Florida recruit really excited about Gopher offer, says MN will get an official visit

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from SunStateFootball.com:

Venice's Brandon Wilkinson had a tremendous junior campaign with 70 tackles, 15 sacks, and 2 fumble recoveries. The 6'4.5, 215 pound athlete played Defensive End as a junior after having been a Tight End as a sophomore where he flashed some big time potential. Recently, Wilkinson reeled in his first BCS offer. Minnesota extended that offer on Monday.

”I am real excited, Minnesota is an up and coming Big 10 school with a brand new stadium and a great coaching staff. I can't be happier.” The Gophers were Wilkinson's first D-1 offer, but there have been many schools interested in the talented pass rusher. UCF, FAU, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, South Florida, Georgia Tech, and Florida State have all been in contact this Spring.

Where does a school like Minnesota stand? “I will always remember they were first to offer and they will get one of my official visits for sure. Everything I have read about Minnesota looks real good, the weather won't bother me, I am excited to get up there and check it out.”

We talked about how he will handle the process, “I will take all five visits almost certainly. I don't really have a childhood favorite or anything like that, I want to see who wants me, do my homework about that school, and try to make the best decision.” With a 3.8 GPA, he can go anywhere in the country to play football, “Academics are important to me, I am not sure which direction I want to go in terms of a major, but hopefully I will get a better idea and that will factor into my decision.”

Trey Burton made a very early commitment to Florida, but Venice has a number of quality prospects for next year including TE Beckett Wales, C Brian O'Leary, and RB/S Justin Grant, does Brandon think he could go to school with a team mate? “That would be great, we are very close, but we are individuals and will have to wait and see who is really interested in each of us. Obviously, I would love to play with those guys if the right situation came along.”

Many have projected Wilkinson to the TE spot, but that is not the case, “They are recruiting me at Defensive End, in fact, most schools are recruiting me there. That is where I want to play, I have a defensive mentality on the field, I like to get after it.” Physically, Brandon could play either and he is really starting to come into his own, “I played last year at 6'3, 185, we have weigh ins on Monday and yesterday I was 6'4.5, 215. The weight is really starting to come, who knows what I will be at next year.”

That is a lot of weight gain from late November to late April, "I did not play basketball this year so I could finally focus on the weights and football training. As a team, we have really put the hours in this off-season."

It is Wilkinson's all around athleticism that has attracted schools to check him out. He has a great first step for his size and you can't talk to a Venice player without them mentioning what a tremendous athlete he is.

With Burton's commit to UF and an undefeated regular season in 2008, Venice was starting to really be talked about as a State Title contender last year, “We lost to Charlotte in the 2nd round, a team we beat 56-26 in the regular season. Hopefully that happened for a reason, to make us better next year. We want a State Championship, we are a community school, we have been together forever, that is goal and we have worked as hard as possible to achieve that goal in 2009. We need a couple of pieces to come together and we should be a tough team to send home.”

Go Gophers!!

Excited for the prospect, but attempting to read that was painful. The writers for sunstatefootball.com must have graduated from Madison.

Wilkinson?

Sounds like a good kid!

Sounds like he is meant to be a Gopher. I'm not sure of the spelling of our Charles "Bud" Wilkinson's last name, but if not the same, it's too darn close for him not to be a Gopher.

The part about the 3.8 GPA should be in bold as well. I like it.

Excited for the prospect, but attempting to read that was painful. The writers for sunstatefootball.com must have graduated from Madison.

It was painful wasn't it. I simply stopped trying to sort out which details belonged to which kid about half way through.

“I played last year at 6'3, 185, we have weigh ins on Monday and yesterday I was 6'4.5, 215. The weight is really starting to come, who knows what I will be at next year.”

Almost 6'5"? This kid could definitely put on another 20 to 25 pounds!! Great size for a DE. I like the part about him having a "defensive mentality on the field, I like to get after it.” Hope he's serious about giving the Gophs a shot. Get him up here for a game in the new stadium and he's sold!!!

per this update from SunStateFootball.com:

Venice's Brandon Wilkinson had a tremendous junior campaign with 70 tackles, 15 sacks, and 2 fumble recoveries. The 6'4.5, 215 pound athlete played Defensive End as a junior after having been a Tight End as a sophomore where he flashed some big time potential. Recently, Wilkinson reeled in his first BCS offer. Minnesota extended that offer on Monday.

”I am real excited, Minnesota is an up and coming Big 10 school with a brand new stadium and a great coaching staff. I can't be happier.” The Gophers were Wilkinson's first D-1 offer, but there have been many schools interested in the talented pass rusher. UCF, FAU, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, South Florida, Georgia Tech, and Florida State have all been in contact this Spring.

Where does a school like Minnesota stand? “I will always remember they were first to offer and they will get one of my official visits for sure. Everything I have read about Minnesota looks real good, the weather won't bother me, I am excited to get up there and check it out.”

We talked about how he will handle the process, “I will take all five visits almost certainly. I don't really have a childhood favorite or anything like that, I want to see who wants me, do my homework about that school, and try to make the best decision.” With a 3.8 GPA, he can go anywhere in the country to play football, “Academics are important to me, I am not sure which direction I want to go in terms of a major, but hopefully I will get a better idea and that will factor into my decision.”

Trey Burton made a very early commitment to Florida, but Venice has a number of quality prospects for next year including TE Beckett Wales, C Brian O'Leary, and RB/S Justin Grant, does Brandon think he could go to school with a team mate? “That would be great, we are very close, but we are individuals and will have to wait and see who is really interested in each of us. Obviously, I would love to play with those guys if the right situation came along.”

Many have projected Wilkinson to the TE spot, but that is not the case, “They are recruiting me at Defensive End, in fact, most schools are recruiting me there. That is where I want to play, I have a defensive mentality on the field, I like to get after it.” Physically, Brandon could play either and he is really starting to come into his own, “I played last year at 6'3, 185, we have weigh ins on Monday and yesterday I was 6'4.5, 215. The weight is really starting to come, who knows what I will be at next year.”

That is a lot of weight gain from late November to late April, "I did not play basketball this year so I could finally focus on the weights and football training. As a team, we have really put the hours in this off-season."

It is Wilkinson's all around athleticism that has attracted schools to check him out. He has a great first step for his size and you can't talk to a Venice player without them mentioning what a tremendous athlete he is.

With Burton's commit to UF and an undefeated regular season in 2008, Venice was starting to really be talked about as a State Title contender last year, “We lost to Charlotte in the 2nd round, a team we beat 56-26 in the regular season. Hopefully that happened for a reason, to make us better next year. We want a State Championship, we are a community school, we have been together forever, that is goal and we have worked as hard as possible to achieve that goal in 2009. We need a couple of pieces to come together and we should be a tough team to send home.”

Go Gophers!!

bleed, thanks for the story, but do you think that you could provide a link from now on. i like to read the actual story, see pictures and look for any links or other interesting peripheral information in the original.

thanks

The best thing about this article is that it really shows how much attention the U is getting. This is a HS Junior in a state filled with talented college football teams, and he already knows we're up and coming, have a great coaching staff, and a new stadium.

We may very well be the fad of the Big Ten right now. It's a great opportunity to ride that to the top tier.

Thanks Bleed! I enjoy your posts considering the majority of them are insider info and unlike some people that enjoy reading headlines only, I thank you for posting your finds

The best thing about this article is that it really shows how much attention the U is getting. This is a HS Junior in a state filled with talented college football teams, and he already knows we're up and coming, have a great coaching staff, and a new stadium.

We may very well be the fad of the Big Ten right now. It's a great opportunity to ride that to the top tier.

Rather, it shows that the U was the first school to offer him. Nothing more, nothing less.

This cannot be taken as some sort of referendum on the national attention the U is receiving. The quotes he gave were no doubt an amalgamation of things the coaching staff has said to him during the course of recruitment.

What it does indicate, however, is further proof that Brewster is willing to go into Texas, Florida, and California and go after good players with whom he realistically has a shot. This in stark contrast to the previous regime, whose recruiting MO was to take the Ohio St/Penn St leftovers from OH/NJ, and supplement them with a side dish of MN players no other D-IA program wanted.

You're such a downer. Take your happy pills and STFU with your negativity. Have a nice day. ;)

You're such a downer. Take your happy pills and STFU with your negativity. Have a nice day. ;)

Not negative at all. Just stating the facts.

I'm as excited for the present and future of Gopher football as anyone. I just prefer my exuberance to be grounded in reality, rather than based on blind, pie-in-the-sky optimism.

Top Bottom