Philip Nelson Is Leaving The Gopher Program UPDATED 1/29: Transferring to Rutgers

Interesting, didn't he play a similar offense in high school, or am I remembering incorrectly?

I am surprised, but a part of me sees it a little bit. He may feel like he's a guy who needs throwing reps to get a rhythm and that could be part of the reason for his inconsistencies. Some QBs aren't good at handling the situation where you're only asked to throw about 15 times a game, harder to get into a rhythm or whatever.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure they'd pass more if they had more weapons to pass to, but the way this team is built, it's gonna be hard to do, though I personally would like to see more from the aerial attack either way.

Well, this opens it up for Leidner, no doubt about it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Damn how many other ppl transferring ? The program is progressing</p>— Rest Up Fela (@Mucho_Deniro) <a href="https://twitter.com/Mucho_Deniro/statuses/423942442862526465">January 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Normally, I root for kids from MN (who do or don't play for the Gophers) to succeed in the future. It's hard for me to do that in this case. It's pretty evident he is putting himself above the team, and we don't need anyone like that when we are trying to build this program brick by brick.

I'm not that bummed as others. I wasn't high on Nelson from the get-go. Losing experience hurts more than his talent imo. Hope one of the young kids are going to be ready.

Hard to see any reason why Nelson wouldn't figure he could be the starting qb on an up and coming Big Ten(the one he chose to play for) team for the next two years. It makes one wonder.

Is this a loss? Yes, he has the most experience of any QB on the roster. However, lets look at this objectively. The two QBs were arguably very close last year. We end up keeping the one with more eligibility. Could be a good thing in the end if Leidner continues to develop. Or, perhaps this leaves the door open for someone else in the next two years and they won't have to unseat an upperclassman who started since he was a freshman.

Looking at the positives.

Yes. It's a loss. A pretty big one. This team won 4 B1G games in a row for the 1st time in 40 years, and he started all 4. His lack of consistancy was frustrating, but you can't spin this as 'no big deal.'

Normally, I root for kids from MN (who do or don't play for the Gophers) to succeed in the future. It's hard for me to do that in this case. It's pretty evident he is putting himself above the team, and we don't need anyone like that when we are trying to build this program brick by brick.

Run him over with that bus Gopherocious, the GH tearing apart of Nelson has begun!

What skill set? Complete a five yard pass consistently and get back to me. What a joke.

Is this a loss? Yes, he has the most experience of any QB on the roster. However, lets look at this objectively. The two QBs were arguably very close last year. We end up keeping the one with more eligibility. Could be a good thing in the end if Leidner continues to develop. Or, perhaps this leaves the door open for someone else in the next two years and they won't have to unseat an upperclassman who started since he was a freshman.

Looking at the positives.

I think it is. It will probably mean that Steveler has no choice but to stay at QB. And when you're in a situation where players have to stay at a position because of need, not talent, then it is a problem, especially when it is at a very important position like QB.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Good call, <a href="https://twitter.com/Huckstar12">@Huckstar12</a>. He tweeted on Oct. 18 that Nelson would transfer and cited Mankato. We'll see if the 2nd part turns out right.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/423941758423027713">January 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can the Gophers lock Leidner in the film room and let him out only to go to the weight room and throw? Just slide new film and food under the door.

I have to think this hurts recruiting some of those kids that are on the fence (ragnow, jones, holland)

We were so close to having an upperclassman as QB. Shows you just never know with 18-22 year olds. Someone check on e. bigelow!

LOL! HAHA! I am still alive. Just at work still!

Honestly very surprised! The most surprising thing was that he wants to transfer somewhere that "For me, I am looking to play in a system that centers more around the pass game which utilizes my skill sets. I am excited to go out and meet with programs that match up with my talents.". WAT?! I mean I am certainly a PN9 supporter, but apparently he thinks he is a much better passer than his statistics show. I am certainly dissapointed. But, hopefully this settles the #QBGAZE2014 for good.

I will be interested to hear what Coach Kill has to say on the situation.

I think it is. It will probably mean that Steveler has no choice but to stay at QB. And when you're in a situation where players have to stay at a position because of need, not talent, then it is a problem, especially when it is at a very important position like QB.

Not to make this about Streveler, but does he not have the talent to be a QB? Or was their talk of moving him to WR because he has so much talent, it can't sit on the sidelines? I agree with you that this is a loss. Mostly because he had the experience, proved he could win B1G games, and would have challenged the other QBs on the depth chart for playing time.

I am also concerned about this news coming out before signing day. I mean, he wasn't even on the watch list for transferring aside from people on this board who magically predicted such a possibility correctly. I am guessing the QB convo changed a bunch after the bowl game. This time last year, he was the guy. Yesterday it was a big fat "?" and clearly a lot of his teammates did not see this coming.

After his performance in the bowl game it is hard to get too worked up about this, though it will hurt our QB depth and possibly recruiting the next 2 weeks. At least Leidner knows he has an excellent opportunity in front of him. He has nearly the entire offseason to work on his game to be THE guy come fall. Hopefully he can be our guy until we land Seth Green!

I have to think this hurts recruiting some of those kids that are on the fence (ragnow, jones, holland)
That's my only concern. Other than that I can't say I'm really that worried about it. Been team Leidner since week 3 or 4.

This is shocking. His explanation doesn't make much sense. If he was a proven QB and we just didn't pass that much I could understand, but he had a lot to work on to even deserve the chance to throw more. Oh well. We could really use a JUCO QB for depth.

No matter how you look at it he was our most experienced qb.

This goes back to my question after the bowl. Do we have issue with our QBs coach? I know they developed Chandler Harnish...and gave Jordan Lynch the stepping stones..but our QBS play has been VERY suspect and now our most quality QBS is transferring???

This also brings up the topic of do college teams need to start recruiting players WHO ARE ALREADY ON THE TEAM to stay and play? Really?

Can it go back to last summer, when Phillip wanted to go to a QB camp, but the coaches talked him into staying to go through informal workouts?

Not surprising as much as it seems at first. Also, not that disappointing either. He's a young guy that is extremely confident. Probably beyond his skill level. He had every chance to start and succeed but could not consistently hit the open receiver. Is this a function of the system or the QB's skill set?

I'm sure it's easy for a 20 year old to convince himself that if the system were pass first, he would never overthrow or underthrow a wide open Maxx Williams by 20 yards. I'm not so sure. Clearly, however, being a starting QB under the Kill system will never get you to the top of NCAA passing rankings. On the other hand, if he were as amazing as he might think he is, he might have made Kill adjust the system.

Good luck to him. He was fun to watch, contributed to the program, and left with some class.

More from nelsons dad:
http://m.startribune.com/?id=240624351
Nelson played in just three series in the bowl game loss to Syracuse. Asked if frustration over that led to the decision, Pat Nelson said, “This whole entire conversation started a long time ago. The bowl game had nothing to do with it.”

The more I think about this the more excited I get for Leidner. He is the better option for what we want to do and now he'll get the chance to be the only QB and to gain some confidence with regular playing time.

Here's the release from the U:

Nelson To Transfer From Minnesota

Head football coach Jerry Kill announced today that sophomore quarterback Philip Nelson will transfer from the University of Minnesota.

“Philip is a terrific young man, and I wish him all the best as he continues his education and football career elsewhere,” said Kill, who is on the road recruiting. “I want to thank Philip for the contributions he made to our football program both on and off the field, and I will do anything I can to help him both now and in the future.”

Top Bottom