All things Djuan Piper Thread - UPDATED 4/6: New GopherHole Q&A

So what fall back plan are we on to now? T? U? V? Crazy how we went from what we could have gotten and hoped for last summer, to what we have to settle for now. Never getting my hopes up for anyone ever again, just wake me up when we get some good recruiting news for once. This killed what was supposed to be an awesome day in Minnesota. ugh

Is it weird I want to cry right now? I can't handle this bad news/ heartbreak again after Reid. Ugh.

Totally different situation. Reid was a 4*/5* recruit who probably would have started for us from day one, could foreseeably be an all-conference player, and in the days leading up to his announcement we all thought he was coming here.

Piper is a 3* guy who's more of a long-term prospect, and it's always been in question whether he'd even get in here.

Totally different situation. Reid was a 4*/5* recruit who probably would have started for us from day one, could foreseeably be an all-conference player, and in the days leading up to his announcement we all thought he was coming here.

Piper is a 3* guy who's more of a long-term prospect, and it's always been in question whether he'd even get in here.

I agree with you on him being a lower-tier prospect than Reid, but academics were never brought up publicly as an issue. Plus, the last month or so he's been a huge Gopher lean, so many of us had already chalked him up on next year's roster. At least I did.

I wish that we could fast forward in time to see what happens with these 3 scholarships. I'm sick of waiting and getting my hopes shot down...

I wish that we could fast forward in time to see what happens with these 3 scholarships. I'm sick of waiting and getting my hopes shot down...

It's kind of starting to feel like we are going to tune into the first game next year and there will be three empty seats on the bench.

It's kind of starting to feel like we are going to tune into the first game next year and there will be three empty seats on the bench.

I am all for banking over bringing in two star guys who will hopefully develop into role players in their senior year. We aren't losing a lot of minutes this year, luckily. The problem of not signing 3 more this spring can be masked with decent recruits later. Bad recruits can't be masked later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

at least shell can be on scholarship for another year

image.jpg

I can't help but feel we're all Wile E. Coyote and this consistently depressing recruiting news is the anvil.

I am all for banking over bringing in two star guys who will hopefully develop into role players in their senior year. We aren't losing a lot of minutes this year, luckily. The problem of not signing 3 more this spring can be masked with decent recruits later. Bad recruits can't be masked later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol that's what we call Creaning

We should use two of the scholarships on the tallest most athletic guys we can find. Red shirt them and hope they can take over for Mo and EE in 2015. Bank the third. That is where I am at right now. Depressing.

We should use two of the scholarships on the tallest most athletic guys we can find. Red shirt them and hope they can take over for Mo and EE in 2015. Bank the third. That is where I am at right now. Depressing.

Have faith, MTG...this is a 2-3 year process with the recruiting cycle for the coaches. I agree with your philosophy, though. Grab Konate and Gueye (if lucky) and redshirt them next year. We will need Buggs to come up big next year at SF though along with McNeil.

Buggs is a PF not a SF. I say find a shooter now

From what I watched this year, he's better suited at SF. He's athletic enough to guard the position and has a decent jumper but time will tell.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>For what it's worth, Djuan Piper told me he can't confirm that he'll be attending a Seattle JUCO. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Matt Gravett (@GravettMatt) <a href="https://twitter.com/GravettMatt/statuses/454108230000451584">April 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>For what it's worth, Djuan Piper told me he can't confirm that he'll be attending a Seattle JUCO. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Matt Gravett (@GravettMatt) <a href="https://twitter.com/GravettMatt/statuses/454108230000451584">April 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

Damn, I sure hope not!

From what I watched this year, he's better suited at SF. He's athletic enough to guard the position and has a decent jumper but time will tell.

I agree with that, but Pitino's been on record saying he wants him at the four, if he develops good handles he would be a nightmare on the wing

58669-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-Sm9B.gif

Josh Martin on Piper, per Marcus:

“I haven’t spoken with him; I haven’t heard anything, either,” Martin said. “He’d be a huge addition to what is an already awesome team for next year.”

Martin has known Piper (shown dunking in a Seattle Times photo) since the sixth grade when both were blossoming prospects at the youth level in Seattle.

“He would definitely add athleticism,” Martin said. “He’s an athletic freak. He also has length. He’s like (Gophers senior guard) Austin Hollins kind of. He’s long and is great defensively. He’s a scrapper. He would bring a lot of toughness I think.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...get-djuan-piper-and-competing-with-joey-king/

Go Gophers!!

We deleted a number of posts that were very speculative about his grades. Until new information is made available about this specific topic, we will continue to delete those posts. Please keep this thread on the recruitment of Piper, and if new information becomes available on his grades then certainly post it. Thanks for understanding.

Buggs is a big. He will never be on the floor as a wing. Never. Pitino has said as much. The college game is basically were every team plays three guard types and two bigs. I like the looks of Ryan Johnson's offense. With Morris I doubt we take another junior college guard. Although we could use another quick defensive minded guard to suit Pitino's press. A transfer or another Dre Mathieu JC type sleeper for the last scholarship would be ideal providing Johnson gets the other remaining one.

So what fall back plan are we on to now? T? U? V? Crazy how we went from what we could have gotten and hoped for last summer, to what we have to settle for now. Never getting my hopes up for anyone ever again, just wake me up when we get some good recruiting news for once. This killed what was supposed to be an awesome day in Minnesota. ugh

The sky is falling, LOL

We deleted a number of posts that were very speculative about his grades. Until new information is made available about this specific topic, we will continue to delete those posts. Please keep this thread on the recruitment of Piper, and if new information becomes available on his grades then certainly post it. Thanks for understanding.

I've already said the information on his grades. It's fact based, not speculative. If you don't want to keep it on the site, that's your deal. As I've said, good luck to Djuan going forward! It's time for him to prioritize and get his stuff together. He seems like a nice kid!

Thank you. Some posts on this thread should have been embarrassing to anyone who calls himself a Gopher fan. A kid from Seattle indicates (but never commits) that he might become a Gopher. Now for reasons we don't really know, it appears he won't be. So all sorts of vitriol, depression, speculation, character attacks, etc. because a kid most people had never seen play won't be a Gopher. The really pathetic posts were the ones questioning his maturity by people acting like 13 year olds whose video games were taken away.

Thank you. Some posts on this thread should have been embarrassing to anyone who calls himself a Gopher fan. A kid from Seattle indicates (but never commits) that he might become a Gopher. Now for reasons we don't really know, it appears he won't be. So all sorts of vitriol, depression, speculation, character attacks, etc. because a kid most people had never seen play won't be a Gopher. The really pathetic posts were the ones questioning his maturity by people acting like 13 year olds whose video games were taken away.

What's sad and funny at the same time are those claiming a lack of maturity are actually displaying the same trait with their attempt to belittle a high school kid. Pathetic is the only word that comes to mind.

I've already said the information on his grades. It's fact based, not speculative. If you don't want to keep it on the site, that's your deal. As I've said, good luck to Djuan going forward! It's time for him to prioritize and get his stuff together. He seems like a nice kid!

Where is your proof?

Bravo on cleaning up the garbage. I hope Piper does become a Gopher.

Looks like we'll find out where Piper will be heading soon. He just tweeted this:

#blessed I'm about to get what I worked for

I for one hope everything works out well for him.

edit: This shortly after:

Crazy how all things can be going against you and A Door Opens that fast

This is a thing...?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Great week for <a href="https://twitter.com/nic_basketball">@nic_basketball</a> Proud to announce the signing of ESPN 4-Star recruit Djuan Piper from Rainer Beach HS! <a href="https://twitter.com/Youngyoson3">@Youngyoson3</a></p>— Thane Jackson (@T_Jack13) <a href="https://twitter.com/T_Jack13/statuses/464924216064622592">May 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

This is a thing...?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Great week for <a href="https://twitter.com/nic_basketball">@nic_basketball</a> Proud to announce the signing of ESPN 4-Star recruit Djuan Piper from Rainer Beach HS! <a href="https://twitter.com/Youngyoson3">@Youngyoson3</a></p>— Thane Jackson (@T_Jack13) <a href="https://twitter.com/T_Jack13/statuses/464924216064622592">May 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

Nice changing of the name!....Oops, looks like you're right. At least it's a Jr. college, so as soon as Djuan's (something) improves he'll become a Gopher.

Top Bottom