JoePa touts Big Ten expansion

In the west, we have Kansas and Kansas St -- not likely one will leave without the other getting an invite as well, so let's assume they are out too.

KU and K State couldn't join because the state of Kansas doesn't share a border with a state that's home to a current Big 10 school, so they're out regardless.

KU and K State couldn't join because the state of Kansas doesn't share a border with a state that's home to a current Big 10 school, so they're out regardless.

Exactly. And people need to quit mentioning Missouri. They WILL NOT leave the Big 12. Their rivalry with Kansas is way too strong. Seriously, the only teams in the Big 12 without current big time rivalries that are in the Big Ten region are Iowa State and Nebraska. Nebraska used to have one with Oklahoma but Texas has made it pretty much moot.

That's a sweet map. But, remember, the idea of Big Ten expansion is just that -- EXPANSION. That likely means a geographic expansion, as well. Those MAC teams are okay, but none rise to the level of "name brand" to create a ripple big enough to be considered for expansion.

You're right - Notre Dame is the clear top choice for all kinds of reasons (impact, TV, prestige, geography, etc.), but they don't have an apparent interest in joining right now.

You should replace this with "will never be interested so long as they have their own TV deal and any easy path to the BCS." Because unless those 2 things change there isn't even the tiniest chance that ND joins the B10.

Also a random Q...what would Big 10's name change to? Because we can't be the Big 12 and calling ourselves the Big 10 with 12 teams would probably step over the line (even doing so with 11 teams is a little meh). So what would you want to see the new name be if it had to change?

You should replace this with "will never be interested so long as they have their own TV deal and any easy path to the BCS." Because unless those 2 things change there isn't even the tiniest chance that ND joins the B10.

Also a random Q...what would Big 10's name change to? Because we can't be the Big 12 and calling ourselves the Big 10 with 12 teams would probably step over the line (even doing so with 11 teams is a little meh). So what would you want to see the new name be if it had to change?

Wasn't the original name of the Big Ten "The Western Conference?" We could just go back to that, even if it doesn't really fit any more. At least it keeps with the history of the conference.

University of Ohio

I have always wondered why with the population in Ohio that the University of Ohio is not bigger than it is.
This would make the best sense as it would be a natural rival for OSU and it would be a good fit geographically.
It is too bad we could not at the Bobcats to the Big Ten.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I posted this on the basketball board...

Missouri won't happen due to their rivalry with Kansas. Realistically, the only midwestern programs who might fit the bill are Iowa State, Notre Dame, and Nebraska (because they don't have any natural rivals in the Big 12 that would be broken up). I wouldn't have said Nebraska when the Big 8 was still the Big 8, but the Big 12 has changed the dynamic.

I also could see Syracuse, Rutgers, or Pitt, but both Rutgers and Syracuse do seem a bit east coast. Although, they touch Pennsylvania and isn't that a requirement? To touch a current Big Ten state?

Unfortunately Iowa State doesn't have very good athletic programs, because in my semi-OCD mind, they would be the tidiest answer.

My order of preferences:
1) Notre Dame
2) Pitt
3) Iowa State
4) Nebraska
5) Syracuse
6) Rutgers

Another thing to consider is that we are the western-most team in the Big Ten. It is only natural that we would want to yank a team from the Big 12 because in our minds, that is "closer" the the heart of the Big Ten. But I really don't think Ohio State or Penn State would view it that way.

My order of preferences:
1) Pitt
2) Iowa State
3) Nebraska
4) Missouri

Notre Dame and Syracuse don't fit in at all. Other than sports they would be a fish out of water. More goes into conference affiliation than athletics. These four are large land grant universities similiar to most of the big ten schools. Rutgers is to far east.

I have always wondered why with the population in Ohio that the University of Ohio is not bigger than it is.
This would make the best sense as it would be a natural rival for OSU and it would be a good fit geographically.
It is too bad we could not at the Bobcats to the Big Ten.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I look at the current state of the MAC (=13 teams) and the big ten (=11 teams) and it hurts me that none of those schools really have quite what it takes to make the jump to a BCS conference. That way both conferences could have 12 teams and balanced schedules..... oh well.

NDSU?

I don't see the Big Ten raiding the Big Twelve north for a team, no matter how down it is. I would hate to see us go east to pick up a team, though I think Syracuse would definitely be open to this. Pittsburgh at least doesn't pull us even further east, something I just don't want to see, market considerations notwithstanding. I could see expansion in a decade or so if a school not in a BCS conference were to be of sufficient standing. If one of the MAC schools were to keep getting better they would make a strong case (for a brief while Miami looked like it could have been that team).

Along that vein... what about NDSU? They are certainly on the rise, as much as I hate to admit that. Another solid decade at FCS and they could be making a move to FBS. Will the Big Ten still be looking to gain a school in 2018 or 2020? They would be floating in space with Big Ten the nearest conference and no real FBS teams to the west for a looong boring drive. Geographically it would make a lot of sense. Furthermore if Brewster is still around he will certainly have gone to Pasadena once or twice, (if not sooner later) and be quite comfortable with his newfound cross border conference rivals.

Okay... so they would likely have to spend their time in the WAC before such aspirations, but I just thought Lakebison seriously dropped the ball on this thread to continue his role as self-anointed misplaced spokesperson for the green and gold and folksy prairie-wisdom spewing antagonist on this board.:D

Even if NDSU proved to be a worthy addition academically and competitively, lakesbison has ruined any chance for me to ever support the move.

How about the Big North?

Looking at that map, it seems like Pitt is the most logical choice besides Notre Dame.

Top Bottom