Hole Poll: Who was the Gophers MVP of the Iowa game?

• Austin Hollins: 25 points, 8/10 from field, 7/7 from FT line

Votes: 63 69.2%
  • Dre Mathieu: 19 points, 7 assists, only 1 turnover

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • Charles Buggs: 13 points and 3 rebounds off the bench

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Other (please list)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

I voted Buggs because when he came in the game he turned the whole game around. We were down about 10 and after 8 quick points from him we were back in the game. That said, Austin Hollins was excellent tonight. Good game Gophers!!!!!! Beat Penn State and win their first round BTT game and they are in the dance.

Charles Buggs was a feel good story. Austin Hollins was perfect tonight. MVP goes to him in my opinion.

I voted for Austin Hollins, but Charles Buggs was the biggest surprise. If he can continue to play well, it could make a big difference.

I am always a dark cloud of negativity when it comes to Austin Hollins. Never again. Best game of his career in the biggest game of the season. Well done sir.

Mathieu was huge. 19 points AND 7 assists. This offense runs through him every game. Live and die by the little guy.

Mathieu was huge. 19 points AND 7 assists. This offense runs through him every game. Live and die by the little guy.

AND one turnover. Hands down, it's Mathieu, IMHO. Those other guys do not have the impact they have without Mathieu pushing and running. Amazing game.

Nice debate to have.........

Mathieu is the Most Valuable Player of this season; Austin was the Most Valuable Player of this game; and Buggs was the Most Valuable Development to unfold within this game. Buggs represents a higher level of performance down the road, whether it is ever achieved or not.

I honestly can't choose, and I think various posters have laid out excellent arguments for all three players.

Buggs: He was the guy that turned things around in the first half and his success really excited the student section which was very engaged all game. Without Buggs energy, much less his scoring, I don't know if the Gophers get going.

Austin: He was great all game on both ends of the floor and scored a career high.

Mathieu: He drives the car and was very good with the ball tonight. His iso drive late and corresponding two made free throws after the foul (finally!) was probably the biggest offensive play of the game given the lead had just slipped to two points.

Mathieu is the Most Valuable Player of this season; Austin was the Most Valuable Player of this game; and Buggs was the Most Valuable Development to unfold within this game. Buggs represents a higher level of performance down the road, whether it is ever achieved or not.

+1

MVP = Austin

Energizer = Buggs.

Gophers were down 10 (I think?) when Buggs started doing his thing. That's when the crowd became fully engaged, and started believing.

MVP = Austin

Energizer = Buggs.

Gophers were down 10 (I think?) when Buggs started doing his thing. That's when the crowd became fully engaged, and started believing.

So Buggs was the Energizer (Buggs) Bunny? I apologize...couldn't resist.

I went with Mathieu. Without the 7 assists Buggs or Hollins don't get the points. It was a tough pick, however, because Hollins has some intangibles that really make him an MVP. Hollins took on the task of guarding Marble and really took Marble out of rhythm in the 2nd half. Without that defensive effort we might not be talking about a win.

Ultimately, this was a great team win. There were so many contributors that to pick one person is a shame. I wish there was a button for team as MVP.

On a side-note: Dtrain19...great catch with the Energizer Buggs Bunny!

Another player that was pretty big for us, though not a MVP candidate, was Dre. He hit some huge shots to really helped us keep our lead in the 2nd half.

Importance Of Mo Walker IN Last Nights Victory

Th thread on mvp of the game is interesting as no one chose Mo.

I will choose him for one reason - he made 4 consecutive FT's. Without those makes, it might have been a very, very different result.

Great job at the line, Mo.

I'm with BarnBurner...once Mo made those first two free throws, after being semi-intentionally left open to foul, it got the mojo (so to speak) going at the line.

Austin. No question. In all reality....we needed them all to play well to win that game.

Again, this is a fun debate to be able to have, but do any of you think that this type of game could have been won with Dre at the point, backed up by Mav?

I award the MVP of the game to all GopherHolers. As I followed the game thread, the support was there. And of course, Sid gets a vote too.

Top Bottom