Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

coach kill loves to get families doesnt he???

I was interested in that as well. I'd think it takes some of the guess work out of the type of kid you're getting. Of course, not all the guess, but if one kid was a good teammate and such, it's more likely his brother might be that as well.

Chelsea wide receiver Bailey Edwards, younger brother of Braylon Edwards, gets offers from Minnesota, Kent State

The Gophers first caught a glimpse of a then freshman Bailey while recruiting Berkley two years ago.

“They were focused on my brother, but the coaches they were starting to look at me for the future,” Bailey Edwards said.

The future is now.

On Tuesday, Bailey received an offer from Minnesota. The 6-foot-2, 190-pounder started out his day with a scholarship offer from Kent State to go with previous offers from Western Michigan and Ball State.

But Edwards said the idea playing in Minnesota with his brother is an appealing one.

“It has crossed my mind,” Edwards said, with a laugh. “It’s a great place, great coaching staff and all-around great atmosphere. I’ve visited quite a few times, and watched a lot of their games.”

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/n...s-wide-receiver-visiting-toledo-this-weekend/

Go Gophers!!

Has anyone heard anything a Carter Coughlin? I thought he was supposedly going to make his decision by the end of the month

I was interested in that as well. I'd think it takes some of the guess work out of the type of kid you're getting. Of course, not all the guess, but if one kid was a good teammate and such, it's more likely his brother might be that as well.

I think Coach likes the idea of already having a connection with the Kids parents as well. Already sold them once they can sell it again!

Has anyone heard anything a Carter Coughlin? I thought he was supposedly going to make his decision by the end of the month

He will take one last visit to the U, an overnight one that is essentially an unpaid for official visit early in March and will decide shortly after that.

He will take one last visit to the U, an overnight one that is essentially an unpaid for official visit early in March and will decide shortly after that.

Good to know. Damn it would be nice if we could start off the class with him and Garcia.

Assuming that visit happens, I can at least respect the kid for giving the U a big chance even if he doesn't end up here. What bothers me most is the local kids who kind of string along the local angle, but never really give significant thought to staying home.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

looks a lot stouter than the rest of his family. Whats he projected to be? LB? I wouldnt be surprised if he filled out into DT

I'm guessing inside LB.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/2725717/highlights/204251376' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

I assume he will wait until after basketball season is done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You'd have to think this is almost a commitment on the spot. Do you think Coach Kill waits awhile to make the announcement official for various reasons?

I'm not sure Coughlin's "one last visit to the U," is a very good sign. Seth Green did the same. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm guessing it's to give Kill and Co. one last chance to make a pitch, to make his Dad and Grandpa happy by properly vetting the U, pay his repsects to Coach, then break the news that he's selecting Ohio State.

He knows he is the U's top target, and they won't take anyone else as long as he is on still on the table. He doesn't want to leave Jerry in bad spot recruiting-wise by stringing it along. He wants to break the news to Jerry well in advance of the announcement so he can focus his efforts elsewhere. Also, doing it this early takes the sting out of it, especially if spring practices are under-way to distract the team/fans. By the time the 2016 seaon rolls around, it will be all but forgotten around these parts. He may even get an ovation upon his return to TCF in scarlet and silver (see Jashon Cornell....they had to have discussed this on his official visit when they were hanging out. Him leaving was news for about 5 minutes on blogs. Reid Travis was basically on the 10 o'clock news, even Ragnow got significant backlash).

He's a smart kid, he knows how to play it so he doesn't turn into a villain like Travis or Ragnow with their announcement buffoonary. He's already said he's not having a press conference. It's different here. It's not California or Texas or Ohio. It pisses people off when you announce you're going elsewhere in a room full of Minnesotans. We have a strong sense of community and pride. We feel betrayed, in some way. He's aware of that.

I think if he's picking the U, he would set up a press conference at EP high school, and make it special for his father, grandfather, coaches, and teammates. He would want to be celebrated as a hometown hero, not to mention it would be good PR for other recruits. Refraining from breaking Gophers fans hearts by being a selfish spot-light hog, ala Ragnow, is a very classy move, in my opinion. I commend him for it. Most kids don't care, and just want to feel like a big shot.

Just my gut feeling. I think his decision has been made for months. Nothin to back it up, but the signs that my disfunctional brain are putting together all point away from the U at this point. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's Golden. Fully expecting it to be one of those Ohio State Universities (aOSU). Which is too bad, because Kill and Co. needed this kid to set a precedent for others, and turn down Oregon and OSU to stay home. It would have been a huge coup.

I'm not sure Coughlin's "one last visit to the U," is a very good sign. Seth Green did the same. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm guessing it's to give Kill and Co. one last chance to make a pitch, to make his Dad and Grandpa happy by properly vetting the U, pay his repsects to Coach, then break the news that he's selecting Ohio State.

He knows he is the U's top target, and they won't take anyone else as long as he is on still on the table. He doesn't want to leave Jerry in bad spot recruiting-wise by stringing it along. He wants to break the news to Jerry well in advance of the announcement so he can focus his efforts elsewhere. Also, doing it this early takes the sting out of it, especially if spring practices are under-way to distract the team/fans. By the time the 2016 seaon rolls around, it will be all but forgotten around these parts. He may even get an ovation upon his return to TCF in scarlet and silver (see Jashon Cornell....they had to have discussed this on his official visit when they were hanging out. Him leaving was news for about 5 minutes on blogs. Reid Travis was basically on the 10 o'clock news, even Ragnow got significant backlash).

He's a smart kid, he knows how to play it so he doesn't turn into a villain like Travis or Ragnow with their announcement buffoonary. He's already said he's not having a press conference. It's different here. It's not California or Texas or Ohio. It pisses people off when you announce you're going elsewhere in a room full of Minnesotans. We have a strong sense of community and pride. We feel betrayed, in some way. He's aware of that.

I think if he's picking the U, he would set up a press conference at EP high school, and make it special for his father, grandfather, coaches, and teammates. He would want to be celebrated as a hometown hero, not to mention it would be good PR for other recruits. Refraining from breaking Gophers fans hearts by being a selfish spot-light hog, ala Ragnow, is a very classy move, in my opinion. I commend him for it. Most kids don't care, and just want to feel like a big shot.

Just my gut feeling. I think his decision has been made for months. Nothin to back it up, but the signs that my disfunctional brain are putting together all point away from the U at this point. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's Golden. Fully expecting it to be one of those Ohio State Universities (aOSU). Which is too bad, because Kill and Co. needed this kid to set a precedent for others, and turn down Oregon and OSU to stay home. It would have been a huge coup.

Yes, because if Seth Green did that its obvious exactly what Carter Coughlin is doing. Just because you get drunk and have relations with farm animals doesn't mean everyone else gets drunk and has relations with farm animals.

My gut tells me the exact opposite of your gut. I think he's Golden.

Whenever I speculate wildly about alternatives, I always make sure to choose the most likely outcome. Then I make up a bunch of crapola to support it. Then when it happens, as it most likely will, I marvel at my own brilliance, blissfully unaware that all I did was play the odds.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think it's a very good sign. His reason for the visit is to get to know the players better which is why he wants to do an overnight. He said he knew the staff, the campus, the University, distance, etc. but wanted to hang out with the players to see if he thought that part would be a good fit. If he was an OSU lock, why bother with this charade?

Garcia, Coughlin, and Barber. One incredible start to a recruiting class!

Garcia, Coughlin, and Barber. One incredible start to a recruiting class!

That will be awesome.

If Carter is the athlete that I hear he is, NFL scouts will find him regardless of where he plays college football.

Why not opt to play in front of family and friends?

Maxx and Ra'Shede both did, and look at where they are.

I hope that he overcomes the allure of playing elsewhere being away from home.

That will be awesome.

If Carter is the athlete that I hear he is, NFL scouts will find him regardless of where he plays college football.

Why not opt to play in front of family and friends?

Maxx and Ra'Shede both did, and look at where they are.

I hope that he overcomes the allure of playing elsewhere being away from home.

We shouldn't need to make this excuse......playing in the Big Ten.

Reid never had his mind made up until the night before. Same as Ragnow for that matter.

Correct. His announcement had been planned in the DLS Gym and it was open to the public. Then he had a change of mind the night before (lot of family pressure to attend Stanford involved), so on the day of his announcement he changed the venue to a smaller room and made it invitation only.

Love the Barber offer. Not the fastest LB but very strong, sheds blockers well and hits like a truck.

The Gophers have now offered 7 in state kids already in this class. Only 4 kids in the 2015 class got offers.

Top Bottom