Just how good is Josh Martin?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> recruit Josh Martin and target Djuan Piper to play in West Coast All-Star Classic on May 11 -- <a href="http://t.co/2azkCrVOOf">http://t.co/2azkCrVOOf</a></p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/458832558008983552">April 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I hope to god that Josh Martin comes in and dominates, because if he doesn't, the GH crazies are going to tear him apart. His legend is growing every day, by the time he hits campus he's going to be 7'6" 320# Dunk with no hands and shoots free throws with his eyes shut.

I hope to god that Josh Martin comes in and dominates, because if he doesn't, the GH crazies are going to tear him apart. His legend is growing every day, by the time he hits campus he's going to be 7'6" 320# Dunk with no hands and shoots free throws with his eyes shut.

Wait you're telling me he can't already dunk with no hands? and he keeps his eyes open during free throws? That's it, I don't want him!!!

I don't think anyone is going to give up on him if he isn't all B1G from the get go. And if anyone does, their an idiot.

I don't think anyone is going to give up on him if he isn't all B1G from the get go. And if anyone does, their an idiot.

Madtown, you know better.

No one gives up on anyone at the GH... They just jump down your throats the minute you miss a layup and then when you win a game later in the year GH'rs procaim he's always been my favorite player.

Look at the Austin Hollins treatment this year.... If I wanted to, I can guarantee you I could find at least a couple posters who said Malik should start for him at one point and then later in the year proclaimed he's always been their favorite Gopher and was the MVP of the season. Opposite for Malik, best player on the team at one point this season, a wasted scholarship at another point. EE was best post in the B1G, now he's a mid major bench player. Mo was too slow and lazy with no post moves in the early portion of the year and now he's the best post in the B1G and possibly conference player of the year next year. And I'm not suggesting that there are differing opinions on the board, I'm suggesting THE EXACT SAME PERSON has said these things about the same player.

So yes, you are right, if anyone does give up on JM, they are an idiot. But I can guarantee you that someone will and it won't be just one person and they will likely proclaim they knew he would be a star from day one after he graduates with B1G 1st team honors.

Austin struggled nearly his entire senior season. That is why people were frustrated. Martin will have 4 years to develop, no reason to write him off if he struggles.

And why are you even worrying about this in April?

Reid is the highest rated of those that will probably be playing pf, i say he starts. On Espn Reid is rated the #6pf 6-8 240, and Humphrey #16. Humphrey listed at 6-10 and just 200 lbs. Reid has a college pf body already.

I'm personally hoping Michael Humphrey starts all 4 years at Stanford while Josh Martin starts all 4 years for us. :D

ETA: Stanford actually has quite a few 3-4 star big men on their roster for next year (according to Rivals)...

Stefan Nastic - 3 star senior - 6'11 C
Rosco Allen - 4 star junior - 6'9 PF
Grant Verhoeven - 3 star junior - 6'9 C
Schuyler Rimmer - 3 star sophomore - 6'9 C
Michael Humphrey - 4 star freshman - 6'10 PF
Travis Reid - 4 star freshman - 6'7 PF

Austin struggled nearly his entire senior season. That is why people were frustrated. Martin will have 4 years to develop, no reason to write him off if he struggles.

And why are you even worrying about this in April?

You're missing the point.

Defending anyone doing what I stated is ludicrous. Claiming Austin should be benched for Malik and then saying he's your favorite Gopher of all time is moronic and is the type of fan I abhor. Trumpeting the highs and lows of EE/Mo et al and operating only in absolutes drive me bonkers.

As far as worrying about it in April? I'm not worried about anything, just made a statement that we're building JM up to exponential levels. The expectations of him starting and contributing anything greater than what Oto brought us this year, I feel are rather lofty. I know he has 4 years, I've said as much in the past that I think he will be looked upon extremely favorably after he is done playing for the Gophs. Its scary reading that we are projecting him to improve x% based on some website stating he grew 3 inches yadayadayada... We Gopher fans, myself included, tend to jump the gun and buy a whole lot of hope, when that hope doesn't pan out, we often over compensate and buy a lot of doom and gloom. When in reality, if we just manage our expectations to a reasonable level, the ride wouldn't be so up and down, just a steady climb up.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> recruit Josh Martin and target Djuan Piper to play in West Coast All-Star Classic on May 11 -- <a href="http://t.co/2azkCrVOOf">http://t.co/2azkCrVOOf</a></p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/458832558008983552">April 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Interesting. Here's the relevant part for most of us --

The All-Star Classic tips off at 6 p.m. [Pacific], and will be streamed live at www.playonsports.com

With Oto moving on and who knows if buggs minutes will increase, Martin will have a good shot at the 18 minutes Oto got on the floor. Here is to hoping he can be a bit of a physical presense and rebounder as a freshmen. Like I said I am keeping my expectations around 6pts and 5 reb and i hope to be suprised if it's more.

I think the sky is the limit for this kid.. He told pitino he wants to play the 3 but also said he will play where ever they need him.

I highly doubt he has the perimeter skills(ball handling, outside shooting, passing, lateral quickness) to play the 3, i have read he is a bit raw as a power forward, but I am excited to have him.

I highly doubt he has the perimeter skills(ball handling, outside shooting, passing, lateral quickness) to play the 3, i have read he is a bit raw as a power forward, but I am excited to have him.

Great disclaimer at end, madness. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I am excited to have a real pf on a team lacking a real pf and playing more of a finese stretch 4. I do not need Martin to try and be a 3 as no sites have said he could or should play there.

I think Pitino was just giving Martin "Lip Service" that he can play a 3. He sounds like a natural 4. I will be suprised if he gets minutes at the 3. We play small ball way more than we ever go with a big lineup.

I think Pitino was just giving Martin "Lip Service" that he can play a 3. He sounds like a natural 4. I will be suprised if he gets minutes at the 3. We play small ball way more than we ever go with a big lineup.

Search Josh Martin small forward and you will see a lot of sites considered him a combo forward.

I think he will play PF, but your wrong about him not being considered a SF/PF.

I am excited to have a real pf on a team lacking a real pf and playing more of a finese stretch 4. I do not need Martin to try and be a 3 as no sites have said he could or should play there.

Well, I hope things work out for you.

I wonder if he was referred to as a combo forward back when he was considered 6-7? I have never seen him in person so I am taking people's word that he is 6-9. How many 6-9 sf play in the big ten? Pitino has stated Morris at 6-6, and McNeil at 6-3 will be the primary competition there. We played 6-4 Austin there and even him occassionaly at pf when we went really small. I would be less shocked if Martin saw minutes at the 5, then the 3.

I wonder if he was referred to as a combo forward back when he was considered 6-7? I have never seen him in person so I am taking people's word that he is 6-9. How many 6-9 sf play in the big ten? Pitino has stated Morris at 6-6, and McNeil at 6-3 will be the primary competition there. We played 6-4 Austin there and even him occassionaly at pf when we went really small. I would be less shocked if Martin saw minutes at the 5, then the 3.

I'd be less shocked if Martin was 6'7 than if he was 6'9....With or without shoes.

Agreed. If Martin wants to develop skills well enough to play some 3 then great, but he's got a long ways to go to make that happen in this system IMO.

Why would anyone be shocked if he was 6'-9". Easily shocked I guess.

Win lined up with Joshua back-to-back, and looking in the mirror, was able to guesstimate a height of approximately 6'7.6. I, for one, am loath to dispute such a scientific eyewitness account.

Why would anyone be shocked if he was 6'-9". Easily shocked I guess.

What does that have to do with anything?

Didn't like my answer to your question so you completely change the conversation? Now its my problem that I'd be LESS SHOCKED if he was 6'7" than if he was 6'9"???

Your logic isn't connecting very well here.

If Travis is 6'8" than Martin is 6'10" he is a good couple inches taller than Travis. He should end splitting the 4 spot with King as Josh can get more done in the blocks and Joey more from the stretch 4.

Top Bottom