All Things Gopher Baseball Season 2014

Goldy Gopher

Reaction score
Gophers open up a week from today in Glendale, AZ against Northern Illinois. The team will have to do a lot more travelling this season especially early on in the season due to the loss of the Metrodome. The marquee series for the Gophers this season is a 3 game set starting May 2nd at Florida State. The Gophers have a number of starters returning and should have a pretty solid team this year.
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-basebl/sched/minn-m-basebl-sched.html

Also some conference news that the B1G conference tournament will expand to include 8 teams starting this season.
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/020714aaa.html

Does anyone know where I can get tickets for the games in Glendale? I just found out they are coming down here and would like to go see them.

Does anyone know where I can get tickets for the games in Glendale? I just found out they are coming down here and would like to go see them.
Not sure where you can get them but you could either ask @GopherBaseball on twitter or email someone in the athletic department as they would probably have an answer. Justine Buerkle is the contact for Gopher baseball communications and she should probably know and is on twitter too @JMBuerkle

PiPress: Gophers prepared for a baseball season played entirely outdoors

Gophers pitcher Ben Meyer of New Brighton told the team earlier this preseason that he wants what his dad, Bob, has: a Big Ten ring.

"He said ... 'We haven't held up our end of the bargain here,' " Anderson recalled. "The kids talk about it. It's important to them. I think there has been a different level of focus and preparation and determination that these guys want to have a better year."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/c...ared-baseball-season-played-entirely-outdoors

Go Gophers!!

Big Ten looks good enough to be a 3-bid league this season. Look for Indiana, Nebraska, and Michigan State to make the NCAA tourney.

Big Ten looks good enough to be a 3-bid league this season. Look for Indiana, Nebraska, and Michigan State to make the NCAA tourney.

I would agree with you, BIG looks to be improving. I am afraid the Gophers are in for a tough season this year. Hope I am wrong.

I would agree with you, BIG looks to be improving. I am afraid the Gophers are in for a tough season this year. Hope I am wrong.
Pitching should be quality but the question remains the same as last year and is can the Gophers score any runs?

Gophers won their opener over NIU in Arizona yesterday 3-2 in 10 innings. Gophers struggled to get going offensively being no hit for 4 innings but the pitching was solid with ace Alec Crawford going 4 innings striking out 8 giving up hits and a run. Dalton Sawyer and Kevin Kray each pitched 3 innings and combined for another 7 strikeouts for the Gophers.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>FINAL: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> 11, NIU 5. Minnesota moves to 3-0.</p>— Minnesota Baseball (@GopherBaseball) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherBaseball/statuses/435185920984092672">February 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Gophers struggle in games 2&3 and lose twice to Creighton to fall to 4-2.

Looks like the Gopher baseball team had an eventful trip down to Louisiana. Their plane was unable to leave on Thursday for Dallas, so they flew to NYC and then to Dallas and still had a 4 hour bus ride to Ruston, LA. They have a doubleheader tomorrow at 2 & 5 pm against Louisiana Tech, and a game on Sunday.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> fall to La. Tech, 3-2, to split the doubleheader. Tomorrow's game has been moved up to 11:30 a.m.</p>— Minnesota Baseball (@GopherBaseball) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherBaseball/statuses/439937731892744192">March 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Gophers finish off the weekend with a 6-1 win over Louisiana Tech. Good weekend from the Gophers 2B and probably top player Connor Schaefbauer with a number of hits and 5 stolen bases on the weekend. Ben Meyer with a good start today going 7 innings and only giving up 1 run on 2 hits.

Gophers fall to 7-5 as they beat Coastal Carolina and lost to Elon and UNC Greensboro over the weekend. Not a lot of offense from the Gophers in the 2 losses this weekend which has been better than expected but still is probably this teams biggest weakness.

Gophers go 4-1 in California taking 2 of 3 from Sacramento State and sweeping 2 from Saint Mary's scoring a combined 27 runs in the 2 games at Saint Mary's. The Gophers are now 11-6 and will open up B1G play at Northwestern but the series will be played in Missouri starting with a doubleheader Saturday.

Gophers open up the conference season by taking 2 out of 3 from Northwestern. Supposed to finally play home games this week with a midweek game and Michigan State in for a series over the weekend.

Weather permitting, plan on seeing the Gophers vs. Michigan State tomorrow at 2:05. Can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday than watching a little Big Ten baseball, then going home and watching a couple regional basketball title games.

Gophers take down the Spartans 4-2 today, and are now (record wise) 3-1 in the big ten. Keep it up Gophers!

Michigan State sweeps the doubleheader on Sunday winning 15-0 and 5-0. Gopher pitching was bad in the first game and I wonder if the days are numbered for Jordan Jess continuing to be a weekend starter after another bad outing and overall the Gophers pitchers really struggled with control in game 1. In the 2nd game Michigan State used the long ball hitting 2 home runs and the Gophers offense really never got going in either game. The 2nd game was called after 8 innings due to travel restrictions for Michigan State. Gophers fall to 14-9 overall and 3-3 in the B1G and are scheduled to host NDSU Tuesday and then travel to Michigan for a weekend series.

Michigan State sweeps the doubleheader on Sunday winning 15-0 and 5-0. Gopher pitching was bad in the first game and I wonder if the days are numbered for Jordan Jess continuing to be a weekend starter after another bad outing and overall the Gophers pitchers really struggled with control in game 1. In the 2nd game Michigan State used the long ball hitting 2 home runs and the Gophers offense really never got going in either game. The 2nd game was called after 8 innings due to travel restrictions for Michigan State. Gophers fall to 14-9 overall and 3-3 in the B1G and are scheduled to host NDSU Tuesday and then travel to Michigan for a weekend series.

That was about as bad of beating that you can get. Shut out in 2 games of DH. OUCH!!!!! Hitting has been an issue for a few years now.

That was about as bad of beating that you can get. Shut out in 2 games of DH. OUCH!!!!! Hitting has been an issue for a few years now.
Definitely but the hitting and offensive output does seem improved at least a little from last year but it really couldn't get much worse than it was last season. Strength of the team is still in a couple of pitchers as Crawford and Meyer have both been pretty good most of the time as the Friday and Sunday starters. Dalton Sawyer has also been solid out of the 'pen but I hope they give him a look as a starter soon as I think he could definitely step in as the Saturday starter.

B1G Teams in the RPI Top 100 through April 1

Still think by the end of the season the B1G will get 2 or 3 teams in the NCAA tournament. It would help if someone other than Indiana wins the Big Ten tourney.

RPI numbers are courtesy of warrennolan.com.

#16. Indiana (15-10, 5-1 B1G)
#49 Ohio State (17-10, 2-4 B1G)
#75 Nebraska (15-13, 1-2 B1G)
#77 Michigan State (13-11, 3-3 B1G)
#83. Illinois (14-11, 2-1 B1G)
#93. Michigan (12-15-1, 3-3 B1G)

Still think by the end of the season the B1G will get 2 or 3 teams in the NCAA tournament. It would help if someone other than Indiana wins the Big Ten tourney.

RPI numbers are courtesy of warrennolan.com.

#16. Indiana (15-10, 5-1 B1G)
#49 Ohio State (17-10, 2-4 B1G)
#75 Nebraska (15-13, 1-2 B1G)
#77 Michigan State (13-11, 3-3 B1G)
#83. Illinois (14-11, 2-1 B1G)
#93. Michigan (12-15-1, 3-3 B1G)

Nebraska is really struggling big time right now. SS, there is a good chance I will be at the Friday and Saturday game when the Huskers play the gophers in a week and a half. If you head to a game that weekend, would enjoy meeting you.

I took off work early to take my daughter to today's game vs. Augsburg. That was one short road trip for Augsburg. Perhaps we should play Augsburg on the road one of these days. It was an exciting game. In the 6th, the third baseman made a fantastic catch to save a run and end the inning. A little chilly for a game, but it will be nicer later on. I was surprised there was no one selling tickets, so we just walked right in. I counted perhaps 115 people in attendance. Pretty empty, but a good game.

Nebraska is really struggling big time right now. SS, there is a good chance I will be at the Friday and Saturday game when the Huskers play the gophers in a week and a half. If you head to a game that weekend, would enjoy meeting you.

Lincoln, I'll be out of town that weekend, but by any chance are you going to the Big Ten tourney in Omaha? Assuming Michigan State makes it, my dad & I plan on going to Omaha for the tournament.

I took off work early to take my daughter to today's game vs. Augsburg. That was one short road trip for Augsburg. Perhaps we should play Augsburg on the road one of these days. It was an exciting game. In the 6th, the third baseman made a fantastic catch to save a run and end the inning. A little chilly for a game, but it will be nicer later on. I was surprised there was no one selling tickets, so we just walked right in. I counted perhaps 115 people in attendance. Pretty empty, but a good game.

Just think how short the road trip would be if the Gophers baseball stadium was on the West Bank.

Top Bottom