what?

Reaction score
did I just hear on the news that there will be beer served to anyone of legal age at TCF bank stadium?

A friend of mine mentioned this to me. But I don't really understand. I am guessing that the bill will mean that either all will be served beer, or none will. And I am guessing that this will mean that none will.

I cant believe the U will serve drinks to normal fans, including students at a campus stadium, wouldnt that kinda go against what they (and most every other school that I know of) have always done at Mariucci, Williams arena.

If I am wrong and everybody will be served Beer at TCF, Hooray!!!!!!!why not? Lets get some drinks in!!! I guess I'll just have to spend that extra money every game just like at the homerdome.

did I just hear on the news that there will be beer served to anyone of legal age at TCF bank stadium?

Nope...you just read into it wrong.

What this means is that no one in the premium areas will have to buy their own alcohol. They'll either go dry up there, or they'll give it away, like they do at Williams and Mariucci Arenas in the premium spaces. That's their choice...it has nothing to do with selling beer to the general public.

I can GUARANTEE that there will never be a beer poured in the concourses of TCF Bank Stadium during a Gopher football game...ever.

Nope...you just read into it wrong.

What this means is that no one in the premium areas will have to buy their own alcohol. They'll either go dry up there, or they'll give it away, like they do at Williams and Mariucci Arenas in the premium spaces. That's their choice...it has nothing to do with selling beer to the general public.

I can GUARANTEE that there will never be a beer poured in the concourses of TCF Bank Stadium...ever.

Correct! Rather than bring booze to the common man, the legislation will either prevent the high rollers from imbibing or let them drink for free while at the game. Serving beer to students in an on campus sports venue is not going to happen.

No beer to the general public is how its done ACROSS the country. Michigan stadium isn't even offering it in their suite area.
Stop the whining....go to Stubs before or better yet tailgate.

Oh well, just stick with the time-honored tradition of sneaking it in.

Exactly. The wife just bought me some "binoculars" in which I can store about ten shots of Jameson. And that's why I love her....

A beer in the front pocket of my hooded sweatshirt worked at every game last year. You can guarantee no one will pat your crotch.

I am actually happy that we are going back to the way that it should be. Not only will I save the 20some dollars each game, but it will bring back all of these long standing traditions of sneaking flasks and what not into college stadiums. These smuggling strategies have been passed down from fathers to sons just like any other heirloom. Bringing tradition back right.

Get boozed up before or after the game. I have been puked on twice at the hump. Some people cannot handle alcohol and I don't want to wear it home.

Quote: "No beer to the general public is how its done ACROSS the country. Michigan stadium isn't even offering it in their suite area."

Who cares how it is done around the country. The U is passing up a huge source of income if they refuse to sell beer to adults at Gopher Stadium. How much sense does that make when the Legislature is reducing funding to the U and considering putting caps on tuition? I am starting to think that the GopherHolers who oppose this are using Gopher games as an opportunity to sober up between their pre-game and post-game tailgates.

No beer to the general public is how its done ACROSS the country. Michigan stadium isn't even offering it in their suite area.
Stop the whining....go to Stubs before or better yet tailgate.

I believe Nebraska also went dry in their suites following a premium seat holder requiring serious medical attention last season due to drinking.

Quote: "No beer to the general public is how its done ACROSS the country. Michigan stadium isn't even offering it in their suite area."

Who cares how it is done around the country. The U is passing up a huge source of income if they refuse to sell beer to adults at Gopher Stadium. How much sense does that make when the Legislature is reducing funding to the U and considering putting caps on tuition? I am starting to think that the GopherHolers who oppose this are using Gopher games as an opportunity to sober up between their pre-game and post-game tailgates.

How silly of us. Clearly, EVERY OTHER COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAM IN THE COUNTRY is wrong, and you're right. Of course the University should endorse the sale of alcohol to college students on University-owned property. How silly of anyone to think otherwise.

Or did you forget that these are college students, playing largely in front of other college students? The day that college football is intended primarily for adults over 21 is the day you can have your precious barley water in general seating.

UpnorthG4,

What a great idea! Then we can give drunk U students an opportunity to riot seven times each fall rather than just one time in the spring.

First of all, not EVERY other college team bans beer sales at games. Our first opponent Syracuse sells beer at home games with no problems or penalties from the NCAA. Also, all college seniors and most juniors are 21.
Also, I don't think you can GUARANTEE that beer will never be sold at TCF. The U would be smart to put in keg lines for possible future sales of beer at non-college events like concerts, an outdoor Wild game etc. Too much money to be made on beer sales at those events plus Target Field would get every outdoor event if TCF doesn't offer alcohol sales.

Ah. So the solution is to pass a law that will reduce the revenue taken in at TCF further?

Are you planning to recycle any other claims from the last thread on this? I suppose I could copy paste my last takedown of you poorly reasoned and shifting arguments, but maybe we could skip that and you could A) try to think beyone "I want my beer dammit" and come up with some actually defensible reasons or B) take the same tired canards you've been using and try some new ways of defending them.

First of all, not EVERY other college team bans beer sales at games. Our first opponent Syracuse sells beer at home games with no problems or penalties from the NCAA. Also, all college seniors and most juniors are 21.
Also, I don't think you can GUARANTEE that beer will never be sold at TCF. The U would be smart to put in keg lines for possible future sales of beer at non-college events like concerts, an outdoor Wild game etc. Too much money to be made on beer sales at those events plus Target Field would get every outdoor event if TCF doesn't offer alcohol sales.

I think his guarantee was meant to apply to Gopher FB games.

UpnorthG4,

What a great idea! Then we can give drunk U students an opportunity to riot seven times each fall rather than just one time in the spring.

your an idiot.

although i dont care what they do with alcohol sales anymore. the idea that selling alcohol sales will result in 5000 college students going to the hospital for alcohol poisoning or burning down the city of minneapolis is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. How many kids would spend 60 bucks at a game for beer to get drunk???as you can see from other people on this thread people will be sneaking in straight hard booze...whats more dangerous?? like i said i dont care what tgey do but the idea that the students would make the stadium hell on earth is absurd

your an idiot.

although i dont care what they do with alcohol sales anymore. the idea that selling alcohol sales will result in 5000 college students going to the hospital for alcohol poisoning or burning down the city of minneapolis is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. How many kids would spend 60 bucks at a game for beer to get drunk???as you can see from other people on this thread people will be sneaking in straight hard booze...whats more dangerous?? like i said i dont care what tgey do but the idea that the students would make the stadium hell on earth is absurd

While I agree that the U selling the alcohol does not make any binge problems significantly worse you can bet that the U would get blamed if say, a riot happened after a game. "The U served those crazy students beer!" would be the topic of the day. Thus, one of the main reasons for the policy. While they can't stop underage or binge drinking, the U can at least make sure that they aren't doing anything to contribute to these behaviors.

While I agree that the U selling the alcohol does not make any binge problems significantly worse you can bet that the U would get blamed if say, a riot happened after a game. "The U served those crazy students beer!" would be the topic of the day. Thus, one of the main reasons for the policy. While they can't stop underage or binge drinking, the U can at least make sure that they aren't doing anything to contribute to these behaviors.

Co-sign. Perception is reality.

I was right. Who would have thunk it?

Quotes:

"Personally I use the game to clear my head after the pre-game tailgate, but I surely don't see a problem with alcohol in the indoor clubs, suites, and loges."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"LOL, that was a great one! I agree 100%. I'm usually pretty "full" of beer at the start of the games too. Heck, I think I've been saved @ Madison during the Gopher/Badger series over past years. I get a 3-hour break from beer at the Kohl Center!"

After my earlier post in this thread I came across the above two quotes from Gopher fans in GI. I think that you have to admit that I pretty much nailed it when I said that GopherHolers who oppose this legislation want to use the Gopher football games as a break between their pre-game and post-game boozing.

Quotes:

"Personally I use the game to clear my head after the pre-game tailgate, but I surely don't see a problem with alcohol in the indoor clubs, suites, and loges."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"LOL, that was a great one! I agree 100%. I'm usually pretty "full" of beer at the start of the games too. Heck, I think I've been saved @ Madison during the Gopher/Badger series over past years. I get a 3-hour break from beer at the Kohl Center!"

After my earlier post in this thread I came across the above two quotes from Gopher fans in GI. I think that you have to admit that I pretty much nailed it when I said that GopherHolers who oppose this legislation want to use the Gopher football games as a break between their pre-game and post-game boozing.

Ugh. Another weak straw man? Really? ALL of us are thinking this? That can’t be…now why is this wrong again? Oh yea, because that’s not my motivation. Oops. Oh, that and the fact that those are GI posters, not GHolers. You could have said “GI posters who oppose this legislation want to use the Gopher football games as a break between their pre-game and post-game boozing”…you still would have been erecting an straw man using "evidence" that is not a representative sample of the viewpoints on GI…but at least the "evidentiary" basis for your claim would be posts on the same message board you were generalizing about. Sheesh.

I drink when I tailgate but not to the point where I would need a break from the 2 or so beers I would consume if they sold it at TCF. I like a good buzz (especially for the Nov games) but I’m not falling over or walking crooked or anything crazy when it comes time to go to the game. I oppose the legislation because it is POINTLESS and COUNTERPRODUCTIVE (something you ended up agreeing with in the last thread on this nonsense). It won’t do anything besides cost the U a revenue stream. It’s the worst kind of political posturing and it’s a waste of time that should be spent on more important issues.

does anyone know the name of the idiot house member who wrote up this amendment?

i will not even be sitting in the premium seats and i had ZERO problem with the U only selling alcohol in those areas. seemed like a good revenue stream for the university and would have been easily controlled/monitored as opposed to selling it to the general public.

First of all, not EVERY other college team bans beer sales at games. Our first opponent Syracuse sells beer at home games with no problems or penalties from the NCAA. QUOTE]

Doesnt it have something to do with if the facility is actually owned by the school? Seem to remember reading that somewhere. If the facility is owned by a city, non profit, etc it is my recollection that, at least some point in time, that it made a difference. Is the syarcuse dome a school owned facility ( i honestly dont know). Similarly, could it also be a Big 10 thing, and not a NCAA thing? Just some thought.

Sadly, one thing i would like about a dry stadium would mean less Iowa and WI fans attending. They really seem to like that combination of the game and getting liquored up. We have actually had some Iowa and WI fans mention that the dry stadium may impact their "party" and attendence. Thinking that is merely wishful thinking.

First of all, not EVERY other college team bans beer sales at games. Our first opponent Syracuse sells beer at home games with no problems or penalties from the NCAA. QUOTE]

Doesnt it have something to do with if the facility is actually owned by the school? Seem to remember reading that somewhere. If the facility is owned by a city, non profit, etc it is my recollection that, at least some point in time, that it made a difference. Is the syarcuse dome a school owned facility ( i honestly dont know). Similarly, could it also be a Big 10 thing, and not a NCAA thing? Just some thought.

Sadly, one thing i would like about a dry stadium would mean less Iowa and WI fans attending. They really seem to like that combination of the game and getting liquored up. We have actually had some Iowa and WI fans mention that the dry stadium may impact their "party" and attendence. Thinking that is merely wishful thinking.

i believe the carrier dome where syracuse plays is not owned by the school. sounds like it is a similar situation like the metrodome was for gopher football regarding alcohol sales to the general public.

on your other point regarding the ability to get liquored up all game at the metrodome and its correlation to the number of becky and hogeye fans who wanted to attend those games (especially those that moved here to minneapolis for work, better quality of life, etc). i actually think there is a lot of validity to that theory. i would not be surprised at all if a "dry" stadium impacts the number of becky and hogeye fans will still try to get tickets to tcf at all costs.

they are called "drunken sconnies" for a reason!

valid point, really sucks that the media is a big reason why adults cant drink at the stadium

Top Bottom