All Things Gary Trent Jr. Thread - Trent, Wendell Carter Talk Package Deal in Hot Tub

His dad is a non-issue. Mostly because GTJr. isn't in Minnesota's reach. This caliber of player hasn't (and will not) come to play for the Gophers. A key for building this program up is getting your Kevin Dorsey, Jordan Murphy, Shamorie Ponds, and Goanar Mar's of the recruiting ranks to commit here.

And here I though parents could be a pain at any school......not just MN.

Silly me.

His dad is a non-issue. Mostly because GTJr. isn't in Minnesota's reach. This caliber of player hasn't (and will not) come to play for the Gophers.

We got Rodney, Royce and Trevor, but your are right, no chance we land GT.

We got Rodney, Royce and Trevor, but your are right, no chance we land GT.

While Trent will likely be more highly rated than any of those three, I agree with your overall sentiment. We also landed, albeit longer ago, Humphries, Rickert, and Pryzbilla.

Different kids look for different things. Maybe Minnesota will be the best place for him? I personally doubt it, but that's more my Gopher pessimism than anything tangible lol

Matthew hurt is going to be the #1 recruit out of Minnesota ever.... Remember??? remember!?!?!!

While Trent will likely be more highly rated than any of those three

I'm pretty sure he will be ranked higher when all said and done, given his Kobe, Lebron, KG, etc. skills. but he is ranked 70 on the composite 247 for what it's worth (not much).

More highly rated than Royce? It sounds like his ranking will probably go up, but that's a big jump to get to Royce.

While Trent will likely be more highly rated than any of those three, I agree with your overall sentiment. We also landed, albeit longer ago, Humphries, Rickert, and Pryzbilla.

Different kids look for different things. Maybe Minnesota will be the best place for him? I personally doubt it, but that's more my Gopher pessimism than anything tangible lol

He's far and away the top scorer on the EYBL circuit as a sophomore. Add that in with legit size and strength, and a deadly 3-point stroke, and there's no way he isn't a top 15 recruit at worst when it's all said and done. Last I checked, we haven't landed a top 50 recruit in 7 years. No reason that would suddenly change now. (Although I really really hope it would soon!)

He's far and away the top scorer on the EYBL circuit as a sophomore. Add that in with legit size and strength, and a deadly 3-point stroke, and there's no way he isn't a top 15 recruit at worst when it's all said and done. Last I checked, we haven't landed a top 50 recruit in 7 years. No reason that would suddenly change now. (Although I really really hope it would soon!)

We're due!

No doubt he'll be higher than Royce. The reason why his ranking isn't that high is because he didn't play on one of the big circuits last year, he played 15U instead (I think).

He's leading 17U EYBL in scoring, by quite a bit and he's just a sophomore. He'll without a doubt be ranked higher than Royce White.

Royce.

No doubt he'll be higher than Royce. The reason why his ranking isn't that high is because he didn't play on one of the big circuits last year, he played 15U instead (I think).

He's leading 17U EYBL in scoring, by quite a bit and he's just a sophomore. He'll without a doubt be ranked higher than Royce White.

How many times do I have to say it? It's ALWAYS a bad idea to use absolutism.

(Also: if I've said it once, I've said it million times...stop exaggerating!)

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This quote is interesting and disheartening. It doesn't appear that Pitino is going to do much to get Trent:

Minnesota coach Richard Pitino offered Trent a scholarship after a summer camp at the U last year, but Trent Sr. said the Gophers "haven't really recruited him hard."

Could it be the Gophers don't think they have a shot?

"They offered him a scholarship and made some phone calls, but they haven't really been recruiting him," his father said. "I don't know what any school's plan of recruitment is. I don't know what any program is thinking. But my son is open to any school; that's No. 1. And No. 2, if you're trying to become an elite school, you'll never be elite until you recruit with that mind-set."

Trent, though, says he likes what Pitino is building with a talented young team at Minnesota, saying: "I see a lot of great things happening. If they keep it up, they'll have a great future."

Trent is not a guy that was going to be in the Gophers reach, so I'm not surprised. Have to make sure you're allocating your time well by going after the Shamorie's and Goanar Mar's of the recruiting world.

Sounds like Trent Sr. is pissed Richard isn't going to bend over backwards to woo his kid even though everyone knows he was never going to stay home.

Trent is not a guy that was going to be in the Gophers reach, so I'm not surprised. Have to make sure you're allocating your time well by going after the Shamorie's and Goanar Mar's of the recruiting world.

But to make that determination to take the foot off the gas and look elsewhere by his sophomore year when the true blue bloods haven't even offered him yet? That's a self-fulfilling prophecy then, because when you don't recruit a kid you're not going to get that kid. Perhaps he wouldn't come to the U even if Richard and staff recruited the hell out of him for 4 years, but he absolutely isn't coming here if he's not recruited at all, and to me that's disappointing.

Sounds like Trent Sr. is pissed Richard isn't going to bend over backwards to woo his kid even though everyone knows he was never going to stay home.

Actually I'm wondering if Richard decided he didn't want to deal with Trent Sr. and have a Kris Humphries all over again. The again Richard Coffey might be the same or worse than Trent Sr.

Richard has gone hard after 4 and 5 star recruits (which he presumedly did not have a shot at) in other places around the country, it's odd that he wouldn't go after one here in MN. There has to be more to this story.

Actually I'm wondering if Richard decided he didn't want to deal with Trent Sr. and have a Kris Humphries all over again. The again Richard Coffey might be the same or worse than Trent Sr.

No info other than reading dad's quotes and knowing parents well. Tim makes sense to me. Recruits from several states away don't typically come with parents.

Despite their parents quotes I would be shocked if Richard isn't recruiting both these guys to the extent the rules allow. I think we get Coffey but not Trent. To me Trent looks like a Tyus Jones impact one and done type. Coffey I'm not sold on near as much.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm not a recruiting expert but as far as I can tell Richard isn't allowed to contact Trent Jr. electronically or over the phone until June 15th, so I'm not really sure what Trent Sr. is expecting from Richard. There's not a whole lot he can do right now. However, if Pitino gets the vibe and/or is hearing he has no shot at Trent then I have no problem with him not wasting his time.

I'm not a recruiting expert but as far as I can tell Richard isn't allowed to contact Trent Jr. electronically or over the phone until June 15th, so I'm not really sure what Trent Sr. is expecting from Richard. There's not a whole lot he can do right now. However, if Pitino gets the vibe and/or is hearing he has no shot at Trent then I have no problem with him not wasting his time.

Trent is a very, very good player, but he is not the #1 recruit in the nation by a long ways away (or a blue blood lock). Watched him Saturday night at the EYBL, was not dominate by any stretch of the imagination.

His dad sits at the end of the HP bench and Trent looks to his fathers for direction after almost every play.

Top Bottom