question for students on this board

Reaction score
How many of you decided to attend a school based upon the sports scene? How many of you are energized about being a U student because of the current sports scene...Tubby, Brewster and TCF? I am trying to point out to some people I talk to that are constantly telling me that students could care less about the atmosphere on campus. I say the general atmosphere for even the most dedicated scholar is enhanced by a vibrant sports scene. Am I wrong?

I cant make it to a lot of games because I have other athletics-related obligations on a lot of nights and weekends, but I'm stoked. I bought football tickets this year even though I'll probably only make it to two games. So even though there may be some apathetic students around, there are true fans around.

i think it is a big deal and it really gets the students into college...especially compared to other schools in minnesota...schools such a msu dont even seem like a school, they have no sports followings and they dont have any pride in there school from the people o know...I didnt come here only for the sports but it sure helped my decision

While the sports scene had nothing to do with my decision to come here, it definitely has an impact. Being in the band during the 1-11 season was not a fun thing. Sitting through loss after loss got really old. Leaving a football game drained is one thing, leaving it depressed sucks.
Having successful teams does wonders for school spirit. It gets the students excited about being at this school and it gets WisconSIN shirts pushed to the back of the closet. It also gets more of them there, and on time. Anyone notice the Wisconsin basketball game this year? The student section was packed almost an hour before tip off. It was such an amazing atmosphere, and there was hardly any red in the crowd.

Winning cures all.

My blood runs maroon and my heart is made of gold. I grew up watching the gophers play every saturday with my dad. I always wanted to play sports in college, and had the chance to play some division 3 football. However i came to one football game and one basketball game my senior year here and i knew this was the place for me. My decision was all about the athletics and I'm not ashamed to tell people that because I feel it's a big part of the college experience.

Well you have to figure that everyone on this board is a gopher fan.

Sports wasn't really a factor in going here, but not being able to go to big sporting events was a deterrent for some of the D-3 schools I got accepted to.

For me, it came down to UMD or U of M. I have family around UMD and Duluth would be a great city to live in, but when it all came down to it the sports at the U of M were what really made my decision for me. In 30 years I didnt want to look back at my college experience and think, "Damn, I wish I just went to the U of M and watched big time games in a big time conference, to be part of the national sports scene and maybe cheer on some basketball teams in the tournament." So for me, sports were a pretty big deal.

I'm no longer a student but when I was choosing where to attend school Big Ten athletics was what pushed me over the edge. I was planning to go in to athletic training and La Crosse was my other option (one of the best programs in the country) but I kept thinking I would rather work with Big Ten athletes. The other factor was that I wasn't 100% sure of athletic training and if I changed my mind I would rather be at the better university for academics.

I think I read in the Daily that 3,800 student football tickets were sold within the first hour of going on sale at 7 AM Saturday morning of Spring Jam. I think that speaks for itself the excitement surrounding the football program and TCF Stadium.
I felt obligated to come here when the first outfit my parents ever put on me after we left the hospital was a gopher uniform.

I didn't make a decision based on sports, but I wanted to go to a BCS school with an urban campus.

I got my bachelors with Mason and Monson heading football and basketball and I'm going back this semester with Brew and Tubby leading the gophs. I am so used to getting my hopes up and being let down by the first two, but I am so pumped at the promise the latter brings to the table. I am also really enthusiastic about getting to watch football in TCF instead of the Humpty Dome

As for my decisions to go to school at Minnesota, the athletics did not play a part. It was more the academics and opportunities the Twin Cities area brings. However, athletics was a huge part of my campus life and will be again when I go back.

I am a recent grad, with tons of friends who went to MIAC schools who now live in the area and some are in Grad school at the U. As they are getting into Gopher sports more now, they are all jealous that I got to spend my undergrad years involved in big time sports and all that comes with it.

Most of my friends at the U could not get enough of it, tailgating, going to bars to watch away games, etc.

So yes there is a culture out there, but the U is so big, someone could easily go around and ask students on campus if they are into the football, basketball, hockey scene at the U, and have a bunch of people say that they weren't. Hopefully with more winning seasons in a row, we can work on gaining more of those marginal fans out there who are on the fence.

Our biggest problem (actually a strength) is that there is so much more to do at the U and in the Twin Cities than there is in Madison, Iowa City, etc. People here have the ability to be involved in other things, like theater, and the arts, various music scenes, various other campus groups, not to mention pro sports teams. Winning teams will help us recruit some of these people to come to gopher games as well.

The reason why I wanted to go to the U was because of athletics, and of course the excellent academics they have there. But, I didn't make it in, so now I go to MSU. It's true MSU has a poor sports following for most sports, but i'd have to say hockey is pretty big here (even though i'm not much of a fan). I still make it to many sporting events at the U but I feel like i'm missing out on big time sports.

I grew up bleeding Red, having grown up in Green Bay. It was a tough tough decision deciding between Madison and the U. I loved the U's campus, location, academics, Dinkytown area. The only advantage Madison had was athletics. I went to Badger football games growing up, and knew how crazy they were. That aspect alone almost swayed me to go to Madison. But I ultimately chose the U, loved it, and now despise Red.

I grew up bleeding Red, having grown up in Green Bay. It was a tough tough decision deciding between Madison and the U. I loved the U's campus, location, academics, Dinkytown area. The only advantage Madison had was athletics. I went to Badger football games growing up, and knew how crazy they were. That aspect alone almost swayed me to go to Madison. But I ultimately chose the U, loved it, and now despise Red.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You get a round of applause.

I grew up a Gopher fan. When I went to football games with my family I talked about wanting to be in the student section at some point when I got older. I didn't pick the U because of athletics but I am a die hard fan. I also had Mason/Monson during my undergrad years. In spite of that, I love athletics. I was fortunate enough to get into grad school here to so I have more time to enjoy U of M athletics as a student. I've had student football tickets for 6 years and love it. I'm planning on student bball tickets again this coming season. I think athletics is a huge part of the college experience here.

Top Bottom