All Things Gary Trent Jr. Thread - Trent, Wendell Carter Talk Package Deal in Hot Tub

Trent is a very, very good player, but he is not the #1 recruit in the nation by a long ways away (or a blue blood lock). Watched him Saturday night at the EYBL, was not dominate by any stretch of the imagination.

His dad sits at the end of the HP bench and Trent looks to his fathers for direction after almost every play.

Richard's experience with parents like the Ellenson's could be causing him to be wary of Trent senior. At least Coffey is a legacy recruit. Trent senior has no ties to the Gopher program.

Richard's experience with parents like the Ellenson's could be causing him to be wary of Trent senior. At least Coffey is a legacy recruit. Trent senior has no ties to the Gopher program.

Yeah but the Ellenson's weren't drafted 11th in the NBA draft, playing 9 seasons in the NBA. Trent senior probably knows a thing or two.

Trent is a very, very good player, but he is not the #1 recruit in the nation by a long ways away (or a blue blood lock). Watched him Saturday night at the EYBL, was not dominate by any stretch of the imagination.

He might not face a frontcourt that physically imposing his entire college career. Trent is 100% a blue blood caliber recruit.

His dad sits at the end of the HP bench and Trent looks to his fathers for direction after almost every play.

I agree, he's a very good shooter but he's not a top 20 recruit at this point, he's playing a year up so a years development may make all the difference in the world. Interesting to see how he compares against EYBL talent next year at this point.

I agree, he's a very good shooter but he's not a top 20 recruit at this point, he's playing a year up so a years development may make all the difference in the world. Interesting to see how he compares against EYBL talent next year at this point.

There are plenty of Top 25 juniors that are downright inefficient in the EYBL, then come back and dominate as seniors. De'Aaron Fox, VJ King, even Jayson Tatum are prime examples from the 2016 class. Leading the entire league in scoring as a junior is unprecedented, so you don't need to wait until next year to know how he will do against his own age group.

For perspective, consider that junior year Trent was much better than senior year Rashad Vaughn. Junior year Trent and junior year Coffey aren't even remotely close.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Zags blog: At USA Basketball, Wendell Carter Jr., Gary Trent Jr., Talking Potential Package

Two years ago, Duke landed a big man and a guard in a package deal that eventually resulted in the 2015 national championship.

Now, just a couple of months after Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones led the Blue Devils to the NCAA title, two other young prospects have discussed a similar package deal while soaking in the ice bath at the USA Basketball training facility in Colorado Springs, CO.

That would be 6-10 big man Wendell Carter Jr. of Atlanta (GA) Pace and 6-5 shooting guard Gary Trent Jr. of Apple Valley (MN), two Class of 2017 stars who made the USA U16 team.

“Me and Gary, we kind of decided to go to school together,” Carter Jr. told SNY.tv by phone just as Game 1 of the NBA Finals was about to begin. “I don’t know if it’s going to be official but we’re going to try to. We’re going to try to put Jarred [Vanderbilt] in the [mix] too.”

Asked if they had any schools in mind, Carter Jr., said: “Me and Gary’s top right now would probably be Duke, but we’re both open to all. I don’t want to speak for him, I’m open for all colleges….It’s whatever fits me.”

Trent Jr. also said the two had discussed the package while in the ice bath at the Olympic Training Center.

“It’s very serious,” Trent Jr. said. “We play great together. I saw him play a couple times this summer, he saw me play a couple times this summer. We was just chilling in the hot tub and just got to talking about schools and we were like, ‘Man, if we went to school together and found other players, if we went together, something great could happen.’ So you can say it’s pretty serious.”

http://zagsblog.com/articles/at-usa...r-jr-gary-trent-jr-talking-potential-package/

Go Gophers!!

Zags blog: At USA Basketball, Wendell Carter Jr., Gary Trent Jr., Talking Potential Package

Two years ago, Duke landed a big man and a guard in a package deal that eventually resulted in the 2015 national championship.

Now, just a couple of months after Jahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones led the Blue Devils to the NCAA title, two other young prospects have discussed a similar package deal while soaking in the ice bath at the USA Basketball training facility in Colorado Springs, CO.

That would be 6-10 big man Wendell Carter Jr. of Atlanta (GA) Pace and 6-5 shooting guard Gary Trent Jr. of Apple Valley (MN), two Class of 2017 stars who made the USA U16 team.

“Me and Gary, we kind of decided to go to school together,” Carter Jr. told SNY.tv by phone just as Game 1 of the NBA Finals was about to begin. “I don’t know if it’s going to be official but we’re going to try to. We’re going to try to put Jarred [Vanderbilt] in the [mix] too.”

Asked if they had any schools in mind, Carter Jr., said: “Me and Gary’s top right now would probably be Duke, but we’re both open to all. I don’t want to speak for him, I’m open for all colleges….It’s whatever fits me.”

Trent Jr. also said the two had discussed the package while in the ice bath at the Olympic Training Center.

“It’s very serious,” Trent Jr. said. “We play great together. I saw him play a couple times this summer, he saw me play a couple times this summer. We was just chilling in the hot tub and just got to talking about schools and we were like, ‘Man, if we went to school together and found other players, if we went together, something great could happen.’ So you can say it’s pretty serious.”

http://zagsblog.com/articles/at-usa...r-jr-gary-trent-jr-talking-potential-package/

Go Gophers!!

Lebron James posse formation in process. Ever since Lebron did this in Miami kids want to copy it. It's a modern disease.

Not to be pessimistic but... He definitely isn't coming here.

Have to agree. Plenty of good players out there and our formula for success should probably be top 150 kids and finding sleepers. More of a Jerry Kill philosophy and keep groups together for four years. Even more so in basketball than football this works. Witness many mid majors that are among the best every year. Between these packages deals and dealing with would seems to be more and more crazy parents, AAU and social media recruiting would suck.

Nonsense, we'll be in his Final 3 ... well, maybe Final 5 ... Final 7?

I'm part of the problem by virtue of being a fan and clicking on threads like this, but it's a sick, sick world out there. His life, he's a school kid, the attention has to be cool for him, don't blame him at all--but, JHC, he's a frickin' kid playing ball and his every utterance will be dissected and discussed like he'll eventually tell us the meaning of life. "Modern disease" is right, bga1.

I'm uncomfortable with "package" and "hot tub" in the same sentence.

See ya! We don't have many open scholarships and 2017 has other solid recruits so I'm pretty "meh whatever" about this coming out right now.

I'd be willing to take Carter if we had to in order to get Trent.

I'd be willing to take Carter if we had to in order to get Trent.

I guess. If we had to. And if they forced another 5 star on us because their a package, I guess we'd have to grin and bear it.

Time for a grumpy old man rant:

When it comes to college basketball recruiting, it really seems like the tail is wagging the dog. I have a really difficult time accepting the current state of affairs, with people fawning over 15 and 16-year-old kids and treating them like royalty. Unless a kid is unusually grounded for that age, and has some really strong parental support, it's no wonder that these kids get their heads twisted and start expecting the "star" treatment.

And now you have these "package deals," with kids trying to dictate their futures.

I would much rather have kids who don't think they're the center of the universe - who are more likely to accept coaching, and make a commitment to the program - not just looking for a stopover on the way to the NBA.

If I was king of the universe, I would eliminate the entire AAU system, and put the emphasis back on high school programs.

Kids trying to dictate their futures is now a problem....

Holy cow, I can't believe I just read that.

Quite the leap that these kids have poor parents just because they are good basketball players being recruited by national powerhouses.

Yeah, odd way to articulate that particular argument or fristration.

Yeah I don't think package deals are a sign of bad parenting, entitlement, or a "problem with today's youth" or anything. But I think it's only going to help the rich get richer and decrease parity in the sport. Gary Trent isn't gonna pull Wendell Carter to Minnesota, and Carter isn't gonna pull Trent to Gerogia, and so the hometown school isn't an option for either of them and they both end up at Duke or Kentucky or something.

Doesn't make them morally bankrupt or entitled imo, but you could question whether it's good for the sport or not.

per Shama:

Trent, the son of former Timberwolves player Gary Trent, is a shooting guard or wing who will be a junior at Apple Valley next season. He’s a key recruiting target of the Gophers but the competition will be intense with Trent’s long list of offers including national power Kansas, according to Rivals.com.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Not saying it couldn't happen but

Time for a grumpy old man rant:

When it comes to college basketball recruiting, it really seems like the tail is wagging the dog. I have a really difficult time accepting the current state of affairs, with people fawning over 15 and 16-year-old kids and treating them like royalty. Unless a kid is unusually grounded for that age, and has some really strong parental support, it's no wonder that these kids get their heads twisted and start expecting the "star" treatment.

And now you have these "package deals," with kids trying to dictate their futures.

I would much rather have kids who don't think they're the center of the universe - who are more likely to accept coaching, and make a commitment to the program - not just looking for a stopover on the way to the NBA.

If I was king of the universe, I would eliminate the entire AAU system, and put the emphasis back on high school programs.

High schools and colleges play their seasons in the winter. It'd be pretty difficult to evaluate players if there was no organized summer basketball. Travel costs would be astronomical...going to see one kid in a day in winter versus 100 per day now in the summer.

[/B]

High schools and colleges play their seasons in the winter. It'd be pretty difficult to evaluate players if there was no organized summer basketball. Travel costs would be astronomical...going to see one kid in a day in winter versus 100 per day now in the summer.

Not if everyone just went to their local university.

Top Bottom