Futbol coming to the Bank in August! - Tix Now Available for U Season Ticket Holders

I picked up 18 tickets. I'll be there with my son and a majority of the Eden Prairie varsity soccer team. Should be a fun time.

No tailgating?!?!?!

For anyone who is interested, I contacted the Athletic Department about tailgating for this event since I couldn’t find anything on the website. They referred me to Parking and Transportation Services. I will spare you the details of my excruciating conversation with PTS, but after holding for several minutes I was transferred to someone who advised me that, while the lots will open 7 hours before game time (i.e. 7:00am) there will be NO TAILGATING ALLOWED. When I asked why they would open the lots so early if there was no tailgating, I was told that they hadn’t yet received a list of related events going on that day. This doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, but that’s what I was told so I thought I’d pass it along.

For anyone who is interested, I contacted the Athletic Department about tailgating for this event since I couldn’t find anything on the website. They referred me to Parking and Transportation Services. I will spare you the details of my excruciating conversation with PTS, but after holding for several minutes I was transferred to someone who advised me that, while the lots will open 7 hours before game time (i.e. 7:00am) there will be NO TAILGATING ALLOWED. When I asked why they would open the lots so early if there was no tailgating, I was told that they hadn’t yet received a list of related events going on that day. This doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, but that’s what I was told so I thought I’d pass it along.

Dear lord. I have heard that they have really struggled to sell tickets, after the initial rush when they first went on sale.

I'm still hoping they offer the extras to students for $10 bucks or so. Fingers crossed.

This is very dissapointing. I wonder how they define "tailgating". Maybe I leave the grill at home and bring a cooler with some snacks and beverages that we leave in the car while we hang out waiting for the stadium to open.

Just a joke if they don't allow at least the option to sit and have a few beers in the lots

Just a friendly FYI that this soccer event is not being put on by the U of M or U of M Athletic Department in any way. I am pretty sure it is being underwritten by an outside vendor/promotions company and is not something the U of M conjured up or developed. Now don't get me wrong, I think some of the turds who run Parking Transportation Services at the U are pretty lame as well with some of the b.s. they pull at times and the way they seemingly cower the wants of the State Fair rubes in August/early September when we really should in fact be hosting home openers on Saturdays and not Thursdays.

So not making excuses for PTS. But just wanted to add some additional context that the U of M and the U of M Athletic Department technically have nothing to do with putting on this soccer match on August 2nd. They are simply renting out the stadium to be used that day like a facility available for rent anywhere else would for an event.

Commence bitching about PTS and tailgating. ;)

P.S. Honestly, even if you don't end up getting a "straight answer" to your liking I would bet if people brought along tailgating stuff, alcoholic beverages, etc. and just started tailgating that nobody with the U is going to give you a hard time about it anyways. Just do it either way.

They usually play the first squad for at least a half, but this year they might not bring them at all as it is so soon after the world cup.

Typically you won't get the A squads doing the international circuit this close to the World Cup. They'll want their stars to rest up for the start of the EPL season, not burn them out on exhibition games right after they've played for a month in Brazil. It should still be a very high level of soccer that Minnesota doesn't regularly get to see, however.

I would also recommend that if you are going to the main event, that you stay and watch Minnesota United take on Ottawa. They won the spring season and are 2-0-0 in the fall season. They beat (an albeit depleted) Swansea City 2-0 in a friendly last Saturday, and probably would appreciate the support.

With the growing popularity of soccer, I wonder how long it will be before the U adds men's soccer.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

With the growing popularity of soccer, I wonder how long it will be before the U adds men's soccer.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

I wish, but Title IX virtually ensures that won't happen, and the U's athletics department isn't exactly swimming in cash to fund a new sport (see Practice Facility, Basketball).

I wish, but Title IX virtually ensures that won't happen, and the U's athletics department isn't exactly swimming in cash to fund a new sport (see Practice Facility, Basketball).
They absolutely are swimming in new cash, they just like to spend it all. Revenues for 2013 were up to $98,286,669, up from $83,619,526 in 2012 and $50,017,755 in 2005.

what's with the name calling, alot of kids play soccer in this state, we have the biggest youth soccer facility in the country out in Blaine. Probably be a sellout

Good point on the Blaine facility. Soccer has been America's "sport of the future" since 1978.

Good point on the Blaine facility. Soccer has been America's "sport of the future" since 1978.

Nice! Don't forget that your kids will be exclusively using the metric system 100 yard football fields will be a thing of the past!

Behan: "Have you seen how everyone dresses? Awful tony for a mining camp. No, sir, the die is cast. We are growing. Be as big as San Francisco in a few years and just as sophisticated."
Doc Holliday: "Very cosmopolitan."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>First sod roll arrives! Let's play soccer. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/gophers?src=hash">#gophers</a> <a href="http://t.co/QwOlQ5zJ7T">pic.twitter.com/QwOlQ5zJ7T</a></p>— TCF Bank Stadium (@TCFBankStadium) <a href="https://twitter.com/TCFBankStadium/statuses/493782229051396097">July 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nice! Don't forget that your kids will be exclusively using the metric system 100 yard football fields will be a thing of the past!
We really should be using the metric system, imperial is a pretty bad system.

They absolutely are swimming in new cash, they just like to spend it all. Revenues for 2013 were up to $98,286,669, up from $83,619,526 in 2012 and $50,017,755 in 2005.

Buyouts. Buyouts everywhere.

Business Journal: Ticket sales top 30,000 for TCF Bank Stadium soccer match

This Saturday's international soccer match at TCF Bank Stadium has already sold 30,000 tickets, according to the Minnesota Vikings, who are hosting and promoting the event with the University of Minnesota, Minnesota United FC and Relevant Sports.

Vikings spokesman Jeff Anderson said he expects the team to sell another 3,000 to 4,000 tickets before gametime. That would put the Vikings on par with cities like Pittsburgh ( 34,000 attendance) and Chicago ( 36,000 attendance), which have hosted games in the same series.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twinciti...30&u=l2OE8cv4SYvc4p5FChL5bg4owEd&t=1406751904

Go Gophers!!

So that means there are 20,000 to give to a poor U of M student. Please please.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Goals up and lines painted for <a href="https://twitter.com/IntChampionsCup">@IntChampionsCup</a> <a href="http://t.co/sKKW3yyPsg">pic.twitter.com/sKKW3yyPsg</a></p>— TCF Bank Stadium (@TCFBankStadium) <a href="https://twitter.com/TCFBankStadium/statuses/495211397790597120">August 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I went to the games yesterday. The Minnesota United fans did a "Who Hates Ottawa, We Hate Ottawa" chant. I don't know if that was to be funny because they were at TCF or if that is a chant they normally do, but I laughed.

I went to the games yesterday. The Minnesota United fans did a "Who Hates Ottawa, We Hate Ottawa" chant. I don't know if that was to be funny because they were at TCF or if that is a chant they normally do, but I laughed.

The Dark Clouds (a name left over from the Thunder days) are a very creative group when it comes to cheers. There are more than a few U alumni in the group, so my guess is that they used playing at TCF to create the cheer.

Top Bottom