doogie, maturi, Brewster

Doogie is a novice at this. Though I appreciate his love for the UofM and willingness to support it, and he did state in another thread that his comments were not intended to be a slam of Brew in any way, he is learning the field himself.

BTW - though his defending himself in these forums can be viewed as not good, at the same time he is interacting with fans far more then some of the MN media does. Take it for what it is worth.

Since Brewster has arrived he has created excitement and the increased popularity of the program.

I don't see that. Attendance dropped when he took over for Mase and dropped again this past season.

Sales at TCF are pretty good, but less than five months away and Jon Q. Public could decide today he wants season tickets and get them easily.

How old are you??? And why do you have higher expectations than most people if you are under the age of 50??? I mean this team hasn't been a seriously contender for decades, maybe you should re-evaluate your expectations???

I think I may have mentioned this to you before, but.......... your a d-bag. Sad you spend so much of your life on here just increasing the negativity in your life. You should find something you enjoy..... make a friend or two. Hope this helps little buddy.

Increasing the negativity? GopherGod has concerns about Brewster as well as do I and plenty of others who follow this team. Having expectations for the coach to deliver what he was hired to do a unreasonable and unrealistic goal? Disparaging towards Brewster or not, I believe that the Gophers can win the Big Ten, if not under Brewster, perhaps somebody else.

Is this really more negative than to say that we can never win the Big Ten again and we should all be a bunch of grinning fools simply content to suffer through some Sisyphean cycle of mind numbing conference collapses and low tier bowl appearances that amount to little more than corporate marketing spewings? And does slanderously attacking people who share concerns for something they care enough to follow and espouse opinions upon really make you the better man, little buddy, ye anointed guardian of positivity?

I don't see that. Attendance dropped when he took over for Mase and dropped again this past season.

Sales at TCF are pretty good, but less than five months away and Jon Q. Public could decide today he wants season tickets and get them easily.

Very true. A 1-11 season did much to stall momentum that our program had already been gaining before Brewster's arrival. Anecdotal or not, the student section, potential future Gopher-fan-for-lifers each, grew steadily throughout the decade before Brewster. When I was member of the student section at the start of the decade it was but a fraction of the size it was when Mason left and Brewster arrived. Further, season tickets didn't exactly sky rocket in his first two seasons. If Brewster had come in and met early success it is quite possible that the stadium would be much more likely to sell out.

I agree with Wolfman, the guy is in his 3rd yr. and has shown improvement. Who cares why he wasn't a head coach or coordinator before. He is here now and is the head coach. He will sink or swim on his own, his past is just that PAST, lets look to the future and see what happens.. You have to give the guy some credit for what he has done so far. I like the fact that he doesn't sit on mistakes he's made ( coaches) he changes and so far has upgraded all of them. Maybe with the exception of Cosgrove, but time will tell.

He sat on that dunbar for 100% of the games he has coached in the Big Ten. He defended his dunbar version of brewsterball right up to that 55-0 loss to iowa. It was obvious that the dunbar version of this brewsterball could NOT win a lot of Big Ten Football games. Time will tell, but, time waits for no coach. Lots of Big Ten wins could provide an extension of time and an extension of contract. Conversely, lots of Big Ten losses could force the issue much sooner.

We all share a true passion for Gophers athletics...it always amazes me to read the amount of venom on here, GI, and Youngblood's blog...the name-calling, etc...it seems to me that its 50 times worse when it comes to Gophers sports compared to any other team in town...civil conversations can be had, I would believe...I hope I am welcomed here at GH.
This is civil. Try having a conversation over at the College Football section of KFAN. Brutal.

Very true. A 1-11 season did much to stall momentum that our program had already been gaining before Brewster's arrival. Anecdotal or not, the student section, potential future Gopher-fan-for-lifers each, grew steadily throughout the decade before Brewster. When I was member of the student section at the start of the decade it was but a fraction of the size it was when Mason left and Brewster arrived. Further, season tickets didn't exactly sky rocket in his first two seasons. If Brewster had come in and met early success it is quite possible that the stadium would be much more likely to sell out.

It didn't help that the momentum had stalled in Mason's last season. Do you remember him mocking the students and fans? That put everything on the edge (especially student section support) and 1-11 tipped the momentum the wrong way. Even including the end of last year I think last season put things back in the right direction. The ending killed the chance to have a true momentum swing, but we're still pointed in the right direction and the stadium is helping minimize the fallout coming off the Iowa debacle.

Overall though, I think your points here are valid (especially the one I bolded). Even following a 1-11 year, if last year had been more successful (think win the WI game and either the Iowa or Mich games weren't such duds) the buzz moving into TCF would be that much bigger. I like Brew overall and appreciate what he's doing, but I'm willing to recognize that we're not as far along as we could be energy/buzz wise with the program as we could be had we not gone 1-11 or had the late season swoon last year.

I would also be curious how he could be an assistant with Mac Brown for 13 years and never get promoted by him or that Mac couldn't help him get a coordinator job elsewhere. Yet Mac brings in a new defensive coordinator this year and after one season pushed for him to be named head coach designate when he retires. Maybe Mac felt Brewster wasn't suited to be a coordinator, that is atleast how it appears by his actions.

That's like saying that because a certain baseball player made it to the big leagues when he was 19 years old, then there must be something wrong with guys that don't make their major league debut until they're 25 or 26 years old. Just like players, coaches develop at different rates.

Maybe Mack felt this other defensive coordinator was futher along at that point. Maybe Brewster wanted to learn from the best coaches for awhile before he pursued a coordinator or head coach job. You have no idea why it happened the way it did.

The reason people get annoyed with your posts is because you've brought this up before. You keep bringing up the same things over and over. You and I don't know what Mack Brown or anyone else is/was thinking. It gets old when you bring up the exact same thing all the time.

And your comment about someone calling you names? Do I need to look up where you made a comment about my wife or me living in Iowa? Don't act like you're always "civilized."

And your comment about someone calling you names? Do I need to look up where you made a comment about my wife or me living in Iowa? Don't act like you're always "civilized."

That doesn't count because he deleted those posts. :rolleyes:

That's like saying that because a certain baseball player made it to the big leagues when he was 19 years old, then there must be something wrong with guys that don't make their major league debut until they're 25 or 26 years old. Just like players, coaches develop at different rates.

Maybe Mack felt this other defensive coordinator was futher along at that point. Maybe Brewster wanted to learn from the best coaches for awhile before he pursued a coordinator or head coach job. You have no idea why it happened the way it did.

The reason people get annoyed with your posts is because you've brought this up before. You keep bringing up the same things over and over. You and I don't know what Mack Brown or anyone else is/was thinking. It gets old when you bring up the exact same thing all the time.

I didn't say I was civil 100% of the time but only 1 post out of 655 posts by myself can you point to and the difference is that I apologized for it immediately after which would put me on higher level of civility than someone who constantly resorts to name calling and has never apologized for it. So you are correct I have only been civil 99.84% of the time. You state

The truth is, if I was repeating over and over again that Brewster was the greatest, coach, recruiter, etc.. you would have no problem with me repeating it over and over again. So the real issue is not that I am bringing up the same point again but that I am bringing up a point different from yours.

I do recognize that people develop at different rates but if history is any indication (17 years as a position coach) maybe he will have this head coach thing figured out and mastered in 30 years or so. It is okay to ask these questions, no harm no foul.

I didn't say I was civil 100% of the time but only 1 post out of 655 posts by myself can you point to and the difference is that I apologized for it immediately after which would put me on higher level of civility than someone who constantly resorts to name calling and has never apologized for it. So you are correct I have only been civil 99.84% of the time. You state

The truth is, if I was repeating over and over again that Brewster was the greatest, coach, recruiter, etc.. you would have no problem with me repeating it over and over again. So the real issue is not that I am bringing up the same point again but that I am bringing up a point different from yours.

I do recognize that people develop at different rates but if history is any indication (17 years as a position coach) maybe he will have this head coach thing figured out and mastered in 30 years or so. It is okay to ask these questions, no harm no foul.

This isn't necessarily in favor nor against Brewster but rather just a point about the complaint that he was never a coordinator. Please remember that being a successful coordinator does not mean he will be a successful head coach (Martz, Greg Robinson, etc).

Brewster served as recruiting coordinator for Mack Brown at UNC & Texas. They completely turned the program around in Texas and they did it by consistently bringing in top 10 recruiting classes. In Texas Brewster was known as one of the best recruiting coordinators in the business.

Now I ask, how many recruiting coordinator's are also offensive or defensive coordinators? The jobs take a different skill set and the time required to be deeply involved in recruiting and setting game plans would be overwhelming for one individual. If you are Mack Brown and you have one of the best RC's in the business why would you move him in to an OC role? That seems like a pretty good reason that he was never promoted to OC. In the NFL that may be a knock on him but in college football you need to recruit--rather than draft your team--so you need somebody to fill the recruiting role.

For anybody that believes a coach is only qualified to be a HC if he was previously a coordinator then they won't believe a former RC that has never been OC/DC can do the job. For others that realize that the HC is not the person in charge of the X's & O's but rather just in charge of managing every portion of the program they will give an RC a chance. I'm not saying that I am sold on Brewster as a coach but that decision will have nothing to do with his ability to be an OC or DC because we hire other people to do those jobs.

At this point he has been a HC for 2 years so the "you hired a TE coach" argument doesn't hold a lot of water. If you're going to complain let it be about his in game coaching decisions against NU, the preparation of his team against Iowa or Michigan, or something he has done at Minnesota rather than what he did or did not do before he got here.

Top Bottom