All things Djuan Piper Thread - UPDATED 4/6: New GopherHole Q&A

I like how he can change speed so drastically. He should be able to draw a lot of fouls!

I like how he's able to jump in slow motion.

All kidding aside, this would be an awesome get for Spring.

http://therecruitinsider.com/2014-sf-djuan-piper-talks-top-three-has-one-in-front/

Djuan Piper, a late bloomer from Rainier Beach (WA), has narrowed his list down to three schools. In order, he lists Washington, Minnesota, and Gonzaga as his top three.

Piper explains why Washington is the front-runner: “They’re my home state school. They have the #5 recruiting class for the class of 2015, and a great class for 2014.”

Rivals says Piper visiting Saturday (front page locked story) 2-4-14

When it comes to the best available talent left in the national 2014 class Seattle wing DuJuan Piper is near the top of the list. At 6-foot-6, 185 pounds Piper continues to add...

http://minnesota.rivals.com/

Djuan Piper Looking At Three
by Brian Flinn, Future150 (6:55 AM CT, Tue February 4, 2014)
"
Piper admitted that he wasn’t sure when he would ultimately make a decision, but it is clear wherever he ends up going, that particular program will get an active wing that does a bit of everything and will turn into a very nice player in time.
"
http://future150.com/hs/basketball-news/djuan-piper-looking-at-three-11790/

Rivals says Piper visiting Saturday (front page locked story) 2-4-14

When it comes to the best available talent left in the national 2014 class Seattle wing DuJuan Piper is near the top of the list. At 6-foot-6, 185 pounds Piper continues to add...

http://minnesota.rivals.com/

Do we have room for (wishful thinking) this dude and the tall Egyptian? Scholly wise no right? But we might see an opening?

http://therecruitinsider.com/2014-sf-djuan-piper-talks-top-three-has-one-in-front/

Djuan Piper, a late bloomer from Rainier Beach (WA), has narrowed his list down to three schools. In order, he lists Washington, Minnesota, and Gonzaga as his top three.

Piper explains why Washington is the front-runner: “They’re my home state school. They have the #5 recruiting class for the class of 2015, and a great class for 2014.”

That's refreshing. Wait, isn't the home state school at some disadvantage, like it is here? Don't worry, I'm sure his family will push him out of state, just like Minnesota families do.

That's refreshing. Wait, isn't the home state school at some disadvantage, like it is here? Don't worry, I'm sure his family will push him out of state, just like Minnesota families do.

This should make me blue but for some reason I busted out laughing at work after reading this. Thanks for the chuckle, BG!

Yeah. We would if Wally peaces out.

The only silver lining to Henry Ellenson eliminating the U from consideration so soon is now Pitino can tell Wally to go pound sand and find another school with no consequences, freeing up a scholarship for someone who can, you know, actually play.

The only silver lining to Henry Ellenson eliminating the U from consideration so soon is now Pitino can tell Wally to go pound sand and find another school with no consequences, freeing up a scholarship for someone who can, you know, actually play.

I disagree with forcing him out, if he wants to leave that's fine, but we shouldn't force the kid to say good bye all his friends, teammates, etc. Maybe if he can work something out with the track program where he can stay in school on a track scholarship. Honestly, I still think the kid can still contribute in the future, he is athletic enough. This reminds with the whole oto situation with everyone wanting him to transfer and now he starts for the team. Players improve over time, just be patient, I really think another offseason with pitino will help wally become a player who can see the court ad contribute. Never write out a player too soon. If wally wants to leave than so be it, but don't force him out.

I disagree with forcing him out, if he wants to leave that's fine, but we shouldn't force the kid to say good bye all his friends, teammates, etc. Maybe if he can work something out with the track program where he can stay in school on a track scholarship. Honestly, I still think the kid can still contribute in the future, he is athletic enough. This reminds with the whole oto situation with everyone wanting him to transfer and now he starts for the team. Players improve over time, just be patient, I really think another offseason with pitino will help wally become a player who can see the court ad contribute. Never write out a player too soon. If wally wants to leave than so be it, but don't force him out.

Fair point, but given the extremely limited playing time Pitino has given both Wally and Buggs this season (even against the preseason cupcakes), I get the idea that he's not enamored with their games or their attitudes or their energy...something. You would think that if he saw something to build on he would get them on the court and let them grow. You're right, he did that with Oto (and has with Daquein), so why isn't he embracing that same approach with Wally and Charles? Goodness knows the roster's not so deep that they can't get through a log jam of talent ahead of them. If they're not good enough to see any playing time now, they need to think about other options for next year and beyond.

Fair point, but given the extremely limited playing time Pitino has given both Wally and Buggs this season (even against the preseason cupcakes), I get the idea that he's not enamored with their games or their attitudes or their energy...something. You would think that if he saw something to build on he would get them on the court and let them grow. You're right, he did that with Oto (and has with Daquein), so why isn't he embracing that same approach with Wally and Charles? Goodness knows the roster's not so deep that they can't get through a log jam of talent ahead of them. If they're not good enough to see any playing time now, they need to think about other options for next year and beyond.

just remember they are both just sophomores, it took Oto, EE, and Mo until their redshirt jr year to figure things out. Not saying that they will or won't because I just don't know, just feel like fans need to be a little patient with players, they are student athletes and not professionals, if you want to start treating players like this, than they have every right to seek to become a union and look for compensation. If you want players to remain student athletes than institutions should act the part as well.

I think Pitino is going to put his best 8-9 guys out there period. It looks like Buggs and Ellenson didn't make that cut because they are behind Austin who is going to get 30 minutes. McNeil and Smith get the loose change there. Can they improve to get playing time? With Austin gone next year- one of them could. I still haven't given up on Buggs because he can shoot and has size. Ellenson is a tweener without a real good jump shot or a great handle so it might be an identity crisis for him.

I too see Ellenson being a cog down the road. Pitino likes length and athleticism, he's got that in spades. I do find it curious that Wally has seen next to 0 court time over the season and seemed to be on Pitino's chew out list in the beginning of the season every time he came off the court. Part of me thinks it, recalling P's blog posts, its Wally's inability or lack of desire to rebound. Kid just wants to dunk, shoot and glide up and down the court.... Think our defense is bad now....

Wally was a shoot first, second, and third player in the little bit of playing time he got earlier in the season. I also don't think he's a very good defender despite his athletic gifts.

I bet Badger fans said the same thing about Kaminsky on their board last year

A little concerned that Piper plans to visit Washington, Gonzaga, and Texas A&M after his visit to Minnesota this weekend. Even if the Gophers make a huge impression, their will be a long time between Piper's visit and his decision.

A little concerned that Piper plans to visit Washington, Gonzaga, and Texas A&M after his visit to Minnesota this weekend. Even if the Gophers make a huge impression, their will be a long time between Piper's visit and his decision.

Plans, schlams.

Top Bottom