Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Are we recruiting him as a QB or WR/DB?

QB. He reminds me of Dimonic Mckinzy in a way. More of a scrambler than a runner and a lot of his highlights are on the move or out of the pocket. Throws a deep ball with ease. He's one of those guys that has the tools but it's up to the staff to evaluate in camp or otherwise to see if he has the chops to run a college offense, because it's not really apparent from the film. In terms of QB prospects from MN, he's definitely one of the most intriguing ones we've had in the past decade, but that's more due to the dearth of QB talent than anything (Nelson, Alipate, Phil Haig, and Weber were the only QBs really recruited nationally since 05). I'd be curious to see what the buzz on Martin would have been had he played at one of the bigger programs in the metro area instead of Burnsville. That might work to our advantage though.

I would think QB. Don't think we will offer until summer camp if we do offer.

Diehard-what's the word for potential QB's in this 2016 class? Martin looks impressive on his highlight film-seemingly came out of no where this year. I believe he had tried to transfer to Cretin last summer, but went back to Burnsville. Any other names you have on the radar for potential Gopher 2016 QB's?

Diehard-what's the word for potential QB's in this 2016 class? Martin looks impressive on his highlight film-seemingly came out of no where this year. I believe he had tried to transfer to Cretin last summer, but went back to Burnsville. Any other names you have on the radar for potential Gopher 2016 QB's?

We offered Minneapolis North QB Tyler Johnson but thats more as an athlete/DB plus I think Iowa offering this soon may have forced us to offer him sooner than we may have liked. We've shown some interest in some pretty highly regarded guys so far but none of them are probably realistic.

Gopher Jr Day is Saturday, January 31st. Any lists out there on who's attending? I read that QB's Martin-Burnsville and Pink-Elk River have been invited. Also, Martin is attending Wyoming Jr Day, Miami of Ohio and Iowa State are in communication with him. Pink is attending Iowa and Illinois Jr Days, will miss Minnesota's due to a basketball game.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Martin certainly looks like someone to keep an eye on.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/3390917/highlights/195460386' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Martin certainly looks like someone to keep an eye on.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/athlete/3390917/highlights/195460386' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reminds me of Braxton Miller when he was playing at Huber Heights Wayne.

Don't know if this has been said but I read that Michigan State has started to show interest in Kamal and i'm sure more will soon as well. Hopefully Jovanny can turn into a bit of a recruiter for us and start talking to some of these local kids in that class. 2016 has the potential to be a really good one.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I just find this stuff pretty amazing that this coach was just coaching the National Championship game three days ago. 24/7/365

I just find this stuff pretty amazing that this coach was just coaching the National Championship game three days ago. 24/7/365

Yeah, he never came here to visit Seth Green, so that tells you something about how Oregon rates him.

Yeah, he never came here to visit Seth Green, so that tells you something about how Oregon rates him.

Actually that alone doesn't tell you anything. There are numerous factors as to why Helfrich is visiting Coughlin but not Green.

Can you share those factors with us?

Sure. Let me preface this with the fact that I am not an NCAA rules aficionado but the main factor I can think of is Green committing during the season. Helfrich isnt going to/can't travel during the week in the middle of the season to visit a junior prospect. Another (which in some sense goes hand in hand with the first) I can think of would be NCAA regulations restricting when coaches can visit junior prospects off campus. Was Helfrich even allowed by NCAA regulations to visit a junior prospect prior to the Green's commitment date?

Sure. Let me preface this with the fact that I am not an NCAA rules aficionado but the main factor I can think of is Green committing during the season. Helfrich isnt going to/can't travel during the week in the middle of the season to visit a junior prospect. Another (which in some sense goes hand in hand with the first) I can think of would be NCAA regulations restricting when coaches can visit junior prospects off campus. Was Helfrich even allowed by NCAA regulations to visit a junior prospect prior to the Green's commitment date?

Plus maybe he felt he didn't need to recruit Green as hard as Couphlin as Green was already in the bag. Definitely not the case with Coughlin.

Actually that alone doesn't tell you anything. There are numerous factors as to why Helfrich is visiting Coughlin but not Green.
Isn't it possible that he visited Coughlin and Green while in Minnesota?

Technically Coaches cannot meet with Junior commits/prospects during this time. They arrange a meeting with their Head Coach, the Head Coach tells the student athlete to come down to his room and to much of the player's surprise, Coach so & so is sitting there and has a "brief" conversation with player. It's called "bumping" which is legal. Usually it's very choreographed, just like WWE wrestling.

Coach Z was at Elk River this morning meeting with there Head Coach, I wonder if he happened to "bump" into Trent Pink? Also, at Burnsville (Martin) meeting with there head coach. Sounds like Coach Kill & Z are visiting Croft tonight as well.

Jesus...what is this world coming to? It used to be that people bitched about imaginary recruiting from Eden Prairie. Now we've got ACTUAL recruiting from high schools in FL! Ugh...

Top Bottom