Just how good is Josh Martin?

Man, you're obnoxious.

I've never seen a board like this.

You look at Martin's build and athleticism, and the sky's the limit. You see him pop jump shots on some of his tapes, and the potential for him being the complete inside/outside player is there if the outside shot can become consistent. It's WAY too early to start talking like this, but I'll do it: he's got NBA career potential.

I've never seen a board like this.

You look at Martin's build and athleticism, and the sky's the limit. You see him pop jump shots on some of his tapes, and the potential for him being the complete inside/outside player is there if the outside shot can become consistent. It's WAY too early to start talking like this, but I'll do it: he's got NBA career potential.

Yes it is, but do not ever tell a GH expert that.

Yes he did. 18 points with a very efficient 22 shots. In 7 conference games, he's now at 12% from the three and 31.4% overall. Only slightly down from last seasons 25% and 36% respectively. Those who said he was better than two year starter Joe Coleman, and three year starter Austin certainly knew what they were talking about. The good news is he can still be Norwooded before he comes to Dinkytown.

Fair warning if squirrel turns out legit you will be mocked on a GW type level, but I suppose if he's a bust you'll go the route minnagg, parski, mosses etc

Fair warning if squirrel turns out legit you will be mocked on a GW type level, but I suppose if he's a bust you'll go the route minnagg, parski, mosses etc

All the Sweathogs are out today. Coach P. is man enough to take a little criticism toward one of his recruits, maybe you novices should work on it.

All the Sweathogs are out today. Coach P. is man enough to take a little criticism toward one of his recruits, maybe you novices should work on it.

Your criticism of a recruit isn't what was called obnoxious.

How many times have you see him play, not counting the couple of old highlight videos floating around the internet? I think Pitino and Co. have probably scouted him a littler harder than you so I don't think they give two ****s what you think. And I don't think this board does either.

How many times have you see him play, not counting the couple of old highlight videos floating around the internet? I think Pitino and Co. have probably scouted him a littler harder than you so I don't think they give two ****s what you think. And I don't think this board does either.

Pollyanna, I just can't get wet and sticky every time Coach P. is mentioned. Good call that Morris is better than Austin. Being so lightly recruited and his JUCO stats may well have fooled those who look at tape.

Ultimately, the California, Oklahoma State, UCLA, Pittsburgh, Florida State, and Gonzaga coaching staffs believed he was good enough to make an impact on their programs, so I'm going to trust them more then an outsider evaluation.

Pollyanna, I just can't get wet and sticky every time Coach P. is mentioned. Good call that Morris is better than Austin. Being so lightly recruited and his JUCO stats may well have fooled those who look at tape.

We're all still waiting for you to prove your Norwood Teague conspiracy. We're all also wondering if you still believe that Foster didn't have the vast majority of his offers pulled.

We're all still waiting for you to prove your Norwood Teague conspiracy. We're all also wondering if you still believe that Foster didn't have the vast majority of his offers pulled.

Ah, Alex Foster. If only...

Back to the topic at hand... kind of.
Does anyone remember how excited we all were for Kevin Payton and Lawrence Westbrook? Payton scored 51 points in an all star game IIRC and Westbrook AVERAGED over 40 points a game his junior year and near fifty his senior year. I think we should all remember that Martin's high school games are exactly that... High school games. Lets not get too high or too low until he gets on campus and shows what he can do.
All of that being said count me in the camp of people who think Ski-U-Martin will be an absolute stud.

Back to the topic at hand... kind of.
Does anyone remember how excited we all were for Kevin Payton and Lawrence Westbrook? Payton scored 51 points in an all star game IIRC and Westbrook AVERAGED over 40 points a game his junior year and near fifty his senior year. I think we should all remember that Martin's high school games are exactly that... High school games. Lets not get too high or too low until he gets on campus and shows what he can do.
All of that being said count me in the camp of people who think Ski-U-Martin will be an absolute stud.

True. I think I'm excited because we we will be able to watch someone that may have a higher ceiling than the current PFs, although the PF spot has been much more stable than I anticipated this year. No idea if he makes an impact next year or when he's an upperclassman, but I think he will be a player by the time Pitino brings a couple of his own recruiting classes in.

How is his game similar to Oto's? They seem nothing alike.

I said Oto with elevation, but minus the 3-point shot. :)

Usage (~16-17%), rebounding (~15% DR%), roles, etc. I'd project as similar.

Definitely not the same player - but numbers and roles could look similar.

Offensively, he's looks a bit like Blake Griffin but can actually shoot well beyond five feet from the rim.

If Dan Cole saw this, it would be nominated for a preposterous statement. Maybe even a top seed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but our prized 2 star recruit looks like one of the top PFs in the NBA, only better.

If Dan Cole saw this, it would be nominated for a preposterous statement. Maybe even a top seed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but our prized 2 star recruit looks like one of the top PFs in the NBA, only better.

Solves the issue of him being undervalued. :)

Your post will have me chuckling continuously the rest of the evening.

Every time you call him a 2-star recruit and seriously think that's what he actually is, you lose more credibility in my opinion. At least give him a shot here before you start mocking him.

I'd say there is about a 2% chance numbers and roles are similar.

GW, do you think that in most years Martin would redshirt? I know everyone is talking about how he's going to play right away, but ideally, I'd kind of like for him to redshirt. I know that that's not an option now, but...

GW, do you think that in most years Martin would redshirt? I know everyone is talking about how he's going to play right away, but ideally, I'd kind of like for him to redshirt. I know that that's not an option now, but...

Redshirts in basketball are pretty rare unless you're a raw 7 footer who isn't ready to contribute.

Still seems like a bizarre comparison. Their styles just seem nothing alike. I'll let this one go.

Haha, I was trying to figure out if there were anything more to it. You're right though, basically sounds like he's saying he thinks that Martin will be about as valuable as Oto is, not that they're actually in any way similar outside of that.

I think it's his subtle way of saying he doesn't think he's anything special.

The better and more important question is how good can he be. Time will tell.

I don't think anyone would watch Martin's highlights and think Oto. They are completely different players. Oto is as soft as they come, has poor court awareness, doesn't have a good motor or play with urgency, and is not physically imposing. I look forward to GW proving us all wrong though, I mean it hasn't to happen eventually right?

Still seems like a bizarre comparison. Their styles just seem nothing alike. I'll let this one go.

My assumption is that GW predicts he will have the same effect on the team that Oto has. Based on the meterics he looks at from his EYBL league he appears to have the same impact as Oto when playing against greater compeition.

I cannot stop thinking about, when trying to determine his skill level, the fact that he got dominated by Reid Travis (Who?) while I know Reid is a great player, I would have like to see JM compete a bit more against someone of his ability as Reid is far from a top line B1G PF at this stage of the game. And that essentially, is what JM will have to compete against day in and day out from the jump.

My guess is JM is a stud as a senior and we all trash talk him his freshman year because there is no way he meets the expectations we've already placed on him with the 30+ threads about his HS career.

Top Bottom