Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Just to illustrate the math, if you sign all freshmen, redshirt them all and never lose one, then you can only sign 17 players a year, because of the 85 scholarship cap. There is a lot of wiggle room between 17 and 25.

In the "does signing a Juco hurt our depth" question, does a JuCo signee count the same as a Freshman signee when it comes to the 25-players-per-year cap? Just so you can see what I'm talking about...

... say for example that a school only signs JuCos, that's it, no Freshman (I know no school would actually do this, I'm just trying to illustrate my question). So, for the first year they sign 25 Jucos, and they do that for four years in a row, each year signing the 25-person cap and only Juco players. If each Juco can only play two years, that means by year four of doing this you'd only have a max of 50 signees on scholarship. So yes, if a Juco counts against the cap the same way a Freshman signee does, then if you sign a lot of Juco's it can hurt your depth quite a bit.
Yes they count the same but early enrollees can count back towards the previous years recruiting class.

Tell me how many JCO recruits WI, IA and NE each signed in 2016. Then tell me how many OHST and MIST signed and then convince me signing JCO is not a sign of weakness in recruiting.

Tell me how many JCO recruits WI, IA and NE each signed in 2016. Then tell me how many OHST and MIST signed and then convince me signing JCO is not a sign of weakness in recruiting.

So you are saying tOSU and MiST are doing better at recruiting. Wow, thanks for the insight. Do you like Alabama's strategy better too?

How about WI, NE and IA? Teams the Gophers have to beat to win the West and salvage some pride.

How about WI, NE and IA? Teams the Gophers have to beat to win the West and salvage some pride.

Wisconsin signs Junior College players, like that bum Tanner McEvoy. I bet the Badgers are devastated that the All Big 10 safety hurt their depth for last year. What a waste!!!!

tOSU signs JuCo players.

Seems like you're moving the goal posts here. Before your argument was that JUCOs hurt depth. Then people gave a rebuttle and so now you're changing tune from "depth" to how it shows we aren't elite recruiters. I think your point was soundly thrashed, so just give up.

Wisconsin signs Junior College players, like that bum Tanner McEvoy. I bet the Badgers are devastated that the All Big 10 safety hurt their depth for last year. What a waste!!!!

Gary Andersen was more of a JuCo guy. McEvoy ended up working for them after failing at QB, but I think the point that the poster makes is recruiting success/stability/depth. I was the guy on a soapbox 20 pages back or so talking about how I'd prefer to use less. Sure, we filled depth issues this year because we were chasing past issues. We'll always be doing the same. In 2 years maybe we'll have a major issue at LB (just for example's sake).

WI/IA/NEB develop their players from day 1 and always have a backup and excellent walk-ons. Nebraska does bring in juco/transfers I think, a little more often, though.

From a standpoint of this year, I can't complain. We can make some noise against a crap schedule and need to not have weaknesses. I'm not saying it's going to destroy the football program in 2 years, but we'd have to be historically good at recruiting our reduced number of freshmen to not have a gaping hole somewhere in a few years...especially since we bring in a lot of raw players. Some position is going to be made up of mostly failed recruits.

I think everyone can agree that it's best to sign high school players. Before this season, we signed 1 JUCO per year for the class of 2015 (Ace Rogers) and 2014 (Cody Poock). The fact is we had some weak recruiting classes on the o-line and lots of attrition. Should we not have signed Calhoun and Wright?

I don't get all the anti-Juco sentiment. I'm not advocating an all-Juco recruiting class - but Jucos are a piece of the puzzle. It's impossible to anticipate injuries, transfers, etc that can impact depth. And, let's face it - some kids you recruit at FR will not pan out.

If a team has an immediate need at a position - say OL or DL - what are they supposed to do - wait two years for their FR to develop, or go out and sign a Juco who is two year older and more physically mature.

As long as it's part of a balanced approach, I have no problem with bringing in 3 or 4 or 5 Jucos in a particular year.

Prediction - if Merrick proves to be a player at DT, or the two Juco OL players step right in and make the offense better, nobody on this board is going to be complaining about Jucos.

Let's face it - you sign a HS player, he develops for two years, then plays major minutes as a JR and SR. Or, you bring in a Juco, and he plays major minutes as a JR & SR. I don't see a big difference. As long as you wind up with a productive player.

I don't get all the anti-Juco sentiment. I'm not advocating an all-Juco recruiting class - but Jucos are a piece of the puzzle. It's impossible to anticipate injuries, transfers, etc that can impact depth. And, let's face it - some kids you recruit at FR will not pan out.

If a team has an immediate need at a position - say OL or DL - what are they supposed to do - wait two years for their FR to develop, or go out and sign a Juco who is two year older and more physically mature.

As long as it's part of a balanced approach, I have no problem with bringing in 3 or 4 or 5 Jucos in a particular year.

Prediction - if Merrick proves to be a player at DT, or the two Juco OL players step right in and make the offense better, nobody on this board is going to be complaining about Jucos.

Let's face it - you sign a HS player, he develops for two years, then plays major minutes as a JR and SR. Or, you bring in a Juco, and he plays major minutes as a JR & SR. I don't see a big difference. As long as you wind up with a productive player.

Yeah, no one complained about Damian Wilson, DeVondre Campbell, Boddy-Calhoun and Poock. These guys certainly helped us win games and become a better program.

If they can start and are better than another player... juco or not, get the dude, play the dude.

You should look at the top JUCOs signed every year. Alabama signed two guys in the top 55 this year, TCU signed five in the top 100. Mississippi St and Arizona St have had good success with it the last few years.

It's one thing to be signing 5-6 every year. That has never been the case with Minnesota. There was a bump in the number this year but that won't be the trend going forward.

Most of the recent transfers have been very successful for the Gophers so I'm not sure why it is a problem.

Will these same people be complaining about JUCOs when our new OG's solidify the OL this season?

Imagine the nerve of Coach Claeys. Bringing in guys he believes will help him win now...in his first head coaching job...a job where everyone thinks he's on a very short leash...the nerve!!! Sigh

Imagine the nerve of Coach Claeys. Bringing in guys he believes will help him win now...in his first head coaching job...a job where everyone thinks he's on a very short leash...the nerve!!! Sigh

If Coach is only bringing the Juco guys in to keep the short leash from snapping, he's doing it for the wrong reasons. If he's bringing in some proven talent to play in the short term (at some strategic positions) to allow younger guys to get more seasoning, now you have my attention.

If Coach is only bringing the Juco guys in to keep the short leash from snapping, he's doing it for the wrong reasons. If he's bringing in some proven talent to play in the short term (at some strategic positions) to allow younger guys to get more seasoning, now you have my attention.

why not both?

This has probably been asked, but I'm too lazy to look for it. Are any guys who may have been caught in the numbers game (had their scholarship offers pulled at the last minute at high profile schools) visiting this weekend?

Carlton Djam? New PWO walk-on - the rivals folks had reported it. Any other info on him?

What is the longest time from NSD that the Gophers have ever signed a late recruit?

Do you think they are still looking to see if someone falls off somebody's over signings?

Unless they are going to bank the scholies for the next class.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom