Just how good is Josh Martin?

balds

Reaction score
Trying to wrap my head around some of the numbers he's putting up. From what I gather he plays at a similar level to the big schools here in the twin cities. I don't recall anyone locally repeatedly putting up 30+/20+ games. 34/22/8 blocks recently, went for 46/22 earlier in the season. Also read that he's grown to almost 6'10 and is an extremely hard worker. Extremely intrigued.

I think he's a guy that will contribute as an underclassmen provide solid depth and as he turns into upperclassmen, step up and be a legit B1G PF

I think he's a guy that will contribute as an underclassmen provide solid depth and as he turns into upperclassmen, step up and be a legit B1G PF

He'll be our best 4 the minute he steps on campus. We don't have a legit 4 on the squad.

Offensively, he's looks a bit like Blake Griffin but can actually shoot well beyond five feet from the rim.

He's a mix of Dwight Howard, Larry Bird, and Rodney Dangerfield.

He'll be our best 4 the minute he steps on campus. We don't have a legit 4 on the squad.

True, but I'm talking about how good he is or at least my opinion, I do think he will be put into a bigger role than he may be ready for, hopefully he's a fast learner and that Joey and oto can get better as well so that there isn't unrealistic expectations for him. I think Josh will hustle, bring energy be a good rebounder, but I'm not expecting Mbakwe 2.0 his frosh year.

Not saying this is a weakness in his game but for many young players it is the expectations for good defensive play that needs a ton of work.

Code:
If he's truly up to 6'10, 230 lbs and as athletic and hard-working as he seems to be, he could be solid for us as a freshman. If I had to throw out a random, specific, wild guess, he'll start next next season and average something like 9.0 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 1.5 bpg.

He's a mix of Dwight Howard, Larry Bird, and Rodney Dangerfield.

Haha perfect. Great big man. Great shooter. And doesn't get any respect!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I have not read anywhere that Josh has grown to 6'10" anywhere but here from posters. Is this actually true or is it just forum talk?

I have not read anywhere that Josh has grown to 6'10" anywhere but here from posters. Is this actually true or is it just forum talk?

Ryan James tweeted out that word was Josh was approaching 6'10.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Word is Josh Martin continues to grow and is approaching 6-ft-10. With his level of agility and activity, that's the definition of potential</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/428644450517020672">January 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ryan James tweeted out that word was Josh was approaching 6'10.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Word is Josh Martin continues to grow and is approaching 6-ft-10. With his level of agility and activity, that's the definition of potential</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/428644450517020672">January 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So Extenze really does work?

I saw Josh Martin play last summer at an all-star game at Rucker Park. Rashad Vaughn played in the same game. You are going to love this kid! He give 100% on every play and grabbed every rebound. He didn't get to shoot because the guards jacked up shots soon as they touched the ball, but Martin became a crowd favorite because he was diving on the floor and going up high for rebounds.

I saw Josh Martin play last summer at an all-star game at Rucker Park. Rashad Vaughn played in the same game. You are going to love this kid! He give 100% on every play and grabbed every rebound. He didn't get to shoot because the guards jacked up shots soon as they touched the ball, but Martin became a crowd favorite because he was diving on the floor and going up high for rebounds.

So he could be Mitch McGary 2.0. I'm ok with that.

Code:
If he's truly up to 6'10, 230 lbs and as athletic and hard-working as he seems to be, he could be solid for us as a freshman. If I had to throw out a random, specific, wild guess, he'll start next next season and average something like 9.0 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 1.5 bpg.

I'd take that stat line in a sec.

Does anyone know if there is any video of him playing this season? All I can find is stuff from the Summer Circuit and last season.

Code:

I'll say 10.5 ppg, 7.2 rpg

Chop those in half and I might be on board with you!

What is your analysis on Martin? I assume you watched him this past summer. Do you think his progression this winter affects how he's viewed as a recruit?

What is your analysis on Martin? I assume you watched him this past summer. Do you think his progression this winter affects how he's viewed as a recruit?

Posted some thoughts in the ESPN Updated Rankings thread...
As for high school, one could point out that last year his team was one of the best in the state. They lost their top player to graduation and now it's Martin's team. They are a ~.500 type team this year despite his individual production rising. That doesn't necessarily mean much about Martin specifically, but it's important to consider along with other factors.

With regard to his ability and future impact... I see his value as a guy who could mix it up inside, rebound, defend.. not sold on his ability to shoot the ball away from the basket (or at the FT line :)). I think he'll compete, has an edge that can be good for a locker room if used the right way.

Probably will struggle with fouls early on; may be a slow start... but he does have the ability to be a solid player. And a player of his type is needed on the roster.. so not a bad fit at Minnesota.

I did see him this summer, but have not seen him in high school games this season. A lot of people put up good numbers... it'll get fans more excited (as evidence here), but high school performances are of more interest to me when the team plays great competition and/or the team is very good.

That said, I think there's upside for Martin... so him putting up numbers is certainly better than him struggling.. just not sure it's fair to say he's dramatically improved since late summer.

Yes he did. 18 points with a very efficient 22 shots. In 7 conference games, he's now at 12% from the three and 31.4% overall. Only slightly down from last seasons 25% and 36% respectively. Those who said he was better than two year starter Joe Coleman, and three year starter Austin certainly knew what they were talking about. The good news is he can still be Norwooded before he comes to Dinkytown.

Yes he did. 18 points with a very efficient 22 shots. In 7 conference games, he's now at 12% from the three and 31.4% overall. Only slightly down from last seasons 25% and 36% respectively. Those who said he was better than two year starter Joe Coleman, and three year starter Austin certainly knew what they were talking about. The good news is he can still be Norwooded before he comes to Dinkytown.

Man, you're obnoxious.

Posted some thoughts in the ESPN Updated Rankings thread...

I did see him this summer, but have not seen him in high school games this season. A lot of people put up good numbers... it'll get fans more excited (as evidence here), but high school performances are of more interest to me when the team plays great competition and/or the team is very good.

That said, I think there's upside for Martin... so him putting up numbers is certainly better than him struggling.. just not sure it's fair to say he's dramatically improved since late summer.

Thanks for the insight. I tend to agree that there's so much opportunity for Martin up big numbers that it's not fair to overreact, but it's also a good sign. I'm wondering if his AAU team utilized him to the best of his abilities. Also seems to fit an immediate role of the type of player we don't have. My hope for him is that he has the potential for a Nigel Hayes-like progression as a freshman. Martin may not be as polished, but I hope he can play a solid role in B10 play.

Top Bottom