Minnesota v. Louisville in Puerto Rico - November 14, 2014

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
ESPN has announced that it is official and we now have a date.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Louisville-Minnesota/Pitino vs Pitino in Puerto Rico at Coast Guard Base for 2014 Armed Forces Classic: <a href="http://t.co/lKHsSfW7Vm">http://t.co/lKHsSfW7Vm</a></p>— Andy Katz (@ESPNAndyKatz) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNAndyKatz/statuses/413353646592499713">December 18, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Now we know one team we won't be playing in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge.

Let me guess, we'll get Florida State or Virginia.

We already know the "beef" of the Gophers' 2014-15 nonconference schedule:

vs. Louisville;

Assuming the Gophers win the first 2 rounds at Williams Arena, they're likely to play 2 of Georgia/Gonzaga/Saint John's in the NIT Season Tip-Off. It's a good bet the Gophers will be tagged with the #2 or #3 seed, meaning a possible semifinal (and true road game) vs. Saint John's; and

ACC Challenge opponent TBD, likely on the road.

The eternal question remains, will there be room for a name/recognizable opponent (or two) on the home docket?

Now we know one team we won't be playing in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge.

Let me guess, we'll get Florida State or Virginia.

It could be a lot worse than those two. Namely: Boston College, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, NC State and Wake Forest.

Looking for variety as it relates to the Challenge. BC would be fine. Notre Dame. NC State. Pitt, too.

Would be great to play one of the big boys (Duke, UNC, Syracuse), but Gophers aren't going to get one of those until we earn it. Am fine with that.

Ok Rashad you are guaranteed this game right off the bat next year if you commit to MN...just sayin'

Does anyone know if tickets for an event like this, held at the U.S. Coast Guard Air Station Borinquen in Puerto Rico, will have seating made available for the public? Or is it solely for the Armed Forces?

Ok Rashad you are guaranteed this game right off the bat next year if you commit to MN...just sayin'

Rashad will come, but only if his "mentor" gets to fly one of those rescue helicopters.

I like our chances in this game. Neutral site and Louisville could possibly lose 4 quality players. Russ Smith and Luke Hancock are gone for sure. Harrell and Behanen could be gone as well. We'll lose Austin and Malik. Hopefully Dre stays. We could be potentially starting four seniors. If somehow we landed Vaughn we may actually be favored in this game.

Does anyone know if tickets for an event like this, held at the U.S. Coast Guard Air Station Borinquen in Puerto Rico, will have seating made available for the public? Or is it solely for the Armed Forces?

ha. i was going to ask this question. would be a great 1st time visit to Puerto Rico if this is a public event.

def some awesome pub for us being on the front page of ESPN again. definitely nice having the pull of Rick Pitino to get us in the spotlight

ha. i was going to ask this question. would be a great 1st time visit to Puerto Rico if this is a public event.

Wow didn't even think that the public wouldn't be able to get tickets. I was already looking at rentals on vrbo in San Juan. Anyone know if the public was available to go to the air carrier games or similar games?

Wow didn't even think that the public wouldn't be able to get tickets. I was already looking at rentals on vrbo in San Juan. Anyone know if the public was available to go to the air carrier games or similar games?

I think the first carrier game was military only. Not sure about some of the follow-up ones the next year, I didn't see those on tv. The games in Germany and South Korea looked to only have soldiers there, but to be honest how many people would go to Germany or South Korea just for a basketball game?

I do recall this though...I remember the announcers discussing it during the game in Germany, but Connecticut had a few players from Germany at the time. I recall the announcers saying the Connecticut players were all given a set number of tickets to the game to give to family members, but the basically all gave them to the German players so their families could see them for a change.

But then again, with this one being within US territory and close to the mainland, it might be a different story.

Was just giving you a hard time doc. Wasn't pissed off, hence the smiley face. ;)

I know that Madtown, I just had to give you some $hit back, I saw the smiley, and thought that maybe coming back the way I did would result in a pissing contest with I poster I enjoy reading. Whatever, Madtown, here's to ya, my friend: :drink: :drink: :drink:

I know that Madtown, I just had to give you some $hit back, I saw the smiley, and thought that maybe coming back the way I did would result in a pissing contest with I poster I enjoy reading. Whatever, Madtown, here's to ya, my friend: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Get a room guys.

for me this is year not getting Reid really hurts, if we would have gotten him and one other top recruit that we were trying to get i think we would have been actually favored in this game

for me this is year not getting Reid really hurts, if we would have gotten him and one other top recruit that we were trying to get i think we would have been actually favored in this game

I think Josh Martin is going to make us forget about Reid very quickly. Hopefully Carlos Morris is at least as good as Austin next year. If that happens then I really like our team.

I think Josh Martin is going to make us forget about Reid very quickly. Hopefully Carlos Morris is at least as good as Austin next year. If that happens then I really like our team.

I hope for that as well, but I don't think Carlos will be anywhere near as good as Austin NEXT YEAR.

I hope for that as well, but I don't think Carlos will be anywhere near as good as Austin NEXT YEAR.

That very well could be, but I'm still hoping. He was a top 150 recruit coming out of high school so I think it is a possibility.

That very well could be, but I'm still hoping. He was a top 150 recruit coming out of high school so I think it is a possibility.

Morris is a 4 star on scout

I hope so. Would make the progression of this team next year be very very nice, and elevate expectations for year 2 to where I would expect us to be in like year 4.

Positives: nice exposure for the program

Negatives: if the Gophs don't play well, that will color the national media's opinion of the team for the rest of the season.

Top Bottom