Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

There is no way Martin is only 6-3 and 205 pounds

Agreed, OLB Coughlin 6'4 212- ILB Barber 6'1 225- OLB Martin 6'3 205

all are pretty quick, fast and strong

I would be willing to bet that Martin is now same height as Coughlin 6-4 and he is at least 235 by now, there is no way he is 205. I think watching both films, my opinion is that Martin would take on blocks better in the middle and Barber would be better running laterally chasing down the line. My Opinion is that Martin will be the Mike as I think he can pick up the defense and call it after playing QB.
Doesn't matter though, all three look strong and fast for High School kids, this group is already physically advanced compared to the other guys that have come in the last five or so years. They will be a good to one of the better group of linebackers we have had if their talent ends up where it is projected.
Barber and Martin both look like Mikes to me, but the difference I think will be being able to read and make the calls. I think Martin seems to lead on the field more, and is more take charge than Barber, but that is just an opinion.

I would be willing to bet that Martin is now same height as Coughlin 6-4 and he is at least 235 by now, there is no way he is 205. I think watching both films, my opinion is that Martin would take on blocks better in the middle and Barber would be better running laterally chasing down the line. My Opinion is that Martin will be the Mike as I think he can pick up the defense and call it after playing QB.
Doesn't matter though, all three look strong and fast for High School kids, this group is already physically advanced compared to the other guys that have come in the last five or so years. They will be a good to one of the better group of linebackers we have had if their talent ends up where it is projected.
Barber and Martin both look like Mikes to me, but the difference I think will be being able to read and make the calls. I think Martin seems to lead on the field more, and is more take charge than Barber, but that is just an opinion.

Guessing with Barbers pedigree, he will be able to pick up pretty much any type of defense calls that are needed. The good news is that really all three won't be expected to contribute much, if at all next year with the senior linebackers that we will have. Let them all get bigger, faster, stronger for a year and the coaches will put them in the best position to succeed. But with the potential that these players have, I am excited to see what they develope into!

The Martin info is old - he's more like 230-235 now. The only issue I see is that Barber and Martin are both built like MLBs.

Martin was a completely different player from junior to senior year. Definitely preparing well for the chance to step right in and contribute.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lloyd Cushenberry looks like a lot better than a 2 star offensive lineman.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/1931006/highlights/294945416' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/1931006/highlights/294945416' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Weird to say, but watching this was like watching fake Michael Oher in the movie 'The Blind Side'.
BIG dude, who doesn't seem too quick but they do pull him in run plays, if he could maintain wait or
even shed 10 lbs, seems like he'd be a real force for college. Just need a slightly quicker step and I
think he'd be ready.

Finally some good news with recruiting.

GI reports that JUCO Guard Vincent Calhoun has cancelled a scheduled visit to Miss. State. Hope that means that he is solid to the Gophers.

Here are the "Uncommitted Visitors" this weekend. There are some surprises here. Comments:

Name…………………… School……………………………………………………….. Position.. Ht/Wt…. School/Interest

Kris Weatherspoon. Hinds C.C. (Raymond, MS)………………………… S…………… 6-1/195… Troy

Tai'yon Devers……… Georgia Prep Sports Academy (Atlanta, GA)* WDE…….. 6-4/225… Cool

Elijah Battle………….. Dodge City C.C. (Dodge City, KS)*……………… CB………… 6-1/190… West Virginia

Amir Watts………….. Phillips Academy (Chicago, IL)*………………… DT………… 6-3/270… Warm+5 others

Antoine Winfield Jr. The Woodlands (The Woodlands, TX)……...* S…………… 5-9.5/183. Cool+11 others

Lloyd Cushenberry.. Dutchtown (Geismar, LA)*………………………… OG……….. 6-3/310… South Carolina

This Cushenberry sure looks like he can drive people off the ball and get up field.

My kind of lineman, drives people off the line of scrimmage and then gets up the field to block somebody else. I know it's a highlight film, but get him to drop about 15 to 20 pounds to improve endurance, and maintain that ability to run so that he can continue pull in college.
This kid looks like he can play, he has some flash to him. Let him develop and you have your left tackle to protect the QB for four years after that red-shirt year.

My kind of lineman, drives people off the line of scrimmage and then gets up the field to block somebody else. I know it's a highlight film, but get him to drop about 15 to 20 pounds to improve endurance, and maintain that ability to run so that he can continue pull in college.
This kid looks like he can play, he has some flash to him. Let him develop and you have your left tackle to protect the QB for four years after that red-shirt year.

not sure why people want him to drop weight??? everywhere iv seen hes listed 310 lbs..

We need big galoots that can move nimbly that can be amenable to multiple offensive schemes.

Does anyone know for sure why Sean Foster de-committed?

We need big galoots that can move nimbly that can be amenable to multiple offensive schemes.

He was asked to reopen his recruitment by MN staff. Been mentioned in a few threads.

Too slow? Does not fit Claeys Offensive scheme?

Too slow? Does not fit Claeys Offensive scheme?

Someone else who subscribes to one of the pay sites might have a better answer to this. What I have seen on Twitter and other places is that Claeys watched a lot of Foster against a Chicago Dlineman he is recruiting (I believe Amir Watts) and that the Dlineman was dominating the match-up to the point that it soured Claeys on Foster. Others have also said that the OL scheme is going to change where we will need our tackles to move better than Foster has shown he is capable of. I am a little skeptical of that line of thinking because if someone has the information as to how our offense is going to change, then it stands to reason they would also know who was going to be coaching that offense.

Clarion Ledger: Memphis QB commit hearing from Minnesota

Memphis is making a push to keep its quarterback of the future on board.

Three-star Laurel product Keon Howard remains committed to the Tigers despite former Memphis coach Justin Fuente leaving for Virginia Tech at the end of November. Current co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Brad Cornelson and incoming head coach Mike Norvell remain in contact and are making it clear to Howard that he's a priority in 2016.

"I'm still solid with Memphis because me and coach Mike Norvell talk everyday," Howard said. "We literally talk every day. He texted me (Tuesday) and said 'sign and grind.' He's a great coach and we're building our relationship real fast."

But another school is in pursuit of the Dandy Dozen quarterback. Minnesota, which was among Howard's top four when committed to the Tigers in August, conducted an in-home visit last week.

"They know Coach Fuente left and my mind isn't made up, so they're coming after me real hard," he said. "We talked about the quarterback they got now and he's going to be a senior next year. I can go into Minnesota my freshman year, get redshirted and learn the program. (The next) year, I'd get to fight for the starting job."

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...memphis-qb-commit-hearing-minnesota/77036084/

Go Gophers!!

per Greder:

The Gophers football team is seeking to round out its recruiting class with junior college players, and the first reward came Wednesday.

Three-star defensive tackle Merrick Jackson of Iowa Western Community College announced he would be a part of Minnesota's 2016 recruiting class.

Jackson, who is 6 feet 2 and 320 pounds, said his recruitment came down to Iowa State and Minnesota.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_29227057/gophers-land-iowa-western-dt-merrick-jackson

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There is a reason his offers since we parted ways with him are Ball St., Iowa St., and Purdue. Do you want to be like those teams on the field? If not, don't lose any sleep over it. This will be one of the best o-line recruiting classes in recent memory.

Someone else who subscribes to one of the pay sites might have a better answer to this. What I have seen on Twitter and other places is that Claeys watched a lot of Foster against a Chicago Dlineman he is recruiting (I believe Amir Watts) and that the Dlineman was dominating the match-up to the point that it soured Claeys on Foster. Others have also said that the OL scheme is going to change where we will need our tackles to move better than Foster has shown he is capable of. I am a little skeptical of that line of thinking because if someone has the information as to how our offense is going to change, then it stands to reason they would also know who was going to be coaching that offense.

The head coach determines the scheme. He then finds a coordinator who is adept at running his scheme. Not the other way around

There's an excellent analysis on the Daily Gopher http://www.thedailygopher.com/2015/12/7/9861788/on-claeys-and-offensive-philosophy Seperate from the analysis I don't think Claeys is a fan of extra tall linemen.

There is a reason his offers since we parted ways with him are Ball St., Iowa St., and Purdue. Do you want to be like those teams on the field? If not, don't lose any sleep over it. This will be one of the best o-line recruiting classes in recent memory.

But 4 stars

Didn't foster say he had 28 offers? Thought I read that somewhere. Not that all recruits are honest or good at math.

Edit: it was a recent chicago tribune article after foster decommitted from the U. The reference to 28 was the numbers of offers foster said he had at the time he committed to the U

Clarion Ledger: Memphis QB commit hearing from Minnesota

Memphis is making a push to keep its quarterback of the future on board.

Three-star Laurel product Keon Howard remains committed to the Tigers despite former Memphis coach Justin Fuente leaving for Virginia Tech at the end of November. Current co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Brad Cornelson and incoming head coach Mike Norvell remain in contact and are making it clear to Howard that he's a priority in 2016.

"I'm still solid with Memphis because me and coach Mike Norvell talk everyday," Howard said. "We literally talk every day. He texted me (Tuesday) and said 'sign and grind.' He's a great coach and we're building our relationship real fast."

But another school is in pursuit of the Dandy Dozen quarterback. Minnesota, which was among Howard's top four when committed to the Tigers in August, conducted an in-home visit last week.

"They know Coach Fuente left and my mind isn't made up, so they're coming after me real hard," he said. "We talked about the quarterback they got now and he's going to be a senior next year. I can go into Minnesota my freshman year, get redshirted and learn the program. (The next) year, I'd get to fight for the starting job."

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...memphis-qb-commit-hearing-minnesota/77036084/

Go Gophers!!

Surprised this story has not garnered more interest. People seem to think Seth Green is nearly a sure thing, I can't imagine either of these guys wants to come here if the other commits, correct? If that is the case, either Green is not a lock, or they'd prefer Keon Howard. Curious what others think.

Surprised this story has not garnered more interest. People seem to think Seth Green is nearly a sure thing, I can't imagine either of these guys wants to come here if the other commits, correct? If that is the case, either Green is not a lock, or they'd prefer Keon Howard. Curious what others think.

I think the coaches understand there is a severe lack of QB depth on this team. There's also the chance Seth Green doesn't pan out at QB.

Top Bottom