Strained relationship Brew & Maturi?

at the bar

Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any insiders on this board that are willing to share any confirmation to the rumors of a strained relationship between Brew & Maturi? The last two days on Barrierro's KFAN radio show, he has made comments that his insiders at the U have told him that Maturi is really mad at Brew over the "fat Pat" episode. Maturi told Brew to knock it off and Brew told Matui this is just the way he is. Brunicks is supposedly also pissed.
Can anyone confirm this?

As a general observation: I don't see what Brewster has to gain by opening his mouth in public. Beyond what is absolutely necessary of course.

I credit Badger fans who admit that likelihood that their coach is a d-bag in private.

I'm just saying. So sue me.

Most coaches are pricks. I accept this.

re:

Just wondering if there are any insiders on this board that are willing to share any confirmation to the rumors of a strained relationship between Brew & Maturi? The last two days on Barrierro's KFAN radio show, he has made comments that his insiders at the U have told him that Maturi is really mad at Brew over the "fat Pat" episode. Maturi told Brew to knock it off and Brew told Matui this is just the way he is. Brunicks is supposedly also pissed.
Can anyone confirm this?

Yes.

Has Barreiro or KFAN ever really had any insight in to athletics at the U? KFAN cares about and discusses pro sports teams well over 90% of the time. I wouldn't read too much in to it given the station's history of ignoring and ripping on Gopher Football. In my mind KFAN can go KF-CK themselves. Their only interest in college athletics is when there is some controversy or rumor going around during a slow period for other sports (Wild are done, T-Wolves are done, NFL draft is complete, it is early in the Twins season). In the absence of anything actually going on KFAN will manufacture controversy to drive listeners to the station and help provide job security after the layoffs they just went through.

Agree with Grunkie. The KFAN knobs, and especially Barreiro, should be taken with a huge grain of salt. For somebody that supposedly has inside sources at the U, he often gets information completely wrong, including not knowing the names of Gopher basketball players during last season.

There might be legs to the situation, but I would wait for a better source than Barreiro. He's amongst the group that has been constantly finding fault with the U for the better part of his time as a media personality.

And now you're an insider in addition to having a crew? Oh noes! I have to worry about you putting me in a body cast and getting my tickets revoked? :cry:

Of course he is. If it has a negative spin about Brewster, he's definitely an insider.

brewster does have a big, thoughtless mouth. That is true. However, I want to see macturi and prexy b gone before they have the chance to screw the football program for life and hire again. So, I do not...I repeat do NOT want this prexy b to borrow more money from the General Fund at the U of M to buy out more football contracts. It is time for prexy b to retire. He is going on 68 years of age. Enough is enough prexy b. And, macturi has had his contract extended needlessly by this senile prexy b already. Replace prexy b and macturi and then let the new AD assess the damage that brewster has done with his mouth.

Quite frankly, it really doesn't matter what kind of war brewster gets into with Reusse. Reusse is going to crucify him any way IF he doesn't win enough Big Ten Football Games in 2009.

People: the squeeze needs to be put on prexy b and macturi. Get them out of here. prexy b. is too old to set the tone for the next quarter century academically at the U of M. He is ancient. Get him out of that office! Then, the brewster as a coach situation can clearly and realistically be resolved. The heat is on brewster so he might as well go out swinging as far as I'm concerned. Long-term, the odds are not in his favor. I say: "give 'em hell" brewster. Do it your way. Don't try to please some ancient administrators at the U of M. Be your own man. Take on Reusse. Take on macturi. Take on prexy b. Don't let the ba$.ards get you down brewster. Your back is against the wall so come out swinging brewster. And WIN a lot of Big Ten games. IF you do that, Reusse, prexy b and macturi won't be able to lay a finger on you...they won't be able to touch you. IF you don't win enough Big Ten games, they will nail your hide to a tree. Administrators and Reusse are not nice people. Give 'em hell brewster!

Quite frankly, it really doesn't matter what kind of war brewster gets into with Reusse. Reusse is going to crucify him any way IF he doesn't win enough Big Ten Football Games in 2009.

I think he'd crucify him anyway. The best we'll ever see from Pat about Brew is tepid, lukewarm praise spiced with veiled insults. And that's if we win a Rose Bowl...maybe.

But I think your overall point here is valid. Winning is the cureall for this type of story.

by this senile prexy b already.

Wayne, aren't you about the same age as "Prexy B"? Besides, your bitter copy and paste ramblings have exposed you as the only senile member of Gopher Nation. You should choose your words more wisely (actually editing your stale ramblings before you copy and paste them).

Brewster MUST last longer at Minnesota than prexy b and maturi. We can NOT afford to have prexy b and maturi setting the tone for the football program for a decade AFTER they retire. They can NOT hire another football coach. So brewster must start winning a lot of Big Ten football games. THAT is the essence of surviving as the coach of the BIG TEN conference member University of Minnesota Football Program. Just do it brewster!

zeppelin: IF you don't comprehend the fact that the only thing that really matters, other than running a clean program and graduating ever increasing numbers of football playering student athletes is WINNING Big Ten Football games.

Do those three things and you will have a job at Minnesota as football coach for as long as you want. Do those three things and you can have a LOT of jobs if you so choose in college football.

What don't you understand about the facts of life zeppelin?

And yes, I am 62 years of age. I am ancient. I survived a lot. Now would not be a good time for me to be in charge of the University of Minnesota's academic planning ( even IF I were qualified...which I am not) for the next quarter of a century. That job could best be served by a younger person who will more likely BE there for the next quarter of a century. At age 68, prexy b is entirely too old.

Strained relationship?

There might be some friction between Maturi and Brewster? I am absolutely shocked! They seem like the sort of guys who would get along swimmingly. Brewster is an upbeat, bigger than life personality who seizes the attention in every room he enters. Maturi is a low key, grinder who appears to know that he’s not ever going to be the smartest or most dynamic leader out there, but by golly he’s going to work the hardest. Brewster has waited years to run his own program and, when he gets his shot, it comes from a Maturi. For Maturi’s part, he knows that he has hitched his wagon to Brewster, a guy he admitted he had never heard of when he fired Mason. Tubby was a no brainer, but Brew was his guy–the most telling hire of his career. If Brew crashes and burns, he’s going to do so with Maturi in the passenger seat. Brewster will always owe loyalty to Maturi for giving him this opportunity, but he is also confident that he knows best how to get where he wants to go and doesn’t want Maturi’s timidity to hold him back. After all, if he fails here, Brewster isn’t likely to get this chance, at this level, again. Maturi wants and needs Brewster to succeed, but cringes when he thinks Brew goes overboard. So some yahoo suggests that there’s tension between them from time to time? I’d say that’s inevitable where two such different personalities under such great pressure need each other so much.

zeppelin: IF you don't comprehend the fact that the only thing that really matters, other than running a clean program and graduating ever increasing numbers of football playering student athletes is WINNING Big Ten Football games.

Do those three things and you will have a job at Minnesota as football coach for as long as you want. Do those three things and you can have a LOT of jobs if you so choose in college football.

What don't you understand about the facts of life zeppelin?

And yes, I am 62 years of age. I am ancient. I survived a lot. Now would not be a good time for me to be in charge of the University of Minnesota's academic planning ( even IF I were qualified...which I am not) for the next quarter of a century. That job could best be served by a younger person who will more likely BE there for the next quarter of a century. At age 68, prexy b is entirely too old.

A post like this just makes me wonder what Sorb would have to say. :D

For Chrissakes!

Wren/4Star:

1. Ruin Kent's Strib blog for everybody.
2. Well on your way to doing the same here.

Please leave us alone.

Bring him back sparlimb: bring sorb back! He's down in Florida and his name is Mark Sornee or Sorenson or something like that. You know: flafan, sornee, sorb...and how about bob39? I really do miss him.

If some of you didn't try to control so much, the world would be a better place... ; 0 )

Agree with Grunkie. The KFAN knobs, and especially Barreiro, should be taken with a huge grain of salt. For somebody that supposedly has inside sources at the U, he often gets information completely wrong, including not knowing the names of Gopher basketball players during last season.

There might be legs to the situation, but I would wait for a better source than Barreiro. He's amongst the group that has been constantly finding fault with the U for the better part of his time as a media personality.

I don't know man. While I don't like Barreiro that much you have to remember he was a reporter at one time. He has got sources and I trust him when this type of info. He might imbellish a little but he is still mostly right.

I don't know man. While I don't like Barreiro that much you have to remember he was a reporter at one time. He has got sources and I trust him when this type of info. He might imbellish a little but he is still mostly right.

If you want to believe him, that's fine. It's your choice. But I think I'll stick to my original plan and wait for another source okay? ;)

Barriero was a columnist, not a reporter. He may have sources but (like Reusse) he was and is given more leeway with facts as a columnist and now radio personality. I think that's wrong but what do I know? :)

I'm waiting for at least one reputable journalist (CJ, Reusse, and Barriero don't fit that description IMHO) to put out something better than rumors from their mysterious sources inside the dept.

There might be some friction between Maturi and Brewster? I am absolutely shocked! They seem like the sort of guys who would get along swimmingly. Brewster is an upbeat, bigger than life personality who seizes the attention in every room he enters. Maturi is a low key, grinder who appears to know that he’s not ever going to be the smartest or most dynamic leader out there, but by golly he’s going to work the hardest. Brewster has waited years to run his own program and, when he gets his shot, it comes from a Maturi. For Maturi’s part, he knows that he has hitched his wagon to Brewster, a guy he admitted he had never heard of when he fired Mason. Tubby was a no brainer, but Brew was his guy–the most telling hire of his career. If Brew crashes and burns, he’s going to do so with Maturi in the passenger seat. Brewster will always owe loyalty to Maturi for giving him this opportunity, but he is also confident that he knows best how to get where he wants to go and doesn’t want Maturi’s timidity to hold him back. After all, if he fails here, Brewster isn’t likely to get this chance, at this level, again. Maturi wants and needs Brewster to succeed, but cringes when he thinks Brew goes overboard. So some yahoo suggests that there’s tension between them from time to time? I’d say that’s inevitable where two such different personalities under such great pressure need each other so much.

Nicely reasoned and well put 2nd Degree! :clap:

I don't really care if Brew and Maturi aren't BFFs or whatever. I care about what happens in the classroom and on Saturdays in the fall. If Brew and his team is having success in those areas, I don't care how he acts or "rubs people wrong". You never get along with everybody all the time. Tell me how many of you all have never had some beef with any of your bosses or coworkers EVER?

I don't really care if Brew and Maturi aren't BFFs or whatever. I care about what happens in the classroom and on Saturdays in the fall. If Brew and his team is having success in those areas, I don't care how he acts or "rubs people wrong". You never get along with everybody all the time. Tell me how many of you all have never had some beef with any of your bosses or coworkers EVER?

I'll co-sign this post.

Hilarious! I worked for the Gopher football team and can vouch that 90% of the coaches when I was in Bierman were d-bags. Good times tho...eating the leftover training table was hog heaven for a student. Frickin prime rib!

After decades of sub-par football, the U hired Brewster to take things to the next level. He has brought in some of the best talent we've seen since our glory days, has great rapport with the players, has the fans excited, has the nation remembering we exist, but it comes at the cost of being not so cordial with the local press -- a press that's known for badmouthing anything Gopher football related for decades... DECADES.

So what?

Let him do his job.

After decades of sub-par football, the U hired Brewster to take things to the next level. He has brought in some of the best talent we've seen since our glory days, has great rapport with the players, has the fans excited, has the nation remembering we exist, but it comes at the cost of being not so cordial with the local press -- a press that's known for badmouthing anything Gopher football related for decades... DECADES.

So what?

Let him do his job.

co-sign. boo-hoo if maturi does not like it. i still am pissed at maturi's comments that he would want every visiting football team to bring their marching band into MN. bull crap. he made the comment defending his open invitation to WI's band. bull crap twice.

co-sign. boo-hoo if maturi does not like it. i still am pissed at maturi's comments that he would want every visiting football team to bring their marching band into MN. bull crap. he made the comment defending his open invitation to WI's band. bull crap twice.

What's wrong with the visiting band showing up?

Who Cares?

Fat Pat is a gross, fat, blowhard - Brewster did not lie. I don't have any facts to back this up, but I'd be willing to bet Fat Pat is not a influencial donor to the University. So who cares about some rolly-polly columnist that is anti-U and hasn't given an amount of donations worth worrying over. I hope Bruiniks and Maturi aren't as big of pu$$ies as this is making them out to be. Worry about your donors and those loyal to the U.

So what?

Let him do his job.

Has the nation remembering we exist, really? That may be a stretch in my book. It will be interesting to see if we can keep recruiting at a higher level as most coaches do fairly well their first couple of years in a new job at recruiting, but once the novelty of the new coach and leadership wears off, most kids want to win and play in games of significance.

What's wrong with the visiting band showing up?

Nothing, if there is reciprocity in the arrangement. From what I've heard, Becky makes opposing teams buy a ticket for each band member. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Has the nation remembering we exist, really? That may be a stretch in my book. It will be interesting to see if we can keep recruiting at a higher level as most coaches do fairly well their first couple of years in a new job at recruiting, but once the novelty of the new coach and leadership wears off, most kids want to win and play in games of significance.

Two things:
1) Do you have anything to back this up? Any rankings of coaches who started hot on the recruiting trail but had this fizzle as they fared poorly? Because the examples that come to me off the top of my head (Zook at FL and Orgeron at Mississippi) both recruited very well throughout their tenure. So well in fact that the coaches that followed were starting with a well stocked cupboard so to speak. Obviously this is not a representative sample and I'm ready to admit I'm wrong here. But on the face of it I'm not sure I can think of any coaches who were billed as recruiters who fit the pattern you describe.

I sincerely doubt we’ll see Brewster’s recruiting drop significantly/at all by year 4-5 when his future will be decided. If he doesn’t win he’ll be gone and whoever comes in will have pretty talented team. If he wins then he’ll be here and can continue to recruit.

2) What qualifies as “games of significance?” Our NC schedule only gets better in the next few years and our B10 schedule always has plenty of good matchups to make it significant. Perhaps you mean visible, as our exposure is pretty directly tied to our W’s and L’s. But otherwise I have no idea what about our schedules strikes you as insignificant.

Big Ten winning percentage in the 7 years prior to Maturi & Bruininks = 28.6%
Big Ten winning percentage in the 7 years since Maturi & Bruininks = 37.5%

I am a big fan of both Bruininks and Maturi. I think they are playing a large role in the academic and athletic success we are seeing at the U. We are 2nd in the Presiden't Cup ranking (results in all officially sanctioned Big Ten sports) and are well on our way to being one of the top 3 public universities in America.

Am I missing something here?

Top Bottom