All Things Gary Trent Jr. Thread - Trent, Wendell Carter Talk Package Deal in Hot Tub

On the parenting thing - just to be clear - here's what I'm saying.

when I was 15 or 16, if I had been a really good athlete, my dad would have told me to keep my head on straight and don't get carried away by all the attention. I'm not accusing anyone of "bad parenting" - I'm just saying that it's easy for kids to get caught up in the hype, and the better support system they have, the more likely they are to stay grounded. That's part of my discomfort with the AAU system - the coaches, "talent scouts" and hangers-on that populate that world in hopes of latching onto a meal ticket. I'm not saying kids don't get the star treatment in high school, but high school programs take place in a school setting with coaches and administrators who, in theory provide some buffer between the kids and the less savory aspects of the recruiting scene.

And speaking of recruiting - there were summer camps and clinics in the 60's and 70's for player evaluation - you just didn't have HS kids jetting around the country to a different tournament every weekend.

I may be the only person who feels this way, but it's how I feel and I'm being honest about it.

To me all of this "package deal" stuff is kids wanting to play basketball with their friends. They have a choice here. If you had a choice to work with your best friends who also help you be better at your career wouldn't you do it?? It has nothing to do with ego or their parents.

To me all of this "package deal" stuff is kids wanting to play basketball with their friends. They have a choice here. If you had a choice to work with your best friends who also help you be better at your career wouldn't you do it?? It has nothing to do with ego or their parents.

+1

Good grief, you can't be that naive. It's kids who have been catered to since they started playing. They have special talents and they know it and they also know it gives them status and power.

Playing with friends is certainly part of it, but bettering their chance to be in the spotlight trumps that. These are kids who have had special treatment since they started playing, and it's only human nature to seek more. Sorry to be cynical, but Tyus values his championship and the fact he raised his draft position in one year a lot more than the moments he spent with BFF, Okafor.

The kid has every right to do this but it sucks for a school like Minnesota when these partnerships are formed. Whatever chance we have to get the rare special player this state produces is totally gone when the kid forms an alliance with a star from somewhere else. It gives a school like Duke an extra recruiting advantage like that need one. There're probably less than a dozen schools who have a chance to get a package deal of Top 25 players and we ain't one of them.

They have special talents and they know it and they also know it The kid has every right to do this but it sucks for a school like Minnesota when these partnerships are formed. Whatever chance we have to get the rare special player this state produces is totally gone when the kid forms an alliance with a star from somewhere else. It gives a school like Duke an extra recruiting advantage like that need one. There're probably less than a dozen schools who have a chance to get a package deal of Top 25 players and we ain't one of them.[/QUOTE/]

100% agree right now no elite caliber players dream of forming a package deal to play at MN.

'Man, if we went to school together and found other players, if we went together, something great could happen.’ So you can say it’s pretty serious.”

So-I-guess-0oj680.jpg

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That sound you hear is the final nail being driven into the coffin. Let's move on, shall we?

Damn..Duke again...there is 2% chance he loves MN ads much as we all do

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New Rivals Top 100 for 2017 HS Hoops. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Gophers?src=hash">#Gophers</a> recruits include:
#10: Trent
#19 Diallo
<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/73Mar?src=hash">#73Mar</a>
#79 Wilson
#80 Washington
#87 John
#95 Lewis</p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/status/615986775681560576">June 30, 2015</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Forget about that kid Gary. I wish he would go to a prep school. Another fifty page thread on why I could marry a Playboy centerfold is every bit as realistic as him being a Gopher. If High School kids could go straight to the pros I really think the college game would be better off in the long run. The college game wouldn't be hurt in the least imo. The only schools it would hurt, Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and Kansas. Be good to see their big name coaches be on a little leveler playing field. It would curtail package deals and over zealous parents to at least some extent. I hope he had a good soak.

Go Gophers!!

So to recap... He now has Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, Ohio State, and Michigan State offers. If he isn't one-and-done blue blood material, I don't know what is.

So to recap... He now has Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, Ohio State, and Michigan State offers. If he isn't one-and-done blue blood material, I don't know what is.

Most of the players who go to those schools aren't one-and-dones.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Is it really necessary to post the same tweet in 3 different threads?

did Gary tweet anything about Amir?

Coach K was at Apple Valley tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hard to imagine a bluer blood trip than this one.

Top Bottom