Star Tribune Sports Person of the Year: Gophers women's hockey team

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

When the Star Tribune went to pick its 2013 Sportsperson of the Year, the staff knew this was a team worth honoring. But it was tough picking one individual from a group bursting with talent.

Never before had one team produced all three finalists for the Patty Kazmaier Award, which goes to the top player in women’s college hockey. The Gophers not only had the award’s winner, in 100-point scorer Amanda Kessel, but they also boasted the nation’s top goaltender, Noora Raty, and best defenseman, Megan Bozek.

Then there’s coach Brad Frost, who won his second NCAA title in 2013 and has this year’s team off to a 19-1 start. The Gophers have barely skipped a beat even with four players from last year’s team training for the Olympics — Kessel, Bozek and defenseman Lee Stecklein for Team USA, and Raty for Finland.

“I think you need to give a shout-out to Brad Frost and his assistant coaches,” University President Eric Kaler said. “It’s just remarkable to have a winning streak that long. I joke there’s nothing that I can do 62 times without screwing it up, especially in hockey.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/237196451.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom