Just how good is Josh Martin?

I was pretty let down. He didn't notch the double-double that I was expecting in his first college game against lottery pick Montrezl Harrell. :)

Bump... interesting to look back at what folks expected from Martin. How and why have your thoughts changed?

Mine are the same.

He played 6 minutes. 6 minutes. There is only a 2% chance we understand how good he is based on 6 minutes.

He played 6 minutes. 6 minutes. There is only a 2% chance we understand how good he is based on 6 minutes.

I was thinking the same thing! How can people say he was a disappointment based off SIX minutes in his first collegiate game?? It baffles me.

Based on the unrealistic expectations that he would beat out Joey King and play major minutes right away. I was surprised that Konate got Athens call before Martin (but I hadn't seen the scrimmage and haven't obviously been observing the team in practice.

Based on the unrealistic expectations that he would beat out Joey King and play major minutes right away. I was surprised that Konate got Athens call before Martin (but I hadn't seen the scrimmage and haven't obviously been observing the team in practice.

The people who had him penciled in from the start hadn't seen a scrimmage or observed him in practice either. That's not how it's done by a couple of our more clueless fans. You first dislike the player we have, and then you start speculating he's going to transfer or that Pitino should immediately get rid of him and replace him with the new guy because you've convinced yourself it's not only an upgrade, but the new guy will make an immediate splash. See Buggs, Oto, and now Joey for examples. If Martin doesn't look better in the next 6 minutes of play good chance someone will want to get rid of him.

Based on the unrealistic expectations that he would beat out Joey King and play major minutes right away.

Whew, glad someone got it.

People in this thread and others praised Martin as an immediate impact starter, ready to tear up D-I basketball opponents from day one.

At this point in time (not based on just one game), the question for those people is whether their thoughts have changed? If not, are they angry with Pitino and think he's got it all wrong by not playing Martin major minutes? Or have you come to agree with what I, along with some others, said long ago?

Martin is fine this year. He's got some time to figure things out. But some of you were talking crazy, yes?

Whew, glad someone got it.

People in this thread and others praised Martin as an immediate impact starter, ready to tear up D-I basketball opponents from day one.

At this point in time (not based on just one game), the question for those people is whether their thoughts have changed? If not, are they angry with Pitino and think he's got it all wrong by not playing Martin major minutes? Or have you come to agree with what I, along with some others, said long ago?

Martin is fine this year. He's got some time to figure things out. But some of you were talking crazy, yes?

You're a very sad person.

Where exactly did people say this? 90% of posts in this thread were saying Martin would be a solid role player and grab some boards as a freshman.

The bigger question is: have you seriously been waiting for 9 months to post in this thread when Martin didn't get a double double in his FIRST GAME as a D-1 player!? Sad. Especially for someone who is so consistently wrong about everything.

Goofy Warrior needs to go to the Marquette board permanently. I have not clue why he is posting here other than the fact that Mbakwe was at Marquette before he came here

Honestly, he looked a like a typical true freshman on the road against a top ten team on national television. Patience.

6 minutes means he has 9 more minutes of fame right? Lol

National stage against a top ten team with possibly the Naismith award winner! You can't base anything on that! Nor will you be able to base his performance against the non-conference schedule except the few decent games we have. We won't know whathe is capable of until at least mid-January at the soonest.

Let's see rather than look at the numbers he put up i look at what 247 ranked him. Compositely he is the 58th best pf, or 52 best for 247. I'd say the gophers are a team somewhere between 25-40 in the nation. Should i expect a player ranked in the 50's at his position to play more than 4 minutes against the number 8 team in the nation in his first college game. um, nope. Look anyone expecting him to unseat King because he is more athletic and can rebound, negates what King does well on offense. I will be patient; I forsee Martin having a couple double doubles this year. I can see something like 6p, 5 reb a game, he isnt ranked a Mcdonalds all american and I wont expect him as one. Do you think the people that rank him havent seen his athletism, so there are other parts of his game that are pretty raw.

Madtown, you know better.

No one gives up on anyone at the GH... They just jump down your throats the minute you miss a layup and then when you win a game later in the year GH'rs procaim he's always been my favorite player.

Look at the Austin Hollins treatment this year.... If I wanted to, I can guarantee you I could find at least a couple posters who said Malik should start for him at one point and then later in the year proclaimed he's always been their favorite Gopher and was the MVP of the season. Opposite for Malik, best player on the team at one point this season, a wasted scholarship at another point. EE was best post in the B1G, now he's a mid major bench player. Mo was too slow and lazy with no post moves in the early portion of the year and now he's the best post in the B1G and possibly conference player of the year next year. And I'm not suggesting that there are differing opinions on the board, I'm suggesting THE EXACT SAME PERSON has said these things about the same player.

So yes, you are right, if anyone does give up on JM, they are an idiot. But I can guarantee you that someone will and it won't be just one person and they will likely proclaim they knew he would be a star from day one after he graduates with B1G 1st team honors.

You're missing the point.

Defending anyone doing what I stated is ludicrous. Claiming Austin should be benched for Malik and then saying he's your favorite Gopher of all time is moronic and is the type of fan I abhor. Trumpeting the highs and lows of EE/Mo et al and operating only in absolutes drive me bonkers.

As far as worrying about it in April? I'm not worried about anything, just made a statement that we're building JM up to exponential levels. The expectations of him starting and contributing anything greater than what Oto brought us this year, I feel are rather lofty. I know he has 4 years, I've said as much in the past that I think he will be looked upon extremely favorably after he is done playing for the Gophs. Its scary reading that we are projecting him to improve x% based on some website stating he grew 3 inches yadayadayada... We Gopher fans, myself included, tend to jump the gun and buy a whole lot of hope, when that hope doesn't pan out, we often over compensate and buy a lot of doom and gloom. When in reality, if we just manage our expectations to a reasonable level, the ride wouldn't be so up and down, just a steady climb up.

Looks like Josh was the first to give up on Josh.

Top Bottom