been here. It is now year four and they feel good about it. Now they have to work on fine-tuning everything. For example, the pass rush. As a group, defense and as a team we have to get better at it. We need to get pressure with the four down lineman. I think we relied on blitzing a little bit too much last year. The year before we did not have to rely on the blitz as much and we have to get back to that. You have Amaefula and Cockran being the older guys in that mix and they have played a lot of downs for us. You add in Hank and Alex Keith as well. Hank is developing into a great pass rusher who has speed and strength, so it will be interesting to see how they do. You continue to go down the line. Ben Perry has played a lot of football and the one thing you know about Ben is that he is going to be where he needs to be. He can help those younger guys out. Then you have Robert Ndondo-Lay. He had to sit out last year because of NCAA transfer rules, but he was able to practice and learn what we do. He is now hungry for that opportunity to step out there. Don't be surprised if you see him out there.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030514aac.html

Go Gophers!!

robert ndondo lay? never heard of him

robert ndondo lay? never heard of him

From DeLaSalle, played two years at Winona, redshirted during his transfer year last year. I heard that he really grew (physically) during his transfer year and is now about 255-260 at 6'5". Might be a good situational pass-rusher if nothing else.

FSN: Cobb leads talented Gophers rushing corps at outset of spring drills

The achievements on his resume mean a lot less anxiety as the Gophers get spring workouts rolling this week, he said. But, Cobb added, "you can't come out there and get complacent; everybody has to push each other and bring the best out of everyone."

Kirkwood -- who appeared in 11 games but finished with 120 yards rushing last year, a season after gaining 926 -- will want his No. 1 gig back. Williams has two more years to prove he can be more than a spot-duty power back. Redshirt freshman Berkeley Edwards should figure heavily into the mix next season, coach Jerry Kill said, and incoming five-star recruit Jeff Jones is the kind of talent that could garner immediate playing time.

"I think David's gonna do a good job, but we're good at running back," Kill said. "We've got some flexibility. . . . I think that our job is to get the right people the football, and we've got to do a better job of that, and we've got a good plan."

http://msn.foxsports.com/north/stor...shing-corps-at-outset-of-spring-drills-030614

Go Gophers!!

Read thar coach Poore and Anderson have switched roles with the team. Anderson was a WR and has coached them before. Poore now RB coach.

Since when is Jeff Jones a 5-star recruit?

for Minnesota he is a 5 star, anywhere else is a high 4 star but to be honest if you are in the top 100 then you are a 5 star in my book. It doesn't make sense that in basketball you have 20 5 stars but in football only about 15 even though there are 22 positions in football while only 5 in basketball.

GopherSports: Spring Central: Replacing Ra'Shede

GS: You have mentioned Botticelli a few times now. He is a senior who has played a lot of games, but never really seems to get the attention he deserves.

JP: That is really who Botticelli is. You look at his background and being a walk-on player who had to earn his scholarship. He kept fighting and crawling to do everything that he had to do to be successful both on the field and in the classroom. I think he just wants to come to work with his hard hat on and his lunch pail and get the job done. He also wants to help his teammates out. He is a player who will teach a younger guy his job, and teach him everything he knows, knowing that that guy could take his spot. But then his hard work and attitude will step in and he will continue to do what he is doing to make sure he stays in that starting position. That is where you feel confident with guys like Peppers, Timms, Legania and when we get Steven Richardson and Gary Moore here they will be able to gravitate toward him and learn from him. It depends if Andrew Stelter is inside as well, but he will be around Botticelli and Botticelli will be able to teach those guys the Minnesota way. You have to work hard all the time and you have to play with your pads and not with your mouth. A guy like that brings a lot of value to the table.

GS: Let's talk about your defensive ends. Guys like Amaefula and Cockran have been here for a few years now. What do they use the spring for?

JP: They are working to get better at their skill set. They know the defense. It is what they have been doing the last three years they have been here. It is now year four and they feel good about it. Now they have to work on fine-tuning everything. For example, the pass rush. As a group, defense and as a team we have to get better at it. We need to get pressure with the four down lineman. I think we relied on blitzing a little bit too much last year. The year before we did not have to rely on the blitz as much and we have to get back to that. You have Amaefula and Cockran being the older guys in that mix and they have played a lot of downs for us. You add in Hank and Alex Keith as well. Hank is developing into a great pass rusher who has speed and strength, so it will be interesting to see how they do. You continue to go down the line. Ben Perry has played a lot of football and the one thing you know about Ben is that he is going to be where he needs to be. He can help those younger guys out. Then you have Robert Ndondo-Lay. He had to sit out last year because of NCAA transfer rules, but he was able to practice and learn what we do. He is now hungry for that opportunity to step out there. Don't be surprised if you see him out there.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030514aac.html

Go Gophers!!
Ben Perry, i forgot about him. I would have to see him start over Amaefula with him being 6-5 opposite of 6-6 TC while Amaefula is only 6-2. He wasn't even on the 2 deeps last year.

per the STrib:

End comes for two

Dexter Foreman, a former backup quarterback who moved to wide receiver last fall, had hip surgery and probably won’t return to the Gophers.

He’ll keep his scholarship, but the team can get a medical waiver to award an additional scholarship to another player.

Another scholarship came available for the Gophers when wide receiver Cameron Wilson graduated and took a job.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/248932351.html

Go Gophers!!

Nice to see the balance in class.

Sr - 24
Jr - 30
So - 22
RFr - 23
Fr - 25

I'm guessing you're counting walk-ons in those numbers. Looking at scholarships, the Junior class is much bigger than the others. I would hope we take some jucos or award walk-ons in the next 2 classes to balance out the smaller FR and SO classes.

Since walk-ons are such a big part of the program, and some play quite a lot, I would count them.

I'm curious about the JUCO comment. At what position?

I would hope that we take some JUCO players for DB. We are sitting well this year but we lose a lot of DBs in the next two years and don't have enough players to replace them.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kill was asked what his team needed do to improve on D this year. And his first response was "get better on offense." Totally agree <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/441936709853257728">March 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

This gives you a good idea of scholarships per class.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/pages/football-scholarship-grid

According to this we would be three over the maximum 85 scholarships this fall. Since Cameron Wilson
is graduating early and Dexter Foreman hopefully will be on medical scholarship we will be at 86 scholarships this fall. That means that one recruit will need to grey-shirt or one more of the present scholarship players for this fall need to come off the roster. Two down and one to go.

Are any 'Holers doing Goldy's Run before the spring game? This is spring football related, right?

Top Bottom