All Things Gary Trent Jr. Thread - Trent, Wendell Carter Talk Package Deal in Hot Tub

Wow, kid looks like he's 20. Glad we offered, he'd be a great get. Still expecting Ohio State to nab him though.

Wow, kid looks like he's 20

Last year he looked like a kid, turned into a man over the past year.

The Brain Thrust thinks he has a special eye for talent, he doesn't. You would have to be a fool to not see it in this kid if you have watched him live.

I like that Ohio State seems to be sleeping on him a bit at this point.

ETA: Great job probing Ohio State's interest btw, GH Staff.

I like that Ohio State seems to be sleeping on him a bit at this point.

ETA: Great job probing Ohio State's interest btw, GH Staff.

Yeah, but they have years to get on board. If he likes Ohio State that much, then it won't matter when they offer.

I love the statement,

"It would be an honor to play for the home state school. I love Minnesota. It is nice here. It would be nice"

doesn't get much better than that!

So can somebody link me some quotes of him showing a lot of interest in Ohio state? I haven't seen anything.

So can somebody link me some quotes of him showing a lot of interest in Ohio state? I haven't seen anything.

I don't have a link but I believe his dad's old friend/teammate? is an assistant coach at Ohio State and he's considered almost an uncle to Gary Jr.

Hang on everyone...word is that in the next 24-30 months we should find out where Gary Trent Jr. plans on attending college.

Reminds me of William Gates, a la Hoop Dreams.

I don't have a link but I believe his dad's old friend/teammate? is an assistant coach at Ohio State and he's considered almost an uncle to Gary Jr.

Ohio State assistant Jeff Boals was a teammate of Gary Sr. at Ohio. They are close.

Ohio State assistant Jeff Boals was a teammate of Gary Sr. at Ohio

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/jeff_boals_754135.html

medium_Jeff%20Boals%20004.jpg

Hang on everyone...word is that in the next 24-30 months we should find out where Gary Trent Jr. plans on attending college.

Well that settles it everyone. Let's close this thread down until THE CUB SCOUT!!! has some more exclusive information for us.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Richard Pitino and assistant Kimaini Young are watching Gary Trent Jr. at the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UnderArmour?src=hash">#UnderArmour</a> Finals right now. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/490563020213739520">July 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Recent highlights from the Adidas Invitational:

Go Gophers!!

After Amir Coffey, Trent Jr. may be my most wanted recruit. Feel better about our chances with Amir though.

Recent highlights from the Adidas Invitational:

Go Gophers!!

Anyone know what age group he's playing there? Reason I'm asking is he doesn't look as physically gifted as he did in prior highlights/pictures. The Joe Coleman comparison from a stature standpoint looks accurate. I remember watching Joe when he was on Hopkins coming off the bench with the Royce White team and Joe was a very similar age/size at that time.

This kid is going to be special, going to need a couple exciting years to keep him home, and I'm thinking we can get it done.

After Amir Coffey, Trent Jr. may be my most wanted recruit. Feel better about our chances with Amir though.

In my opinion, the Gophers have a much better chance at Trent Jr. than Coffey, based on Richard Coffey's recruiting criteria he made public earlier this summer. I think these two are both going to be Top 30 recruits when their senior year rolls around. I think the Gophers have enough time to prove to Trent Jr. that the program can do big things, while I think Coffey is almost assuredly blue-blood bound.

In my opinion, the Gophers have a much better chance at Trent Jr. than Coffey, based on Richard Coffey's recruiting criteria he made public earlier this summer. I think these two are both going to be Top 30 recruits when their senior year rolls around. I think the Gophers have enough time to prove to Trent Jr. that the program can do big things, while I think Coffey is almost assuredly blue-blood bound.

I wouldn't take his quotes that literally. I think he just wants his son to be handling the ball a lot since that is when he is at his best. If we don't offer any point guards in his class and assure him the offense will frequently be run through him, we should have a really good shot.

I wouldn't take his quotes that literally. I think he just wants his son to be handling the ball a lot since that is when he is at his best. If we don't offer any point guards in his class and assure him the offense will frequently be run through him, we should have a really good shot.

+1

Not to mention Pitino has said from Day 1 that he likes to have multiple ball handlers on the floor at all times.

I'll give you the ball handling aspect, but I still have a hard time getting over his other quotes. I posted this about a month ago in another thread about the specific four things (and only four things mentioned) he was quoted as saying were important in the recruitment:

1. Game tape showing the use of big guards (next year our PG and SG spots will likely exclusively be filled by players standing 5'9", 6'2", 6'3", 6'1")
2. How it fares in its conference (Yes, we have a chance to be in the top 4 this upcoming year, but I'm assuming Coffey is looking for more of a track record)
3. Whether it reaches the NCAA tournament consistently (Again, we can't gain consistency in a year)
4. Whether it’s feeding its players to the NBA (not even close to fulfilling this recently)

I don't know about you, but I don't think we have anything better than a 10% chance at landing Amir. Tyus recruitment 2.0 in my opinion. I hope I'm wrong.

I'll give you the ball handling aspect, but I still have a hard time getting over his other quotes. I posted this about a month ago in another thread about the specific four things (and only four things mentioned) he was quoted as saying were important in the recruitment:

1. Game tape showing the use of big guards (next year our PG and SG spots will likely exclusively be filled by players standing 5'9", 6'2", 6'3", 6'1")
2. How it fares in its conference (Yes, we have a chance to be in the top 4 this upcoming year, but I'm assuming Coffey is looking for more of a track record)
3. Whether it reaches the NCAA tournament consistently (Again, we can't gain consistency in a year)
4. Whether it’s feeding its players to the NBA (not even close to fulfilling this recently)

I don't know about you, but I don't think we have anything better than a 10% chance at landing Amir. Tyus recruitment 2.0 in my opinion. I hope I'm wrong.

I remember that post, and you are absolutely right. Part of me wants to go conspiracy theory and think this is just Richard being smart and setting up a smoke screen. IF they decide to go elsewhere he can lean back on his requirements and absolve his kid of any scrutiny. He intentionally mentioned 4 things he KNEW the U couldn't accomplish and publicly stated those things.

In reality it's open season and he's listening to what we have to say and what we do. If he takes the UofM offer, then bam an even bigger win for the U and Pitino and his son overcame his fathers wishes and stayed home to be the hero. I would agree the % is likely 10, but thats probably better than we ever had with Tyus.

I remember that post, and you are absolutely right. Part of me wants to go conspiracy theory and think this is just Richard being smart and setting up a smoke screen. IF they decide to go elsewhere he can lean back on his requirements and absolve his kid of any scrutiny. He intentionally mentioned 4 things he KNEW the U couldn't accomplish and publicly stated those things.

In reality it's open season and he's listening to what we have to say and what we do. If he takes the UofM offer, then bam an even bigger win for the U and Pitino and his son overcame his fathers wishes and stayed home to be the hero. I would agree the % is likely 10, but thats probably better than we ever had with Tyus.
Why?

ummm misworded... I should have added the word "around", I've got no insight as to why that would be, just spitballing.

Because I think we have a 10% chance to land him, probably as good if not better than anyone else. I'd take 10% out of how many schools there are likely recruiting him?

ummm misworded... I should have added the word "around", I've got no insight as to why that would be, just spitballing.

Because I think we have a 10% chance to land him, probably as good if not better than anyone else. I'd take 10% out of how many schools there are likely recruiting him?

So you still think we are the front runner or are at least in serious consideration, correct?

Top Bottom