Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OhioState?src=hash">#OhioState</a> just offered 2016 Minnesota linebacker Carter Coughlin (<a href="https://twitter.com/Cmoe34">@Cmoe34</a>) moments ago <a href="https://twitter.com/MarcGivlerBG">@MarcGivlerBG</a></p>— Ryan Burns (@RyanBurnsGI) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsGI/statuses/506617737011945472">September 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OhioState?src=hash">#OhioState</a> just offered 2016 Minnesota linebacker Carter Coughlin (<a href="https://twitter.com/Cmoe34">@Cmoe34</a>) moments ago <a href="https://twitter.com/MarcGivlerBG">@MarcGivlerBG</a></p>— Ryan Burns (@RyanBurnsGI) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsGI/statuses/506617737011945472">September 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

Coincidentally, we just cooled on him.

Sooner or later one of these kids needs to become the one that turns the tide against leaving for the helmets. Stay home and become endeared as the one who helped raise the U back to prominence.

Sooner or later one of these kids needs to become the one that turns the tide against leaving for the helmets. Stay home and become endeared as the one who helped raise the U back to prominence.

Jonah Pirsig and Rasheed Hageman both did.

Neither turned the tide

That doesn't make any sense. Your initial statement was "Sooner or later one of these kids needs to become the one that turns the tide against leaving for the helmets." Thus, your definition of "turning the tide" was not "leaving for the helmets". Both of those players, along with Andre McDonald, "turned the tide" and didn't leave for helmet school offers, meeting that standard. So now your moving target is that they have to meet some arbitrary definition of success in order to have "turned the tide"? Sure, it's difficult to meet your standard if you change the definition to suit your agenda.

Coughlin is taking an unofficial to OSU this weekend. http://247sports.com/Player/Carter-Coughlin-57328

We keep plenty of Minnesota kids home. The problem is that there aren't enough of them.

That doesn't make any sense. Your initial statement was "Sooner or later one of these kids needs to become the one that turns the tide against leaving for the helmets." Thus, your definition of "turning the tide" was not "leaving for the helmets". Both of those players, along with Andre McDonald, "turned the tide" and didn't leave for helmet school offers, meeting that standard. So now your moving target is that they have to meet some arbitrary definition of success in order to have "turned the tide"? Sure, it's difficult to meet your standard if you change the definition to suit your agenda.

Don't have any personal agenda Dpo- just wish that year after year we wouldn't lose top Minny kids to outside schools. I hope for the day that one of them is enough of a galvanizing and inspirational force to induce other high profile kids to stay home and "close the borders". A naive thought I admit, but not one born out of any personal agenda.

We keep plenty of Minnesota kids home. The problem is that there aren't enough of them.

I don't necessarily think this is true. If you look at the MN kids playing around the country and add them to our roster, we're looking at adding some great pieces to a and already solid squad. The kids who are going to change the tide are the kids who are 8-12 years old right now. They need to grow up in a culture of MN winning games and having consistent success. The guys who are committing now have seen 2-3 years of success since they were in elementary school and honestly only one year that was truly exciting for the average fan since MBIII and Maroney were in town (last year). Current seniors in HS were 8-9 years old when Maroney was a 1st Round pick. I'm 22 and the only reason I can remember as far back as the '99 season is because my family has had season tix since I was 4. My point being is that for these kids to want to come here across the board and "change the tide", there needs to be a buzz around the team for the average football fan when these recruits are young so that playing for the Gophs is something they dream about before anyone knows who they are. Just my opinion but I think Jerry is creating that buzz and the team is headed in the right direction. Hopefully some of these guys in HS come here now but the real impact of winning and excitement these next few seasons will be on the MN kids who will graduate in 5-6 years.

I don't necessarily think this is true. If you look at the MN kids playing around the country and add them to our roster, we're looking at adding some great pieces to a and already solid squad. The kids who are going to change the tide are the kids who are 8-12 years old right now. They need to grow up in a culture of MN winning games and having consistent success. The guys who are committing now have seen 2-3 years of success since they were in elementary school and honestly only one year that was truly exciting for the average fan since MBIII and Maroney were in town (last year). Current seniors in HS were 8-9 years old when Maroney was a 1st Round pick. I'm 22 and the only reason I can remember as far back as the '99 season is because my family has had season tix since I was 4. My point being is that for these kids to want to come here across the board and "change the tide", there needs to be a buzz around the team for the average football fan when these recruits are young so that playing for the Gophs is something they dream about before anyone knows who they are. Just my opinion but I think Jerry is creating that buzz and the team is headed in the right direction. Hopefully some of these guys in HS come here now but the real impact of winning and excitement these next few seasons will be on the MN kids who will graduate in 5-6 years.

I showed this earlier, but last year 50% of the top 20 high school players in Florida left the state. Some kids want to get away for college. But let's look at the top MN players that we have offered since Kill has been here, beginning with the 2012class, and see who has stayed and who has left.

2012:
1. Jonah Pirsig (stayed), 2. Andre McDonaled (stayed), 3. Will Johnson (left), 4. Isaac Hayes (stayed), 5. Maxx Williams (stayed), 6. Mitch Leidner (stayed), 7. Phil Nelson (stayed), 8. Nick Rallis (stayed), 9. Duke (stayed), 10. Ben Lauer (stayed)

2013: 1. James Onwualu (left), 2. Malik Rucker (left), 3. Keelon Brookins (left), 4. Chris Wipson (stayed)

2014: 1. Jeff Jones (stayed), 2. JC Hassenauer (left), 3. Frank Ragnow (left), 4. Andrew Stelter (stayed), 5. Brandon Lingen (stayed)

2015: 1. Jashon Cornell (left) 2. Bronson Dovich (stayed), 3. Nick Connelly (stayed), 4. Drayton Carlberg, unknown

So to recap how many MN players we landed that we offered:

1. 2012: landed 90% (9/10)
2. 2013: landed 25% (1/4)
3. 2014: landed 60% (3/5)
4. 2015 (to date): landed 67% (2/3)

So overall, Kill has successfully recruited 15 of the 22 MN players he has offered, or 68%. If the 3 top Florida schools (FSU, Florida, Miami) only get approximately 50% of the top talent in Florida, what would you realistically expect for Minnesota?68% is pretty good. What we need is more classes like 2012 where there are 10 MN high school players that we can offer.

Of the MN players that Kill missed on, only Onwualu and Ragnow have seen game action, so it's a reach to say that we would be significantly better with these guys on the team.

To touch on John Galt's point, which top MN recruit that the Gophers missed out on over the past 10 years would have really made much of a difference? Michael Floyd is about all that comes to mind.

To touch on John Galt's point, which top MN recruit that the Gophers missed out on over the past 10 years would have really made much of a difference? Michael Floyd is about all that comes to mind.

Beau Allen had a really strong collegiate career.

which top MN recruit that the Gophers missed out on over the past 10 years would have really made much of a difference?

James Laurinaitis
Lydon Murtha
Nate Swift
Alex Robinson
Broderick Binns
David Gilreath
Brendan Kelly
Seantrel Henderson
A.J. Tarpley
Beau Allen (as mentioned)
Tyler Marz
Nick Davidson
Anthony Hayes
Malik Rucker

James Laurinaitis
Lydon Murtha
Nate Swift
Alex Robinson
Broderick Binns
David Gilreath
Brendan Kelly
Seantrel Henderson
A.J. Tarpley
Tyler Marz
Nick Davidson
Anthony Hayes
Malik Rucker

Given that Hayes has seen game action twice in his career as a junior, and that Rucker and Davidson have never seen the field, I wouldn't say that we've missed out on much to this point...

Jeff is really the only huge MN kid that we have gotten to stay home. Lets not compare the Cornell's and the Henderson's to the Pirsig's and Mcdonald's of the world just because they had one or two helmet school offers. Also worth pointing out that Joe Mauer, ESPN #1 ranked recruit in the country committed to Florida State before declaring for the draft.

I showed this earlier, but last year 50% of the top 20 high school players in Florida left the state. Some kids want to get away for college. But let's look at the top MN players that we have offered since Kill has been here, beginning with the 2012class, and see who has stayed and who has left.

2012:
1. Jonah Pirsig (stayed), 2. Andre McDonaled (stayed), 3. Will Johnson (left), 4. Isaac Hayes (stayed), 5. Maxx Williams (stayed), 6. Mitch Leidner (stayed), 7. Phil Nelson (stayed), 8. Nick Rallis (stayed), 9. Duke (stayed), 10. Ben Lauer (stayed)

2013: 1. James Onwualu (left), 2. Malik Rucker (left), 3. Keelon Brookins (left), 4. Chris Wipson (stayed)

2014: 1. Jeff Jones (stayed), 2. JC Hassenauer (left), 3. Frank Ragnow (left), 4. Andrew Stelter (stayed), 5. Brandon Lingen (stayed)

2015: 1. Jashon Cornell (left) 2. Bronson Dovich (stayed), 3. Nick Connelly (stayed), 4. Drayton Carlberg, unknown

So overall, Kill has successfully recruited 15 of the 22 MN players he has offered, or 68%. If the 3 top Florida schools (FSU, Florida, Miami) only get approximately 50% of the top talent in Florida, what would you realistically expect for Minnesota?68% is pretty good. What we need is more classes like 2012 where there are 10 MN high school players that we can offer.

Of the MN players that Kill missed on, only Onwualu and Ragnow have seen game action, so it's a reach to say that we would be significantly better with these guys on the team.

Nice job!

Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumo...

Bingo! We're no longer losing them to WI & IA. The big boys no longer want Notre Dame either. Now the SEC, Oregon, and Ohio State are knocking. Like Kill has said, we aren't playing many MN kids in the B1G. Kill needs even better out of state kids. Elmore, was a huge get.

We had a freshman all-America on the OL last year.

Jonah Pirsig and Rasheed Hageman both did.

Neither turned the tide

It's rare that one player alone is good enough to make a team a contender. Hageman helped to make the team significantly better last year. All of the sudden we found our way out of the cellar......beat Nebraska for the first time in decades......and made it back to .500 in Big Ten play. That has helped to change some of the negative perceptions surrounding the team......and help boost recruiting efforts. That doesn't happen without Hageman, who was heavily recruited, and arguably our most important player last year. I think it's probably fair to say that he was worth a couple game swing on our final record, while also gaining us some visibility in the NFL draft. His impact will last longer than just his time in a Gophers uniform.

Building upon success is what drives teams up and down the national stage. Sign enough of the best in state players and we will see the effects. By saying that we need "one" player to turn the tide is short sighted. Who in recent history could have legitimately "turned the tide" single-handed, in a short-term span? Seantrel? Nope. Floyd? Not by himself, but he probably would have looked pretty good lined up on the other side of Decker, with Weber throwing him the ball. McNeal......Cornell.......Mobley? None would make a big enough impact on their own.

It's also worth noting that Jeff Jones could potentially be one of those highly important, highly recruited in-state kids who makes a significant contribution in helping to push us towards sustained success and top half Big Ten finishes.

James Laurinaitis
Lydon Murtha
Nate Swift
Alex Robinson
Broderick Binns
David Gilreath
Brendan Kelly
Seantrel Henderson
A.J. Tarpley
Tyler Marz
Nick Davidson
Anthony Hayes
Malik Rucker

Don't forget to include Larry Fitzerald who played for Pitt.

I agree. Jerry Kill has been working very hard to promote the Gopher football brand and reach out to the entire state more than any of the previous recent coaches. His Gopher football caravan and indefatigable speaking engagements all over the state in addition to the camps that he holds for young kids mean a lot. He brings goodwill to several communities and a sense that the Gophers are truly their team. Young kids and their parents do take notice.

Don't forget to include Larry Fitzerald who played for Pitt.

I was trying to keep it more recent, where Fitzgerald was almost 15 years ago.

James Laurinaitis
Lydon Murtha
Nate Swift
Alex Robinson
Broderick Binns
David Gilreath
Brendan Kelly
Seantrel Henderson
A.J. Tarpley
Tyler Marz
Nick Davidson
Anthony Hayes
Malik Rucker

This list just reiterates my point. I said top recruit, where a number of these were middle of the pack guys who became very good college players. Sure I would have loved to have them, but were any of these guys program changers? No.

This list just reiterates my point. I said top recruit, where a number of these were middle of the pack guys who became very good college players. Sure I would have loved to have them, but were any of these guys program changers? No.

Well, that's what you should've said then. You said "made much of a difference". All of these guys would've certainly made a difference for the Gophers.

Is Tyler Marz the only Minnesotan starting on another Big Ten team?

I was trying to keep it more recent, where Fitzgerald was almost 15 years ago.

Perhaps not, but many were game changers.

2012:

This is a very good point and by no means am I saying that Kill hasn't been doing a great job of getting in state talent since he's been here and maybe I didn't express that clearly. My point was that in order for us to continue to consistently get the "program changer" as well as the top in-state guys in the future, we need to continue what Jerry is doing and develop a winning culture among students and fans alike across the state. The list that I was thinking of (which has been posted) is full of guys who, as someone else stated, might not be program changers, but were game changers and solid, high-level college players. I wasn't trying to discredit Jerry's efforts. I responded to the comment that there weren't enough MN players. Of the classes you listed, half of them have been able to play in a total of 1 college game. I think the Impact of 2012 will really show this year being that they are now upperclassmen.

Top Bottom