Just how good is Josh Martin?

Martin would average 8-10 ppg on this team right now just by cleaning up missed shots and getting a couple Mathieu assisted dunks, something Oto and King cannot consistently do. This guy has at least average skills, very good size, and way above average athleticism and intensity.

My assumption is that GW predicts he will have the same effect on the team that Oto has. Based on the meterics he looks at from his EYBL league he appears to have the same impact as Oto when playing against greater compeition.

I cannot stop thinking about, when trying to determine his skill level, the fact that he got dominated by Reid Travis (Who?) while I know Reid is a great player, I would have like to see JM compete a bit more against someone of his ability as Reid is far from a top line B1G PF at this stage of the game. And that essentially, is what JM will have to compete against day in and day out from the jump.

My guess is JM is a stud as a senior and we all trash talk him his freshman year because there is no way he meets the expectations we've already placed on him with the 30+ threads about his HS career.

Let's put it this way: Would Oto be averaging 30 points per game (or whatever it is) on Josh's high school team right now? I would say, highly doubtful.

Let's put it this way: Would Oto be averaging 30 points per game (or whatever it is) on Josh's high school team right now? I would say, highly doubtful.

I agree, but GW is not looking at that and has said as much. He utilizes EYBL stats as an indicator. My assumption is that JMs EYBL stats (which got him his 2 star rating in the first place) have projected him to have similar output to Oto.

My assumption is that GW predicts he will have the same effect on the team that Oto has. Based on the meterics he looks at from his EYBL league he appears to have the same impact as Oto when playing against greater compeition.

I cannot stop thinking about, when trying to determine his skill level, the fact that he got dominated by Reid Travis (Who?) while I know Reid is a great player, I would have like to see JM compete a bit more against someone of his ability as Reid is far from a top line B1G PF at this stage of the game. And that essentially, is what JM will have to compete against day in and day out from the jump.

My guess is JM is a stud as a senior and we all trash talk him his freshman year because there is no way he meets the expectations we've already placed on him with the 30+ threads about his HS career.

Who are the topline PFs in the Big Ten this year? It's not like there are 3 or 4 Mbakwes and Sullingers in the conference. I actually think 'the PF who shall not be named' would be one of the better PFs in the conference.

Martin would average 8-10 ppg on this team right now just by cleaning up missed shots and getting a couple Mathieu assisted dunks, something Oto and King cannot consistently do. This guy has at least average skills, very good size, and way above average athleticism and intensity.

The Washington newspaper that rated the in-state players called Martin the most electric player in the state with freakish athleticism. That's not the Gopherhole or some Gopher fan saying that. I like what I am hearing and believe he will improve us next year.

Who are the topline PFs in the Big Ten this year? It's not like there are 3 or 4 Mbakwes and Sullingers in the conference. I actually think 'the PF who shall not be named' would be one of the better PFs in the conference.

Fine....

We are splitting hairs. I personally doubt that the unknown solider would be a top tier PF in the big 10 as a senior in High School but I digress. Point is, he got dominated. (and I'll throw in another qualifier here that I didn't see said domination, I just remember reading about him putting up some particularly weak stats in that game)
For what it's worth, I love me some JM, I am just trying my best to not get too enamored with the gaudy stats he is putting up in highschool. And contrary to what anyone says, I don't think there is a good indicator of what he will or will not do on the collegiate level.

Fine....

We are splitting hairs. I personally doubt that the unknown solider would be a top tier PF in the big 10 as a senior in High School but I digress. Point is, he got dominated. (and I'll throw in another qualifier here that I didn't see said domination, I just remember reading about him putting up some particularly weak stats in that game)
For what it's worth, I love me some JM, I am just trying my best to not get too enamored with the gaudy stats he is putting up in highschool. And contrary to what anyone says, I don't think there is a good indicator of what he will or will not do on the collegiate level.

Didn't Vaughn get dominated by Whitehead head to head (or was it the other way around). I wouldn't take too much from Martin's matchup with Reid. Basketball is a team game and I doubt Martin's PG was anywhere near the distributor that Tyus is.

All the EYBL advanced stats are completely irrelevant now. He has grown a few inches.

GW is projecting on stats from the summer when Martin was shorter. Martin would have performed better in the EYBL at his current height.

Thus, Martin would put up better stats than Oto if he was projected to put up Oto like stats prior to his growth spurt.

I would say he looks an inch or two taller

From what I can see, Martin's 1) athleticism and 2) offense are better than anything we had this year. But that doesn't necessarily mean he would be a better player or would see the court more. 3) Practice attitude. 4) How quickly he picks up schemes. 5) Away-from-the-ball hustle and about 10 other things will determine playing time.

I hope he is the next Sullinger though.

Pollyanna, I just can't get wet and sticky every time Coach P. is mentioned. Good call that Morris is better than Austin. Being so lightly recruited and his JUCO stats may well have fooled those who look at tape.
Nobody minds your skepticism about the program, but your faux Jim Rome hyperbole and complete overstatement of reality is a pain in the ass.

From what I can see, Martin's 1) athleticism and 2) offense are better than anything we had this year. But that doesn't necessarily mean he would be a better player or would see the court more. 3) Practice attitude. 4) How quickly he picks up schemes. 5) Away-from-the-ball hustle and about 10 other things will determine playing time.

I hope he is the next Sullinger though.
I actually hope he is more mobile and jumps better than Sullinger, which I think he will. I have no expectation he has Sullinger's inside scoring game or ever will have it.

On 247, Martin is listed at 6-9 225, a 3 star guy, and the 55th highest rated pf. Reid 6-7 228. 4 star guy and rated 8-10 pf. Reid also made the McDonald's all american game, 1 of the top 24 in the country. I am not sure what the box score said but I would not expect Martin to play Reid very well.

I also disagree on wether Reid would be a top big ten pf next year, i say he would and possible top 5-7 pf if he would have came to Minnesota.

I could see reid averaging 12 pts, 8 reb a game at Stanford next season. I am hoping for 6 pts, 5 reb from Martin.

The interesting question each recruit must answer is how quickly can they become a factor? Some kids I takes no time at all to get up to speed with the college game and for others it takes some time. I will be interested to see how quickly it takes all three Gopher commits to become a factor in the rotation. I was impressed how quickly McNeil came along as a true freshman. I am expecting a lot more especially from Martin who has a great opportunity to win not only playing time but to become a key fixture to next years Gopher team.

I'm hoping for Chris Humphries 2.0 (without the selfishness or overbearing father), but I admit 20 & 10 is unlikely (but you have to be able to dream, right?!)

Didn't Vaughn get dominated by Whitehead head to head (or was it the other way around). I wouldn't take too much from Martin's matchup with Reid. Basketball is a team game and I doubt Martin's PG was anywhere near the distributor that Tyus is.

One, people have bad days. Two, it is possible the whole experience turned the lights on for him and he is twice as good as he was. People do improve. Sometimes dramatically, seemingly overnight...especially as high school seniors. Confidence and awareness kick in.

I would bet a million dollars (if I had It) that Josh would love nothing more than another shot at Reid Travis

I would bet a million dollars (if I had It) that Josh would love nothing more than another shot at Reid Travis

I would have LOVED it had Reid become a Gopher. However, the homer in me keeps thinking that due to the height and the leaping ability- Josh may have as much or more upside as Reid. Reid's going to be a great college player though.

Josh is listed at 6'9" on the West Coast All Star Roster. Better off not shooting 3s if you do not break 30%...So the fact that Josh may not shoot the 3 like Oto is a plus

I'm personally hoping Michael Humphrey starts all 4 years at Stanford while Josh Martin starts all 4 years for us. :D

ETA: Stanford actually has quite a few 3-4 star big men on their roster for next year (according to Rivals)...

Stefan Nastic - 3 star senior - 6'11 C
Rosco Allen - 4 star junior - 6'9 PF
Grant Verhoeven - 3 star junior - 6'9 C
Schuyler Rimmer - 3 star sophomore - 6'9 C
Michael Humphrey - 4 star freshman - 6'10 PF
Travis Reid - 4 star freshman - 6'7 PF

I'm personally hoping Michael Humphrey starts all 4 years at Stanford while Josh Martin starts all 4 years for us. :D

ETA: Stanford actually has quite a few 3-4 star big men on their roster for next year (according to Rivals)...

Stefan Nastic - 3 star senior - 6'11 C
Rosco Allen - 4 star junior - 6'9 PF
Grant Verhoeven - 3 star junior - 6'9 C
Schuyler Rimmer - 3 star sophomore - 6'9 C
Michael Humphrey - 4 star freshman - 6'10 PF
Travis Reid - 4 star freshman - 6'7 PF

Not even being a homer saying this, just noting the obvious. That's a crowded field, especially at PF. No indication that Travis will start right away or at all.

Yeah that is the conclusion I came to after looking at their last few classes. Starting spot is not guaranteed at all. Also interesting that he is the shortest and probably has the worst length out of the group. He is probably the strongest and toughest though.

Trying to wrap my head around some of the numbers he's putting up. From what I gather he plays at a similar level to the big schools here in the twin cities. I don't recall anyone locally repeatedly putting up 30+/20+ games. 34/22/8 blocks recently, went for 46/22 earlier in the season. Also read that he's grown to almost 6'10 and is an extremely hard worker. Extremely intrigued.

He really stepped up his game over his senior year... Could really hit the ground running in the B1G.

As a junior Martin put up an efficient 12 points and 8 rebounds per contest playing in the shadow of the Bothell senior backcourt made up by Zach Lavine and Perrion Callandret.

View attachment 2620I'm not sure how much he has grown. Or if he has grown at all? Josh just posted this picture on twitter of him next to Shaqquan Aaron and they look about the same height. Aaron is listed at 6'7"https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshMartin_206/status/458455709399535618

Josh is leaning a little bit and still seems to be an inch taller to me. It still looks like he's 6'9 to me. It also looks like Hulk has about 30-35 pounds on Shaqquan! That's encouraging for sure.

Top Bottom