Strained relationship Brew & Maturi?

Two things:
1) Do you have anything to back this up? Any rankings of coaches who started hot on the recruiting trail but had this fizzle as they fared poorly? Because the examples that come to me off the top of my head (Zook at FL and Orgeron at Mississippi) both recruited very well throughout their tenure. So well in fact that the coaches that followed were starting with a well stocked cupboard so to speak. Obviously this is not a representative sample and I'm ready to admit I'm wrong here. But on the face of it I'm not sure I can think of any coaches who were billed as recruiters who fit the pattern you describe.

I sincerely doubt we’ll see Brewster’s recruiting drop significantly/at all by year 4-5 when his future will be decided. If he doesn’t win he’ll be gone and whoever comes in will have pretty talented team. If he wins then he’ll be here and can continue to recruit.

2) What qualifies as “games of significance?” Our NC schedule only gets better in the next few years and our B10 schedule always has plenty of good matchups to make it significant. Perhaps you mean visible, as our exposure is pretty directly tied to our W’s and L’s. But otherwise I have no idea what about our schedules strikes you as insignificant.

Yeah, who cares about USC? :)

I don't know just how bad it is but the word going around definately backs up the original post. There we're other issues but the Twitter thing just sent it off.

I don't know just how bad it is but the word going around definately backs up the original post. There we're other issues but the Twitter thing just sent it off.

If the Twitter thing did set it off in fact then it would be a fair assumption that Brewster did author the tweet in question. If he hadn't you would assume that Maturi would just blow it off or blame it on the supposed hacker.

oh no a bunch of stoic, glass half-empty world view administrators and AD (most of whom are probably from minnesota orginally) can't handle a coach who is: positive, confident, willing to talk openly about wanting U of M football to achieve greater things and looks at everything from a glass half full perspective. all qualities in an individual that a certain sect of minnesotans (you know who you are) for some reason just can't seem to stand for some strange reason. surprise, surprise!

to boot he doesn't take crap from local fat ass minneapolis reporters who deep down could give a rip about U of M football. i think that is great! keep it up brew.

i can guarantee you that 99% of the people on gopherhole who claim to have a "problem" with brew's personality match my description of the first group above. you are nothing but a bunch of crusty, old, sour-ass people who always look for something to complain about everyday.

please go listen to garage logic on AM1500 with the rest of your ilk OR to dan barreiro telling more lies about brewster on KFAN.

What's wrong with the visiting band showing up?

two things.

one is me being a prick... i do not want anything at all to impact home field advantage. anything that makes the other team feel at home is bad.

two, i remember WI's band planning, loudly and intentionally during some crucial MN drives in the fourth 1/4 the last time WI's band visited. since the band "couldnt behave itself" i would just as soon never have that same problem ever again.

that is two, but here is a third. i am sick of maturi trying to promote other schools. the only time ever, to promote anything for another school is if the local benefit to the U exceeds any benefit to the other school or burden to MN. just my self appointed soapbox.

two things.

one is me being a prick... i do not want anything at all to impact home field advantage. anything that makes the other team feel at home is bad.

two, i remember WI's band planning, loudly and intentionally during some crucial MN drives in the fourth 1/4 the last time WI's band visited. since the band "couldnt behave itself" i would just as soon never have that same problem ever again.

that is two, but here is a third. i am sick of maturi trying to promote other schools. the only time ever, to promote anything for another school is if the local benefit to the U exceeds any benefit to the other school or burden to MN. just my self appointed soapbox.

couldn't agree more. f-ck wisconsin's band! f-ck them! i hope they never get to come to a single game at tcf bank stadium. if maturi feels the way some say he does about this subject then i guess my respect for him just went down a few notches.

If the Twitter thing did set it off in fact then it would be a fair assumption that Brewster did author the tweet in question. If he hadn't you would assume that Maturi would just blow it off or blame it on the supposed hacker.

or instead of always jumping to the worst possible scenario for brewster (like you always do) perhaps maturi was just upset about the whole "idea" of twittering in the first place. contrary to what you said it is not a fair assumption to jump all the way down the line to: "the post was written by brewster".

still maintain that it was someone else with access to or someone who hacked into brewster's account.

oh no a bunch of stoic, glass half-empty world view administrators and AD (most of whom are probably from minnesota orginally) can't handle a coach who is: positive, confident, willing to talk openly about wanting U of M football to achieve greater things and looks at everything from a glass half full perspective. all qualities in an individual that a certain sect of minnesotans (you know who you are) for some reason just can't seem to stand for some strange reason. surprise, surprise!

to boot he doesn't take crap from local fat ass minneapolis reporters who deep down could give a rip about U of M football. i think that is great! keep it up brew.

i can guarantee you that 99% of the people on gopherhole who claim to have a "problem" with brew's personality match my description of the first group above. you are nothing but a bunch of crusty, old, sour-ass people who always look for something to complain about everyday.

please go listen to garage logic on AM1500 with the rest of your ilk OR to dan barreiro telling more lies about brewster on KFAN.

I don't think that is it at all, I think people want to see results before a guy starts patting himself on the bag. Trust me, if the coach was at a bigger program and tooting his own horn a record even remotely close to what ours has been the last two years he would be crucified ten times worse regardless of what the talent level was when the coach arrived. This is a cush job for a BCS school because the pressure and criticism pales in comparison to many others and coaches are given a long time before getting yanked.

or instead of always jumping to the worst possible scenario for brewster (like you always do) perhaps maturi was just upset about the whole "idea" of twittering in the first place. contrary to what you said it is not a fair assumption to jump all the way down the line to: "the post was written by brewster".

still maintain that it was someone else with access to or someone who hacked into brewster's account.

If Maturi was upset at the whole "idea" of twittering in the first place he could have simply told Brewster that he was not allowed to do it from the start even before the first Brewster tweet went out, period. He obviously did not due this, unless Brewster was insubordinate and violated a direct order from his boss.

I don't think that is it at all, I think people want to see results before a guy starts patting himself on the bag. Trust me, if the coach was at a bigger program and tooting his own horn a record even remotely close to what ours has been the last two years he would be crucified ten times worse regardless of what the talent level was when the coach arrived. This is a cush job for a BCS school because the pressure and criticism pales in comparison to many others and coaches are given a long time before getting yanked.

no offense, but i have read this same old copy & paste rebuttal from you many times in the past in many other posts that concerned brewster. i really don't think it holds water.

and how does being a positive, glass half full person constitute "tooting your own horn". you are only saying that because it is brewster and you obviously have not liked him from the start. only in the minnesota/the upper mid-west! i have never understood why it kills so many people around these parts when they see someone who wants success for his team/players and is just a "happy" person in general.

no offense, but i have read this same old copy & paste rebuttal from you many times in the past in many other posts that concerned brewster. i really don't think it holds water.

and how does being a positive, glass half full person constitute "tooting your own horn". you are only saying that because it is brewster and you obviously have not liked him from the start. only in the minnesota/the upper mid-west! i have never understood why it kills so many people around these parts when they see someone who wants success for his team/players and is just a "happy" person in general.

I don't know about you but I have lived outside of the upper midwest and in other places where they too expect a coach to do something before spouting off. As many others have stated, under promise and over deliver. Having lived in Texas for several years recently the fans there expect their coaches to deliver before opening their traps(if you don't believe that just talk to a A&M fan about Dennis Franchione). Also, Brewster would do well to pick up some lessons from his old boss Mac Brown about keeping your mouth shut until you win. If he had been spouting off all those years in Texas when he could not beat Stoops and OU he would have been crucified even more than he was then.

I was listening the day Bariero (sp?) brought up this whole twitter thing. I'm guessing that it's all been blown out of proportion based on the initial conversation and how they escalated it with the other guy on there. Dan basically started out by saying what brewster tweeted and then how it was taken off quickly. They then went on to say that it was taken off quickly because maturi demanded it. They then went on to speculate what the conversation was like and how brewster allegedly didn't want to take it down. I'm not sure if Dan said that he had any insider info or not, but the majority of the rest of the conversation was them talking about how brewster and maturi were "at odds" about the tweet.

I personally don't get the hubbub about it:

Employee tells an "inappropriate" joke (or makes a tweet) that the employee doesn't think is inappropriate. Boss catches wind of it and asks employee to apologize for the joke (or remove tweet). Employee explains to boss why it's not inappropriate, Boss explains to employee why it can be considered inappropriate and why he needs to apologize (or remove tweet). Employee agrees and apologizes (removes tweet). end of story.

I don't know about you but I have lived outside of the upper midwest and in other places where they too expect a coach to do something before spouting off. As many others have stated, under promise and over deliver. Having lived in Texas for several years recently the fans there expect their coaches to deliver before opening their traps(if you don't believe that just talk to a A&M fan about Dennis Franchione). Also, Brewster would do well to pick up some lessons from his old boss Mac Brown about keeping your mouth shut until you win. If he had been spouting off all those years in Texas when he could not beat Stoops and OU he would have been crucified even more than he was then.

What constitutes spouting off? Killer shot? If yes, what does that have to do with winning? Any specific examples of back patting?

I think you answered your own question right there.

Then, IMO, you have no case (big surprise :rolleyes:).

Fisch may well turn out to be as described (although he doesn't meet your criteria of having coordinator experience). But even if he doesn't who -- besides a hand full of people -- even cares? The original rumor was Jim Chaney was the original choice. Gee, he parlayed eight years as an OC in the Big Ten into a tight end coach position in the NFL. I think I'd rather have Fisch (he at least got NFL OC interviews -- plus he appears to be a Brian Billick protege).

Brew was wrong, but PC should not be the issue

Anyone in public life should be super careful with what they say. The press should be ignored, but apparently Pat rankles Brew (as Fox rankles Obama). Brew and Obama should both keep to themselves any anger over criticism they may get. But Maturi should not make the thing bigger than it is. A quiet word to Brew, then forget it. We need Brew, and Maturi has gone all out for the new stadium, as has the UM prez. They should all be on the same page.

so who is next in line??

lets just say brewster does turn this program around which i think he is...why would he want to hang around in a place where the media is against him and he clashed with the AD...who else can we get, because if i was a coach and i couldnt get away with making a small jab at a "reporter" i would want the first flight out of here

Then, IMO, you have no case (big surprise :rolleyes:).

Fisch may well turn out to be as described (although he doesn't meet your criteria of having coordinator experience). But even if he doesn't who -- besides a hand full of people -- even cares? The original rumor was Jim Chaney was the original choice. Gee, he parlayed eight years as an OC in the Big Ten into a tight end coach position in the NFL. I think I'd rather have Fisch (he at least got NFL OC interviews -- plus he appears to be a Brian Billick protege).

I have no problem with Fisch and will give him a shot, though I wouldn't count being a Billick protégé as anything special as Billick proved year after year in Baltimore that he was far from an offensive genius as thought when he left the Vikings. I just don't get the excuses that many gopher fans will make for a coach such as,

1. He had no talent when he got here?

2. It was the assistant coaches fault.(Note; he hired all the assistants)

Guess what at most BCS programs the fans and boosters would see those as what they are excuses and would not allow those to be a reason to accept mediocrity thus far. While at most BCS programs a coach with his type of results would be on the hotseat even after two seasons, here many fans put him on a pedestal. Maybe it is these lower expectations many have that has kept this program from making that next step. If you have low expectations how can you expect higher results.

You mean the U even cares what Ruesse, Barriero and Souhan think...why?

If Brewster did write that then he is a complete DUMB ASS. I am a Brewster back but I would be worried about his overall intelligence if he doesn't have the savvy to know that is a bad idea. Who cares what the strib thinks? Brewster definitely should, I don't know if you have noticed but the U doesn't sell out all their football games; they need all the pr help they can get. And, yes he does spout off, I have been fine with it until he runs his mouth too much. It was bound to happen. Brewster has to have the self-confidence to ignore a local sportswriter, this isn't New York and the Yankees.

If Brewster did write that then he is a complete DUMB ASS. I am a Brewster back but I would be worried about his overall intelligence if he doesn't have the savvy to know that is a bad idea. Who cares what the strib thinks? Brewster definitely should, I don't know if you have noticed but the U doesn't sell out all their football games; they need all the pr help they can get. And, yes he does spout off, I have been fine with it until he runs his mouth too much. It was bound to happen. Brewster has to have the self-confidence to ignore a local sportswriter, this isn't New York and the Yankees.

yeah, well i am dumber for having taken the time to read this! brewster can take shots at fat pat reusse and any other writer who is taking unwarranted cheap shots at him for all i care. finally, people who need writers from the minneapolis star tribune or st. paul pioneer press to tell them whether to go to a gopher game or not are the real DUMB ASSES when all is said and done!

I have no problem with Fisch and will give him a shot, though I wouldn't count being a Billick protégé as anything special as Billick proved year after year in Baltimore that he was far from an offensive genius as thought when he left the Vikings. I just don't get the excuses that many gopher fans will make for a coach such as,

1. He had no talent when he got here?

2. It was the assistant coaches fault.(Note; he hired all the assistants)

Guess what at most BCS programs the fans and boosters would see those as what they are excuses and would not allow those to be a reason to accept mediocrity thus far. While at most BCS programs a coach with his type of results would be on the hotseat even after two seasons, here many fans put him on a pedestal. Maybe it is these lower expectations many have that has kept this program from making that next step. If you have low expectations how can you expect higher results.

Man this guys got an axe to grind. Personally, I think you should find a team you like (ie- Nebraska Cornhusker, any of the Texas programs) and troll their boards, then you can write positive things. I really think your depressing life will turn around at this point.

Oh wait............... he has Gopher season tiks :rolleyes: so he is justified to bring his depressing self on here.........

Man this guys got an axe to grind. Personally, I think you should find a team you like (ie- Nebraska Cornhusker, any of the Texas programs) and troll their boards, then you can write positive things. I really think your depressing life will turn around at this point.

Oh wait............... he has Gopher season tiks :rolleyes: so he is justified to bring his depressing self on here.........

Thanks for the concern and don't worry I do post regularly on the Nebraska boards and if you think what I posted was to negative you obviously haven't ready many other boards. It is questioning the status quo and having high expectations that creates change and builds a winner. If all fans blindly supported a coach as you want me to do then programs like Texas and Nebraska would still be stuck with John Mackovic and Bill Callahan as coaches instead of where they are today. Don't be so sensitive, you can support a program without agreeing with all decisions of the leadership. I am sure you don't support all of your bosses or company's decisions but does that make you are worse employee?

yeah, well i am dumber for having taken the time to read this! brewster can take shots at fat pat reusse and any other writer who is taking unwarranted cheap shots at him for all i care. finally, people who need writers from the minneapolis star tribune or st. paul pioneer press to tell them whether to go to a gopher game or not are the real DUMB ASSES when all is said and done!

I don't think people are waiting for the press to tell them to attend games but positve pr can help influence a casual fan to attend a game and see what all the buzz is about. Some of those casual fans may then like what they see and could become die-hard fans. Either way a consistent sell out crowd is good for the economy, university, and the program. Sellout crowds help attract recruits which in turn helps the university put a better program on the field.

What does Brew gain by this? What are we in 6th grade, come on. He has to have thicker skin then this. Maybe he was drunk?

The rumors are false. I saw them playing hopscotch on the playground together.

I doubt if he tells lies. A few of us are merely easily rankled. Of course, if we spend our time being easily rankled, we don't have to deal with the truth. Some things are as plain as could be, but are so hard for us to recoginze. 3-13 means 3 Big Ten wins out of 16 Big Ten games played. That is a winning percentage of .1875. The 2009 season is crucial in so many ways.

And yet, "we" will try to crucify anyone who says that the number of Conference wins is important. "We" will lynch. We will name-call. We will cry. We will whine. We will stoop to ANY length to attack anyone who does not speak our company line. Just look at what "we" did on GI when someone stated an opinion.

But there is one universal truth that "we" can not combat: The number of Big Ten wins is the ONLY thing that really matters in 2009. It matters. It is crucial. It is the ultimate barometer of how this program is doing in the third year of brewsterball. The Big Ten Conference will keep records of the games "we" win in confrence play and the games "we" lose in conference play. There can be no spinning or ignoring what the numbers will say. 6-2 would be GREAT! 2-6 would be horrible.

"We" are Minnesota. "We" think we can control the thoughts and words of all the fans of Golden Gopher Football. Unless other Gopher Fans follow our company script and lines, "we" will attack them and call them names. "we" are what "we" are and "we" will be completely rankled by anyone who does not comply completely with what "we" try to dictate.

"We" choose to ignore and spin 3-13.

I doubt if he tells lies. A few of us are merely easily rankled. Of course, if we spend our time being easily rankled, we don't have to deal with the truth. Some things are as plain as could be, but are so hard for us to recoginze. 3-13 means 3 Big Ten wins out of 16 Big Ten games played. That is a winning percentage of .1875. The 2009 season is crucial in so many ways.

And yet, "we" will try to crucify anyone who says that the number of Conference wins is important. "We" will lynch. We will name-call. We will cry. We will whine. We will stoop to ANY length to attack anyone who does not speak our company line. Just look at what "we" did on GI when someone stated an opinion.

But there is one universal truth that "we" can not combat: The number of Big Ten wins is the ONLY thing that really matters in 2009. It matters. It is crucial. It is the ultimate barometer of how this program is doing in the third year of brewsterball. The Big Ten Conference will keep records of the games "we" win in confrence play and the games "we" lose in conference play. There can be no spinning or ignoring what the numbers will say. 6-2 would be GREAT! 2-6 would be horrible.

"We" are Minnesota. "We" think we can control the thoughts and words of all the fans of Golden Gopher Football. Unless other Gopher Fans follow our company script and lines, "we" will attack them and call them names. "we" are what "we" are and "we" will be completely rankled by anyone who does not comply completely with what "we" try to dictate.

"We" choose to ignore and spin 3-13.

Gee, sort of like what "we" did when the last coach was 3-13 in the Big Ten after his second year.

Top Bottom