Strained relationship Brew & Maturi?

He's Baaaaaack!

I doubt if he tells lies. A few of us are merely easily rankled. Of course, if we spend our time being easily rankled, we don't have to deal with the truth. Some things are as plain as could be, but are so hard for us to recoginze. 3-13 means 3 Big Ten wins out of 16 Big Ten games played. That is a winning percentage of .1875. The 2009 season is crucial in so many ways.

And yet, "we" will try to crucify anyone who says that the number of Conference wins is important. "We" will lynch. We will name-call. We will cry. We will whine. We will stoop to ANY length to attack anyone who does not speak our company line. Just look at what "we" did on GI when someone stated an opinion.

But there is one universal truth that "we" can not combat: The number of Big Ten wins is the ONLY thing that really matters in 2009. It matters. It is crucial. It is the ultimate barometer of how this program is doing in the third year of brewsterball. The Big Ten Conference will keep records of the games "we" win in confrence play and the games "we" lose in conference play. There can be no spinning or ignoring what the numbers will say. 6-2 would be GREAT! 2-6 would be horrible.

"We" are Minnesota. "We" think we can control the thoughts and words of all the fans of Golden Gopher Football. Unless other Gopher Fans follow our company script and lines, "we" will attack them and call them names. "we" are what "we" are and "we" will be completely rankled by anyone who does not comply completely with what "we" try to dictate.

"We" choose to ignore and spin 3-13.

Well, good old Wayne Rendahl.....you are back! How are things in Winona? Do you ever see Warriors DII basketball team play? Glad to see your diatribes don't seem to be as dysfunctional as they have been in the past. Hope you are well.

I continue to be amazed how people think the sports media in Minnesota is so brutal. You're joking, right? Have you not been to other parts of the country? The Minnesota sports media is tame compared to most other places. Criticism from the media comes with the territory, Brew knew that when he took the job.

If Brew did "tweet" the remark about Patrick Reusse (which I think he did, or had one of his minions do), I have to question that decision. A major-college football coach should have a lot more important things to do. The right decision would be to show some class, take the high road, don't stoop to your critic's level. As others have said, it's time to turn down the volume on the rhetoric now that you're 2 years into your head coaching career. Talk less, or at least wait until you've accomplished something significant, and produce more. If Brew wins big here, he'll have plenty of opportunities to get the last laugh in on Reusse.

And I say this as someone who likes most of what Brew has done so far. ... promote the program right out of the chute, get people talking about Gopher football (good, bad or indifferent, seems like more of the casual fans are now cognizant of the program) and, most importantly, he's backing up his words that he wanted to strengthen the nonconference schedule, give the Gophers more attention on the national scene by playing higher quality teams. Gopher FB season-ticket holders should be thankful that the days of Glen Mason's nonconference schedules appear to be a thing of the past.

how about those gophers!!! Cant wait to see them on field. The new stadium will be a great time, great experience, great memory. GO GOPHERS!

Local Media

I continue to be amazed how people think the sports media in Minnesota is so brutal. You're joking, right? Have you not been to other parts of the country? The Minnesota sports media is tame compared to most other places.

Minnesota is about the same as most other non-huge markets in terms of heat for coaches. The difference is that in most other places the sports media actually knows something about sports, particularly football. I'm amazed at how little our "experts" know about what they cover for their jobs, both in terms of people (Does Barriero actually know the name of a single athlete in this market?) and technical aspects of the games.

I agree that the tweet about Reusse shouldn't have happened. It's poor taste, and if Brewster wanted to call him fat, he should have just done it to his face if Reusse ever showed up to a Gopher football event.

IF Brew did the tweet thing, which I am not convinced of, all I would say is he will need a little thicker skin. In regards to the local media, I do believe that opposing coaches use guys like Ruesse and Barreiro to discourage out of state players away from MN. why wouldn't they? And I would imaging that is frustrating, especially since Ruesse is in love with his own issues and opinions, has no conscience concerning the people he writes about and considers his opinion and perspective absolute truth.

I would imagine that can be pretty annoying to be on the receiving end when a major media outlet targets you, especially when you are as hard a worker as Brew is.

I also agree he should have said it to his face, though Ruesse would have made some snide comment in the paper the next day on it.

The pen is Ruesse instrument of getting at people so he can validate his existence. Barriero is not much better, IMO. Stopped listening to Barriero a long time ago as well as Ruesse.

Minnesota is about the same as most other non-huge markets in terms of heat for coaches. The difference is that in most other places the sports media actually knows something about sports, particularly football. I'm amazed at how little our "experts" know about what they cover for their jobs, both in terms of people (Does Barriero actually know the name of a single athlete in this market?) and technical aspects of the games.

I agree that the tweet about Reusse shouldn't have happened. It's poor taste, and if Brewster wanted to call him fat, he should have just done it to his face if Reusse ever showed up to a Gopher football event.

I agree with a lot of your points but I do think that the heat here from the local media is significantly less than many other non-huge media markets. If you look at the media and heat put on the coaches at programs like Oklahoma, Alabama, Nebraska, Auburn, etc.. they heat is definitely higher there even though the markets they reach are smaller than here in terms of readership or households. At most of those markets there are atleast 1 and often more articles and or news stories on television a day about the football programs. Every single word and action out of a player or coaches mouth is critiqued.

Yes, there is a lot of media scrutiny in some college cities. You can ask Tubby about that. However, in these cities you get much more favorable attention too. Twin Cities media has long been pro sports focused unless, of course, something negative happens, then it is front page material.

It is what it is and there are positives but there are also negatives for college sports reporting here. I just wish there was more reporting about the team and less reporting about Brewster's talking. But, I guess that doesn't sell papers here.

Yes, there is a lot of media scrutiny in some college cities. You can ask Tubby about that. However, in these cities you get much more favorable attention too. Twin Cities media has long been pro sports focused unless, of course, something negative happens, then it is front page material.

It is what it is and there are positives but there are also negatives for college sports reporting here. I just wish there was more reporting about the team and less reporting about Brewster's talking. But, I guess that doesn't sell papers here.

You make a good point. I happened to catch Rosen's Sports Sunday and decided to watch to see what they had about the spring game. Of course, the main story (about half the show) was on the Viking's draft. Then they had about five minutes on the Packer's draft(?!?). Then something about the Twins. Then the T-wolves and the general manager/coach issues. Then the Wild and their management/coaching issues. Last, and rather obviously least, the spring game. They showed a very short clip (two of the four touchdowns and one kickoff return) while Jim Souhan intones about how Brewster is really in the hot seat because they screwed up last year by not taking advantage of an easy schedule and that, with new coordinators and a tougher schedule, we are going to suck this year. As an aside, he mentions that Webber is a nice QB and that Gray will be interesting. That was it. I got the feeling if there were some HS games, we would have been behind that.

While GG is correct and the heat is pretty low here, there really is a general absence of anything positive. Now, the funny thing is Reusse's last column (post tweet) about Gray was rather pleasant. Go figure.

Yeah: let's let this macturi run this brewster's contract down to nothing. I can live with that I guess. So, ok: it's a deal. we'll just let prexy b and macturi run this brewster's contract down to nothing and we will blame it all on that Mason and then if this brewster still isn't winning Big Ten games at a respectable rate even though he has this beautiful new stadium to coach in we can let that macturi extend this brewster's contract at the last minute to give the poor no-name/no-experienced brewster one more chance to win a heck of a lot of Big Ten games in what...his fourth or fifth season. Then, if he still doesn't win enough Big Ten games in that 6th season, that macturi can buy this brewster out at the cost of millions and millions of dollars and then this prexy b can borrow more money from the General Fund of the U of M to pay off this brewster! Then, this macturi can hire another no-name, no-experienced football coach and we can do it all again!

Sounds like a plan, harry's ghost! Just make sure that this time the new no name can kiss the high school coache's butts better than that brewster no name did and that he is rumored to really be a pretty good recruiter. He can hire some experienced offensive coordinator to bring in the latest fad on offense and he can throw away his first season and go something like 1-11...0-8 in Big Ten play. That really does sound like a macturi plan!

wow wren this is really insightful stuff as usual.....

Yeah: let's let this macturi run this brewster's contract down to nothing. I can live with that I guess. So, ok: it's a deal. we'll just let prexy b and macturi run this brewster's contract down to nothing and we will blame it all on that Mason and then if this brewster still isn't winning Big Ten games at a respectable rate even though he has this beautiful new stadium to coach in we can let that macturi extend this brewster's contract at the last minute to give the poor no-name/no-experienced brewster one more chance to win a heck of a lot of Big Ten games in what...his fourth or fifth season. Then, if he still doesn't win enough Big Ten games in that 6th season, that macturi can buy this brewster out at the cost of millions and millions of dollars and then this prexy b can borrow more money from the General Fund of the U of M to pay off this brewster! Then, this macturi can hire another no-name, no-experienced football coach and we can do it all again!

Sounds like a plan, harry's ghost! Just make sure that this time the new no name can kiss the high school coache's butts better than that brewster no name did and that he is rumored to really be a pretty good recruiter. He can hire some experienced offensive coordinator to bring in the latest fad on offense and he can throw away his first season and go something like 1-11...0-8 in Big Ten play. That really does sound like a macturi plan!

i mean you HAVE OPENED MY EYES AND I FINALLY GET IT NOW! I SEE THE LIGHT! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! :rolleyes:

All Brewster has to do is win big and he will own the State for awhile. Maturi will eat it up and tell everyone what a great guy Brew is and that he hired him, and he knew all the time what a great coach he was. If he loses Maturi will jump ship and tell everyone how Brew wouldn't listen to him and he was not at all like he thought he was when he hired him. It's all on Brewsters shoulders. It would be hell if he actually did win and we lost Wayne (BIRDY) and all the nay sayers on these boards. How dull that they had to choke on that crow.

So You don't get it do you littlebb? I am the one who wants this brewster to win a LOT of Big Ten football games. I want him to win BIG, littlebb. You know that. I will be SO happy if this brewster can win a LOT of Big Ten games in 2009. In fact, I have been telling this brewster that the only way he can survive in the end is to win a LOT of Big Ten games. I want him to win 6 Big Ten games in 2009.

I also want this brewster to remain as the Gopher coach for at least one season after this prexy b and this maturi are long gone. I do NOT want this prexy b and maturi to EVER hire for the football program again.

I am the biggest booster this brewster has. I want him to succeed. I know that the only way he can succeed and out last this prexy b and this maturi is by winning Big Ten football games.

I want the U of M prgoram and players and coaches to win Big Ten games. You people seem to want to cheap-shot me and call me names for wanting this brewster to do well enough to last longer than the aged prexy b and the elderly maturi. You have no confidence in this brewster, it would appear littlebb. Why do you become so verbally abusive with me for wanting this brewster to win Big Ten games? The only way he can possibly succeed is to WIN Big Ten games. You admit as much yourself. IF I wanted him to fail, I would want him to lose Big Ten games. I want him to win LOTS of Big Ten football games so therefore I obviously want him to succeed in a big way at the U of M! I want him to win big and own the state for awhile littlebb. And, yes, it is all on his shoulders. However, he has this beautiful new stadium. THAT is an advantage over what the precvious four or five coaches have had. He has a 300 million dollar advantage right there!~ I guess that I am the one here who wants this brewster to succeed. The rest of you don't appear to think he can do it.

Get Help Wayne......

So You don't get it do you littlebb? I am the one who wants this brewster to win a LOT of Big Ten football games. I want him to win BIG, littlebb. You know that. I will be SO happy if this brewster can win a LOT of Big Ten games in 2009. In fact, I have been telling this brewster that the only way he can survive in the end is to win a LOT of Big Ten games. I want him to win 6 Big Ten games in 2009.

I also want this brewster to remain as the Gopher coach for at least one season after this prexy b and this maturi are long gone. I do NOT want this prexy b and maturi to EVER hire for the football program again.

I am the biggest booster this brewster has. I want him to succeed. I know that the only way he can succeed and out last this prexy b and this maturi is by winning Big Ten football games.

I want the U of M prgoram and players and coaches to win Big Ten games. You people seem to want to cheap-shot me and call me names for wanting this brewster to do well enough to last longer than the aged prexy b and the elderly maturi. You have no confidence in this brewster, it would appear littlebb. Why do you become so verbally abusive with me for wanting this brewster to win Big Ten games? The only way he can possibly succeed is to WIN Big Ten games. You admit as much yourself. IF I wanted him to fail, I would want him to lose Big Ten games. I want him to win LOTS of Big Ten football games so therefore I obviously want him to succeed in a big way at the U of M! I want him to win big and own the state for awhile littlebb. And, yes, it is all on his shoulders. However, he has this beautiful new stadium. THAT is an advantage over what the precvious four or five coaches have had. He has a 300 million dollar advantage right there!~ I guess that I am the one here who wants this brewster to succeed. The rest of you don't appear to think he can do it.

Wayne, c'mon. Are we going to have to put up with your drama again? You have ranted in a lot of places over the years. Controversy and nastiness follow you everywhere you go. There are many posters on here who bring very thoughtful facts and analysis. Follow their example rather than bringing rancorous epistles.

You don't think Big Ten wins are important here? You like to lose Big Ten games? I don't. Every Big Ten loss brings this program a step closer to disaster. With the new stadium, we do not need disaster here.

I am sure there are more than a few Gopher Football Fans who want Big Ten wins and think that they are important to the present and the future of Golden Gopher Football. There are a few Golden Gopher Football Fans who can't be baffled by hype and spin. They know the difference between a win and a loss. Wins help the program. Losses hurtthe program. It is a very wise person that can comprehend that. As the loon has always said: "...any kind of win helps...losses always hurt. Remember that old honyocker...always remember that!

Mason said it takes at least 10 years to build a program, so Brewster needs another eight years. If he can't do better than a .400 conference winning percentage during that decade (like his predecessor), he should be shown the door. That's where the bar is set.

You Know, That Makes Sense

Mason said it takes at least 10 years to build a program, so Brewster needs another eight years. If he can't do better than a .400 conference winning percentage during that decade (like his predecessor), he should be shown the door. That's where the bar is set.

But Mason got fired after his decade. So Let's say he needs to do somewhat better than Mason. How about win 50% of his B10 games over his ten year tenure. How about it Wren?

Please tell me this whole thing isn't about the 'fat Pat' tweet.

You are all disturbed if you think this is of any consequencs. In a list of important differences and disagreements between Maturi and Brewster I highly doubts this is any bigger than one quick conversation. There must be something more important for us to talk about as well.

Win 50% of the Big Ten games over a ten year period? Well, your boy brewster had better get his tail in gear then. To get to 50% right now there is no way he could do it in 2009. He is 3-13. He has to win 10 out of 10 of his next Big Ten games just to get to 500. That would take him into some time in September or early October of 2010. Then he would need to go 3 and 3 in his last 6 Big Ten games of the 2010 season. So, in the next two seasons he would have to 13-3 just to be at that 500 mark. Is that going to happen? I suppose it could, but, I fear this brewster doesn't have it in him based upon what I've seen from him so far.

More than anything I don't want to see this prexy b and maturi hire again in the football program. That is a very disturbing thought.

Sure, all of the honyockers out there deserve 8 more years of brewsterball. If that's what you want, then I suppose that's what you'll get. But, not everyone out there could be considered old honyockers. There are probably a few who will grow restless even during the 2009 season if this brewster doesn't win a heck of a lot of Big Ten football games. This brewster has to win 40 Big Ten games during a 10 year period just to go 500 in Big Ten play for a decade. He has 8 years to go and he has only 3 Big Ten wins. So, if you get what you deserve and he lasts another 8 years at Minnesota, he will have to win 37 more Big Ten ball games during those 8 years. That is an average of 4.625 Big Ten wins per year. Let's just say he has to go 5-3 in Big Ten play every year for the next 8 years to achieve that 50% goal you have old honyocker.

I've got a bridge I'd love to sell you honyocker if you think he will go 5-3 in Big Ten play each year for the next 8 years. At what point will the plug need to be pulled if and when it becomes apparent he is not going to achieve that 50% for 10 years goal of yours, honyocker?

The problem is, this prexy b and maturi will never make it another 8 years in their current positions. A new prexy and a new AD probably will have seen enough of this brewsterball to determine if he is ever going to be a 50% Big Ten coach or not. IF he starts out with a few 3-5 seasons in 2009 and 2010, it's not in the cards.

But, believe me, honyocker: you and a few of your buddies do deserve brewsterball-like football for as long as you may live. It's just that the rest of us deserve better!

No Problem

Win 50% of the Big Ten games over a ten year period? Well, your boy brewster had better get his tail in gear then. To get to 50% right now there is no way he could do it in 2009. He is 3-13. He has to win 10 out of 10 of his next Big Ten games just to get to 500. That would take him into some time in September or early October of 2010. Then he would need to go 3 and 3 in his last 6 Big Ten games of the 2010 season. So, in the next two seasons he would have to 13-3 just to be at that 500 mark. Is that going to happen? I suppose it could, but, I fear this brewster doesn't have it in him based upon what I've seen from him so far.

More than anything I don't want to see this prexy b and maturi hire again in the football program. That is a very disturbing thought.

Sure, all of the honyockers out there deserve 8 more years of brewsterball. If that's what you want, then I suppose that's what you'll get. But, not everyone out there could be considered old honyockers. There are probably a few who will grow restless even during the 2009 season if this brewster doesn't win a heck of a lot of Big Ten football games. This brewster has to win 40 Big Ten games during a 10 year period just to go 500 in Big Ten play for a decade. He has 8 years to go and he has only 3 Big Ten wins. So, if you get what you deserve and he lasts another 8 years at Minnesota, he will have to win 37 more Big Ten ball games during those 8 years. That is an average of 4.625 Big Ten wins per year. Let's just say he has to go 5-3 in Big Ten play every year for the next 8 years to achieve that 50% goal you have old honyocker.

I've got a bridge I'd love to sell you honyocker if you think he will go 5-3 in Big Ten play each year for the next 8 years. At what point will the plug need to be pulled if and when it becomes apparent he is not going to achieve that 50% for 10 years goal of yours, honyocker?

The problem is, this prexy b and maturi will never make it another 8 years in their current positions. A new prexy and a new AD probably will have seen enough of this brewsterball to determine if he is ever going to be a 50% Big Ten coach or not. IF he starts out with a few 3-5 seasons in 2009 and 2010, it's not in the cards.

But, believe me, honyocker: you and a few of your buddies do deserve brewsterball-like football for as long as you may live. It's just that the rest of us deserve better!

No problem. If Brewster doesn't win 50% of his B10 games after ten years, he gets fired. Just like Mason.

Well, the 50% mark may be hard to meet in the next ten years for Brewster, though it is reasonably possible. I guess, I would like to see a 6-2 average BT record after they are established, so i cannot argue with the 50% guideline by 2018.

What should the benchmark be for Brewster? I am not sure, but I know only idiots judge a coach based on their record after 2 years. Ferentz is barely over .500 in conference play because of his first couple of seasons. Masonites should admit that the talent left here when Mason left was horrible. Ferentz was left with 10 NFL players by Fry when he left, a couple were NFL All-pros, and he still failed for a couple of years. Brewster has some faults, no doubt, but I tend to judge his success at this point in talent upgrade. He is certainly doing that by any objective measure. Will this translate to victories? We will have to wait and see, except Masonites who have already been predisposed to Brewsters failure.

Keep focusing on Mason brewsterite. It will take this brewster how long to win how many games? Unless this brewster hurries up, time will run out on him. It will be the lack of his own Big Ten wins that will make the people see him for what he is. That maturi let Mason's contract run down to nothing and then extended Mason, only to buy him out the next year. Three or four recruiting classes were adversely affected by that smooth move by maturi. Who on earth can recruit when the darn ad lets your contract run down to zilch? Let's see now, how many years has this brewster got left on his contract? This brewster has to start winning lots of Big Ten games so that maturi can extend his contract before it runs down under three years. maturi was going to try to do it after the iowa game last year but he was shouted down...make that slammed down in that futile effort. Right now, this brewster's lack of a contract extension is starting to raise eyebrows in Big Ten coaching circles. The vultures are circling. It's going to be ugly if mauri tries to force an extension and this brewster hasn't won enough games this year...next year...tic...tock...tic...tock...the clock is winding down. The rumors will be flying. A Big Ten coach who has less than three years remaining on his contract is really a coach in trouble.

And, I want to see brewster here for a season after maturi is gone. So, your boy brewster had better start winning a LOT of Big Ten Football Games starting with the 2009 seasons minngg, you brewsterite spin man. Mason hasn't been around for a long time brewsterite. It's all on this brewster's neck now. He only has hiself to blame for not stockpiling enough Big Ten ready players. He has had 3 recruiting classes already...

Will you PLEASE just quit with the "this Brewster", "Macturi", etc...?????

Keep focusing on Mason brewsterite. It will take this brewster how long to win how many games? Unless this brewster hurries up, time will run out on him. It will be the lack of his own Big Ten wins that will make the people see him for what he is. That maturi let Mason's contract run down to nothing and then extended Mason, only to buy him out the next year. Three or four recruiting classes were adversely affected by that smooth move by maturi. Who on earth can recruit when the darn ad lets your contract run down to zilch? Let's see now, how many years has this brewster got left on his contract? This brewster has to start winning lots of Big Ten games so that maturi can extend his contract before it runs down under three years. maturi was going to try to do it after the iowa game last year but he was shouted down...make that slammed down in that futile effort. Right now, this brewster's lack of a contract extension is starting to raise eyebrows in Big Ten coaching circles. The vultures are circling. It's going to be ugly if mauri tries to force an extension and this brewster hasn't won enough games this year...next year...tic...tock...tic...tock...the clock is winding down. The rumors will be flying. A Big Ten coach who has less than three years remaining on his contract is really a coach in trouble.

And, I want to see brewster here for a season after maturi is gone. So, your boy brewster had better start winning a LOT of Big Ten Football Games starting with the 2009 seasons minngg, you brewsterite spin man. Mason hasn't been around for a long time brewsterite. It's all on this brewster's neck now. He only has hiself to blame for not stockpiling enough Big Ten ready players. He has had 3 recruiting classes already...

What other Brewsters are there??? It destroys any credibility you may have in your arguments and is VERY childish and immature... How old are you???

Three classes? Really? You just showed your bias. All decent recruits were gone when Brewster got hired. He took some gambles with leftovers. No other program was offering these kids because it was late. At least give the appearance you are being fair. Mason was 32-48 in the Big Ten. Never played in a major bowl. Give Brewster a chance or just admit you are bitter or not a Gopher fan.

It's all about improving the program. Wins lag. That's Maturi's job, to determine if the program is better and making progress. You can improve and still not be better than the programs you are chasing. We may be a better team and program next year and have a worse record. There is a point you can look at the record as scorecard, but it's not in the first two, three, four, five years. You can fail to access your brains and wail that we're not as good as the big boys, but we weren't that good, and we're still not that good. The level of football we're at requires all cylinders to be firing to take down the top teams. At best we're the 5th or 6th program in the B10 which means we're starring at a likley 3-4 win B10 season with a tougher non-con. It will take luck and over-achievement to have a great season anytime soon.

When Brewster's First Class Are Seniors

It's all about improving the program. Wins lag. That's Maturi's job, to determine if the program is better and making progress. You can improve and still not be better than the programs you are chasing. We may be a better team and program next year and have a worse record. There is a point you can look at the record as scorecard, but it's not in the first two, three, four, five years. You can fail to access your brains and wail that we're not as good as the big boys, but we weren't that good, and we're still not that good. The level of football we're at requires all cylinders to be firing to take down the top teams. At best we're the 5th or 6th program in the B10 which means we're starring at a likley 3-4 win B10 season with a tougher non-con. It will take luck and over-achievement to have a great season anytime soon.

Like I have said a number of times here, we can judge Brewster when his first full recruiting class is in their senior year. That is the class he recruited in February of 2008. There was no transition from Mason to Brewster, it was a complete transformation with scarce talent on campus to do it. I don't know how this is going to turn out, but I am optimistic. You want a sure thing....bet on death and taxes.

Top Bottom